• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
Which demo is that? Is it up on YouTube? Or was it somebody that played a demo under a different setting and talked about their experience? And are we discounting the possibility that starter Pikachu and Eevee have different abilities than their standard counterparts? It's already been speculated that they have different base stats. Did any of the initial leakers claim that natures and abilities are gone? Seems like that would have been pretty big as well.
They played the demo in Milan a few days ago, it was different from the one at E3 because you could only explore Viridian Forest, and if I remember correctly the poketuber said that neither your pikachu nor the one that you were able to capture in the wild triggered static.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Don't believe too much, we already know that we aren't going to Johto in the post game, it will be a miracle if we get something like the emerald episode after the league/mewtwo.
Well all I can give you is the answer Masuda gave

• You can't get to Johto - Being set in Kanto (which famously was accessible from Johto in the Gold, Silver and Crystal games), some players were wondering if this was possible. Masuda said "I can confirm that you won't be going to Johto". So it seems that it's not.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-06-17-pokemon-lets-go-pikachu-eevee-guide-release-date-5010

I would not hold my breath in expecting a big post game.

Aww, that doesn't sound all that encouraging.

qq more

Oct 25, 2017
Yeahhhh I don't expect any other regions to make an appearance in post-game for this game but I certainly hope there's some good content regardless.

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
They can call it whatever they want. To me, this looks like a low effort cash grab to plug a hole until the real game is ready. Doesn't mean it can't be fun, but it's not a mainline game to me any more than Pokémon go is.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Come on guys it's a core game. It's just a different pillar than the ones we're used to.

I'm not a fan of it at all, but it still is made by Game Freak and advertised as the next mainline games.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
They can call it whatever they want. To me, this looks like a low effort cash grab to plug a hole until the real game is ready. Doesn't mean it can't be fun, but it's not a mainline game to me any more than Pokémon go is.
Pretty much, that said the work they are putting into the pikachu and evee customisation is nice and I hope the pokemon alongside of you thing caries over into the main games

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't we had this conversation about the post game with you in the announcement thread? I'm pretty sure we did lol.
Possibly? But there was a lot less information back when the game was announced so I didn't really get an answer one way or another. I was just wondering if anything was confirmed or not since he said it has objectively less content.

Oct 25, 2017
Eeeeeh ok Gamefreak. Still gonna wait for the 2019 game. Their definition and idea of "core pokemon game " has either expanded to include Pokemon Go variants , or just changed all together.

For them to make this statement without more info is some pretty poor massaging. Feels like a flimsy attempt to get traditonal/non-go fans to buy Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee.

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Unreasonable toxic idiots like myself expecting meaningful new content in a new Pokemon game, I guess?

I never said anyone was unreasonable or toxic. The game doesn't look like it's for me, and I've been off Pokemon for a while (Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon were awful cash-ins of average games) but it seems to be provoking some serious vitriol.

Oct 27, 2017
I consider Let's Go! to be a gaiden game. It's part of the main series, but it's so radically different that it creates it's own flavor of it. I Pickachu and Evee succeed, then Let's Go! could mark the start of a new Pokemon sub-series in the core games. Sort of like how you have Classic Mega Man, as well as X, Zero, ZX, Battle Network, and StarForce running all at the same time.

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
This grass looks horrible with it barely even being green with how much cyan it is. The artstyle is good, but the color is bad.

tgr7VNJ.png

I like my grass to actually be green, and last I checked grass isn't cyan.
Okay but if you're gonna be less realistic, then at least make that a cohesive design decision.

The grass is cyan but the trees are still green. If they were gonna adopt this the trees should've been cyan as well.

slakothtree.png

That's not even the same thing, you know I'm referring to fields of grass not small bushes right?

I can see how the choice might be off-putting for some. I personally think it suits series' look. Pokemon's always been a franchise with a loud, toy-like pop aesthetic geared towards kids. You see it in everything from the PR material to the Pokemons' color schemes to the merchandise. The most naturalistic point of the mainline games was probably the early Sugimori watercolors. (edit: XY was reserved as well) Zelda on the other hand has always been a more fluid franchise, flowing between the extremes of reality and cartoon. There are 2D and 3D Zeldas that care to be more natural with their palettes and there others that get as wild as Pokemon.

