• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mockingbird

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
https://twitter.com/honnesan/status/1043900649820192768

Original Tweets: "バテン・カイトス2から10数年経って、未だに続編の声が私個人に届き続けるのが心苦しい。もう時効だと思うので少しだけ。2の直後、ナムコ(現バンナム)には続編のプリプロまでは進んでいましたが3実現直前で先方都合でお話は無くなっています。

実現すれば海底、陸、空を舞台に壮大な内容になる予定でした。封印された続編の大量の設定画はバンナムに
あります。続編の要望は私やモノリスだけでなくバンナムさんに"

Here's a more accurate translation by https://www.resetera.com/members/salromano.776/:
"It's been more than 10 years since the release of Baten Kaitos II, and even now it pains me that I continue to receive requests for a sequel. I think the statute of limitations has run out, so I can say a little bit about it. Immediately after the release of Baten Kaitos II, Namco (now Bandai Namco) worked on a sequel up until the pre-production phase, but just before Baten Kaitos III could become a reality, the story ended due to the circumstances of the involved parties.

"If we made it, it would have been grand-scale game with settings at the bottom of the sea, on land, and in the sky. There's a large amount of concept art for the sequel sealed away at Bandai Namco. Requests for a sequel should be directed not just to myself and Monolith Soft, but also to Bandai Namco.""

Last edited:

HadesHotgun

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be down for something more from Baten Kaitos. The series' aesthetic would really be much better served on an HD system than it was on the GameCube.

MrT-Tar

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I've never played the games, the second was never even released here in PAL land.

I would be super up for a Switch port though!

Aja91

Dec 24, 2017
I would love for a rerelease of some sort of the series. We don't get weird crazy jrpgs anymore and its truly one of the last of its kind. BKO was such a great jrpg

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
They probably should just sell the series entirely to Nintendo anyway. They own the developer, the games were Nintendo exclusives, the SECOND GAME was a Nintendo published title everywhere... it may as well be a Nintendo IP at this point. Bonus if they even rerelease the two games on Switch to see if they can/should resurrect 3.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps someone with better Japanese can do a more spot on translation

Yours is mostly good. Here's mine:

"It's been more than 10 years since the release of Baten Kaitos II, and even now it pains me that I continue to receive requests for a sequel. I think the statute of limitations has run out, so I can say a little bit about it. Immediately after the release of Baten Kaitos II, Namco (now Bandai Namco) worked on a sequel up until the pre-production phase, but just before Baten Kaitos III could become a reality, the story ended due to the circumstances of the involved parties.

"If we made it, it would have been grand-scale game with settings at the bottom of the sea, on land, and in the sky. There's a large amount of concept art for the sequel sealed away at Bandai Namco. Requests for a sequel should be directed not just to myself and Monolith Soft, but also to Bandai Namco."

Vicious17

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Was Baten Kaitos good? I've tried playign Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean several times, but something about it always felt "wrong" to me.

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
Monolithsoft now can turn these backgrounds into reality.
See this awesome castle over there, you can bet your sweet ass you can go there.
A3BsOR7_d.jpg

OP
OP
mockingbird

mockingbird

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yours is mostly good. Here's mine:

"If we made it, it would have been grand-scale game with settings at the bottom of the sea, on land, and in the sky. There's a large amount of concept art for the sequel sealed away at Bandai Namco. Requests for a sequel should be directed not just to myself and Monolith Soft, but also to Bandai Namco."

Awesome. I replaced mine with yours in the op. Thanks!

Was Baten Kaitos good? I've tried playign Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean several times, but something about it always felt "wrong" to me.

The first one was ok. Even the story was ok. The prequel was a masterpiece. And the prequel's story actually ended up elevating the first game's story since you know so much more about the game's characters and world.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Err, should I play the sequel then? Would I be missing a lot of story if I do?
It has some nice surprises and interesting revelations for those who played the first game, but Origins really just tells its own story. To clarify, the first BK isn't really a bad game. Just very dull to me, with a battle system that makes more sense in the sequel.

OP
OP
mockingbird

mockingbird

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Err, should I play the sequel then? Would I be missing a lot of story if I do?

Yes, play the sequel because it's fun as hell. The battles are great. Story wise both games have nice standalone stories but when you piece the two together it becomes fantastic! I would recommend knowing the story of the first game first to get the most out of the prequel, but the first game is kind of hard to get through. A lot of QOL improvements were made in prequel.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The most memorable thing about about Baiten Kaitos is that they were able to record the voice acting underwater

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
And... yeah, the first game was one of my most disliked games ever, but what I played of the second game was pretty nice! I want to get back sometime.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
So Namco Bandai owns the right? I would love a new Baten Kaitos, but they could just make a spiritual successor, doesn't need to have the name attached. A card-based JRPG with exotic setting and beautiful art style, music is all you need.

