• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
EEPeNsBU0AAKqKP

Someone translate

Is that Nugget?

Kokekokko - yep that is nugget :)

Larsa

Oct 25, 2017
i need this now. it looks great.

y_5d79d41f64b9c.jpg

also theme song by Yasutaka Nakata and Shonan no Kaze (they also did 0). weird and cool combo. hopefully it will be in the western release.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Are these the only arcade games? It is a shame if they don't have new games in this one. I wanted Afterburner Climax and Outrun 2.
Both are licensed and therefore almost certainly won't be used. So, no offence but those picks were only ever setting yourself up for disappointment. I'd love to get Scud Racer and Daytona 2, but that was never happening either.
More realisticly I wanted Monkey Ball and Spikeout, games which don't actually have licensing to get in the way of things. We might see more arcade games revealed later, Judge Eyes did after all, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I want more BOXCELIOS
I just wish they'd take that, the semi sequel they included in 4 and Gunrhein (in 5) and plop them into this. No need to add anything, I just love those games loads. I was really disappointed when 5 only featured Gunrhein.

Oct 27, 2017
Both are licensed and therefore almost certainly won't be used. So, no offence but those picks were only ever setting yourself up for disappointment. I'd love to get Scud Racer and Daytona 2, but that was never happening either.
More realisticly I wanted Monkey Ball and Spikeout, games which don't actually have licensing to get in the way of things. We might see more arcade games revealed later, Judge Eyes did after all, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I just wish they'd take that, the semi sequel they included in 4 and Gunrhein (in 5) and plop them into this. No need to add anything, I just love those games loads. I was really disappointed when 5 only featured Gunrhein.
Yeah I know about the licenses, I would have liked if they replaced the licensed stuff with different fictional models like what they did in Outrun 1. This way they would future proof the games and be able to rerelease them without issues.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
This game looks so good but not knowing if I'm going to like it sucks!

The logo is interesting. Makes me think they want to push away the "Yakuza" and may call the next one Like A Dragon 2.

OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Most RPG with job systems changes your character's appearance, so this isn't out of the norm. But here, the jobs are made to fit into modern setting instead of medieval warrior, monk or mage so it's quite unique. Really liking what I'm seeing here. Probably the first time I'm excited for a Yakuza game.
Haven't played any RPGs with job systems before so I was surprised by that.

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
This is the shot in the arm the series needed! Excited to play this most definitely.

Metalmucil

Aug 17, 2019
18 years later ... looks exactly the same. Love it!
I just started playing Kiwami 2 (my first Yakuza game) and I am super excited for this.

Jul 24, 2018
Yeah, I'm not really liking the look of the combat still, so I'll just hope we see some classic brawler Yakuza with Judgment or future sequels.

Everything else looks pretty good though.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks extremely not for me. I'd still get it since I'm a Yakuza fan and everything apart from the combat looks amazing...but I just don't like not being in control and not moving around fast all over the place doing whatever I want at any given time. I really hate the changes more and more with every new clip I see.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Looks great and looking forward to trying the new fighting system. It also has a space laser so can't wait to check it out.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I know about the licenses, I would have liked if they replaced the licensed stuff with different fictional models like what they did in Outrun 1. This way they would future proof the games and be able to rerelease them without issues.
That's probably too much effort for a mini game for another game. Only reason Outrun 1 was included in its edited form was because the work was done ages ago in previous ports. Its extra time and work the devs probably don't have going by how tight the deadlines on the games seem to be. Or maybe they don't want to edit them (as no other ports of stuff like Sega Rally have been done in ages). Who knows, either way I'd not get any hopes up for licensed games to appear in any Yakuza game, current or future.

Oct 27, 2017
That's probably too much effort for a mini game for another game. Only reason Outrun 1 was included in its edited form was because the work was done ages ago in previous ports. Its extra time and work the devs probably don't have going by how tight the deadlines on the games seem to be. Or maybe they don't want to edit them (as no other ports of stuff like Sega Rally have been done in ages). Who knows, either way I'd not get any hopes up for licensed games to appear in any Yakuza game, current or future.
Very true.

