• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 31, 2017
Thanks for this post!

It's heart warming to read it, when developers show that they care and appreciate.

But it's frustrating for me, that the holy trinity (imo) of RPG's from PS2/Game Cube era: Xenosaga, Shadow Hearts and Baten Kaitos are all stuck like that.

Well, we can only continue to dream and hope.

wow I 100% agree with you. Those 3 are my favorite JRPG series of that gen (along with Final Fantasy X). And yes I love Xenosaga II and Shadow Hearts: From the New World, too.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Before that, a remaster on Switch would be a good way to get people into the series. Origins deserves more exposure.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree Monolith should make a spiritual successor at this point. I really like that art style. It's time to get Honne and his crew enough people and whatever they need to develop games

Kazer

Oct 27, 2017
Never did have a chance to play Origins but I enjoyed the original BK. Would love to have a chance to replay them and see what they had planned for the third game.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Honne just needs to be back in the director seat. Whether it's for Baten Kaitos 3 or something else, I don't really care, but he is sorely missed in current-day Monolithsoft. Same as with Soraya Saga.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
If Namco Bandai owns everything about this IP, then a BK 1+0 collection for PS4/X1/Switch shouldn't be out of the question. Considering barely anyone owned a gamecube and half of those didn't get the sequel (No PAL origins), this is such no-brainer.

assuming this would be a relatively low-cost remaster, HD up-port, that could help finance the 3rd entry.

If done right, these games could look spectacular in modern hardware

Deleted member 47318

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 1, 2018
If Namco Bandai owns everything about this IP, then a BK 1+0 collection for PS4/X1/Switch shouldn't be out of the question. Considering barely anyone owned a gamecube and half of those didn't get the sequel (No PAL origins), this is such no-brainer.

assuming this would be a relatively low-cost remaster, HD up-port, that could help finance the 3rd entry.

Hopefully they still have the 2D/pre-rendered assets saved somewhere in HD quality, though.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017

When BandaiNamcos Harada talked about Xenosaga he said that he wants Monolithsofts involvement for an eventual project, for Baten Kaitos he would likely share a similar opinion, with obvious consequences on targeted systems.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Both were great games. Along with Skies of Arcadia Legends and GC has 3 of the best RPGs ever made.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The problem with a remaster is that the sales of Baten Kaitos were abysmal. In fact, the existence of Origins is a mystery to me.

Foxdeimos

Jan 25, 2018
I would welcome another Baten Kaitos game with open arms. The series is one of my little darlings from the GC era, warts and all. I have actually replayed the first game at least two times (Though it's already high time I revisited the second, and significantly superior, entry. Origins was incredible, even moreso in the context of the first game. It definitely helps you appreciate the first one even more.)

Nov 1, 2017
Tokyo
The problem with a remaster is that the sales of Baten Kaitos were abysmal. In fact, the existence of Origins is a mystery to me.

Yeah :/ I remember (at least here) Baten Kaitos was pretty expensive because it came in two GameCube disks. Never even got Origins. It's unfortunate. With Nintendo seemingly having some GameCube emulator that supports the Switch hardware I'd just love a simple port even to see if people would enjoy a very linear-story driven RPG like that nowadays.

JCX

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man this makes me happy to hear a bit more. The first two are so great. Maybe this can happen in some long shot universe.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
How to say...

YES ?!

It's the closest thing I got from a PS1 follow up, with these beautiful scenery that no 3ds game can equal. Time to harass Namco Bandai it seems.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Origins is a Bayonetta 2 situation. It's never leaving Nintendo

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
The problem with a remaster is that the sales of Baten Kaitos were abysmal

well...proportional to their IPs, all games's sales on WiiU were absolutely abysmal and Nintendo is porting everything to switch not only to recoup costs but also to profit.

Another example was Okami, it's been ported to everything to get some investment back.

a collection on PS4/X1/Switch means the product would reach 3 extremely successful pieces of hardware,

in a nutshell: it would do well enough to justify the port.

it would be a perfect way to test interest on the IP before greenlighting a sequel.

Origins is a Bayonetta 2 situation. It's never leaving Nintendo

Are you sure? Nintendo publishing it doesn't mean it has the rights to the IP.

I mean, was BKO developed with Nintendo money?

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
well...proportional to their IPs, all games's sales on WiiU were absolutely abysmal and Nintendo is porting everything to switch not only to recoup costs but also to profit.

Another example was Okami, it's been ported to everything to get some investment back.

a collection on PS4/X1/Switch means the product would reach 3 extremely successful pieces of hardware,

it would be a perfect way to test interest on the IP before greenlighting a sequel.

