• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fingernails bad?

• Yes.

Votes: 60 25.5%
  • Nah

Votes: 175 74.5%

• Total voters

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I was sitting on my car driving back to work after getting some coffee sitting at a red light. I had a goooooood long look at my hand and realized that fingernails are fuckin' weird. I don't like them. Why are they there? Do they serve a purpose? Would fingers look weird without them? I don't get 'em. Discuss.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
The other day i was with a friend and she started pushing and pulling her cuticles. It was so upsetting. She even started saying sometimes it bleeds because she goes too far, like..... why do people do that?

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like we just had this thread, which is a really weird fuckin thing to say.

Anyway of course they serve a purpose. They're a protective carapace to keep your fingertips safe and provide utilitarian leverage when it comes to picking at or peeling things. This shit ain't rocket science.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I think fingers would actually look really weird without them. Plus I fucking love a woman with beatifully painted fingernails, they make their hands look very pretty.

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
dWN5tS6.gif

OP
OP
Dest

Dest

Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Nah, I wish I was. It was just one of those thoughts, you know? Like you don't think about how weird something is unless you focus on it, kinda like how you can always see your nose but you don't really pay attention to it 'til you look down at it.

Nox Potens

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
OP, fingernails are what allow us to grab things with our fingertips. They do in fact serve a purpose, and a pretty noticeable one at that.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
The other day i was with a friend and she started pushing and pulling her cuticles. It was so upsetting. She even started saying sometimes it bleeds because she goes too far, like..... why do people do that?
I had a friend do that to me everyday in high school, it was relaxing and she said it'd help my fingers look better. My hand looks ugly as fuck lol, but it felt nice when she did it.

Oct 27, 2017
Mine are gnarly, all sorts of ridges and lines from biting and peeling over time. The nail matrix is a weird thing too.

OP
OP
Dest

Dest

Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
OP, fingernails are what allow us to grab things with our fingertips. They do in fact serve a purpose, and a pretty noticeable one at that.
I legitamtely don't know. Like you can pick things up with your fingertip, I don't see how that involves fingernails? Would you be pressing against bone instead? Like, I usually bite my fingernails, so they hardly get use.
you ever try and pick up something thin and flat off of a flat surface?
Yeah, but like I said in response to above, mine aren't really all that useful cause I bite them all the time, but I don't tend to have too much of an issue picking things up... most of the time.

Oct 28, 2017
I dont get how girls have these long nails, especially stiletto acrylic nails. They're weapons. How do you function day to day? Their SOs probably recoil at their touch in fear.

OP
OP
Dest

Dest

Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
I dont get how girls have these long nails, especially stiletto acrylic nails. They're weapons. How do you function day to day? Their SOs probably recoil at their touch in fear.
How do they type? I don't get it. I guess it's a matter of laying your hand differently, but that clacking noise. Oh god...

Nox Potens

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I legitamtely don't know. Like you can pick things up with your fingertip, I don't see how that involves fingernails? Would you be pressing against bone instead? Like, I usually bite my fingernails, so they hardly get use.
The idea is that they act as a way to even out the pressure from grabbing things across the width of the fingertip instead of all being in one spot. It makes things less painful and much easier.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I was sitting on my car driving back to work after getting some coffee sitting at a red light. I had a goooooood long look at my hand and realized that fingernails are fuckin' weird. I don't like them. Why are they there? Do they serve a purpose? Would fingers look weird without them? I don't get 'em. Discuss.
I've had an almost identical thought process with toenails when I was taking a bath.

And for those asking, no I wasn't high. Nails are just kind of weird. Wouldn't want to not have them though.

Oct 25, 2017
...I was actually thinking about the purpose of fingernails this morning too.

It would be harder to open cans without them I guess.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
was that a question or a statement I am so confused, but I voted on what I thought you meant to say

OP
OP
Dest

Dest

Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Sorry to do this to you.

I've had an almost identical thought process with toenails when I was taking a bath.

And for those asking, no I wasn't high. Nails are just kind of weird. Wouldn't want to not have them though.
Yeah, right? Like earlobes. Just kinda there. I've had them all my life and everyone around me does so I don't want them to go away necessarily but why. Why earlobe.

Oct 26, 2017
I always used to get bothered when I got one of those white marks on my fingernails and I'd have to wait weeks for it to move up as my nail grew.

OP
OP
Dest

Dest

Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
The idea is that they act as a way to even out the pressure from grabbing things across the width of the fingertip instead of all being in one spot. It makes things less painful and much easier.
I guess with smaller items that makes sense, but usually they're light enough to not be a bother. Wouldn't a larger, heavier object (at least in most cases) be big enough to distribute its weight and pressure over the tip of your finger regardless of if a finger nail was there or not?

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like we just had this thread, which is a really weird fuckin thing to say.

Anyway of course they serve a purpose. They're a protective carapace to keep your fingertips safe and provide utilitarian leverage when it comes to picking at or peeling things. This shit ain't rocket science.
This is the first time I've ever considered fingernails a "carapace."

Thanks.

Tethered Penguin

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That's a good question.

Why and how did humans evolve to having nails? What use do they have? What use did they have for the first humans?

Too many questions, so little answers (I'm too lazy to look for them.)

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I have a love/hate relationship with them. They obviously have their uses. But I hate clipping them and having my finger tips feel all weird for two days. Not to mention I have this weird 'allergy' to touching smooth fabrics with my fingernails. Satin, nylon, poleyster, etc. Just the thought alone makes me shudder. Any time I put on my jacket and my nails accidentally scrape the synthetic lining... Ugh. Absolutely horrible.

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
The question would be better if it were about toenails. Fingernails, however, are useful. Good nail polish is a plus for the appearances of many a guy or gal, to boot.