• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
The Pokémon Company: "GO is selling gangbusters because it's only the original 150"

Niantic: "Actually we're keeping people interested by adding new Pokémon,events,raids and cosmetics regularly"

TPC: "The original 150..."

Game must be tracking like shit among the non casual fanbase given their insistence to pass it for a mainline game

I wouldn't be surprised about the casual GO crowd not being happy about the idea of buying a $300 n extra $60 for a game with less Pokémon than the one for free in their phones

we're now fabricating company interactions? I mean it doesn't surprise me considering you're a regular in these threads but this is just getting too weird now.

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
Unbridled salt and pessimism

Meanwhile I'm over here playing Pokemon go again

Smell ya later losers

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Fact of the matter is they can call it whatever the hell they want and it still won't change the public perception of the game.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Pokémon Company: "GO is selling gangbusters because it's only the original 150"

Niantic: "Actually we're keeping people interested by adding new Pokémon,events,raids and cosmetics regularly"

TPC: "The original 150..."

Game must be tracking like shit among the non casual fanbase given their insistence to pass it for a mainline game

I wouldn't be surprised about the casual GO crowd not being happy about the idea of buying a $300 n extra $60 for a game with less Pokémon than the one for free in their phones

... what are you talking about? lmao They only said it in the announcement and in two interviews where they were asked. It's not like they're talking about it all the time. Seriously, it's getting ridiculous.

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
PREACH!

This reminds me of the whole "Xenoblade X is a spin-off" bs I keep seeing all over the internet.

Oct 29, 2017
Tbh I don't mind if its referred to as core or not. I'm gonna give it a try because I like that the random battles are gone and you can see the Pokemon your gonna battle, but as far as almost every other change they made...Ill see how it turns out.

Bulbul

Nov 20, 2017
They don't need to justify and aren't doing it. They are the ones who define what is core or not like they always did. And Let's Go is core since it's announcement regardless of what you people feel about it.
Gamefreak can call it what they want, I don't think highly of them or their PR.
Why do they need to define what is core and what isn't, the game should speak for itself.
The spin-off sounding subtitle is the main issue, I played and loved many Spin-off games, including Mystery Dungeon, which I think is better than the "core" series.

This game being a spin-off isn't really a problem by itself, if they didn't advertise it side by side with the actual core series in the same freaking announcement video, with a spin-off sounding subtitle, and calling it a main game at the same time, this conflict wouldn't have started.

Was it hard to call it Pokemon: Pikachu Version and Pokemon: Eevee Version?

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fact of the matter is they can call it whatever the hell they want and it still won't change the public perception of the game.

The public perception more known as people in forums, youtube and reddit and not the majority of the people that buys Pokémon? Well, sure, that always happening not only in Pokémon but in every series. That's also why the series continues to sell in such level even if there's those complaints in those same public because the difference in perception between those two publics is big and one is much huge than the other.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do they need to define what is core and what isn't, the game should speak for itself.
The spin-off sounding subtitle is the main issue, I played and loved many Spin-off games, including Mystery Dungeon, which I think is better than the "core" series.

This game being a spin-off isn't really a problem by itself, if they didn't advertise it side by side with the actual core series in the same freaking announcement video, with a spin-off sounding subtitle, and calling it a main game at the same time, this conflict wouldn't have started.

They didn't announce it as spin-off because they don't see it as one as we can clearly see in many different examples, including on the OP.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
An almost slavishly-accurate Pokemon Yellow remake is "not core" because they changed how you catch wild Pokemon? People.

Solid summary, OP.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think so.

I think you might have a case if they hadn't announced a real pokemon game for 2019. You've kinda just dismissed it, but when have they ever had two entirely separate mainline entries announced to be in development?

Let's Go feels like a mid-point between Go and the main series. It's "what if we made a game that was based on and inspired by Go, but also brought in elements from the mainline series, and amped up the nostalgia play that Go used by going back to the origins of the mainline series".

But they announced 2019 already because Let's Go is not a replacement for the main series.
Dude wrote all that and you casually dismiss it in the same breathe you insist he is doing it.

He directly says at the announcement that refer to it as another Pokemon series. The phrasing is still ambiguous but he did try to address everything in full.