In the same console, by the same company, Tales of Symphonia sold like triple that Baten Kaitos.

The problem was not just the console.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Baten Kaitos always felt to me like a spiritual successor for Chrono Cross.
unfortunately, I don't think this series will have another sequel, it didn't do too well.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Don't fuck with me Honne

A remastered collection for Switch could do pretty well I think and would do will to build an audience for a new entry.

Monolith Soft is a name Nintendo consumers know of and it would certainly help boost interest.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Aye, the first game cratered everywhere, and wasn't release in Europe. I guess Nintendo saw a hole to be filled, much like with Bayonetta 2

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy

With Okami they started soon after its original release. Same with Nintendo ports from Wii U to Switch.

Problem is, Baten Kaitos has no legacy whatsoever. It was really a niche franchise.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Exactly, Okami is not at all the same case as Baten Kaitos. Okami, although it sold little, it had a lot of recognitions among the critics and it was a game with a lot of personality.

Nowadays almost nobody remembers Baten Kaitos and it would be difficult to justify their remaster when for the majority it would simply be '' another '' JRPG.

Today the name of the ip does not justify having to reach a deal with Bamco when you can simply make a new similar ip.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
In the same console, by the same company, Tales of Symphonia sold like triple that Baten Kaitos.

The problem was not just the console.

I am not saying it wasn't a flop and that it would instantly be a success if ported to all 3 current consoles but I think the environment is healthy enough to take the risk.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles for GCN really had no business being brought back to life, at all. It has great production values but gameplay was slammed back in the day and yet SE thinks there's business opportunity.

a 85 metacritic could do wonders for it too.

Aye, the first game cratered everywhere, and wasn't release in Europe. I guess Nintendo saw a hole to be filled, much like with Bayonetta 2

but didn't Namco Bandai publish Origins it in Japan?? Did Sega publish Bayonetta too? (serious question, I don't know)

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
The original Baten Kaitos is one of those games where I took a long break while playing and I came back and I didn't know what to do... and I seem to remember it took use of the Gamecube's internal clock and decayed a lot of my items.

I remember getting to one of the major twists, but not sure how much further past I got.

Anyways, definitely a game they should re-release or remaster for everything they can. I think it could do well on Steam + Switch at the very least.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I am not saying it wasn't a flop and that it would instantly be a success if ported to all 3 current consoles but I think the environment is healthy enough to take the risk.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles for GCN really had no business being brought back to life, at all. It has great production values but gameplay was slammed back in the day and yet SE thinks there's business opportunity.

a 85 metacritic could do wonders for it too.

but didn't Namco Bandai published origins it in Japan?? Did Sega publish Bayonetta too? (serious question, I don't know)
Final Fantasy CC is a game that benefits immensely from the online and sold like five or six times more than Baten Kaitos, in addition the name Final Fantasy has much more value than Baten Kaitos.

It makes a lot more sense.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Remastering the games for all systems with the intention of building interest for a new entry would put them in an odd position.

They would rather have to make the new game unavailable to most possible of the system s the remasters release on or have the new game developed by a total different developer.(well I guess Tri-Crescendo would be available)

GenG

Oct 26, 2017
Since probably Namco's involvement is what is holding them now, they should do a brand new spiritual sequel series, just as Baten Kaitos was Chrono Cross' spiritual sequel. You only need Honne in the visuals and Sakuraba in the music.

nenned

Oct 27, 2017
Releasing a sequel over a decade after the last game failed miserably in the marketplace seems like a recipe for disaster. Probably just better off creating a new ip with all the principal people involved like Yasuyuki Honne (Monolithsoft), Motoi Sakuraba (composer), Masato Kato (writer), and Hiroya Hatsushiba (Tri-Crescendo). Plus that way you don't need Bandai Namco so sign off on the project.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I loved the original but never got around to playing Origins. It did very much feel like the heir successor to Chrono Cross aesthetically though.

That said, I do remember Baten Kaitos being the first game I had to disable English voice acting for. It was grating, and to this day I'm not sure why it was such a step down from the English voice acting from the trailer and Japanese version.

And then the retail release hit...

Oct 31, 2017
I loved the original but never got around to playing Origins. It did very much feel like the heir successor to Chrono Cross aesthetically though.

That said, I do remember Baten Kaitos being the first game I had to disable English voice acting for. It was grating, and to this day I'm not sure why it was such a step down from the English voice acting from the trailer and Japanese version.

I hope you're joking because that first video's voice acting is 100x worse

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
Releasing a sequel over a decade after the last game failed miserably in the marketplace seems like a recipe for disaster. Probably just better off creating a new ip with all the principal people involved like Yasuyuki Honne (Monolithsoft), Motoi Sakuraba (composer), Masato Kato (writer), and Hiroya Hatsushiba (Tri-Crescendo). Plus that way you don't need Bandai Namco so sign off on the project.