I will settle for a Golden Axe Revenge of Death Adder then!
Hopefully Yakuza 8 has it.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
I had no idea how much I wanted it until they showed it to me

The Yakuza world that they've created works so well with the RPG template. I'm amazed.

I'm so in

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Very true.

I will settle for a Golden Axe Revenge of Death Adder then!
Hopefully Yakuza 8 has it.

I mean, where the heck is the port on that game? Hopefully the Sega Ages event this week has it as a port is way overdue (should have happened on the Saturn dammit). I'd love Planet Harriers as well, though I get the feeling that's a rather niche game that me and 10 other people are asking for.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, where the heck is the port on that game? Hopefully the Sega Ages event this week has it as a port is way overdue (should have happened on the Saturn dammit). I'd love Planet Harriers as well, though I get the feeling that's a rather niche game that me and 10 other people are asking for.
I heard they were going to make a port for the saturn but dropped it due to the Dreamcast. I hate life sometimes...

As for other games they should bring, Give me Dynamite Deka and Zombie Revenge for that brawler goodness!
Never played Planet Harries. I might have to change that when I get the time.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Did any of the videos show anything about gear? Can't watch the videos right now. Since we're full JRPG at this point, I was wondering if they have a proper gear system in place too, with weapons and armors and accessories and so on.

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
Looks amazing, I'm sold. Although I am slightly concerned about the story repeating familiar tropes. Also, 18 years in prison and he doesn't change at all lol. I know I shouldn't be surprised and it's almost like a defining aspect of Japanese characters, but still.

Oct 27, 2017
Did any of the videos show anything about gear? Can't watch the videos right now. Since we're full JRPG at this point, I was wondering if they have a proper gear system in place too, with weapons and armors and accessories and so on.
They showed different clothes for different "jobs".

It will probably end up being like the classic Final Fantasy where they have different outfits depending on what job you use.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
I was pretty bummed about the combat change (and I'd still like if future spinoffs were best'em ups) but the job system turned me around. That's my favourite system in RPGs

Day 1!

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god. When that guy got hit by the car during combat. It looked so satisfying. And when that lady kicked him through the store window!!!

The dragon engine putting in that work!!!!!! I THINK IM OVER IT BEING TURNED BASED GUYS! ITS OKAY NOW!!!!

ara

Oct 26, 2017
They showed different clothes for different "jobs".

It will probably end up being like the classic Final Fantasy where they have different outfits depending on what job you use.

I saw that (and it looks very cool), but I'm talking more about being able to find and buy gear that you can equip that'll give you passive stat boosts and other bonuses (like inmunities to status effects and stuff like that). Like in your traditional Final Fantasies and such.

Oct 27, 2017
I saw that (and it looks very cool), but I'm talking more about being able to find and buy gear that you can equip that'll give you passive stat boosts and other bonuses (like inmunities to status effects and stuff like that). Like in your traditional Final Fantasies and such.
You mean helmets and stuff?

I heard something along that line but I forgot where. It is very possible it is in.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Everything looks great. Still worried about it being an RPG. I wonder if this is their attempt to actually rebrand Yakuza in the west to get more market appeal? So the next game will be Yakuza: Like a Dragon 2.

LAM09

Oct 25, 2017
Still not digging the combat. I have no idea what boss fights are going to look like.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
That sort of stuff, yeah! Hope it's in, it won't be a proper JRPG to me if I can't obtain gamebreaking gear through trickery and/or grinding.
Equippable gear like that is in yeah, you always had that stuff in old Yakuza games and they've confirmed you can get gear by buying it (and Kamiyama's modding is probably back).

Wait how come it has summons? Is it supernatural? Can't wait
Well you summon characters via your phone, and most are "normal" characters you meet in the game - several of which are nods to past characters in the series (Nugget, Diaper Guy, Ono Michio, GBH) but some are... strange indeed.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
Does the story trailer contain any Yakuza series spoilers? I only played through 0, Kiwami and Kiwami 2 so far.