Personally by itself I would disagree with his interpretation of the 2019 announcement but his sourcing of everything else forces me to consider he most likely is correct in how they view it as a core series.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

MD is made by a different company, in a different genre, by different directors. That's undeniably a spinoff.
If a game plays mostly the same and is developed 1st party they can get away with avoiding labels that define something as being completely different.

Jul 4, 2018
The only argument I could see for it not being core is the catching mechanics and the fact only the first 151 will be catchable (I think off memeory this is the first time we've been limited to this post game outside of Red, Blue, Green and Yellow of course). Edit: Forgot to mention I don't agree with this train of thought, there has always been changes to Mainline games most recently that you don't need HMs taking up one of your valuable four moves.

This game is quickly becoming The Last Jedi of Pokemon games.

If that means it's going to be my second game/movie favourite behind the 2nd entry in the series which (Silver/Gold for Pokémon and Empire Strikes Back for Star Wars) which are both held up abs the best and also my favourites, then I will be incredibly happy.

I'm liking the look of Let's Go so far. The capture mechanics is don't deter me too much, although I was never huge on wild Pokémon battles. I would use false swipe and a ball on Pokémon I wanted, mainly hunting for shiny, kinda became a boring aspect of the game. I do hope they have a system so you can battle trainers multiple times though, otherwise catching Pokémon to level will be a little tiresome.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
This is like companies calling a remake a "Remaster plus". We all know it isn't a core mainline title, even if the company calls it that.
The fact that it only contains first gen Pokémon should be enough, but peowle will keep being stubborn I suppose.
Huh? Since when?

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

I have seen too much confusion about this here and everywhere and I believe it's time to set things straight.

Yes, Pokémon Let's Go, Pikachu! and Let's Go, Eevee! are core series Pokémon games. They are also mainline game. Mainline and core is exactly the same thing.

Pokémon Let's Go is the third entry in the seventh generation of core Pokémon series. And will be remembered as the first core Pokémon game ever on a home console.

Now, allow me to explain.

Pocket Monsters

pokemon_games_cover_arts.jpg

To explain this I first have to talk about the origins of Pokémon. ポケットモンスター 赤 Pocket Monsters: Red and ポケットモンスター 緑 Pocket Monsters: Green were the first games of the entire Pokémon franchise, released on 1996.

The Pocket Monsters franchise was brought to the west as the "Pokémon" franchise, a smaller one-word name because Pocket Monsters is a mouthful. After this they also begun to use the term "Pokémon" in Japan and nowadays every Pokémon movie starts with the phrase "Pocket Monsters, or Pokemon for short".

On 1998, thanks to Pokémon popularity, the first ever spin-off title (as we categorize them here on the west) was released: ポケモン スタジアム Pokémon Stadium for the Nintendo 64. At the time developers didn't want people to confuse spin-offs with the main Pokémon series, so they decided to use the short word "Pokémon" (ポケモン) for every spin-off game since while reserving the full name Pocket Monsters ポケットモンスターシリーズ for the main series.

In Japan the official term Game Freak uses for spin-off games is 『ポケットモンスター』シリーズ 関連作品 which in English would be "Pocket Monsters series related games". On The Pokémon Company's website the term used for spin-offs is そのほかのポケモンソフト or "Other Pokémon soft".

Core games

For years the term "mainline games" or the "main series" were used by fans to refer to the main Pokémon RPGs for Nintendo handhelds. The term was also used loosely by Nintendo and TPCi however that changed on the 5th generation.

You see, for years The Pokémon Company International was using incorrect or at least not totally accurate translations for some aspects related to the games. One of these aspects are Legendary Pokémon.

In Japan since Pokémon Red and Green there have been two groups of very special Pokémon: 伝説のポケモン Legendary Pokémon and 幻のポケモン Illusory Pokémon. Legendary is the group of powerful Pokémon that can be caught in-game and are usually the ones in the cover like Mewtwo, Groudon, Rayquaza, Dialga, Giratina, Zekrom, Xerneas, Zygarde, Tapu Koko, Solgaleo, Lunala, Necrozma, etc. On the other hand, the Illusory group was created so developers could hide Pokémon in the game data and then distribute the creatures themselves as a later date as a way to revive hype for the game. The first Illusory Pokémon was Mew, and since we have lots of event-exclusive Pokémon such as Celebi, Jirachi, Arceus, Genesect, Volcanion, Zeraora, etc.

