• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fingernails bad?

• Yes.

Votes: 60 25.5%
  • Nah

Votes: 175 74.5%

• Total voters

Casualcore

Jul 25, 2018
The other day i was with a friend and she started pushing and pulling her cuticles. It was so upsetting. She even started saying sometimes it bleeds because she goes too far, like..... why do people do that?

I wouldn't know why anyone would want to do it until they bled, but unchecked cuticles will make your nail polish lopsided and messy-looking. Polish sticks to fingernails, but peels right off cuticles. I went to a nail place for the first time and was weirded out when they did it, but it immediately made sense when they put the polish on. I don't bother when I apply polish at home, because I'm a slob.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I was sitting on my car driving back to work after getting some coffee sitting at a red light. I had a goooooood long look at my hand and realized that fingernails are fuckin' weird. I don't like them. Why are they there? Do they serve a purpose? Would fingers look weird without them? I don't get 'em. Discuss.

All great apes and orangutans have strikingly human-like fingernails. If you look further afield, for instance to the lemurs, you'll find long curved claws are more common. I assume that the change to ground-dwelling made such claws less useful, though some of our great ape relatives seem to have gone at least partially back to the trees while our closest (now extinct) relatives developed other adaptations such as upright posture that kept us more comfortable on the ground.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Everything about humans is weird, even more so if you take a load of shrooms and stare at it.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Probably because our ancestors actually had thick nails to peel apart nuts and vegetables or whatever. Over time they've devolved into a nuisance as our race lives in continued splendor and opulence.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Anybody else ever have their fingernails peel from the bottom up? About five years back, the bottom half of a few of my fingernails started to chip away at the base to reveal a layer underneath, and it took a few months before I could pick the upper layer off all of them.

It was pretty weird, they've been normal ever since then.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
I only hate them when they break. I have natural fingernails that can grow pretty long if I let them. When I dont have my claws i forget how to type.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Probably because our ancestors actually had thick nails to peel apart nuts and vegetables or whatever.

Probably more like for gripping tree bark while climbing.

Over time they've devolved into a nuisance as our race lives in continued splendor and opulence.

If they're such a nuisance, be my guest, tear them out. I think we'd find bare fingers more of a nuisance, though. As it is, we have these lovely sensitive pads that can read braille while a moment later they can grip a surface with strong friction. The nail probably helps that grip by providing a stiff backing. I know if my nails are too short this affects my grip.

Jpop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I only hate them when they break. I have natural fingernails that can grow pretty long if I let them. When I dont have my claws i forget how to type.

Do you type with the nail or finger?

I'm curious, I've seen some women with really long nails and always wonder how they type.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Smashing. Smashing your finger with something is terrible. My fingernails saved my fingers more than I can count.

Same as toenails. My toenails saved my toes from getting broke a couple of times by taking the impact of kicking something.

Kendrid

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
An Indian guy I know explained why some indian men keep one long nail:
458394912.JPG

Historically, having at least one long nail is associated with being upper class - an indicator of wealth and elegance for a man.
https://www.scoopwhoop.com/Indian-Men-Long-Finger-Nail/#.qraohhj7f

He had one long nail and he said this was the reason. A mere farm worker could never have a long nail. Pretty disgusting behavior but it was interesting to learn about.

NewDonkStrong

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
My finger hurts really bad when I bite a huge chunk of my nail out, so I think nails are good because they keep my finger from hurting.

Dec 2, 2017
Everyone should push back their cuticles.

Nails are bomb mine currently are burgundy black ombre. I love getting my nails done. I just wish I could wear long nails.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Without a fingernail how on earth would you ever put tape on things and take it off? You literally use your nails for a ton of tiny things when you need to manipulate small/flat objects and such, without a fingernail it'd be a lot harder to do.

Menik

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Often times, when I'm looking out of the window in a car, or public transit I watch people walk. I have the same sentiments about legs. Legs are really weird, like the motion of walking? Why do we only have two?

Legs are so weird.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Nails are good and cool and useful, and people do some pretty sweet decorative stuff with them.

It would be better if we had claws though. Imagine all the passive aggressive gestures you could do. It's like rolling your eyes but more deniable.

"Hmm, what? No I was just stretching. It's a long meeting."

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I have nothing against fingernails, except for when they get caught on clothing or scratch something, but that almost never happens to me so...

I also don't mind trimming them. It's easy, doesn't take long and I sometimes enjoy doing it.

Plus, women look better with nail polish a lot of the time.

zoozilla

Avenger
Jun 9, 2018
Japan
Aw man, there was this gif of someone who filed down their toenails so that they looked like little mini feet on the end of each toe and it was the craziest thing ever and I can't find it.

Also, does everyone's toenails grow at like half the rate of their fingernails? Mine sure do.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Two weeks ago, I hit the tip of my thumbnail against a dresser when reaching down for something and it slightly tore up from my thumb. It bled a little from the inside and hurt like a motherfucker for the rest of the weekend. As of today all the dried blood was pushed up through the nail through to it growing.

All this just confirmed my suspicion that long nails are a fucking liability. How does anyone not fear this happening?

OP
OP
Dest

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
Two weeks ago, I hit the tip of my thumbnail against a dresser when reaching down for something and it slightly tore up from my thumb. It bled a little from the inside and hurt like a motherfucker for the rest of the weekend. As of today all the dried blood was pushed up through the nail through to it growing.

All this just confirmed my suspicion that long nails are a fucking liability. How does anyone not fear this happening?
If you ever get a blood blister under your nail, poke a pin into it and it will relieve the pressure and stop the pain. Caution: you're not trying to push the pin through your entire finger, and your fingernail doesn't have any nerves to feel pain.

Mavis

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Mountains
If you ever get a blood blister under your nail, poke a pin into it and it will relieve the pressure and stop the pain. Caution: you're not trying to push the pin through your entire finger, and your fingernail doesn't have any nerves to feel pain.
NOOO! Never a pin! The point has to go too far before it opens enough to relieve the pressure. Use a paper clip, straightened out and heated up until it's glowing, it will leave a nice clean flat hole.