• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

If Xbox Live goes free, would you be more likely to jump into the Xbox ecosystem next-gen?

• I wasn't planning on getting an Xbox or Game Pass sub next-gen, and this would not change my mind

Votes: 97 25.8%
  • I wasn't planning on getting an Xbox or Game Pass sub next-gen, but this would make me do so

Votes: 54 14.4%
  • I was already planning on getting an Xbox or Game Pass sub next-gen, so this changes nothing.

Votes: 225 59.8%

• Total voters
Jul 4, 2018
I bet theyre taking away the 12 month and not 3/1 month because it directly contrasts with a plan they have in the future (probably well into 12 months)

If its free Xbox Live around the Series X launch...then jesus I've got a lot of crow to eat.

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would applaud like fuck if they removed paying to game online. That would really impress me and show they are really listening.

That is different than just wrapping it in another sub though because Sony did that this gen :/

ps3ud0 8)

Oct 28, 2017
If MS force Gamepass onto me to be able to play online, I will not be happy. I'm not interested in Gamepass, so would seriously resent being forced to pay more than I currently do for Gold. From the very beginning with Gamepass and everyone praising it, the cynical part of me just thought, yep wait until everyone is forced onto it.

Obviously I hope I'm wrong.
Given what Sony did with the PS Plus trojan horse, it's valid cynicism though I doubt that's how they'll handle it.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
FWIW I have my Xbox Live set to auto renew and I received an email from Microsoft that stated I'm about to be charged for a whole year soon:

Thanks for subscribing to Xbox Live Gold. We're happy you're here.

Office 365 is now Microsoft 365. Microsoft 365 includes everything you enjoy in Office 365, like premium Office apps, and 1 TB of cloud storage, plus new subscription benefits.

You'll be charged the next recurring payment for your subscription soon. On Thursday, August 13, 2020, we'll charge $59.99 plus applicable taxes to your Credit Card ending in ####.

Your subscription will continue for 12 months unless you cancel at least two days before Thursday, August 13, 2020.

To cancel or make other changes, sign into your Microsoft account to manage your subscription.

MS confirmation

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry if this was already posted, did a cursory glance through the thread and didn't see it, but I also could have overlooked it.

A Microsoft rep confirmed that the removal was intentional:

Update: Microsoft has provided TrueAchievements with a statement confirming that the removal of the 12-month Xbox Live Gold subscription was not an error.

A Microsoft spokesperson said, "At this time, Xbox has decided to remove the 12 months Xbox Live Gold SKU from the Microsoft online Store. Customers can still sign up for a one month or three month Xbox Live Gold subscription online through the Microsoft Store." Unfortunately, the company did not specify the reason why it has decided to delist the 12-month option.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Wtf, Phil. Don't force people to buy the significantly more expensive three months at a time or subscribe to the twice as expensive Game Pass if they want to play online. With the generations shifting, there is a good chance that this isn't the entire story and there is something else planned but I'm not liking what's currently visible to us consumers.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
My guess is they make basic online free. No more paying to play online. But if you want access to gamepass/xcloud, then you pay. There will probably also be some other sort of bonuses if you do pay for their new sub. Maybe game sales/early access/etc.

If this IS the case.. Sony has a lot of pressure on them to change things.

Wtf, Phil. Don't force people to buy the significantly more expensive three months at a time or subscribe to the twice as expensive Game Pass if they want to play online. With the generations shifting, there is a good chance that this isn't the entire story and there is something else planned but I'm not liking what's currently visible to us consumers.

My guess is that theyre trying to mitigate people buying 1 year subs when they come out and say "xbox live is now free". It would suck to know you bought an entire year only for them to say "its free now". Makes sense in the long run IMO.

Deleted member 10847

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Im sure that forcing people buy 3 months each time is the plan..

Oct 26, 2017
my honest guess.

Gold will be rolled into gamespass,with a +1-2$ a month tacked on

Nov 8, 2017
I hope it's a positive move. But, Microsoft is counting more and more on subscription revenue and they may not want consumers to have a discounted option.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
My guess is they make basic online free. No more paying to play online. But if you want access to gamepass/xcloud, then you pay. There will probably also be some other sort of bonuses if you do pay for their new sub. Maybe game sales/early access/etc.

If this IS the case.. Sony has a lot of pressure on them to change things.
Yeah I'm sure MS execs just woke up and went "we don't want this cash cow no one questions anymore".

What possible incentive could they have to go back to free online?

grady

Oct 29, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
I don't see how they can make Gold free since it makes up such a huge amount of revenue, same with PS Plus gating online play. Would be huge if it did but could someone run the numbers on what they'd likely lose if it happened?

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
My guess is that theyre trying to mitigate people buying 1 year subs when they come out and say "xbox live is now free". It would suck to know you bought an entire year only for them to say "its free now". Makes sense in the long run IMO.
Yeah, that is my wishful thinking too. Microsoft is pushing for a more consumer friendly image so maybe they are willing to take that enormous loss in revenue for making online free.

my honest guess.

Gold will be rolled into gamespass,with a +1-2$ a month tacked on
Kind of sucks having to pay $11-12 per month just to play online compared to today's $5. Not everyone wants Game Pass.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'd imagine they're discontinuing XBL as it is, and rolling the online into Game Pass as it's a more enticing name now. MS is putting all their chips in on Game Pass.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
👀

They are still available at other places tho. I just got three 12 months codes.

