• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
tP3XXHu.jpg

Hello Resettiera!

We here at the Yakuza community wanted to spread the word on how great this series is, and how this is the perfect time to get into the series. To that end, a few of us have worked on a series primer to help introduce folks to the series proper.

To begin, let's discuss what Yakuza is, and isn't.

pMHaFic.jpg

BgRNmY4.jpg

Yakuza is not GTA

Back in '06 when Sega was first pushing to introduce the series out west, they not only hired some interesting vocal talent for the dub (thankfully ditched by 2), the marketing push gave some a warped defintion of what the series was about. Given that GTA clones were doing well at the time, this was understandable but still seems to have left an image that isn't accurate: while you're definitely busting heads & enjoying a wide variety of activities/mini-games, you're not destroying the city...well, any moreso than the plot calls for.

Kamurocho is a big district with lots to do, but it's best to understand that it's not the same wide-open sandbox experience many western open world games shoot for.

Likewise, it's not Shenmue

Yu Suzuki followed his history of simulators with his magnum opus, and while the attention to detail & other elements clearly influenced Naghoshi in this franchise, the latter is not trying to be the former. To quote a gaffer: "Yakuza is a brawler at heart, with adventure aspects. Shenmue is the direct opposite, a pure adventure game that very occasionally has a few fights."

It is very possible to love both series for different reasons, as tone, pacing, and the very nature of the games are quite different.

So, what then is Yakuza?

Yakuza is an action-brawler RPG, or a beat-em-up RPG if that works for you.
It's a sometimes serious crime drama infused with a strong sense of manly-tears-fist-to-the-sky type melodrama that keeps the series from taking itself too seriously.
I'ts a series where the last entry alone had me curbstomping dudes, driving taxis, playing baseball, hunting bears, training to be a J-pop idol, and smacking hooligans with bicycles for scuffing my shoes.

There's a lot to love here for classic Sega type fans - right up to DMC & Bayonetta people, as the combat ranges from simplistic to surprisingly in depth when you build it up with different characters/styles - but in its very DNA, you can see stuf like River City Ransom & Streets of Rage.

Also: be sure to check out Sega's Yakuza Experience!

=============================================================================================

- Frequently Asked Questions -

Q: Is Yakuza 0 a good entry point to the Yakuza series?
A: Yes, it is. Yakuza 0 is a prequel to the entire series. The story takes place before every other main title released in the past so you won't have any problem understanding it.

Q: Actually, how many Yakuza game are there? How many of them are canon?
A: Well if we take spin-off titles into account then the answer will be, 2 PSP titles and 10 home console games (6 main titles, 1 remake and 3 spin-offs). And soon to be 7 main titles with the release of Yakuza 6 exclusively for PS4.

Q: Whoa, that's a lot! Does that include the Samurai games? What's the deal with those? Are they canon and you play as your ancestor or something?
A: That number did include Kenzan and Ishin. But no, those game are not canon. They are spin-off samurai titles that take place in different time periods of Japan. Think of them as Yakuza's take on some historical events. So they are not even direct sequels to each other. And before you get your hopes up, neither of them have been localized and released in the west.
There's a guide on how to play Kenzan right here, though!

Q: Ah, that's a bummer. You did mentioned 3 spin-offs though, so what's the other one? Has that one been localized?
A: Yakuza Dead Souls, the zombie spin-off. That one is Yakuza's take on zombies and TPS games like Left 4 Dead and action Resident Evil titles. The game does have characters from the main series and takes place in a modern setting but the story is not canon and takes place in a timeline that some events of the main series happened differently.

Unlike the two samurai spin-offs, Yakuza Dead Souls has been localized and released in the west. Though, this a fun yet obviously flawed game so if you are not a fan of the series already before playing it then the chances are that you won't like it.

Q: Are there any other good entry points to the main series besides Yakuza 0?
A: Well, Yakuza 1 would be the obvious answer - but Kiwami is a much better choice there!

While it's true that most of the Yakuza titles have self-contained stories for the most part, but I think Yakuza 4 would be the best entry point beside Yakuza 0. Y4 introduces 3 new protagonists and the story mostly revolves around those three which makes it easier for newcomers to the series to understand and relate to it. Also the game has a recap section in its menu to bring you up to speed on the story of earlier titles.

Q: So how can I play chapters of the game after 0, then?
A: Well, 1 & 2 HD never came over sadly, but yeah, go play Kiwami! and Kiwami 2's on deck at the time of this, so awesome.

