• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Leon is also more in the mainstream of game characters than Claire Redfield, so there is that sort of bias as well.

I picked Leon first because I always started with him and did Claire in the second scenario because I enjoyed hers more in the original. Also if you want to boost Claire's numbers, put the "Let Me Live" alternate costume back in the game....like now. And they need to put the spiders back in. I mean, why'd they take them out?

Spiders were filler monsters in like 2 hallways, so they replaced them with the more story relevant G-Young that serves the same purpose.

KyngKee

Oct 25, 2017
I know this is silly but most people will go with the first option presented to them and, in this case, its Leon

That's exactly why I picked Leon. I'm OCD about things like that. I played the original also. I don't get much time to play games these days and want to beat both stories. I'm not far in the game with Leon so maybe I should switch? Not sure when I'll be able to do the B side...

Prophane33

Oct 25, 2017
尾張国
I played the original, but still went with Leon first, he's on the cover and his story was first on the menu. I'll do Claire B after Leon A.

Same reason I played as Alexios in AC: Odyssey. He's on the cover. Also, when given the choice I prefer to play as male characters.

OP
OP
AdaWong

AdaWong

Nov 1, 2017
Raccoon City
I may be missing something, but this doesn't add up to me. 37.44% of 21 isn't 14.15.

Great OP by the way.

Thanks.

You're comparing percentages it seems. Assuming the numbers are based on the first playthrough choice when you boot up the game, and times cleared are based on those first choice playthroughs:

4,326,468 players = Number of playthroughs overall

1,635,140 = How many people chose Claire first (so 37.79% of all playthroughs)
612,243 = How many people cleared it (so 37.44% of playthroughs who chose Claire first, and 14.15% all playthroughs)

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
Ubisoft had some results from a month or so back where players had chose Alexios overwhelmingly more than Kassandra. I think it comes down to male players.

On my second point, a lot of returning players probably put the ps1 Leon disc in first and their fond RE2 memories are with him. So yeah, they're going to pick him for here too.

I can't blame them and the only thing to say would for everyone to try Claire's story since, in my opinion, is the better of the two. She's a great character with one game that was fantastic for it's time and another, that more recently, came out and washed away the shitty feelings that 6 had left in it's wake.

I would vote for her for president.

nUtTHw5.gif

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You might be onto something OP. My partner told me to pick Leon first instead of Claire. I asked her if she was sure (cause I wanted to do Claire A first), she just told be to play the cop.

Beautiful post though, OP. The time and effort put into this thread should be praised.

Erevador

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone I talk to loves Claire, but they also all chose Leon first.

Why?

Resident Evil 4.

OniBaka

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Before I booted up the game I was with a group of friends and asked them all who should we play first, they all said Leon but I convinced them all to play Claire first.

cgatto

Feb 9, 2018
Canada
I always preferred Claire. Her weapons are awesome and she's a great character. Really digging Claire in the OG jacket in this one.

I feel like Leon gets a massive boost from being the star of RE4 though, which is probably the only Resident Evil under a lot of folks belts.

Jazzkokehead

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hey, I played Claire first!

Kinda actually wish I left her for the second run, though... it's tougher, and Leon's weapons feel kind of weak. Like, who would pick a shotgun instead of a grenade launcher?

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Playing Claire B right now, it's a great experience but I much prefer Leon's story, it's just a lot more memorable to me.

''Taking down Umbrella's entire operation with a female secret agent on a suicide mission to retrieve the G sample'' is a lot more interesting than ''I'm gonna save this little girl! Hang on Sherry I'm coming!''

Though I would say Claire's weapon is definitely better than Leon's, with the exception of the shotgun.

It's fabulous...

Until he's still rocking it 25 years later.

Some people just can't let it go.

SlayerSaint

Jan 6, 2019
Leon is the most popular RE character and he's a male while most players are male and a lot of people always pick someone who is their own gender when given the choice. There's some who do the opposite, but I feel they're definitely the minority when compared to people who just play as their own gender. It makes perfect sense why.

(This post brought to you by the Leon A/Claire B gang)

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I went Leon first because I'm used to playing Leon A/Claire B since I was young, but I was pleasantly surprised with Claire's character in the remake. I've never really cared for RE's story or its characters much, but the remake had a great tone and very impressive character moments; Claire in particular was awesome. She has an attitude and is a badass, but she's very caring and kind too; her moments with Sherry in the 2nd route were very sweet.

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
I started with Leon because that's how I did in the original. And at the end I will play the four campaigns. I loved Claire in Re: Revelations 2 so don't worry OP, I got you covered.

intheflorsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In terms of unique content for the characters, the orphanage section is definitely a lot more interesting than the extra sewer levels with Ada.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Leon will always be my favorite Resident Evil character. I think over the series he's the one who's been imbued with the most personality and some of the goofy one liner stuff of his was always fun.

I do think though after playing both scenarios that Claire's is slightly better. I just really enjoy some of Leon's dorkiness. Also, I think his weapons are more enjoyable for me some reason.

