• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
The amount of denial in this thread is amazing.

If the developers that are making the fucking game say it's a mainline title then it's a mainline title.

Period.

OP
OP
Atheerios

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
As they have said in interviews, it seems likely that Pokémon Let's Go will start a second series of core main RPGs that will exist with the more traditional ones. This may be where some of the confusion lies as people seem to struggle to comprehend two Pocket Monsters Series games so I always use the Mario analogy.

New Super Mario Bros. U is a mainline Mario game
Super Mario Odyssey is also a mainline Mario game

They're two different genres but they're both mainline. I imagine if Let's Go is successful, and Gen 8 is equally successful, then we'll get the two running concurrently (probably one year Gen 8, next year Let's Go remake and so forth. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if remakes were shifted into the Let's Go arm)

Then we have the people bringing up Colosseum & XD. I always have to point them to the Japanese official site which lists them under "Other"

The most simple way of describing it is:

If it's ポケットモンスター in the game name, it's main/core
If it's ポケモン in the game name, it's spin-off
Oh man, I would absolutely love to see the meltdowns if the Sinnoh remakes have the Let's Go style.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I️ like Pokémon go a lot. I️ haven't enjoyed a core Pokémon game since the DS ones.

I'm willing to give let's go a shot. Honestly can't be worse than sun and moon. And If it is, ehh I'll just continue not having good new pkmn games

It's weird how aggressive people are towards these games

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
By this logic, something like Persona is a mainline SMT game whether we like it or not.

Let's Go is a spin off.

Persona is its own core series based on SMT thats just as important, if not more so to Atlus at this point.
The SMT branding was only added outside of Japan iirc. so its not being promoted as a spinoff.

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
Do people really think the developers have to say "It is a core game" for it to sell? Have you been paying attention to Pokemon sales since Pokemon became a thing?

Mainstream won't care about this whole core or not core business, hell I bet these terms will not even reach them, this whole thing only serves for nerds like us to claw at each other at dumb terminology, just like we did with the whole "Mario 3D World=not a real 3D Mario" or "Not a real JRPG" bullshit.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Let's Go is not part of the mainline games no matter how much people (and I'm including Game Freak and TPC in this) want to pretend it is. As an actual mainline game, Let's Go would be a notable regression in a wide variety of aspects. At best it's an attempt to branch off a more casual-focused spin-off series.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Do people really think the developers have to say "It is a core game" for it to sell? Have you been paying attention to Pokemon sales since Pokemon became a thing?

Mainstream won't care about this whole core or not core business, hell I bet these terms will not even reach them, this whole thing only serves for nerds like us to claw at each other at dumb terminology, just like we did with the whole "Mario 3D World=not a real 3D Mario" or "Not a real JRPG" bullshit.
To be fair, spin-off games don't do amazingly well
Let's Go is not part of the mainline games no matter how much people want to pretend it is. As an actual mainline game, Let's Go would be a notable regression in a wide variety of aspects. At best it's an attempt to branch off a more casual-focused spin-off series.
I'd take the developer and publisher's word of what the game is (calling it Core/Main) over the Internet trying to reach to claim otherwise

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
When looking at it through technical terms it's probably a "core" game. But when people say it's not a "core game" they're basically saying it's a game focused for casuals and not a proper sequel or evolution of the Pokémon Red/Blue/Silver/Ruby/etc games.

I thought this was obvious, I guess not.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People insecure about the direction of the series with respect to their own expectations try to downplay LGPE, but they're core games.

I can't look wait for them, and for Pokémon 8 next year.

Last edited:

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, spin-off games don't do amazingly well

I'd take the developer and publisher's word of what the game is (calling it Core/Main) over the Internet trying to reach to claim otherwise
Sorry I should have included this in my post to begin with, but I don't put any particular stock in that. It can be a second "Pocket Monsters" series just fine but that doesn't make it part of the mainline games. You could maybe say it's creating a new second mainline, but then you need qualifiers to separate the two.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I viewed them as their own separate thing, that doubled as a segue into the mainline games for the casual mobile audience of Pokemon Go. Yes, they're reimaginings of a generation 1 game, I acknowledge that, but they feel like some strange hybrid between mainline series and Pokemon Go. That doesn't make them anything less, compared to what I expect from what has been a traditional Pokemon experience, but they just look like something different. Maybe I'm just not clear on what they represent, all the same though I'm still looking forward to playing them.

