• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Best combat for me would a tie between 0 and Fist of the North Star. Especially the latter which feels really fast and is actually challenging compared to other games in the series without over using blocking (looking at you Yakuza 3).

As for Judgment. It is definitely the best dragon engine game. It was fluid and almost made me forget about the lock button because of how smooth it is compared to 6 and K2. I was excited to see how they will improve on it with 7 but we all know what happened.

I think there is big chance the next brawler will come close to 0 in the combat department.

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
Best combat for me would a tie between 0 and Fist of the North Star. Especially the latter which feels really fast and is actually challenging compared to other games in the series without over using blocking (looking at you Yakuza 3).

As for Judgment. It is definitely the best dragon engine game. It was fluid and almost made me forget about the lock button because of how smooth it is compared to 6 and K2. I was excited to see how they will improve on it with 7 but we all know what happened.

I think there is big chance the next brawler will come close to 0 in the combat department.
How is it fluid? It is the clunkiest game that they released. Worst fps, worst physics, wonkiest animations, erratic combat vibrating at 1000mhz and jarring transitions. I am about 30 hours into it and i imho its not only the worst DE game but the worst yakuza game period.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love Yakuza to just take FOTNS as the base of combat for the next game. Ridiculous bouncing and bounding mechanics so you can air combo enemies like in FOTNS, and bounding off of walls like in 3-4.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
How is it fluid? It is the clunkiest game that they released. Worst fps, worst physics, wonkiest animations, erratic combat vibrating at 1000mhz and jarring transitions. I am about 30 hours into it and i imho its not only the worst DE game but the worst yakuza game period.
I am honestly not sure what you are talking about. The general opinion is that Judgment has the best dragon engine game.
It was the smoothest dragon engine game by far and had the most depth.

It has some issues like the tiger style being much more useful and deeper and the wall jumping needs getting used to (it could have been done better) but otherwise it was really good. It has one of my favourite tiger drop moves and it feels amazing.

Yakuza 6 is by far the worst dragon engine game and Kiwami 2 (while a huge improvements) have some issues like not being able to punch enemies the instant you go into battle mode.

I really hope Judgment 2 has the same type of combat (but improved obviously).
I'd love Yakuza to just take FOTNS as the base of combat for the next game. Ridiculous bouncing and bounding mechanics so you can air combo enemies like in FOTNS, and bounding off of walls like in 3-4.
Agreed.

It was really satisfying to press circle and execute enemies (give me heat moves that starts similiar to this if possible) and the juggeling was really fun to do (Judgment had this somewhat but it is a bit harder to do that).

If nothing else, I would love a sequel to FOTNS as that game had an open ending.

Jocchan

Oct 25, 2017
Silent Hill
If the footage we are seeing is the actual pace of combat (and not just like that because of new players playing) then not gonna lie, that combat does not look promising.

Enemies and player characters should not be waiting around. You should be able to keep issuing commands and everyone fights at the same time.

Issue it to Ichi and he starts attacking, at which point you should be able to issue it to another character and they start attacking etc.

It should look like a street brawl with everyone fighting at the same time.
That'd certainly fix the issues I have with the game. What has shown in terms of attacks is fine, but the downtime could be reduced easily with no real impact to the game, and make it more fun/snappier at the same time. Hopefully they take feedback and tweak the game accordingly before launch. The rest of the game looks ace though, like every Yakuza game before it.
That would certainly alleviate a lot of my worries.
Okay, that plus well-timed button presses to increase damage/perform parries or dodges (I know QTEs are still in, but I mean as a general mechanic).

Doubt they have enough time before release to adjust the game significantly from taking feedback.
Speaking of which, I wonder what was the reception of the TGS blowout from the Japanese fanbase.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Judge Eyes is definitely the best of the DE games, combat wise, story or gameplay. I mean, it runs better than 6 (especially on non Pro consoles) and looks wise, its better than Kiwami 2 which fixed the tearing on non Pro consoless, but has this weird filter in Kamurocho. Plus 6 and Kiwami 2 have less depth in the combat, less heat moves etc.

Its not perfect, but its definitely the most fun I had with the DE so far.

