• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza-Like-a-Dragon-Details-Fami_09-11-19.jpg

New info from Famitsu:
Summons

By paying money on your smartphone in battle, you can summon help. A large number of characters can be summoned, including Gary Buster Holmes, Gonda Wara, a crayfish, and more. Summons can support you in battle through attack, recovery, and more.
Play Spots
  • Dragon Kart – A racing game set on a course in the streets of Yokosuka. Pick up boxes to obtain weapons like a rocket launcher or Gatling gun.
  • Traditional Movie Theater – Ichiban Kasuga always falls asleep in the middle of a movie. This is a button-pressing (rhythm game?) where Kasuga battles the temptation of a sheep man in order to overcome that sleepiness.

More stuff here: https://gematsu.com/2019/09/yakuza-like-a-dragon-has-summons-kart-racing-pachislot-and-more

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone is wondering, Gonda Wara is a particular character that shows up in a side story of Yakuza 2/Kiwami 2. THAT side story ;)
Seeing GBH turn up is always a joy, I love the guy and hopefully his Japanese is just as bad as ever.

Pachislots is a bit of a meh announcement to be honest. Going through Yakuza 5 just now and its easily the least interesting mini game, though the detail on the machines is excellent at least, so that'll be cool.

Racing should be fun, between F Zero GX and Daytona I have faith that Nagoshi won't make a bad racer mini game. I mean, Taxi racing in 5 was amazing and I personally loved Drone Racing as well once you nailed the controls (as clearing the interior of the millenium tower flawlessly was an amazing experience, though darn hard to do in Drone Racing).

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Do I need to play every Yakuza before this to enjoy it?
Nah, this one is also a fresh start like Judgment, so you can jump in without playing any of the others.

I really hope one of the movies we can struggle to stay awake during is Yakuza Sunset. Before anyone asks what that is:

662px-Substory55_YakuzaSunset4.jpg

I would also like to explore the works of Stephen Spining (Indiana Jeans maybe?).

Zaber

Alt account
Banned
Sep 11, 2019
This is going to be crazy. I'm not too upset with them changing up combat. I'm actually looking forward to it. We've got Judgement and maybe other spin off games like Fist of the North Star for the usual action packed "Yakuza experience".

Do I need to play every Yakuza before this to enjoy it?
Not at all. I'd just like to recommend the series in general, though. It's one of my favorite series.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
This is going to be crazy. I'm not too upset with them changing up combat. I'm actually looking forward to it. We've got Judgement and maybe other spin off games like Fist of the North Star for the usual action packed "Yakuza experience".

Not at all. I'd just like to recommend the series in general, though. It's one of my favorite series.
I loved 0 but not played the others yet. I just have a massive backlog. Currently playing FOTNS being a fan of the anime and then I wanna play Judgement as I really like the look of it. Then I'll get round to Yakuza starting with Kiwami....it's gonna be years probably before I get to this one lol. Won't be surprised if I end up playing it on PS5 as it'll be BC.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
Ahhhhh shit this game gonna be rad! Can't wait to see more gameplay soon.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
sidequests to unlock new summon. that's got to be how you get more summon, rights? it's perfect

like that crayfish summon is probably from some fishing minigame sidequests or something

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You people know what this means right.

Nagoshi is working on a new racing game.

It's a mini-game but it counts!

Jamie OD

Oct 27, 2017
Please let the racing minigame be a piss take of the Mario Kart street tours in Akihabara. I want to race against tourists dressed in blatant knock off Nintendo costumes.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
Oh man I'm really struggling in this battle let me just call up a crayfish on my mobile phone. I'm super excited for this game.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'd love it if we get even more video game pastiches if we're getting Mario Kart of all things

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
  • Traditional Movie Theater – Ichiban Kasuga always falls asleep in the middle of a movie. This is a button-pressing (rhythm game?) where Kasuga battles the temptation of a sheep man in order to overcome that sleepiness.

this just keeps getting better and better.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Kart racing in Yokosuka. I wonder if there are any sailors around there... hehe. Very excited for the game. It sounds wild.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
Kart racing is perfect for a more expanded Yakuza game. I've always thought that Bully was one of the closest comparables to the Yakuza series, so having some kart racing in Yakuza just brings the two games closer in my mind :D Fingers crossed for the long-shot possibility that you can unlock the kart and drive it around outside of the racing minigame.

Summons sound really good. Definitely need an Ono Michio summon.

I'm minorly concerned that this game could take a shark jumping turn by turning up the density of outlandish things, but it's hard to tell whether the game is turning up the degree of wackiness even further or if they're just focusing on the super wacky stuff in the early information reveals.