Either an announcement is coming or they are trying to get ahead of ppl trying to game it when it gets announced. Could be both.

Like today I couldnt extend Gold 3 for years, my current sub expired in 2 days. It seems to be capped at 2 years now, plus any promos for a month free. Those month free deals did stack IIRC.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I think it's more likely that they're raising the price of Game Pass, and indirectly Ultimate, and want to stop people from amassing a ton of Live subscriptions to do the cheap upgrade?

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Still dream that it's online play free and going to guess Gamepass Basic/Gamepass Ultimate are the available options.

It could get rather messy if you have too many options and will xcloud have a stand alone sub?

It's the nuclear option to make online play free but they want more users and higher paying gamepass/xcloud subscribers so they could have crunched the numbers etc. and realised the risk of cutting gold revenue is worth it and actually means more revenue in the end.

I think they just don't want people on the hook for 12 months because they are changing something, not making people pay more 1month/3 months subs or doing that $1 ultimate x 12 gold equals Ultimate stacks.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
More likely they're raising the price.
Intentionally removing the yearly sub for Gold implies that they're making some significant changes to it and as a result aren't letting people sub for that long in advance. Could definitely see Game Pass going up in price a bit though.

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if Games with Gold would be phased out in that case. I hope not, I like getting the 360 games.
would be cool if they switch the free games to ( with gamepass you get all these, + you get to choose 1-5 games a month to keep permanently. * being based on value )
so anything in gamespass is there for you to pick and choose. wanta 60$ game, thats 10 credits. you get 5 credits a month. 60= 12 credits, 30 = 6 credits, 20= 3, 5= 1 )

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
They clearly are gearing up to revamp their subscription services with the popularity of Game Pass and the upcoming release of xCloud. I wonder if they'll add anything to mix, remove existing services (No more Gold for Online play?) or just reshuffle existing features under a new package. Hopefully it properly converts subscription already paid for in a way that doesn't diminish value

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I'm sure MS execs just woke up and went "we don't want this cash cow no one questions anymore".

At face value seems insane but if you change even just half of Gold subscribers into Gamepass subscribers you make more money.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i can't imagine they'll make online play free. xbox live makes way too much money for them to give up on that easily.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Yeah this must mean capitalism is dead and companies no longer care about making money

consolidating subscription services is a thing companies do a lot of right now

the intent is to remove redunencies, add value and push users to the most future-looking sub

hbo max is a great example of this

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
It would be huge if online multiplayer became free with the launch of Series X.

The sub would then be for Game Pass + XCloud streaming + 'free' Games With Gold.

Massive if that's what MS decide to do. Would be a reversal of the PS3/360 generation and would essentially make it so Sony would have to make PS5 multiplayer free or take a big PR hit.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Considering how they're merging more and more with PC free multiplayer doesn't seem that insane. Would make the experience more seamless when you switch from platform to platform

OP
OP
Vinc

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting pretty convinced current XBL subs will be converted to Game Pass for free, and that XBL Gold is being retired. No reason for MS to remove the 12 month option this close to next-gen. They're clearly about to announce something regarding Gold in August.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Well more people might buy their box and also Game Pass.

Also...thinking of XCloud's Future...if Live didn't go away, would you have to pay for Multiplayer for that?

Because it would be weird to have to pay for Live AND Game Pass when it stops being "Ultimate-Only".

Meanwhile PC Gamepass users still get to game for free.

Considering how they're merging more and more with PC free multiplayer doesn't seem that insane. Would make the experience more seamless when you switch from platform to platform

Yeah, also this.

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
So best and impossible case scenario, MP becomes free, there is just no way unfortunately.

Second option is they really go full greed and only let you sub for a shorter, more expensive way.

Third option Gold and gamepass fuse still making the simple act of wanting to play online more expensive.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
40 million Gold Subs = 2.4 billion

13.5 million Gamepass Ultimate subs = 2.4 billion

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
It would be huge if online multiplayer became free with the launch of Series X.

The sub would then be for Game Pass + XCloud streaming + 'free' Games With Gold.

Massive if that's what MS decide to do. Would be a reversal of the PS3/360 generation and would essentially make it so Sony would have to make PS5 multiplayer free or take a big PR hit.
If they keep the monthly, 3 months options.....then it wouldnt be free.

It would be consolidating yearly sub options for services.

I'm sure there would be some major PR about it for sure. Just know aligned, 12 months was always cheaper than the monthly options if subbing for the whole year.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

This would be the thing for me.

When a ton of your players playing your games aren't paying to play online but some are and the only difference is the hardware they're on - when you're trying to remove the hardware layer - it makes sense at some point to get everyone on the same page. Would be wild though. I don't expect it to happen if i'm honest. Would be an expensive power move. They make a lot from Gold.

Dreazy

Oct 25, 2018
What if its replaced by game pass for the same exact price as a year of live ? Hmmm.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
If they keep the monthly, 3 months options.....then it wouldnt be free.

It would be consolidating yearly sub options for services.

I'm sure there would be some major PR about it for sure. Just know aligned, 12 months was always cheaper than the monthly options if subbing for the whole year.
I have no idea if they're going to make it free but if they are, keeping the 1-3 month subs *for now* makes sense. Those, if new subs, will end before the launch of XSX, which is when I would assume MS - if they were going to do so - would make multiplayer free. Removing all subs completely now would essentially reveal their big announcement before they make it (if they're going to).