However, when the games where brought to the west the translators ignored this difference and called every Pokémon from both groups "Legendary". This mistake continue to being carried for years until TPCi decided to stop it and in Gen V the official translation of "Mythical Pokémon" was used for the first time.

Ever since Pokémon BW, official media in the west recognizes the two separate terms and Mythical or Illusory Pokémon were never referred to as Legendary again.

Another translation that was corrected, or at least they started to take it more seriously is an official designation for the mainline Pokémon games. Both spin-offs and mainline games are called "Pokémon" here so they couldn't suddenly change the games to "Pocket Monsters". However they decided that the official term for the mainline series would be the "Core Series".

The earliest use of this term that I could find was on an interview with IGN where they ask if the mainline games will ever be on a home console like the Wii. The interviewer of course has no idea that the "core series" term exist so it's normal to use the mainline term. However, when replying the Masuda's translator uses the correct term core series.

Since then, The Pokémon Company International has always referred to the main Pokémon series as the "core series of Pokémon RPGs". During Generation 6 the term gained more notoriety as it was used for X/Y on an Iwata Asks interview and also on the official website.

Pokémon Let's Go

Pokemon-Lets-Go-Pikachu-and-Lets-Go-Eevee_2018_07-12-18_017.jpg

Now we're finally back to 2018. As you should have learned through this post, the difference between "core" and "mainline" doesn't exist in Japan. There there are only two very clearly defined categories of games, the "Pocket Monsters series games" and the "Pokemon games". The official Japanese names for the games are ポケットモンスター Let's Go! ピカチュウ Pocket Monsters: Let's Go! Pikachu and ポケットモンスター Let's Go! イーブイ Pocket Monsters: Let's Go! Eievui. They are both part of the Pocket Monsters series.

Tsunekazu Ishihara, TPC's president, stated very clearly in the Famitsu interview that Pokémon Let's Go are the first Pocket Monsters series games ever on a home console. And as you saw on the Twitter video on the top of this post, throughout the conference the games were called mainline / core multiple times.

The reality is that core and mainline is exactly the same thing. There's no difference, both are translated exactly the same to "Pocket Monsters series" in Japanese.

Even Joe from Serebii had to clarify on Twitter yesterday about this:

Let's Go is a very different game from previous entries in the core series sure, and the next game will be very different from it, but that doesn't mean Let's Go isn't part of the core series. Some people try to undervalue Let's Go by saying it's a spin-off or that it isn't a core game, but those are just lies. Not even an opinion: a lie. Something not true.

The 2019 core game

n9EZerj.png

Now let's briefly talk about the core Pokémon RPG for 2019. This will be the first game from the eight generation of Pokémon and the second entry of the series for a home console.

Many people refer to the tweet from TPC to say something like "the true core game will be out in 2019 and Let's Go is a spin-off" but that's misleading.

Yes, the 2019 game will be part of the core Pokémon series. A new core game is coming in 2019. However, that doesn't mean that Let´s Go is not a core game. Heck, as you saw in the video above in the press conference they explicitly stated that the 2019 title will be "another core game", apart from Let's Go. Both are core games.

ZJwLSRS.png

If you are reading this then that means you (hopefully) have read everything until the end! Thank you for taking your time.

I hope my post helps to clear some of the confusion about Pokémon Let's Go, Pikachu! and Let's Go, Eevee! Of course you are free to have your own opinion of the games, you can even hate them if you want, but please don't spread misinformation. The fake news problem is already very bothersome, let's not make it worse.

Even though the games are clearly not oriented to our "hardcore" demographic, I applaud Game Freak for finally experimenting with the core series and trying something new, as they are known to be very safe and predictable. Let's hope that the next time Game Freak decides to take a big risk they focus on longtime Pokémon fans.

I dont, since in the case of Lets Go, they're making game that is EVEN SAFER and predictable.
It's basically the same formula, with everything dumbed down. With underwhelming visuals and the same old blocky level design.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
So we're only allowed to post if we love the game?

