• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018

That's... kinda crazy? In the end I think it was a good change considering the reception to the actual game was fantastic and it's not like Yakuza combat was the deepest anyways. It also makes me think if it might be possible to reimplement the action combat in the future.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Wow. That's honestly amazing they were able to shift gears so completely.

Like it's SUCH a JRPG-ass game it almost feels unbelievable.

Oct 27, 2017
This is interesting, but it seems a little bit exaggerated to me?

Like I can buy that may be the original concept was to continue the series as usual but I have to believe that they were heavily planning with the idea of going into an RPG direction with it, otherwise that seems like a massive fundamental overhaul for a game that had no doubt been in the planning stages and early development stages to make such a drastic shift that quickly.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
They said action combat would come back if Yakuza 7 was badly received, which wasn't the case at all.

I think we'll have a healthy mix of action and turn based. My dream is a Yakuza 0 style dual character game where onecharacter is action and the other turn based

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
If find that surprising, the combat mechanisms resonate so well with the story and with Ichiban. It's very meta, and a perfect fit. I can't believe it's an afterthought.

24thFrame

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 16, 2020
I'm still waiting for a Series X to start my copy, but I'm fine with the change. It even seems like it might be for the best. I'm sure some will disagree, but the combat was never the part of Yakuza I enjoyed. I liked exploring the world, seeing the story, witnessing the insane sidequests, playing all of the mini-games. The combat was never bad, but it's never what drew me to the games.

Oct 27, 2017
That's funny to hear. I could see them make more Judgment games and keep traditional Yakuza combat in that, while keeping the main series turn based.

Zache

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing they were thinking about switching to turn-based/prototyping and threw the April Fool's video out as a feeler

Anyway I'm happy about the change and Yakuza 7 will be the first Yakuza game I complete because of it.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza has had a million beat 'em up games. I'd prefer they stick with the turn based RPG stuff and go even further with Yakuza 8.

Yakuza always wanted to be an RPG, anyway.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm legit not sure if I believe that fully. The game is so entrenched in the party/turn based system down to the writing of the story. It would shock me if it was a more general brawler originally.

Also the game is amazing, and peak yakuza. I hope they continue down this road in the future honestly with maybe some tweaks. I don't ever want a yakuza without a party going forward as someone who already loved the series.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I mean you can kind of see the old combat system under the hood. The reuse of animations and the use of AI like enemies that would kick objects in the way at you.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
I didn't have my good ass brawler because people liked the April Fool's joke and they spent the rest of the year changing the combat system? LMFAO

This is so disappointing.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Remind me not to like any "april fools" videos ever again then. I thought it would be a side activity but the whole game? If I knew it would be the main game itself then I would have hated that video.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Wow that's nuts lol

Really enjoying my time with the game but I'm still unsure if I want the series to continue this way, even as a huge RPG fan. Maybe that will change the more I play.

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
Funny that some minutes after they said they were making a Yakuza RPG I instantly recalle dthat April's Fools video. Hell, look what one good done April's Fools video can do.

Akumatica

Oct 25, 2017
nagoshi.png

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
If I had to guess, this is an exaggeration and they were probably prototyping both turn based and traditional brawler and used the April Fools video reception as a tie breaker with the decision to go fully turn based or to keep traditional style gameplay.

Either way, I am glad that they decided to go turn based, it looks so much more fun

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well I'm enjoying the hell out of the combat so good I guess. The old combat was serviceable but always felt like it lacked solid direction.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't have my good ass brawler because people liked the April Fool's joke and they spent the rest of the year changing the combat system? LMFAO

This is so disappointing.

Remind me not to like any "april fools" videos ever again then. I thought it would be a side activity but the whole game? If I knew it would be the main game itself then I would have hated that video.

Nah, combat is the best it's ever been now.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As a big turn based fan, I seriously respect the boldness of the move. I have some problems with it in its current implementation, but I sincerely hope they stick with it and make it even better- it's such a unique and awesome fit for Yakuza.

Chumunga64

Banned
Jun 22, 2018
Good, after playing so many yakuza games, fatigue started setting in and I can't imagine being a fan who got into it after 0 blew up

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I always assumed the standard Yakuza formula would be carried on in the Judge Eyes/Judgement games but is there even any plans to make more of those?