3 is likewise cheap, and 4, 5 & Dead Souls are all for sale on PSN, for PS3. 6 is coming early 2018!

Q; What about PC/steam?

A: Sadly, Sega has confirmed this is a PS4 exclusive (for the time) but hopefully the series migrates down the road, the way Binary Domain did!

jRKfNbK.gif

No Yakuza thread is complete without HyperBitHero's excellent video summary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkN9oru-qCQ^this video is really fantastic! thorough with great information as it goes

8F8AaFZ.gif

also: Yakuza 5 is a Game That Lets You Fist Fight With a Bear

P1etgQa.gif

much love to SonOfSparda for all the help/tight work here!

Last edited:

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I actually just finished Yakuza Kiwami tonight. Overall enjoyed it, but I think Yakuza 0 is a much better game.

Also your very first words says "Hello Slaent". Wrong forum? :P

OP
OP
IrishNinja

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
I actually just finished Yakuza Kiwami tonight. Overall enjoyed it, but I think Yakuza 0 is a much better game.

Also your very first words says "Hello Slaent". Wrong forum? :P

never you mind that <3

also yeah, 0 is still my GOTY and kiwami feels like an unfair comparison, because while i love how it added content (especially fleshing out Nishki's fall/heel turn), you're still dealing with a game built over 10 years back. 0 was just better in every way & an excellent starting point, and Kiwami flowed from that. i expect 2 to likewise have a few dated sidequests, but man i can't wait

Mg.

Oct 25, 2017
LMAO at the top three images. It's the perfect way to describe the Yakuza, from what I've played.

Yakuza 0 is my first Yakuza game and I have an itch to try out the other games of the series (especially with 0 being the starting point of the story, right?) Because holy fucking shit did I love Yakuza 0.

Deleted member 9327

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Brilliant thread, OP. Thanks!
I'm sitting on Yakuza Kiwami right now, still waiting for a PS Store sale for Yakuza 0. Played Yakuza 3 (my first experience with the series) round about ~20hrs back in 2012 and had a blast. I'm already looking forward to my ride thru' 0 and Kiwami. Y6 will be available once I've finished them I suppose. Already preordered the rad CE with those glasses *_* Hopefully Kiwami 2 hits western audiences in 2018, too.

This is gold :D

PedroRVD

Oct 25, 2017
Ecuador
Omg this thread. Bravo.

I'm new to the series this year, saw some people talking about 0 and it looked interesting.

Yakuza 0 was absolutely incredible and I was wondering where was this series hiding all this time of me. This is the kind of game I love. It immediately entered my top 10 of all time. The only thing I "hated" was the "business" part and the cabaret thing ... on one part I thing it added 40 unnecessary hours to the adventure ... but on the other part it had some hilarious moment (I was glad that Kiwami didn't have anything of this though). The Yakuza 0 ending makes me cry every time I watch it ... I also cried a couple of times during the adventure.

I wish I could say everything that these games mean to me in the first year of meeting them but my English is not very good (I wrote a huge article in Spanish about my experience with 0) ... but for now I have to say this is THE reason for me to own a PS4 and that the side quests are the best I've ever seen... they are fun, hilarious, sad, ridiculous etc ... and almost all of them have a life lesson about something ... man I can't say enough about this.

It's better to stop now ...

Congratulations to the OP for posting this. Can't wait for Kiwami 2.

Nitsua

Oct 25, 2017
Sacae
This is a very nice thread. I've recently gotten into Yakuza when 0 was on sale in the PSN Store, and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made. Love the game & I'm still playing it. Really looking forward to playing Kiwami & the rest of the games.

lunch

Oct 26, 2017
IrishNinja, there is no greater advocate for this series than you. I remember talking with you in Yakuza threads three or four years ago that couldn't get past two pages (which I feel a bit nostalgic about), and you're still out here repping one of the greatest series man has known. You're doing God's work. Thank you.

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played much of the series, but there is nothing quite like it. Elements, maybe, but Yakuza mixes Japan Simulator with over the top melodrama, beat-em-up action, minigames ranging from the usual to the absurd, relatable yet wacky characters doing all wrapped in an entertaining storyline all of which has a surprising level of depth to it that keeps you coming back for more.

I love it.

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I might lose my whole day watching this gif.