Radamammuth

Dec 8, 2017
I don't get the hate for either one, love both. I'm on that low %, went Claire A STD first then to Leon B HC. But clearly I love Claire because I actually like CV.

Matters not now because I'm getting my S/S+ runs. This time Leon A, Claire B.

Ossom

Oct 31, 2017
Thanks.

You're comparing percentages it seems. Assuming the numbers are based on the first playthrough choice when you boot up the game, and times cleared are based on those first choice playthroughs:

4,326,468 players = Number of playthroughs overall

1,635,140 = How many people chose Claire first (so 37.79% of all playthroughs)
612,243 = How many people cleared it (so 37.44% of playthroughs who chose Claire first, and 14.15% all playthroughs)
Thanks for explaining. I think my confusion comes from me thinking that 21% chose Claire first not 37.79%.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Most people that I know and play games are male (which, of course, makes me sad and I hope this changes in time, but it is what it is). Out of these people, most people play the male character when they can. I guess because they identify with him. I'm guessing that's the same globally.

I prefer female characters. I just love them. I never identify with the protagonist in simple terms (like pretending I'm them) - I only relate to them when they have relatable qualities and I usually see it as living out an interactive story where I'm given the chance to experience or build the character who is not me. And I almost always find female characters as more interesting. Most of them are beautiful, sure, and I enjoy that aspect too for sure - but they don't have to be beautiful in a traditional sense (like, the characters could be animals or aliens, I still prefer the feminine option because I just like stories from that angle more).

In Claire's case - the story with her and Sherry is just so great. I said it here before: reminded me of Ripley and Newt. It wouldn't work with a male character (in fact, it may come of as creepy, tbh) but it's such a great motivation for Claire and caring about someone other than yourself makes a story like this even more scary and even more classical horror (a trope in a good way)

Also, Claire really looks awesome and kicks ass.

Btw, just realized the actress that plays Newt in Aliens is now 42 years old. Ffs! I feel ancient.

Last edited:

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Damn straight, significantly more of a badass than Leon.

claire12ljg9.gif

claire235k89.gif

Yup, she's a Redfield alright. Claire is so fucking done and ain't having any of Umbrella's bullshit by the end of it all, it makes the way she infiltrated the Umbrella Paris HQ in Code Veronica's intro even cooler coming off of this.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think it comes down to male players.

I'm male, I picked Kassandra in Odyssey and now Leon (first).
It has nothing to do with male or female players. It whom you perceive to be cooler. It's sometimes even random choice. People are reading way to much into this nonsense.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I wish we had stats for Resident Evil 1 now. I have a suspicion that Jill and Chris would be closer.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know where this ides that Claire has better weapons comes from.

Let's consider the facts:

Shotgun
Magnum.

I rest my case.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I did Leon first since I love RE4 and his character premise more (I'm too young for this shit/way in over his head on his first day as a cop).

With that said I like Claire's campaign more now. Grenade launcher, Sherry gameplay segment, and her final boss (A scenario) is cooler.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
What's people's opinion on B? So far I don't think it's a good as A. The originals A and B felt a lot different in comparison.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Leon just seemed like the logical choice to play first for me. I'm actually looking forward to playing Claire more.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
The game was revealed as if Leon is the protagonist at E3. Newcomers will either be male or biased towards playing a guy or they will have looked at the marketing and said "but who is Claire really, I thought this was about THAT guy."

Regardless it's delightful to see that actual Claire fans are the most dedicated audience. Really, that's all I care about and I hope Capcom doesn't knee jerk to any of these stats when it comes to looking at it in any measure of "What do players want MORE of?" which developers do way too often. Analyse these stats and analyse both what newcomers liked AND what your hardcore fans liked, and honestly if I could interject at a Capcom staff meeting I would tell them to not use these stats at all. They're cool to look at but I absolutely hate how much the industry bases decision making on auto-generated feedback through applications.
Claire has always been the best RE character due to her design and amazing voicework by Alyson Court who capcom need to bring back immediately.
I don't know about her but I do know that Capcom, in an effort to conserve on budget stopped casting union actors since Revelations 2.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I finished Claire's route the other day, it was good. But Leon is probably my favourite character in the entire series so I chose him first.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
It's kind of obvious, Leon is a way more popular/iconic character. Rightly or wrongly that's the way. Resident Evil became a much bigger name post RE4 (a Leon game) Claire was not in RE 4, 5 or 6. Leon was in two of them. It's no surprise more people would play as Leon.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All the marketing, from first viewing to trailers to demo was Leon focused. CE was only a Leon statue.

It a shame because when the original released Claire was by far the more popular character, it wasn't until RE4 that Leon became more popular.

Oct 25, 2017
how does the game works?
Is like the old one where you chose one at the beginning? or how do you chose to who you play?
Do you have to beat the game once with Leon to play with her?

I remember on the psx original i always choose Claire to side B because he had better weapon to deal with Tyrant