I also think there may be a little overcompensation for the early LCD screens of the DS. They've always been dull compared to the higher end displays other platforms could enjoy, so they played with contrast to get the desired effect. As Zoukka said, instant readability was a key to HG/SS's presentation. They knew when they could get away with breaking the rules and pulled it off well, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Other than the stupid names, why do people actually have a problem with them? Is it because they revisit the first region again?
151 only and no new content that seems substantial.(to me)
So, I was pretty upset at first when we learned the game would be Kanto Pokemon only. But to be honest I've come to feel it's a part of the game's charm and identity. It *is* still a shame that we can't have our newer Pokemon in a game like this, but Kanto-only does make my nostalgic side a little excited to be pushed into being re-acquainted with Pokemon I otherwise wouldn't have ever bothered with again. Does anyone else feel this way?

We also probably couldn't have gotten following for every Pokemon and steeds for anything big enough if it was more than Kanto, either.

No.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
My sole issue is if it's completely incompatible with Gen 2+ Pokemon.
If it's a "Core game", why would it make PokeBank useless? Will tPCi give a 5 dollar refund to everyone who got PokeBank in the last year?
If it turns out PokeBank isn't useless... not sure why they'd claim there are only Gen 1 Pokemon, especially when they make an exception for that "one new Pokemon".
And yes, I realize RBY and GSC are technically compatible with PokeBank, but those are one-way transfers from old Virtual Console games, not the actual goddamn current release games. Doing the same here would boggle the mind.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I am very concerned about how the fandom will react if Let's Go does as well as I think it will, I don't wanna get tackled

Also what is this Pokebank

Wololo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I am very concerned about how the fandom will react if Let's Go does as well as I think it will, I don't wanna get tackled

It will be too late to change the 2019 game by the time letals go launches in Novembe any changes wouldnt be seen till 2020 at least.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My sole issue is if it's completely incompatible with Gen 2+ Pokemon.
If it's a "Core game", why would it make PokeBank useless? Will tPCi give a 5 dollar refund to everyone who got PokeBank in the last year?
If it turns out PokeBank isn't useless... not sure why they'd claim there are only Gen 1 Pokemon, especially when they make an exception for that "one new Pokemon".
And yes, I realize RBY and GSC are technically compatible with PokeBank, but those are one-way transfers from old Virtual Console games, not the actual goddamn current release games. Doing the same here would boggle the mind.

Maybe it'll be compatible but just with gen 1 Pokemon.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Are they going to translate the Eevee at least. Hearing it say "Eievui" all the time in the trailers is... odd.

It's like Gardevoir saying "Sirnight" all the time in Pokken.

And I know they have an English Eevee voice, showed in Smash 4.

Nov 1, 2017

Pokebank is cloud storage for your Pokemon. Once stored, you can transfer your Pokemon to another core game of the same version they were caught in or later. Well, until now if LGPE is considered core. It's $5 a year and won't stack with Nintendo's new online service.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
The really concerning thing about Game Freak failing to properly delineate Let's Go from the mainline stuff is that most of the more detestable elements of Let's Go were already present in the mainline games to a lesser degree. Let's Go could be pretty good as a containment series for that sort of stuff, but with the "it's a core game but also not" messaging from them and the recent history of over correction for perceived accessibility issues with the series, I don't have a lot of faith that that's how it's actually going to play out. Even if Gen VIII manages to be mostly unscathed, I'm still concerned about how Let's Go's sales are going to effect Gen IX and beyond since Game Freak already seems to have a predisposition for moving in that direction of late.

I don't get why people say it's low-effort, the graphics look fantastic.

Not really. While there's objectively more detail, it's pretty lacking aesthetically, especially with the environments going back to being grid based and the humans all looking pretty... off.

It's also no where near as big a jump as you'd expect given the difference in hardware power. Like, I'm not expecting Xenoblade 2 or BotW tier graphics, but this fails to clear the already pretty low bar of what I expected from Game Freak on the hardware.

Hopefully the real mainline game will be able to at least clear the "Sun and Moon in HD" bar.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Are they going to translate the Eevee at least. Hearing it say "Eievui" all the time in the trailers is... odd.

It's like Gardevoir saying "Sirnight" all the time in Pokken.

And I know they have an English Eevee voice, showed in Smash 4.

Japanese pokemon voices are better in general. They didnt localize pikachu because the voice just works, similarly I dont expect any english version of eevee to sound as cute.

If you're talking about Pokken, half of them dont use their own names to speak like Braixen is straight up spouting gibberish.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Of course it's a core game.

It feels different, but incredibly safe at the same time...

wolftendo

Oct 30, 2017
So they are officially called Pokemon Monsters, and they're referred by GameFreak, Nintendo and TPC as a core series. That means they're a core series, no matter how different from "traditional games" they might be.

The designation of a game lies on its developer/publisher, not on the opinion of fans. I don't know why this topic would require 12+ pages of discussion but oh well.