Also, if it weren't for Zelda, Yakuza 0 would be an easy GotY for me this year. It's so good.
I cheat a bit and include 0+k as one game, and it's still probably barely top five for me. That's far from a knock on the game(s) I spent over 130 hours on as much as it is a testament to how awesome this year has been overall. Last year I would have without hesitation called it the best game of the year, but damn man the comp is just savage this year from all sides.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Yakuza 0 is my GOTY.

Please people don't sleep on this series.

I have good taste, just look at my avatar you've never seen anything cooler.

lAwUT9i.gif

Murasaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Deep North
Great work as usual OP. I said it at the old place and I'll say it again, one of my favourite things in gaming this year has been watching so many people fall in love with this amazing series for the first time. The future is bright.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
The best thing to happen to happen to me this year is discovering this series. As a massive Sega fan, the Yakuza series is the pinnacle of what Sega has done in both the past and present. It's now one of my favorite series of all time.

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome OP! I got into Yakuza strictly off 0 and then went into Kiwami. 2 was rough since I played it on a PS2 and 3, from a main story standpoint, feels pretty light. Good to know that 4 changed it up in a big way. I'm not done with 3 yet but after 4 games it seems like it'd be a solid idea to change up a bit of the cast.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
The Yakuza franchise has always been the strongest series for me as I've grown older with the titles. We're in a bit of the golden era of Stateside releases so if there ever was a time to jump in, don't hesitate with 0 or Kiwami. It's also incredible to witness how the city locations in every title have changed - Kiryu is the greatest of all time. Great OT!

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I really want to get back to Kiwami but all I want to do is manage night clubs and play outrun.

GeNoMe

Oct 26, 2017
Popped my Yakuza cherry with Zero, and I absolutely adore this game! Recently started playing Kiwami.
I'm already doing my part, and have pulled at least two people I know into the awesomeness that is Yakuza. I will gospel this series for as long as I can.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
I played 0 a month or so back and enjoyed the fighting and the action immensely, despite how silly it could get. I bought Kiwami day one, and I look forward to starting it early next year and I can't wait to pick up Kiwami 2!

I don't feel quite comfortable jumping to Yakuza 4 though, so if SEGA continues to release Kiwami titles I would like that very much. If not, I hope they can release a collection onto the PS4 as I let my cousins have it.

Thanks for the guide by the way!

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I guaranteed you guys are going to be blown away by Kiwami 2. The story in Yakuza 2 is fantastic.

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Awesome thread, glad to see it here. I still need to beat Yakuza 0 (got distracted by Destiny 2 and now AC Origins just came out).

Mo0

Oct 25, 2017
This is legitimately a series that I regret not finding years ago. I can't wait for 6 to come out.

I should probably do the last chapter in 0, but... Mario.......

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bought Y0 after hearing all the hype and I didn't regret it. It really is as good as everyone says.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza 0 is so good. I bought Kiwami day 1 for the steel book but I'm still working through 0 because I don't want to give it up. Perfect hypermasculine soap opera that somehow manages to pull off a million different tones.

FogKnight

Oct 27, 2017
Egypt
If only I got my PS3 still functioning to play Yakuza 3 until 5... this is saddening.

Absolutely loved both 0 and Kiwami, and absolutely excited for both 6 and Kiwami 2. Although now I wonder how I gotta catch myself for Y6 unless it is mostly standalone.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
If only I got my PS3 still functioning to play Yakuza 3 until 5... this is saddening.

Absolutely loved both 0 and Kiwami, and absolutely excited for both 6 and Kiwami 2. Although now I wonder how I gotta catch myself for Y6 unless it is mostly standalone.
All the Yakuza games are stand-alone, you just enjoy them more if you get more context on things. For example I do not think I would've enjyoed Kiwami's story if I didn't play Zero first.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
Great thread!

I played my first game, Yakuza 0, earlier this year in January and February.

I have scheduled to play Kiwami in few months, though I already purchased it just to support the series being localized.

Anyone who is skeptical should just buy 0, and trust me when I say it's not another one of those obscure, mediocre, but beloved Japanese games that small niches on the internet obsess over.
The games are actually great 3D brawlers with fantastic writing. Like Persona a few years ago, I think these games will only continue to catch on more, and people in the West will wake up to how great they are.
The nice part is that they're remaking them with modern trappings to accommodate this.

Zeron

Oct 27, 2017
Iowa
I love this series and would happily play a new entry every few years for the rest of my life. Let's hope Sega continues to localize them.

