Votes: 1,256 84.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
At the beginning of this gen, a director or something of Assasin's Creed Unity said that the game running at 30FPS was better, as it was more cinematic than 60. These comments, coupled with the disappointing performance of many titles on 2014, sparked a fairly big controversy at the time.

However, over time I've seen more and more people saying (unironically) that they prefer the cinematic feel of the 30FPS over the fluidness of 60 that made it feel more gamey; and while I mocked this attitude a few years ago... I got it when playing The Last of Us Remastered a few days ago. The game no doubt looks and feels more responsive at 60FPS, the experience at 30FPS feels much more like the movie-like, heavy experience The Last of Us is. So, what do you think?

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
It's the dumbest gaming-related statement ever said.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I find it pretty distracting when I go from 60fps gameplay to 30fps in engine cutscenes. Please don't cap cutscene framerate

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Obviously it's intellectually dishonest Movies feature motion blur. Motion blur in a game is like scraping vaseline on your eyeballs.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
30 Fps allows you to push better visuals, in that way it's more cinematic, but i think the whole 30 Fps actually being cinematic is a big meme.

SirBaron

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope this is a trap where people who vote yes get instant banned.

joke, I'm joking.

Maybe

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I think there are some games where 30FPS can contribute to a certain look or feel (with the South Park games being a prime example) but by and large: lol no

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
No but 42fps in movies is the devil.

I wasn't aware of it going into the Hobbit and it made the film look like cheap trash.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
"Cinematic" doesn't define anything, so I'm not sure what it's supposed to mean.

Do you mean close to film rates at 24 fps? US Film only adopted that framerate for cost reasons waaaaaaay back (about a century ago now).

The only reason we haven't moved on is because people have been trained to see that framerate and unrealistic motion blur as "normal", so when they see something closer to real life (48-60-120-etc FPS) people don't think it looks like film. Additionally, since most prop studios know tricks to use that framerate, many props and explosion effects designed for 24 fps don't look as good at higher framerates.

I cannot wait until we drop 24/30 fps in film and moviemaking techniques actually adjust for higher framerates.

In video games, there is absolutely 0 reason to ever go for lower framerate other than "we can't hit performance metrics we want" basically.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
This is entirely dependent on what a game is doing at 30fps.

Is a game at 30FPS with a stronger lighting engine, per object motion blur, and higher quality DoF more cinematic than a game running at 60fps w/out all of those things? Absolutely.

Is a game running at 30FPS w/out any of those bells and whistles more cinematic than a game at 60FPS w/all those bells and whistles? No.

It's entirely case by case. There is no definitive answer one way or the other.

That said, I DO find 30fps + motion blur to feel closer to how movies are traditionally presented compared to the same experience at 60fps + motion blur. It's a familiar visual experience and it's easy to connect. That's just personal preference.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
I just went from playing 60fps in Spyro to 30, and it made me want to throw up. People must think it's more cinematic due to all the effects (motion blur, etc) that's used to mask the terrible framerate.

Feb 24, 2018
No, it was obvious PR talk for justify less then stellar framerates and the Order 1866 was the worse for it for just how blatantly bad the excuses were bad, "We didn't go 60fps because The Hobbit look weird" just wow...

If the next Gen hardware don't fulfil the promises their making now, I guarantee we'll be seeing similar arguments again.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
60fps is way more immersive, as it should be, for playing a game.

30fps feels like I'm watching a movie, which makes me feel detached from the experience.

Games should be immersive. I Iike movies at 24fps. But I like games at 60fps or higher.

Pretty lame excuse for AC Unity's dreadful optimisation but it obviously worked on some people.

Also regarding The Last of Us Remastered on Pro: the latency is so bad at 30fps that aiming is horrible. Move to 60fps and it's a night and day improvement and feels so responsive that I couldn't go back. Try it for yourself, try moving your aim in both the 30 and 60 modes and you'll instantly feel the difference.

The only 30fps game I've played that genuinely feels almost as responsive as a 60fps game latency wise is HZD, which is super ironic coming from the KZ2 devs.

Last edited:

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
60fps is better, 120fps is better than, 144fps better than 120, and so forth. The more the better.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
If there were ever an example of a public relations statement, it would be that. It's also a bad public relations statement because the truth sounds alot better "We're putting the hardware's capabilities into other area's".

Pretending like 30 FPS is actually preferable to 60 FPS is a dumb hill to die on and just leaves your company open to commentary.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I can kinda, sorta see how someone might feel like 60fps games have that "soap opera" effect that you can get on TV's with motion smoothing enabled. But I think people would get over that real fast after playing a 60fps game for a while. At the same time, I've always been fine with a smooth 30fps (on consoles).

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Absolutely not, I will always choose the 60fps version when given the choice, barring playing on a pc which I did for a long time but other reasons chose to step away from

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
I see this thread is off to a great start w/people not understanding what the OP is asking, lol.

SeriousGoku

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 20, 2019
Yes. They are, not only that, 30fps allows for more graphical spoils. Give me more particles.

Lol at these poll results, what on earth? Read the OP

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Something something Hobbit 48 frames vs 24 frames and how people thought 24 looked more right as a movie

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
They also said making women characters was too hard. Maybe they were trying to ship a game that was broken at launch, decidedly rushed, and were trying to market flaws as benefits.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It sucks ass going from 60 to 30 playing the same game. Gears 5 and tlou showed me how horrible it is by comparison. It just takes me a while to adjust back to 30 but it's nkt unplayable for me. 60 should be standard next gen.

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
30fps might be more cinematic but I'd never choose 30 over 60+. I play games mostly for the gameplay and 30fps gives me a headache, Spyro was the worst in 30fps.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
That was always an incredibly blatant lie that devs had to come up with because they couldn't just say that the hardware wasn't as strong as they initially expected it to be and that as a result 30fps was still gonna be the status quo of the generation.

Georgeishon

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 19, 2018
I tried a frame interpolator to see John Wick 2 at 120fps and I really liked it... so no. Even in movies I don't think its better. But opinions.

baggage

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe something where different elements are running at different speeds might be useful for people, where say the camera and game logic is at 60 but all the assets are animated at 24fps or something?

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It IS more cinematic. That's just a fact.
But I don't want my games to be more cinematic.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
1 games aren't cinema
2 cinema isn't defined by the fps anyway, otherwise the same movie in different regions would somehow be less or more cinematic

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Only if you're eating a bag of shit smeared potatoes while you're playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.