Uhh, I guess call them whatever you want but the Let's Go games have some pretty distinct mechanics from the other titles. That's why it's status as a mainline/core title is contentious, not a confusion over mainline vs core.

And this.

OP you are perfectly right.

At the same time you can have different "tiers" of games in a core series.

Let's take the Zelda series as an example. Breath of the Wild, Twilight Princess, Phantom Hourglass, Triforce Heroes and Four Swords Adventures are all core games, all having the "The Legend of Zelda" moniker which the spin-offs (like Hyrule Warriors, Crossbow Training and the Tingle game) are laking.
However, we all agree that Twilight Princess and Breath of the Wild are "tier A" games: the milestones of the Zelda series, AAA games made by some of the most talented people over Nintendo. Nintendo even acknowledged this in the SS reveal trailer, by referencing OoT, MM, WW and TP.
Then we have "tier B": the 2D games. They are still mainline (and good games!) and they are used by the Zelda team to experiment some stuff which may or may not find their way in the next, major "tier A" installement, but the overall ambition of the game is lower and so are the sales and the fan expectations.
And then we have "tier C": the multiplayer games: Four Swords, FS Adventures and Triforce Heroes.

For the Pokémon series we have:
Tier A games: the new-gen games: RG, GS, RS, DP, BW, XY, SM and their extensions (B/Y, C, E, Pt, BW2, USUM)
Tier B games: the remakes: FRLG, HGSS, ORAS
Tier C games: the Let's Go series

Learned something new.

Last edited:

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
People insecure about the direction of the series with respect to their own expectations try to downplay LGPE, but they're core games.

I can't look forward to them, and to Pokémon 8 next year.

I look forward to both titles as well for very different reasons. Similarly I also will continue to play multiple smash bros games simultaneously despite people relentlessly telling me otherwise.
Ill also keep watching Sun and Moons anime, despite so many of the same Pokemon fans trying to tell everyone how "bad" the new designs are.

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
No core game has had no wild battles..

This is not a core game, its a spin off.

Core game is in 2019

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
Gamefreak/TPC is just taking a page out of Activision where they have 3 branches of COD. Hell, you could argue that they took this approach years ago.

During the last few years they have released Pokemon almost yearly with:

-New generation games
-"Third" version(s)
-Remakes

Now the Let's Go branch will be part of this. I see people here joking about Sinnoh getting the Let's Go treatment but the one that is on the chopping block since 4 branches might be too much it's the "third" version since these are the games that sell the least.

IMO this is how the pokemon schedule looks for the next few years:

2019: Gen 8
2020: Traditional remakes of gen 4
2021: Let's Go Johto

This is of course assuming that the Let's Go titles don't underperform (although this is unlikely).

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
It's not because someone says a game looks dumb, watered down or unambitious that it means they're badmouthing you for wanting to play it. It's your right to play it and no one's gonna insult you for this.
People just get annoyed because Gamefreak is handling a multi million franchise that fails to evolve at a sufficient pace on some departments.

mhm. there's space for both enthusiasm and criticism in these threads. fans should take care to avoid internalizing frustrations with a developer as personals attacks.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I look forward to both titles as well for very different reasons. Similarly I also will continue to play multiple smash bros games simultaneously despite people relentlessly telling me otherwise.
Ill also keep watching Sun and Moons anime, despite so many of the same Pokemon fans trying to tell everyone how "bad" the new designs are.
Sorry, I meant I can't wait to look forward to them.

I'll go edit that now.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No core game has had a Hard Mode unlocked after beating the game.

Black and White 2 isn't a core game, it's a spin off.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
The amount of denial in this thread is amazing.

If the developers that are making the fucking game say it's a mainline title then it's a mainline title.

Period.
If Konami said that Metal Gear Survive was a mainline Metal Gear game, would there be no possible argument against that?