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
I would have loved a (spiritual) sequel - best battle system

Please use the same character designer

Dnomla

Oct 27, 2017
United States
That's about what I would have expected from a third game. It's sad it never made it.

Both are very good and worth playing. I personally like Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean and think it has the more interesting story and characters. A lot of people seem to like Origins more though for whatever reason.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I miss Yasuyuki Honne's art.
Chrono Cross and Baten Kaitos have such beautiful background and art.

Edit: I just realized OP misspelled Yasuyuki Honne's name ...

Last edited:

Deleted member 3534

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just bought both games on GameCube and plan to play them soon.

A part of me hopes for an increase in recognition for the series so the values go up and a successor is more likely.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly think that, with the recent grow of popularity of the team (with Xeno being a good seller on the Switch), it would be worht for Bandai to seek for Nintendo support (through Monolith) to develop the game

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
I'd love a sequel, but unless Nintendo steps in with buckets of cash and a remaster of the first two games, I don't see anything happening.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
They probably should just sell the series entirely to Nintendo anyway. They own the developer, the games were Nintendo exclusives, the SECOND GAME was a Nintendo published title everywhere... it may as well be a Nintendo IP at this point. Bonus if they even rerelease the two games on Switch to see if they can/should resurrect 3.

Yeah. I was surprised to see Bandai Namco owns the IP. I guess I got confused with Monolith Soft becoming a part of Nintendo, and how the second game was published by Nintendo.

Anyway, hopefully BN collaborates. It deserves a third game.

Xenosphear

Jul 30, 2018
Croatia
Thanks for this post!

It's heart warming to read it, when developers show that they care and appreciate.

But it's frustrating for me, that the holy trinity (imo) of RPG's from PS2/Game Cube era: Xenosaga, Shadow Hearts and Baten Kaitos are all stuck like that.

Well, we can only continue to dream and hope.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Whaaat!? Please resurrect the project somehow, either Bamco or Monolith/Nintendo :(

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Never played Baiten Kaitos, but having played Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and seeing those amazing worlds Monolith creates, I am eager to see what is coming from them in the future

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
It's a nice confirmation but sad that at the same time 10y later he can only states the obvious after what we heard/saw of the series since then.
DS/3DS would have been fine for this title, now with higher expectations than ever on the visual end, would a mid-range JRPG that wasn't even a success to begin even has the slimmest chance of success?
As much as it pains me I think we all know the answer.

Still up to whatever could be done by fans by posting on forums though and it's still nice to reminisce about Origins and how I still consider it a masterpiece as of today (and how it's frustrating to see scenario writer Kojima directing something like Xenoblade 2 instead).

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so glad to hear him talk about it. I hope Nintendo and BN can bring them back. NOW is the time.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
Maybe they can re-purpose those ideas in a new IP. I'm not married to the Baten Kaitos brand, and might even prefer it if they start fresh.
"Another Monolith game about floating islands above the clouds featuring biotech and giant whale creatures?"
Anyway, I really liked the first game, but since I never finished it, I didn't pick up the prequel. Monolith has a reputation for being fast, but putting another BK in the series rotation probably wouldn't be a sure thing, even if Bandai Namco gives it the OK. Never say never though.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Being frank, with the little they sold I did not see the need to contact Bamco for this.

they can make a new ip

Deleted member 47318

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 1, 2018
I'd love a sequel, but unless Nintendo steps in with buckets of cash and a remaster of the first two games, I don't see anything happening.
Going by Bamco's slow but certain journey to port and re-release their 7th and now also 6th generation games, I could see it happening depending on ownership of the titles. It's just that at the very least Xenosaga would obviously come sooner on their list of priorities.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Just make it your own, like From did with Demon's Souls => Dark Souls. I doubt most people who liked the originals specifically ask for the very same world, we just want the same kind of game.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
Honne voiced interest in developing new games instead of beeing the head of a support Studio for Nintendo and Monolithsoft. With the success of Xenoblade, Switch having a RPG audience with Octopath Traveler as another recent success and Switch beeing successful in general, I would really welcome the idea to support his ambitions by giving him this opportunity and to greenlight further studio expansions.

Nov 1, 2017
Tokyo
The news of a Baten Kaitos 3 being in development at some point really took me by surprise, as I love the games and am playing through them in Japanese but they seem mostly forgotten online.

I honestly love the art direction so much and I'd love if this game got another shot at success. It's legit a great RPG and similar to Xenoblade it has an initial weird battle system but once you get the hang of it it's super fun. Lots of people only look at Xenoblade and Xenosaga but BK is honestly just as good.

Here's some gifs (emulated on Dolphin)
OrganicMeekAmbushbug-size_restricted.gif

BlondFrenchIrrawaddydolphin-size_restricted.gif