Building on an existing IP is preferable, problem with Baten Kaitos is it was dormant for a decade and never reached a wide audience in the past, its name beeing very exotic also didn't help but at the same time it's also quite unique. Biggest problem is BandaiNamco owns the IP but that's a solveable problem, as seen with Bayonetta and Fatal Frame. At the very least considering the RPG audience nowadays and Monolithsoft beeing at its height in popularity would help in generating interest in a new Baten Kaitos game.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Building on an existing IP is preferable, problem with Baten Kaitos is it was dormant for a decade and never reached a wide audience in the past, its name beeing very exotic also didn't help but at the same time it's also quite unique. Biggest problem is BandaiNamco owns the IP but that's a solveable problem, as seen with Bayonetta and Fatal Frame. At the very least considering the RPG audience nowadays and Monolithsoft beeing at its height in popularity would help in generating interest in a new Baten Kaitos game.

Problem is why would Nintendo pay Bamco for using the IP when they've got the developer?
The only reason you would do that is if the IP can attract a lot of buyers.
I would be fine if Monolith creates a spiritual successor with Honne as the art director.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Problem is why would Nintendo pay Bamco for using the IP when they've got the developer?
I would be fine if Monolith creates a spiritual successor with Honne as the art director.
This. This is literally all they have to do and create a spiritual successor.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Shit, all these years later and I didn't know the second game was better than the first.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Well Monolithsoft were making games for Bamco as recently as 2015. That's without mentioning how close Nintendo and Bamco are in general.

Oct 31, 2017

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017

I believe it was exactly the other way around. The second video is from the original trailer and predates the sync in the first video. You're kinda still right though in that they redubbed the trailer/opening for the worse

I hope you're joking because that first video's voice acting is 100x worse

exactly!

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
This is really sad. I would love a new one. Even if they never make a BK3 though, or a spritual successor, I would just like to see Honne directing games again.

Was Baten Kaitos good? I've tried playign Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean several times, but something about it always felt "wrong" to me.

It's a good RPG with bad English VA. Baten Kaitos Origins is the better game though, and actually has great English VA. It's one of my favorite RPG series in general.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017

At the same time, if it had great appeal, it would be even harder to get hold of the IP. I agree that Nintendo won't see any financial benefit from going after this IP, because they would need the same marketing push and start at almost the same point as they would for a wholy owned spiritual successor anyway.

It's more a matter of building an ongoing IP that is connected to Monolithsofts past and Honne obviously caring about Baten Kaitos is good enough reason to me, simply from a fans point of view, rather than actual financial viability. Because Monolithsoft, Honne in particular, really is the only involved company/person from whom the initiative can come from at this point.

Last edited:

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I don't really see the point of a spiritual successor. As long as there are no extenuating circumstances with the IP rights and Bamco owns them fully and completely, then the transfer or licencing of them to Nintendo should be a trivial matter for both sides. Bamco would be foolish to require any significant payment or licencing deal given how worthless the IP is at this point to them and Nintendo would be foolish to try and do a runaround of Bamco's owning of the IP by creating a spiritual successor just to save a few extra bucks they'd have to pay them.

In addition to that I just don't see what the appeal of a spiritual successor is to the average consumer. So few have experience the original games that relying on the cult following to help build hype for a spiritual successor seems almost next to worthless. In my mind creating remasters of the first two games is key to any revival effort. While there is a fervent cult following of the original series, it's super small and I'm skeptical of what value that offers if they were just to produce a spiritual successor. Great a few people will rave about the original games which at that point have no direct connection to this new title. Not to mention access to those titles is basically impossible for most people who may have interest in visiting them ahead of the spiritual successor and any that do provides no actual profit for Nintendo.

By moving forward with or at least exploring a true sequel you can use the remasters to help generate and/or test the interest in the series for a relatively low cost and actually capitalize on the cult following the game has. A large number of fans will rebuy them and their glowing remarks about the series will actually have some weight to them as others will actually have the means and opportunity to play the games on a modern device for a relatively cheap price.

Personally I think announcing a sequel and then leading into that with a remaster of the first two games would be the best course of action as you'll likely get a decent number of people interested in experiencing the original games before the new one, which should be a relatively easy profit for Nintendo to turn with minimal effort. If you just release the original games to test the waters for a potential sequel I don't think they'll generate as much interest, but should still be worthwhile given the strength of the Switch as a market place and Monolith as a developer are both pretty high right now.