If I have to deal with people constantly arguing over XB2's character designs I think you can live with this.

Didn't say you have to like anything. There's constructive criticism, and there's what we see here with people portraying developers as being mentally incapable or far worse. And its always the same faces that show up just to remind everyone how they want to play something "for babies" , like the guy above me has been warned for.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
An almost slavishly-accurate Pokemon Yellow remake is "not core" because they changed how you catch wild Pokemon? People.

Solid summary, OP.
Ok, let's dive into this a bit. On the aesthetic front I think you're completely right. It is a very accurate and lovingly recreated version of Yellow. It's one of the reasons I'm personally buying the game. However, battling wild pokemon has been a part of core titles for over twenty years. That is, until now with the Let's Go games. Excluding that aspect of the series in this game is not slavishly-accurate to Yellow or the rest of the titles in the core series. I'm not gonna say it's automatically worse than the other games, but it's not accurate to the other games. The Let's Go games are something distinct from other core titles in the series. I guess this all ends meaning that there's going to be a spectrum of core Pokemon titles now rather than it being a either/or.

Sebastopa

Apr 27, 2018
Sorry, you are right, I shouldn't have said less content because my definition of content had a value judgement built into it where as others might not.

Let's Go has pretty much the same amount of content as Yellow did 20 years ago, however the changed content's quality is so low by my personal assessment that I don't value it as content.
Point still stands that changing the style of Pokemon wild encounters does not mean it has any less content than what the other games had. Also, we still don't know what else will this game have in terms of Story and post-Story content. So this criticism feels premature at best.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't say you have to like anything. There's constructive criticism, and there's what we see here with people portraying developers as being mentally incapable or far worse. And its always the same faces that show up just to remind everyone how they want to play something "for babies" , like the guy above me has been warned for.

That particular instance seemed like a joke to me to be honest.

As for the same people showing up it always seems to be like that regardless of the game.

I've personally tried to rain in my salt over this game but I admit I'm not always successful.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Dude wrote all that and you casually dismiss it in the same breathe you insist he is doing it.

He directly says at the announcement that refer to it as another Pokemon series. The phrasing is still ambiguous but he did try to address everything in full.

Personally by itself I would disagree with his interpretation of the 2019 announcement but his sourcing of everything else forces me to consider he most likely is correct in how they view it as a core series.
I don't really understand what your point is. Are you suggesting that I should have to agree with OP because it contains a lot of text? I disagree with the opinion outlined in the OP, so I presented my differing view.

The fact that a real mainline game is coming in 2019, and was unveiled alongside Let's Go, is pretty clear indication of what's going on.

Deleted member 42686

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
So we're only allowed to post if we love the game?

If I have to deal with people constantly arguing over XB2's character designs I think you can live with this.

Thats the impression I'm getting. We're moving from a misinformation spread(understandable, judging the whole situation) to "the game gonna sells anyway".

Last edited:

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Replacing wild encounters with Pokémon GO catch mechanics =/= less content. Especially because no features are lost at all since you can still experience traditional core battle mechanics in trainer encounters, stop trying to fit your disengagement to the idea as an absolute criticism to the games.

Point still stands that changing the style of Pokemon wild encounters does not mean it has any less content than what the other games had. Also, we still don't know what else will this game have in terms of Story and post-Story content. So this criticism feels premature at best.

Consendering there criticism recent Pokémon games have been having for post game content. The already confirmed cut online features. And the fact that there so devoted to marketing to nostalgia as hard as humanly possible that they've removed content that would have bee in a more traditional remake(the other Pokémon Gen's including the direct evolutions like Umbreon or Crobat.)

I'd say feeling that this game will lack content shouldn't be that hazardous a bet.

Bulbul

Nov 20, 2017
MD is made by a different company, in a different genre, by different directors. That's undeniably a spinoff.
If a game plays mostly the same and is developed 1st party they can get away with avoiding labels that define something as being completely different.
The true test will be the sales, if this doesn't sell like the Remakes I bet you they won't reference it as a core series.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I don't really understand what your point is. Are you suggesting that I should have to agree with OP because it contains a lot of text? I disagree with the opinion outlined in the OP, so I presented my differing view.

