• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously this isn't unique to him but I thought this was a cool little tid bit. So for context:

So slowly since then people have responded until this little exchange happened:

To which led to the natural response of:

If I recall this isn't the first time a sequel to Vagrant Story has been talked about. Though if I recall it wouldn't have actually been called Vagrant Story 2 or the like.

Last edited:

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Been meaning to try VS for a while now. Maybe I will once I get through FF12.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
...So if I want to play FFXIV but only really am interested in the storyline, not so much of the gameplay/being social(none of my friends play the game) is it at al doable or is it one of those "hunt down a youtuber" things?

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
...So if I want to play FFXIV but only really am interested in the storyline, not so much of the gameplay/being social(none of my friends play the game) is it at al doable or is it one of those "hunt down a youtuber" things?

There's story locked behind endgame activities like raids. Hell, Shadowbringer's plot directly ties into characters that were introduced in the 2.x 24 person Alliance Raids.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
The someone that should have been used to dive into his mind must have been Ashley Riot, right? So the sequel of Vagrant Story was still about Riot's memory of his family? This means there is also a chance that the protagonist of VS2 might not have been Ashley himself, unless he entered his own mind.

Crazy, crazy stuff. The most development we've had about Vagrant Story lore since FF12 pretty much.

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really happy that Matsuno can use a lot of his ideas through XIV. Can tell he has a lot of fun with it.

You only have to team up with players in dungeons and boss battles. Dungeons and bosses are straightforward and people are generally forgiving to newcomers and will toss out tips to help you get in and out without much issue. Once you get to the current expansion, you can run dungeons with the story NPCs, but Raids and other bosses are still done with other players.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
It is totally doable.

If you just want to see the story, you can do 90% of the content completely solo. For the remaining 10%, you can use the Duty Finder to match you with other players to run the content, no socializing required. So long as you get the hang of how your job plays and pick up the general game mechanics used in fights, you'll be fine.

For a game such as FFXIV, you would miss out on a lot just by watching cutscenes on Youtube. There is a lot of detail and story buried in the smaller conversations and environments. It is just a big time commitment.

MagnusGman

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dallas
I've absolutely loved the stuff they've done building Tactics and FFXII into the world of FFXIV - and I'd totally be in for a Vagrant Story sequel!

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
YouTube video of the instance for those that dont play (spoilers midway):

If you mean this storyline specifically, it's locked behind hundreds of hours of gameplay and at the moment there's only about 30 - 45 mins of the story in the game. Its also heavily wrapped in XIV lore so might not make much sense to you just watching it on YouTube.

If you mean can you play xiv as mostly a solo game, then yeah you can. You need to group up for dungeons to progress the story at certain points but there's a matchmaker for it and the community is pretty laid back outside of endgame. They're doing a big story revamp for the base game in late June/July that's gonna cut out the filler, mint wanna wait till then since the base game is considered to be a slog by most.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Just one more AA or AAA Matsuno console game and I can die happy. I'll even take a Crimson Shroud switch sequel.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
I just want Matsuno to keep writing stuff for FFXIV period. Just give him the next expansion and let him go HAM.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
I made weird noises in response to that last tweet- please eventually be a thing.

I'd even happily accept a cleaned up version of the original. Vagrant Story is still a unique, amazing thing that has no parallels decades later and I'd love to see more of it.

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing where 6.0 is probably going, I hope they give him a big chunk of it. I really liked the Garlean side of things in the Ivalice Raid and what we learned about the 4th in Bozja.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Him writing a lot of the Garlemald stuff would be great imho.

For real. Garlemald is basically the empire in XII anyway (with hints of VI's), so let the originator do it. Matsuno could especially write some quality stuff surrounding the current situation there:

Where they're going through regime changes, infighting and all kinds of the political stuff he loves.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
For real. Garlemald is basically the empire in XII anyway (with hints of VI's), so let the originator do it. Matsuno could especially write some quality stuff surrounding the current situation there:

Where they're going through regime changes, infighting and all kinds of the political stuff he loves.

I also really want to see what he does with Fran. Like come on, you don't bring back one (not to mention two!) characters straight up from FF12 and not do more with them. IIRC Fran was basically acting as a general for the Dalmasca rebellion and who their leader was kept a mystery. Like Ashe was said to have existed (but died, supposedly) so she could also come back and just be way older and far more hardened unlike her FF12 counterpart.

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017

It's definitely Matsuno's style.
With the huge war of succession going on, there are so many pieces on the board. The different ideals from the different houses, all of the resistance groups, the remnants of the 7th and now what we learn about Gabranth's aim with the 4th. A lot is in place.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Matsuno being back is why I'm so hyped for 5.3 in which I hope we get whatever the Eureka equivalent is for this Relic tier. They really upped the budget on the Cid Instance and stuff and it felt huge and really interesting. I can't wait to see where Matsuno takes us next. Between him on Relics and Taro on Raids while Ishikawa is still involved with story, FFXIV has never felt in better hands.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely Matsuno's style.
With the huge war of succession going on, there are so many pieces on the board. The different ideals from the different houses, all of the resistance groups, the remnants of the 7th and now what we learn about Gabranth's aim with the 4th. A lot is in place.

What are the chances that since Gabranth want's to establish an even greater nation that he would intend to name said nation Archadia?

