• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

I thought this deserved its own thread since it's the first response from devs after the reveal Y7 and the reaction from fans.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Is the reaction due to the new battle system? Going to be very interesting to see how well this game is going to sell and if it's going to kill the series in the West again.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Imperfect translation aside, I think this is a good perspective and great response to the criticism.

I'm just sad because I'm certain most people are too attached to their negativity to understand that and it's not going to make a difference in their outlook either way.

Nov 3, 2017
Man I've gotta say while I'm not happy about it I do really appreciate their incredibly understanding tone and the actual consideration behind a decision as lofty as this

I hope it works out for them, it's very much not for me though

Oct 27, 2017
Will copy paste my response from the other thread:

"I feel bad for the developers as they seem to be really proud of what they are doing yet many don't like it. I will definetly give it a go and I hope I will like it even though I much prefer the brawler Yakuza.

Whatever happens, I am hoping for the best. "

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao @ people having doubts on Nagoshi.

He was a producer on F-Zero GX.

F-Zero GX.

1566995685499.gif

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Guess the response has been pretty harsh overall then. Good response though.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
I'm always going to cheer on new fresh ideas. After making over 12 games of the same formula I'm pretty sure the devs are dying to try something different. I'd say give them a chance.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea what environmental heat moves would look like in a turn-based game but I'm looking forward to seeing it. Good on them for trying something new and for their classy answer.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just found out this will be turn base.... I am interested in this series now. I don't care about the past games... I just care about this one.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
You'd think after this many games and years fans would have some faith in the developers.

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
He is SO Badass! Perfect response imo, people will turn around by release I think

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Ppl dont like change, is just the way it is. Hopefully they do a good job with the turn based mechanic that will change the mind of some of the upset fans. Just let the sales speak for itself and dont lissen too much to internet outrage. If it bombs, thers no other option than going back to what it used to be, but i will always support them for this move. RESPECT!

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Only played Y0 for 1-2 hours, but after digging into Judgement I'm ready for anything.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
No developer sets out to makes a boring game, but that doesn't mean it won't be boring.

Anyway, I'm willing to try the new combat approach before I judge, but I can understand why some are upset over the change too.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People are afraid of change, news at eleven.

Best of luck to them, hope they impress everyone and the series grows.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
I've played well over six Yakuza and Yakuza spin off/remake titles in the last two years all being over 100+ hours each. I will gladly take any change to the formula that franchise can give me because frankly I was getting pretty burnt out on it, hah.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Man I've gotta say while I'm not happy about it I do really appreciate their incredibly understanding tone and the actual consideration behind a decision as lofty as this

I hope it works out for them, it's very much not for me though
This is pretty much me right now, I'll need some seriously strong impressions before I sink my time into a turn-based RPG. I don't fault them at all for wanting to try something different though, and I'll still be back to see whatever comes next (or even for this if it turns out interesting to me). Best of luck to the team!

ThatOneGuy831

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good response. Seems like they knew not everyone was gonna be a big fan of the shift to Turn-Based combat, I imagine that was a hard decision for them to come to. Happy for them that they get to try out something new after making so many brawler type games

Feb 15, 2019
I do understand the worry though. Turn based games haven't exactly been the most popular in the west lately and some frown upon and say that it's an outdated system that only existed because of limitations of consoles in the past.

That being said I never gave a shit about the combat in Yakuza to begin with. I thought it was always pretty braindead and boring so I for one am definitely cautiously optimistic about this.

Odinsmana

Mar 13, 2019
This is a really great response and I think he has a really good attitude.

You'd think after this many games and years fans would have some faith in the developers.

Yakuza might be my favorite franchise. I have played them for over a decade and love every single one (I even like Dead Souls). The combat been great though and it took them a long time to make it good. The teams strength has also always been in the variety of their gameplay not in the depth or quality of each gameplay style. The driving section and the hunting sections in Yakuza 5 would be terrible as a main mechanic, but they are just good enough to make a really fun side activity. So while I obviously hope it turns out great I am very cautious about the new turn based battle system and the announcement has tempered my expectations quite a bit since (to me at least) a mediocre turn based combat system is so much worse than a mediocre action combat system.

Oct 25, 2017
I've been Yakuza fan for a long ass time and I'm open to new things and have faith in the team. Plus to be honest I didn't like the combat in Yakuza 6 and Kiwami 2 that much so the change up is welcome.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Going to be interesting to see how this does sales wise in Japan and the West .
I can understand wanting to change stuff but turn base is a big change.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I believe in the team to deliver a fantastic game as usual. I'm open to the combat change.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
feels silly to complain about something we haven't even seen in motion yet, I get the feeling, looking at the UI, that the combat will be incredibly fast.

also playing all of these yakuza games back to back gets exhausting, I'd be kinda into the Yakuza games essentially becoming JRPGs while spin-offs like Judgment and the clearly inevitable F-Zero: Fist of the Falcon use the traditional combat engine.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, the fans who want it to bomb were told directly by the devs that if that happens they will go back to the old way. I can't blame people who don't like the change wanting that.

That's not what Nagoshi said at all. He said if people end up preferring action they'll go back to that. If the game FAILS it's going to be bad for RGG Studio.

He wants people to play it and tell him what they think, not skip it and hope it bombs.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine they were prepared for the response but that's a good way to handle it. I have full confidence that it will turn out great

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
feels silly to complain about something we haven't even seen in motion yet, I get the feeling, looking at the UI, that the combat will be incredibly fast.

also playing all of these yakuza games back to back gets exhausting, I'd be kinda into the Yakuza games essentially becoming JRPGs while spin-offs like Judgment and the clearly inevitable F-Zero: Fist of the Falcon use the traditional combat engine.

There's some 20 seconds video of battle floating around. It looks slow as F.

I read today that they consider this a "watershed moment" for the series. If that's true, then I guess I'm out, because I don't think this game will bomb. We'll always have the Kiryu saga I guess.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While I may skip this, I can't get upset given that we've had eight million action Yakuza games. More power to those who are into this.