Doubt they have enough time before release to adjust the game significantly from taking feedback.
Speaking of which, I wonder what was the reception of the TGS blowout from the Japanese fanbase.
IGN and Famitsu both have had interesting feedback, basically liking the game story, humor and activities shown so far but raised doubt over pace/flow of the combat (from what I could understand). Basically, previews read like what I'm seeing right now - lots on offer, looks great but combat might have some issues.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Enemy progression:
z_5d7c7cdbd7e8e.png

z_5d7c7cdbcd86a.png

I love it

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
I think a good way to make the combat look better and less slow would be to make it like the menu based combat in FF7R revealed today. Have the characters fight but the comands you input are the biggest factor in winning due to the increased damage and things like that.

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
I am honestly not sure what you are talking about. The general opinion is that Judgment has the best dragon engine game.
It was the smoothest dragon engine game by far and had the most depth.

It has some issues like the tiger style being much more useful and deeper and the wall jumping needs getting used to (it could have been done better) but otherwise it was really good. It has one of my favourite tiger drop moves and it feels amazing.

Yakuza 6 is by far the worst dragon engine game and Kiwami 2 (while a huge improvements) have some issues like not being able to punch enemies the instant you go into battle mode.

I really hope Judgment 2 has the same type of combat (but improved obviously).

Agreed.

It was really satisfying to press circle and execute enemies (give me heat moves that starts similiar to this if possible) and the juggeling was really fun to do (Judgment had this somewhat but it is a bit harder to do that).

If nothing else, I would love a sequel to FOTNS as that game had an open ending.
Maybe its because I hate most of the rest of the game. The horrible tailing missions, shit you need to collect for extracts and drone, the drones themselves and VR are boring, the side quests are not to Yakuza standards, the respawning gangs, the mortal wounds. The main story is fine but i am struggling to finish it and the combat didnt click with me either.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe its because I hate most of the rest of the game. The horrible tailing missions, shit you need to collect for extracts and drone, the drones themselves and VR are boring, the side quests are not to Yakuza standards, the respawning gangs, the mortal wounds. The main story is fine but i am struggling to finish it and the combat didnt click with me either.

I'm blasting my way through the finale right now, hoping this fucking game ends soon lol. Gameplay-wise this is easily the worst RGG Studio game I've played, though I will say that I think the combat has always been pretty bad in these games, so maybe I'm also seeing the combat system of this particular game in a worse light since the overall package is so dreadful compared to Yakuzas. I don't think it's smooth or not clunky by any metric, though.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with the tailing missions and the keihan gang. I hope they don't add them in the next game.

As for the rest of the things, I loved the VR activity and hope it returns in one of the games in the future (I say this because I heard the place closed down). The drones weren't as grindy I felt but the mechanics could have been done better. The mortal wounds I liked but they need improving (instead of just one place you can fix yourself up or buy medic packs they should have had multiple places to get healed), they added strategy to the bosses like when you should use the indestructble ability that makes you hard to knock down.

It is very different from Yakuza in tone but otherwise I loved it. There are huge room for improvements but as far as the end product goes I was satisfied with it.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the friend system from Judgment will return. I felt it added a lot to making the city feel alive because you can see people you met in sub stories going about their day and sometimes joining into your fights.

Jocchan

Oct 25, 2017
Silent Hill
IGN and Famitsu both have had interesting feedback, basically liking the game story, humor and activities shown so far but raised doubt over pace/flow of the combat (from what I could understand). Basically, previews read like what I'm seeing right now - lots on offer, looks great but combat might have some issues.
What about people on Twitter?

I think a good way to make the combat look better and less slow would be to make it like the menu based combat in FF7R revealed today. Have the characters fight but the comands you input are the biggest factor in winning due to the increased damage and things like that.
Agreed. Would make it look more fluid as well, rather than them just hanging around.
So, basically...

It just looks slower and clunkier now, gone are the seamless transitions brought by the Dragon Engine, and pretty much nothing added could not be done with real time brawler gameplay.
[...]
Even the summons and crazier attacks could just be selectable with a real time wheel menu.
:P

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Friends system will probably return in some format, though maybe not exactly the same as what Ishin/0/Judge Eyes had. Its pretty clear they will use side stories and the like to build up relationships to unlock summons or recruit new party members (actually, this I want to see - as so far we've only seen 4 main party members, I assume more will join overr the course of the game).