FogKnight

Oct 27, 2017
Egypt
All the Yakuza games are stand-alone, you just enjoy them more if you get more context on things. For example I do not think I would've enjyoed Kiwami's story if I didn't play Zero first.
That I definitely agree with. I am just mostly worried about spoiling myself Y2 in particular because of Kiwami 2. However I don't mind getting some recaps at the very least for Y3 till 5 if I need them to understand Y6's events well enough.

However you just said that all are standalone, so I guess I won't worry too much. Thank you!

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
That I definitely agree with. I am just mostly worried about spoiling myself Y2 in particular because of Kiwami 2. However I don't mind getting some recaps at the very least for Y3 till 5 if I need them to understand Y6's events well enough.

However you just said that all are standalone, so I guess I won't worry too much. Thank you!
Don't worry about 2. 3 basically cuts off what relevancy 2 had to the bigger canon, lol. You can skip to 3. 2 has an excellent story, though. I wouldn't even bother with the recaps cause the story in 2 is something you should experience by playing the game imo.

FogKnight

Oct 27, 2017
Egypt
Don't worry about 2. 3 basically cuts off what relevancy 2 had to the bigger canon, lol. You can skip to 3. 2 has an excellent story, though. I wouldn't even bother with the recaps cause the story in 2 is something you should experience by playing the game imo.
Music to my ears! Thank you for the answers, my man. Guess I won't worry about deciding whether to just buy Y6 first, or just go hard mode and wait for Kiwami 2 before anything else...

Yeah that would have been impossible, lol.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Music to my ears! Thank you for the answers, my man. Guess I won't worry about deciding whether to just buy Y6 first, or just go hard mode and wait for Kiwami 2 before anything else...

Yeah that would have been impossible, lol.
Personally I'd just buy a cheap PS3 and play through Yakuza 3-5. They're pretty much modern Yakuza games anyway, just not as much features as Kiwami or 0. Al three have their own unique mini-games as well, and Yakuza 5 has the most mini-games in the series for better or worse. All three offer something a bit different even if you've already played the more modern Yakuza 0/Yakuza Kiwami.

FogKnight

Oct 27, 2017
Egypt
Personally I'd just buy a cheap PS3 and play through Yakuza 3-5. They're pretty much modern Yakuza games anyway, just not as much features as Kiwami or 0. Al three have their own unique mini-games as well, and Yakuza 5 has the most mini-games in the series for better or worse. All three offer something a bit different even if you've already played the more modern Yakuza 0/Yakuza Kiwami.
Might very well do that one day but no promises in that regards. Kind of not into re-buying PS3 just for few games that I missed, even if they are Yakuza games, in my opinion financially.

However, never say never in that case.

Raven117

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great OP. Yakuza 0 was my first, and man it is awesome.

HHGaming

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ovDMr5Y.jpg

Bought Yakuza 0/1 Recently to show my support
From trailers/what i read i know i will enjoy this series, wanted to try it for so long but never bothered because the franchise always had issues about western releases or so, didn't want to jump in only to be left out later on by the possibility not getting a localization.

I have 3 Questions though if anyone can help

1- Is Remake 2 Confirmed for English release (I can always play the older version so not a big problem)
2- From what i know 0-6 now completes the Saga and whatever new releases that get releases in the future will be about a new main character/story right?
3- Should i wait for Remake 2 before playing 6? I already got a long journey a head of me so i don't mind waiting for Remake 2

Last edited:
OP
OP
IrishNinja

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
1) not confirmed, but chances are better than ever these days! i can't wait for the announcement.
2) it looks to have wrapped up Kiryu's chapter as the main, yeah. we don't know much beyond that, the big event a little while back showed a new guy, but he's for an online game that i don't even know if we'll get.
me, i'd take an Akiyama game so hard
3) have you not played 2 yet? it's your call, but im uncertain how much the events of 2 play directly into 6

momerath

Oct 27, 2017
Great thread! I am brand new to the series and just played Kiwami recently. Loved it to death.

I went ahead and picked up Yakuza 0 as well, but I think it will probably take a backseat while I play through Mario. But then I want to get right back to it! I feel like I have a long road ahead of me playing through all the games in the series to catch up...

Oct 27, 2017
Terrific series.

Jumped in on a whim at Yakuza 3 years ago and have adored it ever since (barring the zombie dreck Dead Souls).

Deserves infinitely more exposure than it gets. There's really nothing else quite like it.