The fact that a real mainline game is coming in 2019, and was unveiled alongside Let's Go, is pretty clear indication of what's going on.
I was making four different points. My second point was to call out your poor usage of casual dismissal when he did everything possible to address it.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo

Point taken, I will refrain from making comments about the amount of content until after the game is released. However, due to their insistence on keeping the game very similar to Yellow, I some how doubt there will be an extensive amount of post-Story content.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Having the wild battles replaced doesn't mean that this game has less content, it just means that it has different content and I welcome the change honestly. It's not like wild battles were Hardcore to begin with, I'd argue that catching pokemon in Go is actually harder.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
That particular instance seemed like a joke to me to be honest.

As for the same people showing up it always seems to be like that regardless of the game.

I've personally tried to rain in my salt over this game but I admit I'm not always successful.

I might have interpreted it as a joke if it wasn't someone I recognized immediately. There's definitely 5 or so people that will show up every time to try and make everyone feel like idiots for wanting to play these games.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I might have interpreted it as a joke if it wasn't someone I recognized immediately. There's definitely 5 or so people that will show up every time to try and make everyone feel like idiots for wanting to play these games.

As much as I don't like some things about this game I do want to make it clear that I have no ill will to anyone that does.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

It's not because someone says a game looks dumb, watered down or unambitious that it means they're badmouthing you for wanting to play it. It's your right to play it and no one's gonna insult you for this.
People just get annoyed because Gamefreak is handling a multi million franchise that fails to evolve at a sufficient pace on some departments.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017

It shouldn't be that hard if you have some perspective. Pokémon is a game for children and seeing grown men be cynical and witty about it is kind of embarrassing.

It's the stuff I expect from /vp (4chan), not Resetera.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
It's definitely a core mainline series in my eyes. Plus they've said so multiple times. It's Gen VII's remake titles just like Gens II to IV and VI had. So to me it's a core title. Made by Game Freak and everything.

What I DON'T like is all the decisions they're making for this attempt. And I'm the person who always gives GF the benefit of the doubt and haven't been disappointed with them. But this title managed to do that even before it's release.

Diamond/Pearl/Platinum were supposed to be next Game Freak! We already had a Kanto remake! I already had Gen 1 stuffed into my face since Gen VI from you guys!

I'm going to buy it solely to give it a chance, but I'm waiting to see if Bank will be compatible. If it's not then these new games are a waste of my time.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
As they have said in interviews, it seems likely that Pokémon Let's Go will start a second series of core main RPGs that will exist with the more traditional ones. This may be where some of the confusion lies as people seem to struggle to comprehend two Pocket Monsters Series games so I always use the Mario analogy.

New Super Mario Bros. U is a mainline Mario game
Super Mario Odyssey is also a mainline Mario game

They're two different genres but they're both mainline. I imagine if Let's Go is successful, and Gen 8 is equally successful, then we'll get the two running concurrently (probably one year Gen 8, next year Let's Go remake and so forth. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if remakes were shifted into the Let's Go arm)

Then we have the people bringing up Colosseum & XD. I always have to point them to the Japanese official site which lists them under "Other"

The most simple way of describing it is:

If it's ポケットモンスター in the game name, it's main/core
If it's ポケモン in the game name, it's spin-off

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It shouldn't be that hard if you have some perspective. Pokémon is a game for children and seeing grown men be cynical and witty about it is kind of embarrassing.

It's the stuff I expect from /vp (4chan), not Resetera.

I mean their making a game dumber then it was when I first played it for people who are presumably the same age I was.

The cynicism about that ain't going away.

The other bit is simply salt that almost non of my favorite Pokémon will be in this game and further catering to Gen 1 fans.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
its a Pokemon rpg developed and directed internally by GameFreak. Its a core rpg by definition whether you like it or not.
Pokémon Quest is a Pokémon RPG developed and directed internally by Game Freak.

It is clearly a spinoff
By this logic, something like Persona is a mainline SMT game whether we like it or not.

Let's Go is a spin off.
Difference is that Game Freak OUTRIGHT SAY it is Core.

Come on