• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Pretty much what I expected, which is to say this does nothing for me personally.

It's cool for those who enjoy this or like turn-based mechanics but I'm done with this franchise for the time being.

That said, for what it is, it looks very good and I hope it does well enough for the studio. They have certainly earned the right to diverge even if that pivot leaves some of the fanbase cold.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
I expected it to be a bit faster than that. But still only a small peak. We will see later how fast the combat can go.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Still optimistic. I like Yokohama, so I'm down to hang out in the condensed version lots.

Not into pachislot. I've played it once, because my Japanese friend wanted me to try and paid for me. Worst environment to be in. Absolutely hate pachinko places. I only have bad associations with them and don't want to be in one. I don't like that real pachinko stuff is in the game, but maybe it appeals to the Japanese audiences for these games.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Looks great. The gameplay seems to be a little at odds with the interview write-up, though. In that interview they said you couldn't just run to enemies to attack them. Others would stop you or get in the way. That was definitely not the case in the gameplay section. This might just be an old build or that's more the case for higher level fights (this seemed pretty early in the game).
Nonetheless, can't wait to play it myself!

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
So now that there's official gameplay footage, under various situations, can I say that it looks bad?
It looks slow and unchallenging, the enemies just move around you, pacing is off...
Minigames are cool, but that's the usual with Yakuza, and you don't really play a game for that (although it seems they focused on that). Definitely skipping it now.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018

This looks totally bonkers, and I can't wait!

Given that Judgement was released in the west ~6 months after the Japanese release, I'm hoping for summer 2020; which would definitely give it breathing room from the onslaught of Q1 AAA titles.

Also, not having Yakuza 7 compete with Shin Sakura Taisen so two Sega games are not fighting for customers at the same time.

So now that there's official gameplay footage, under various situations, can I say that it looks bad?
It looks slow and unchallenging, the enemies just move around you, pacing is off...
Minigames are cool, but that's the usual with Yakuza, and you don't really play a game for that (although it seems they focused on that). Definitely skipping it now.

Are any current Yakuza games actually challenging though from a battle mechanic standpoint? I just mash 3-4 combos the whole time and get through just fine.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
Hopefully in the actual game you can basically just spam heat actions and one shot random enemies, because I genuinely can't understand how someone would call the actual gameplay footage fast or fluid. Certainly not compared to the traditional games. Sure, it looks amazing in the gameplay trailer where they've cut it to be 99% heat actions and people getting hit by cars, but the extended clips of the combat system look significantly worse.

The other 99% of the game looks like it could contend with 5 as far as quantity of cool side content is concerned though, and I'd gladly exchange some weak-ass combat for a game that could potential rival 5 on other fronts.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
God, this looks so good. This might be my most anticipated game right now.

dubq

Oct 27, 2017
The "free" movement + turn based actions make me think of Valkyria Chronicles. I'm into this more than ever now.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Are any current Yakuza games actually challenging though from a battle mechanic standpoint? I just mash 3-4 combos the whole time and get through just fine.
Bosses, Mr Shakedown, thugs with knives and guns...? You can't really say you can just mash in Yakuza games to defend the fact you like the RPG system here. It's not bringing anything special and you can't argue that it's as fast as the action gameplay seriously.

Kikujiro

Oct 27, 2017

No, but since they are brawlers, you just punch them hard and fast and move on, most of the fights don't even last thirty seconds. In this case even a simple fight may last two or three minutes, because the characters are waiting for their turns to do something. Looking at the footage I'm not convinced, even a simple attack animation takes too long (in comparison Persona 5 attacking animations are snappy and fast). I hope they release a demo so we can feel the pacing of the battles (and the game itself) ourselves.

Everything else looks fantastic because it's the same old Yakuza with more craziness.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
That was as annoyingly slow and unstimulating as I thought it was going to be. Battles are going to take forever, and the encounter rate will probably be just as bad as it always is. I think the bicycle area was really telling, because in any other Yakuza, you'd pick one up and the fight was over in 10 seconds. In this, I had to stop the video since it was taking so long.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Bosses, Mr Shakedown, thugs with knives and guns...? You can't really say you can just mash in Yakuza games to defend the fact you like the RPG system here. It's not bringing anything special and you can't argue that it's as fast as the action gameplay seriously.

I agree -- RPG mechanics will certainly be slower than a straight brawler. It will depend on the encounter rate; maybe there will be story-centric level that has minimal random fights.

Just a combination of blocking/quick-step/and punching but nothing overly taxing. For me, it'll depend on how the characters interact during battle. If it's more like Chrono Trigger where you have team composition-specific moves then I'm all for it. If it's more straightforward attack selection then I'll likewise be disappointed; but in 2019 I doubt that'll be the case.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
Streams back on

They showed some combat. I wasn't paying attention, but I think combat ended when MC died? If so, that's fucked up.

Now they're showing off the slot machines :P

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't really make sense having these random, civilian looking team mates, wouldn't other Yakuza make more sense.