• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

malyse

Community Resetter
A Sephora cosmetics store in Hollywood cared more about peddling lipstick than the oral health of customers, and now a woman is stuck with a lifelong disease ... according to a new suit.

A California woman claims she visited the store in October 2015 and sampled a lipstick from one of the "common use" tubes on display ... and ended up with herpes on her lip. She says the infection was diagnosed by medical pros and she claims she never had herpes or cold sores before this Sephora visit.

According to the docs ... Sephora failed to clearly warn the woman and other customers of the risk of getting herpes or other diseases from trying on the lipstick samples. She says if she would have known ... she would've avoided them like the plague.

The woman claims other lipstick companies have proven methods of avoiding herpes exposure -- like individual samples or assistance from trained professionals -- but Sephora cared too much about making a quick buck to bother.

She's suing the cosmetics chain for the emotional distress over an "incurable lifelong affliction" she says she now has to deal with as a result of using its lipstick samples.​

TMZ via Jezebel

Yes, it's possible to contract herpes from lipstick, but it's not very likely.

At least, that is, according to Dr. Janellen Smith, a dermatology professor at the UC Irvine School of Medicine.

Smith explained to HuffPost that there are two forms of the herpes simplex virus, HSV1 and HSV2. HSV1 is the one more frequently shed from the oral cavity, but "neither virus lives very long off the body," she said. "Technically, if someone with a cold sore used a tube of lipstick and then you used one immediately afterward, there is an extremely small chance you could contract the virus."

How extremely small, you ask? Smith laid it out pretty clearly. First of all, she said, "Most people have already contracted the HSV1 virus," adding, "the numbers vary widely but 90 percent of people are already HSV1 positive. That is, they have already been exposed to the virus so they can't get it again. Most people just don't have symptoms."

So, unless a person was HSV1 negative when they came in contact with the lipstick, they would not be able to contract the virus. In addition, Smith said it would have to be "a very small amount of time" between applications by each person and "enough of the virus to cause infection." Finally, she said that the person would also need to have "a crack in the lip skin, although not absolutely necessary."

Dr. Angela Lamb, director of the Westside Mount Sinai Dermatology Faculty Practice, director of dermatology at the Institute of Family Health and an assistant dermatology professor at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, states things a bit more simply.

She told HuffPost that you"absolutely can" contract herpes and that she would "avoid those lipsticks" in order to be sure you avoid potentially getting it.

Smith echoes that sentiment, telling HuffPost that her mantra is to not "share anything with anyone who I am not already sharing kisses with."

For Sephora's part, a spokesperson for the brand confirmed the existence of the law suit to HuffPost, but offered no other information.

"While it is our policy not to comment on litigation, the health and safety of our clients is our foremost priority," they said. "We take product hygiene very seriously and we are dedicated to following best practices in our stores."

To stay on the safe side, we'd say Smith's sharing rule a pretty solid one to stand by, both in lipstick shopping and in life.​

HuffPo

Last edited:

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Lipstick samplers continue to make me shudder, regardless of whether or not this case has merit.

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I honestly never knew lipstick samplers were a thing. People get grossed out sharing chap stick, lipstick shared by many different strangers makes me cringe hard.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
These are the same people that are most likely to get lice.

I told myself that if I was not the first person to try on the demo PSVR I would never try it.

Deleted member 11157

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These are the same people that are most likely to get lice.

I told myself that if I was not the first person to try on the demo PSVR I would never try it.
Yup. No way I'm strapping something greasy to my face and head without a thorough cleaning. Wonder how roller coasters with VR headsets do it.

I should probably stop sharing my chapstick.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
At places like Walmart there's really nothing stopppng you from just pushing the cap off of some lipstick and doing whatever with it. My fiancé taught me the trick to either use the lipstick on your arm or a napkin to get an idea of what it looks like being applied. But yeah, not surprised that people tend to spread their germs all over the place.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
As horrifying as this is most people have herpes and don't even realize it. Especially in populated cities.

MBeanie

Oct 27, 2017
It screams unhygenic from the get go, sharing a product with x-amount of other people and directly applying it to a germ incubating cavity.

Next, I'm going to find out there are unsterilized sample nail clippers.

Littlefang

Oct 27, 2017
Oh god why would anyone use the lipstick sample on their lips? Never ever put any shared sample makeup on your face. You don't know what it's been contaminated with.

Sephora failed to clearly warn the woman and other customers of the risk of getting herpes or other diseases from trying on the lipstick samples. She says if she would have known ... she would've avoided them like the plague.

I mean but this really is a common sense thing. How could you not know? Does she need to be told that using sample eye makeup risks exposure to pink eye? Also Sephora has stuff set out that you're supposed to use to sanitize the lipstick samples. And even then you should still not put it on your lips.

Serena

Oct 25, 2017
They have little clean swabs you're supposed to use to apply the lipstick. You're SUPPOSED to take a clean swab, get the lipstick on it, and apply. No double dipping and no direct application.

That being said, wasn't there an article a while ago that fecal matter was found in makeup store samples?

Just_a_Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Lipstick sampling is a thing? What the hell, why would anyone want to do this? I've seen them in stores, but always imagined they tested an area on the hand or arm.

Cream

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I visited my best friend after not seeing her for a few months, kissed her on the lips a few times that night, and had a cold sore the next morning.

I'm not saying...I'm just saying.

ladyluthien

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like using samplers either. Pretty gross. I have seen young ones and little toddlers just take those things and cram it all over their mouth and their face. Yuckie.
If I want to test the color, i usually swipe a little on hand and then use the makeup remover after.

Bluesteel

Oct 25, 2017
I visited my best friend after not seeing her for a few months, kissed her on the lips a few times that night, and had a cold sore the next morning.

I'm not saying...I'm just saying.

Been a while since I've read up on this, but the super fast timing of that makes it incredibly unlikely that it's a result of your friend.

Lady Murasaki

Scary Shiny Glasses
Oct 25, 2017
Just imagine what kind of mutant stuff those make up samplers that people take dumpster diving have.

I always test on the arm and yet feel a little grossed out. Most times just see the color through the packaging and this is it.
The worst thing is when people ask to borrow your lipstick and you can't say no.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, I would never ever try a lipstick sample. It's basically making out with a stranger. While I understand why she would sue, herpes is a very common disease and it's not serious at all. It basically goes away in a week or two. Chances in reinfection is pretty low in healthy adults.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't herpes pretty common? Like, almost everyone has it?
Not talking about genital heroes here.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
You can get herpes from pretty much everything. And most people do.
That said, dear god why would you use lipstick that a bunch of other randos put on (hopefully only) their lips. There has to be a better solution than that.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I don't like to touch anything in store unlesss I have to. Couldn't imagine using a sample that someone else put on their lips.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
One time, I was at Lush, and I saw one of the employees doing her makeup with the samplers.

It was astonishingly gross.