• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
Try taking down a Licker in the early game with a Shotgun versus a Flame Grenade :|
Damn my guy, you were wasting flame rounds on lickers when acid rounds are far more effective. takes only 2 shots to down them on hardcore. save the flames for those plant zombie fuckers.

as for the topic I too played Leon first because he's my fav protag in the entire series and for nostalgia purposes since i played him first in the og release.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
That moment in REmake 2 when
she jumps on the platform with Birkin and goes: "I'll handle this".

My girl.

Ninjimbo

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Don't know where this ides that Claire has better weapons comes from.

Let's consider the facts:

Shotgun
Magnum.

I rest my case.
You forgot the flamethrower. Strongest weapon in the game. Leon has always had the better weapons and the easier campaign of the two.

This thread is fucking strange. I expected some dumb waifu thread but what's going on here is actually weirder and kinda offputting.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
I'm male, I picked Kassandra in Odyssey and now Leon (first).
It has nothing to do with male or female players. It whom you perceive to be cooler. It's sometimes even random choice. People are reading way to much into this nonsense.
Would be a great theory, had Kassandra been the more popular character. But she wasn't. Don't think the ratio was as big as this one, but people still played as Alexios more.

I wish we had stats for Resident Evil 1 now. I have a suspicion that Jill and Chris would be closer.
Yup, she gets 2 more inventory slots, so when I did RE1 I played as Jill, because it was recommended. Also, she's on the cover (on REmake, I mean).

Almagest

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
Claire is amazing, but I'm not surprised to see those statistics because Leon is a staple of the franchise, man's been in a lot of movies and games.

Hope more people give Claire a chance though.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Would be a great theory, had Kassandra been the more popular character. But she wasn't. Don't think the ratio was as big as this one, but people still played as Alexios more.

Doesn't disprove my theory that player gender is irrelevant when choosing characters in games. I thought Kassandra is cooler then Alexios and Leon cooler then Claire. But there is now way to discuss something subjective like "coolness factor" after all. You can't say: Kassandra is clearly the cooler choice and still people played as Alexios. We think Kassandra is cooler, other players don't.
It's like asking people what kind of ice cream flavor they like more and then reading something into it because of gender. There is such a thing as making false conclusions.

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My friend and I played together and it was a short debate at the menu on who to play as on our first run. We really wanted to play Claire first, plus I'm a big Sherry fan after what they did with her in RE6, and wanted to see her beginning to the series. But we were conflicted because of the way Capcom presents Leon in the select screen, we assumed the devs wanted us to play his story first. We kinda hoped her campaign would be like saving the best for last.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Claire absolutely has the better weapons. The grenade launcher alone makes her run a breeze. It makes any tough encounters brief. Leon doesn't have that luxury. I started with Leon, but all of my subsequent runs have been with Claire. The shotgun is weak in this version. Sure the flamethrower is powerful, but it's a specialty weapon. You basically need it for those fuckers in the sewers (You don't even get it, until after you have to fight a few of them), and the plant fuckers in the lab.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
I went with her for the first ride too. Probably conditioned by Leon's demo, as I wanted to see, not knowing much about the game's scenarios back then, how different was that initial section with Claire. I enjoyed both similarly, and of course I think anybody who's not experienced both sides of the story yet must do it as soon as possible. This game is one of a kaleidoscopic magnitude, the only way to fully appreciate it is doing all it has to offer.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
I would have picked Claire first but I heard the 2nd run is harder and she has the grenade launcher.

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Yes.

Just finished Claire B yesterday.

Claire was by far the better protsgonist for me. Her attitude and bravery were pretty stand out throughout the campaign.

Not to mention that her in-game dialogue was better than Leon's (Claire's reaction when aiming are feel much more authentic when delivered, whereas Leon's felt a little stiff).

She also just felt like an all-american girl trying to surivive after being thrown into some insane circumstances.

Will do Claire A later down the road.

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
It takes like 4 shots?

On Hardcore I'd find a Flame Round plus a few handgun shots would down them reliably without damage. The shotgun doesn't even make them flinch until you've got it upgraded, though by that point you probably don't need to take them down.
Damn my guy, you were wasting flame rounds on lickers when acid rounds are far more effective. takes only 2 shots to down them on hardcore. save the flames for those plant zombie fuckers.

as for the topic I too played Leon first because he's my fav protag in the entire series and for nostalgia purposes since i played him first in the og release.

On my S+ Hardcore run I found the Acid to be much better used against the G battles. Flame was much more reliable for Lickers - and I'd use less of them.

Ivy was never a problem because with five well placed shots you could down them anyway.

boi

Nov 1, 2017
I think so many people play with Leon is because he is basically much more identified with RE as a series, primarily because of RE4.

Nov 4, 2017
Started my Claire B run this weekend after a Leon run. Loving it. Her scenario seems harder and it takes longer for her story to thicken IMO, but she's definitely a rad character so far.

I'm a little confused about...
the sexual chemistry/romance in the game. That scene at the fire escape stairs was flirty AF, and the service station was the best meetcute I've ever seen in a game. But then Leon and Ada kiss, then it seems like a ploy, but then they seem to have a legit bond. Who's gonna do who?!

Anyway, I only got into RE because I got the free game offer with my Ex 580 and RE2 was one of the games I picked, so I quickly got through REmake (I had it from PS+). My second playthrough as Claire has made me love the series, and I can't wait to play through them all.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I really actually miss Claire's lines from the original game. Claire needed to comment on how her jacket protected Sherry. lol.

Anyway yeah, she was great. Though I felt she was probably too "far behind" Leon in the pace of the story. In the original I think it's depicted that they really are exploring different things at the same time (Claire/Irons vs. Leon/Ada) whereas here it's got a lot more overlap. Which is fine....but not as cool.

scrambledeggs

Apr 25, 2018
I just finished Claire's A campaign and, guys, I love her so much. Her VA does such a fantastic job realizing and bringing her character to life - especially during tense gameplay and emotionally-charged moments. Like I'm still thinking about the parking lot scene y'all. That shit was soooo good. I aspire to be as stubborn and badass as Claire even while getting the shit kicked out of me lmao. Her reactions as well as the quips she makes during gameplay also feel really natural. She definitely swears a hell of a lot more than goody two shoes Leon and I love it.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
I'm doing Claire A first in the remake because I never did Claire A in the original PS1 game. I never bothered trying to go through with it because she got stuck with the stupid crossbow from Kendo's gun shop instead of the way more useful shotgun.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I started with Leon even though I prefer Claire. Only reason her story is not finished already is KH3 came out.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
OP, if it makes you feel better, your thread convinced me to start over as Claire (I was only an hour in).

I usually pick the female character, but I had made an exception because my name is Leon.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
Doesn't disprove my theory that player gender is irrelevant when choosing characters in games. I thought Kassandra is cooler then Alexios and Leon cooler then Claire. But there is now way to discuss something subjective like "coolness factor" after all. You can't say: Kassandra is clearly the cooler choice and still people played as Alexios. We think Kassandra is cooler, other players don't.
It's like asking people what kind of ice cream flavor they like more and then reading something into it because of gender. There is such a thing as making false conclusions.

I don't think you've actually done any research on this. Studies have shown that men are more likely to choose male characters and women are more likely to choose female characters. Interestingly, men are much more likely to gender swap than women. In this WoW study, for example, 77% of men play male characters and 93% of women choose female characters.