• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe, just a wild guess, more people who played this game are males and identify better with male characters. So they chose Leon first. Then, after completing it, had no desire to play it all over again from a different perspective.

I can tell you I played the original once, beat it with Leon, and never picked it up again. I had no desire to play it from Claire's perspective. Just was not interested in playing it through again.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
Story-wise you do Claire A/ Leon B or Leon A/ Claire B. They tell a full story that way. Claire A/Claire B would offer some progression differences but you would see the same story twice.
Lol, ok now I have to ask what you refer to as A and B... is the original menu choice the A's and the paths once you beat the game the B's? This is a bit confusing for a new player.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe, just a wild guess, more people who played this game are males and identify better with male characters. So they chose Leon first. Then, after completing it, had no desire to play it all over again from a different perspective.

I can tell you I played the original once, beat it with Leon, and never picked it up again. I had no desire to play it from Claire's perspective. Just was not interested in playing it through again.

The stories differ, some puzzles are altered, you some different areas, and see the complete picture that way, plus you get the extended true ending. So it's not simply playing it all over again.

But as a male, I prefer to see stories from perspectives not my own.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Claire has that one badass shot when facing G3 and says badass shit like "come and get me I'm right here" to a giant monster in the original. Leon's "You got a problem with death?" Is pretty cool too though. Claire's Grenade Launcher is also way better than anything in Leon's arsenal. Claire is the superior choice. I've always seen Leon as the dorky sidekick, especially in the original.

"Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me?"

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
REmake2 Claire is the goat. Her redesign is so good unlike that atrocity that's her brother.

612RESIDENTEVIL22019020.png

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely edged into 'try-hard' territory in here with all this.

It's not exactly a mystery; RE4 is the most popular RE game by a mile and features Leon who was an awesome character. Of course people as a whole are more interested in his story.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I am actually pleasantly surprised that Claire is the default image on my lenticular slip case.
Usually the male character would be due to sexist reasons probably.

20190202-152123.jpg

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The stories differ, some puzzles are altered, you some different areas, and see the complete picture that way, plus you get the extended true ending. So it's not simply playing it all over again.

But as a male, I prefer to see stories from perspectives not my own.
I get that, but it's essentially playing the game over again.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, ok now I have to ask what you refer to as A and B... is the original menu choice the A's and the paths once you beat the game the B's? This is a bit confusing for a new player.

A and B is just the terminology people used back in 1998, it's not used in the Remake. You have New Game, which we call A, and New Game (Second Run), which we call B.
The first character you play as always starts at the gas station, navigates the streets of Raccoon City after the car accident, and uses the main entrance of the Police Station. The Second Run character always starts in Courtyard of the Police Station and enters through a side entrance. Some puzzles are remixed between First and Second Run, progression is a bit different, and the First Run Character always has cutscenes with Marvin. Beyond that the the character specific stories are the same. For instance, Leon's side character is always Ada, he always goes through the gunshop, and he always fights his specific bosses.

The First and Second Runs are not wholly unique though, so there are certain story beats Claire A will hit, that Leon B will also hit. It makes for a questionable continuity.

Last edited:

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Wasn't Claire A/Leon B confirmed the canon route for the original RE 2? I did Leon first this time because... I don't know, I picked the first option.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a bit baffled why they didn't think to put Claire's campaign as the default option.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
I always choose her first because Leon is the best and I always save the best for later.I like her too,but Leon is my favorite RE character.

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I picked Leon first because I always started with him and did Claire in the second scenario because I enjoyed hers more in the original. Also if you want to boost Claire's numbers, put the "Let Me Live" alternate costume back in the game....like now. And they need to put the spiders back in. I mean, why'd they take them out?

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Did not sleep on Claire. I did Claire A and Leon B. Leon was way harder since lickers and Mr X appeared much earlier and i feel like Claire had better weapons with the launcher and SMG.

鬼作.

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Popular character gets chosen more often, wow. People choose not to play as Claire because nobody gives a shit about Claire. It's not rocket science.

haotshy

Oct 27, 2017
But I think the events of later games cement that they're just BFFs, Leon is team Ada and Claire is... uh...

Sometimes I wonder if she's batting for the other team.