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017
What are the chances that since Gabranth want's to establish an even greater nation that he would intend to name said nation Archadia?
I think that's probably what he would name it or the Capital of his new nation. I really enjoy how differently Gabranth handles his Legion compared to some of the others. He has Beastmasters, Summoners, and his ranks are full of foreign soldiers. Not being a Garlean, yet gaining enough attention from Solus is a big deal

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I think that's probably what he would name it or the Capital of his new nation. I really enjoy how differently Gabranth handles his Legion compared to some of the others. He has Beastmasters, Summoners, and his ranks are full of foreign soldiers. Not being a Garlean, yet gaining enough attention from Solus is a big deal

You know, I think the cool part about of the Ivalice stuff is that it doesn't just feel like Fanservice. Like don't get me wrong it's is fanservice and it's awesome whenever FF14 incorporates elements from the other games but all of the Ivalice stuff just fits like a glove. It doesn't take you out because it just seems natural, if that makes sense. Like it was always meant to be. I love how they modified the lore to fit FFXIV.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
You know, I think the cool part about of the Ivalice stuff is that it doesn't just feel like Fanservice. Like don't get me wrong it's is fanservice and it's awesome whenever FF14 incorporates elements from the other games but all of the Ivalice stuff just fits like a glove. It doesn't take you out because it just seems natural, if that makes sense. Like it was always meant to be.
That's one of my favorite parts about 14 is that the things like FF12's world fits so seamlessly into it because it's that "classic" ff feel and it uses so many examples of pieces across the FF franchise that it is already a melting pot. It's the difference of taking one thing and shoving it into a story versus already having so many things from other stories that things fit easier into the game.

FF14 fits Ivalice because it's always kinda been designed and written to be more similar to stories like it and I believe Yoshi-P has even stated numerous times that he respects and loves Matsuno's work. So it fits like a glove and it's great because Ivalice is one of the best parts of FF/Square history and any kind of love it can get in the current age is worth it.

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
YouTube video of the instance for those that dont play (spoilers midway):

Holy shit . This video here just motivates me to finish ARR . I just fast forwarded through but I really like the world setting and creature design , music is top notch

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
That's one of my favorite parts about 14 is that the things like FF12's world fits so seamlessly into it because it's that "classic" ff feel and it uses so many examples of pieces across the FF franchise that it is already a melting pot. It's the difference of taking one thing and shoving it into a story versus already having so many things from other stories that things fit easier into the game.

FF14 fits Ivalice because it's always kinda been designed and written to be more similar to stories like it and I believe Yoshi-P has even stated numerous times that he respects and loves Matsuno's work. So it fits like a glove and it's great because Ivalice is one of the best parts of FF/Square history and any kind of love it can get in the current age is worth it.

Orbonne Monastery is still my favorite 24-man, the writing is great, the voiced bosses are phenomenal, and the music...

"Seven shadows cast, seven fates foretold. Yet at the end of the broken path lies death, and death alone!"

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Orbonne Monastery is still my favorite 24-man, the writing is great, the voiced bosses are phenomenal, and the music...

"Seven shadows cast, seven fates foretold. Yet at the end of the broken path lies death, and death alone!"
Everything with Thunder God Cid reminds me of the stuff I hope we get from XVI.

"WERE YOU EXPECTING A MODICUM OF RUST?"

That old timey speech and formal way of speaking I miss, and I loved playing through FF12 in its entirety on Switch since I missed that train the first time it happened. I love that kind of shakespearian approach as if it's all a stage play which really worked with the raid story and it being a theater troupe.

I feel like way too much of S-E's talent ended up getting tied up in their online games. :(
There's still the rumor that Yoshi-P and the Heavensward team are working with/on FFXVI at least. Fingers crossed.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
The relic instance was fantastic. FFXIV brings in so many different writers and they all do amazing things. The three 24-player Ivalice raids with Matsuno involved are some of the best content in all of XIV. Any Tactics fan that hasn't done those raids is doing themselves a huge disservice.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Everything with Thunder God Cid reminds me of the stuff I hope we get from XVI.

"WERE YOU EXPECTING A MODICUM OF RUST?"

That old timey speech and formal way of speaking I miss, and I loved playing through FF12 in its entirety on Switch since I missed that train the first time it happened. I love that kind of shakespearian approach as if it's all a stage play which really worked with the raid story and it being a theater troupe.

"Open your eyes to the darkness, and drown in its loveless embrace. The gods will not be watching."

I know the song is originally from Vagrant Story but it's crazy how well the dialogue/writing go so well with it.

Oct 25, 2017
God, Vagrant Story is SOOOOO good. Glad to know he's at least still interested in making a sequel. This quickly became a dream game to me after playing the original.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
"Open your eyes to the darkness, and drown in its loveless embrace. The gods will not be watching."

I know the song is originally from Vagrant Story but it's crazy how well the dialogue/writing go so well with it.

Unf when that low ominous music starts picking up and his voice lines get more frequent. So good.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017

Hearing the final boss theme of Vagrant Story in a boss fight against Thunder God Cid was such a fantastic moment. This moment was made for me.

The Ivalice raids are the highlight of the game, and it's pretty clear they put in the budget considering it's still the only raid that has voice acting.

OP
OP
Kalentan

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
It sounds to me like Matsuno is having a legit blast right now and I'm so happy about it.

What's cool is that he doesn't just work on the game. Yoshi-P has said he's actually a pretty hardcore player of it as well. So when he wrote Return to Ivalice, he already knew the world. Unlike Yoko Taro who Yoshi-P said began playing in prep for writing the Nier Raid.