What about people on Twitter?

So, basically...

:P
I'd rather douse my eyes in bleach than waste time reading twitter, feel free to look yourself though I'd not exactly know what hashtags you'd need to use to find Japanese impressions...

and no, I'm not looking for brawler gameplay in this game, so what you proposed doesn't work for me. The game is turn based, and I'm quite looking forward to playing a turn based RGG title... I see it as a new start for the series what with the new protagonist, new plot that so far has very few ties to the past games (shown), so I'm cool with a new type of gameplay for the series as well. But combat gameplay wise could be improved based on what I've seen.

Jocchan

Oct 25, 2017
Silent Hill
and no, I'm not looking for brawler gameplay in this game, so what you proposed doesn't work for me. The game is turn based, and I'm quite looking forward to playing a turn based RGG title... I see it as a new start for the series what with the new protagonist, new plot that so far has very few ties to the past games (shown), so I'm cool with a new type of gameplay for the series as well. But combat gameplay wise could be improved based on what I've seen.
I mostly quoted that tongue-in-cheek.
Mostly.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I definitely hope the friend system returns, but with a major tweak: don't lock major side content like actual side quests behind a dubious, meaningless value like "reputation". I don't know what the fuck they were thinking with that. I have absolutely no idea how mahjong is played, so now I'm locked out of the last 3 or so side cases, which are supposedly pretty great. Great, thanks. Fantastic. I guess my last hope is that the mahjong item the SP shopkeeper sells for an astounding 10k SP is like an insta-win thing I can use as soon as I get the wareme round or whatever, and that I get enough SP to buy it during the finale.

But otherwise I also really like the friends.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Friends system will probably return in some format, though maybe not exactly the same as what Ishin/0/Judge Eyes had. Its pretty clear they will use side stories and the like to build up relationships to unlock summons or recruit new party members (actually, this I want to see - as so far we've only seen 4 main party members, I assume more will join overr the course of the game).
Would be cool.

I remember thinking sub stories will reward you with more party members before it was revealed to be the main combat the game has. Would be cool to get that anyway.

OP
OP
Son of Sparda

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Judgment is def the best Dragon Engine game out of the bunch, even with some of the missteps with tailing missions and Keihin Gang bullshit.

As for the friend stuff, I honestly think they won't do that in Yakuza. I think they'd want to keep the two series separated with their own unique mechanics and systems so I can see them keeping friendship stuff exclusive to Judgment. I also hope they improve on that system in Judgment 2 and not lock anything behind super complex stuff like Mahjong.

And lastly, I don't think we'll get another party member in Like a Dragon. From the story trailer and the bits we've seen from the gameplay demo it seems like all the party members have a place in story and even react to substories and participate in mini-games/side activities. Since this is basically the last big showing of the game before its Japanese release, if they had a fifth party member I at the very least would've expected them to tease that.

I can see us getting temporary party members during certain substories and activities tho. But for the main story I bet the 4 that we've seen thus far is what we are getting.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
So I watched the TGS trailer and some gameplay footage from the show....

Yeah watching these just reinforced my fear when they announced the change in combat system. I understand they are trying to make the combat dynamic as possible while being turn-based, but it just looks very slow and not that interesting for me.

And what bothers me after watching all these footage is how goofy it looks. I mean yes, I understand the series is known for goofy stuff and I agree with that. But for me, there was always fine line of balance between serious and goofy stuff. Same goes with the protagonist Kiryu, which is why I loved him so much. But here everything just looks so goofy except the main story line which looks interesting. I just feel they went too far with goofy stuff in the combat this time... I can understand few weirdass summons, but that party member doing rose typhoon move and spiting poison looking breath.... just feels too much for me.

There are also some positives for sure. The new city looks huge and great. The main story seems pretty interesting from the trailer. And some of the new play spots look fun, like the Dragon cart thing.

I am happy for those who like this new direction. But as someone who has been a fan of the series from the very first game, I am sad I am just not feeling it. It's especially disappointing after how much I loved Judgment.
I just hope they make Judgment 2 after this, and that game keeps the tone/combat from the previous game and just evolve/fix issues.