I could be misremembering, but I thought it was implied she was in a relationship with that guy in Revelations 2 that

betrayed Claire and her coworkers, then he transforms into a monster and is a boss fight (sorry, struggling to remember his name at the moment.)/Spoiler]

Then in REmake 2 she definitely seems to be crushing pretty hard on Leon.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I chose Claire then and I chose her now. Best character.

"Did someone say shower?"

But I think the events of later games cement that they're just BFFs, Leon is team Ada and Claire is... uh...

Sometimes I wonder if she's batting for the other team.

Well that one guy on Code Veronica loved her right? Lol. There was also the guy she seemed to have the hots for in Revelations 2 but who turned out to be an asshole.

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Fascinating!

Anecdotally, I picked Leon first because I picked Leon first 20 years ago and was going for max nostalgia.

I actually am more excited about my Claire playthrough, but for this particular game actualizing my nostalgia (to really appreciate the remake) was more important than the new content.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Nope! In fact when I was a kid my Leon disc broke so all I did was play Claire A over and over again. Definitely crushed hard on her.

The new VA was really great but I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss Alyson Court.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Claire is, I think, absolutely badass in this remake. She wasn't a damsel in the OG, but here...man, simply the "no, I GOT THIS" line is awesome!

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I wish I had chosen Claire first. I always did in the original release, and the story flows better that way in the remake, too.

Someone had said Leon's story makes more sense because you approach the RPD from the front with him. It's a friggin identical approach regardless of whom you choose!

CrocoDuck

Oct 28, 2017
Both characters aren't nearly as cool/awesome as their original versions.

Love Claire and Leon, but both suck in the Remake.

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
Claire has a great personality in the remake. She's a very well realized character.

In the Leon play through I did enjoy his chemistry with Ada (though short lived). Overall I was surprised with the acting, it was actually good and had some nuance to it, RE has come a long way.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Leon is just too classic. Don't forget his massive popularity from one of the GOAT games--RE4.

So I'm not surprised at the results.

Plus the whole rookie cop thing is rather cool.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
Never was a big RE fan. I am a newcomer to the "old RE" games and I think Leon is a fucking deadweight, a gullible little kid. I found Claire's character and story much much more interesting.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
The reasoning seems pretty simple. Leon looks badass in his tactical gear, while Clair looks like some generic chick - who do you think the casual player is going to want to play a survival game as?
Yep. I get why they kept Claire's pedestrian wardrobe. But it is really weird given the circumstances lol. Yes, I know it is a surprise that the outbreak happened. But from a character design perspective, she's very boring.

Ada looks way better and cooler character design wise.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Leon has the best character in the series in his playthrough. He wins.

Deleted member 29939

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Rookie cop Leon in the 90s is too good to pass as a first playthrough sorry
Will play both tho for sure, which is what this thread is about btw!

Still waiting for my copy... fucking base.com

Deleted member 29939

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I usually dont give a shit about costumes but Claire's RE1.5 biker costume looks amazing btw!

I LOVE how it looks for whatever reason. Its the color scheme I suppose

data west

Oct 25, 2017
Every game with a male and female lead on ERA now has to have a thread where it indirectly dumps on the lead male's VA for some reason.

AnthPerri

Jan 11, 2018
I didn't read all of that OP. Just here to say that was beautifully formatted, and I will play Claire first in your honour.

scrambledeggs

Apr 25, 2018
Every game with a male and female lead on ERA now has to have a thread where it indirectly dumps on the lead male's VA for some reason.
As someone who played Leon's campaign first, I find his VA to just be okay - a little bland, but not the worst I've ever heard (recent example I could think of is deimos Alexios in AC Odyssey; others may not feel the same, but I thought it was pretty bad like damn). Dude definitely pulls off the awkward flirt and puppy love just fine, but kinda falls flat when he doesn't have anyone else to bounce off to. I'm largely indifferent to his character until he interacts with Ada and Claire; it's like they breath life into him or something lmao (not that I blame him).

Every scene he's had with Claire I definitely feel the latter steals. Personally looking forward to playing her campaign from the beginning.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Claire's story is genuinely better then Leon's.
I played this game with my mom and sister, they loved her at lot.

Yeah I'd agree - she is just such a well done character in this game. Her responses in game and her behaviour in cutscenes are all just so consistent, and in some cases, surprising for a game.

blinky

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I started with Claire, and I'll probably finish her A scenario tomorrow sometime. Then it's on to Leon B.

I've played RE4 literally more times than I can count, so I wanted to start off with a comparatively fresh character.