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Konami said that Metal Gear Survive was a mainline Metal Gear game, would there be no possible argument against that?
If there had been a consistent effort to have core MGS games named "metal gear solid", and it's been officially addressed as such over years, and then MGSurvive had been called Metal Gear Solid: Survive, then yes. But none of those things have happened (because Konami created the game as a spin off) so it's a ridiculous false equivalent.

I'll go one step further than the other poster. The amount of denial in this thread is embarassing. I'd be embarrassed to be a pokefan at this point.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

Story driven single player cinematic focused MGS vs multiplayer base defense game that Kojima had no part in? They're not even the same genre.
Outside of the GO stuff these games seem to play almost identically to the usual Pokemon formula beat for beat.

Zelda LBW changed up the formula much harder and wasnt on consoles but its still a core Zelda game.

Deleted member 8674

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

If the game is similar to all the previous games then that's fine.

If the series is known for changing the style and gameplay like RE that's also fine.. see RE7.

If it's the same formula for years then suddenly a game that remove core mechanics we had from the first game in the series years ago then for obvious marketing reasons call it "core" then no it's not core.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll go one step further than the other poster. The amount of denial in this thread is embarassing. I'd be embarrassed to be a pokefan at this point.
Really, this is it.
As a fan of Pokemon for all my life- really, it's been so long that I don't remember a time when Pokemon wasn't a part of my life in a major capacity- the reaction to LGPE has been so embarrassing and pathetic, I feel ashamed to consider myself a part of the same group.

Apa504

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
First labo and now Pokemon lets go. It appears that some users like to make failure narratives about the things they dont like, its so weird.

And the most baffling thing is that we know a game more "core" is on the way.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Really, this is it.
As a fan of Pokemon for all my life- really, it's been so long that I don't remember a time when Pokemon wasn't a part of my life in a major capacity- the reaction to LGPE has been so embarrassing and pathetic, I feel ashamed to consider myself a part of the same group.
Entitled Pokemon fans are really the worst. Can't believe there's such a hissy fit when there's another game more to their taste coming out next year.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
Really, this is it.

Vocal minority who are upset with Baby's 1st Pokemon will end up buying it anyway.

Don't be ashamed. I understand how both sides feel.

Mandikiri

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
Boston, MA.
Let's Go is not part of the mainline games no matter how much people (and I'm including Game Freak and TPC in this) want to pretend it is. As an actual mainline game, Let's Go would be a notable regression in a wide variety of aspects. At best it's an attempt to branch off a more casual-focused spin-off series.

You're kidding right? Do you own Pokemon? Do you work for GameFreak? If the answer for those two questions are No. Then deal with the fact that the developers just called the Let's Go series a core game.

Selphie

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
A Pokémon game that only has 1 out of 7 generations of Pokémon isn't a core game imo, so unless you can transfer other Pokémon to it I won't see it as such.

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"Resident Evil 4 is clearly a spin-off; it's a third-person action game that removed all the puzzle solving, horror, fixed cameras, pre-rendered backgrounds, monsters from previous entries, changed how combat worked, and with barely any connections to the storyline that was established in previous games."

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
If there had been a consistent effort to have core MGS games named "metal gear solid", and it's been officially addressed as such over years, and then MGSurvive had been called Metal Gear Solid: Survive, then yes. But none of those things have happened (because Konami created the game as a spin off) so it's a ridiculous false equivalent.

Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 are mainline entries in the Metal Gear series.

Story driven single player cinematic focused MGS vs multiplayer base defense game that Kojima had no part in? They're not even the same genre.
Outside of the GO stuff these games seem to play almost identically to the usual Pokemon formula beat for beat.

Zelda LBW changed up the formula much harder and wasnt on consoles but its still a core Zelda game.
Yes, outside core mechanics (which will be included in the upcoming traditional Pokemon game) they have similarities, but I think plenty of people, myself included, consider the core mechanics to be important.

There is a new naming convention because this is a new direction for the series, and the traditional/mainline/core game will be out in 2019.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
You're kidding right? Do you own Pokemon? Do you work for GameFreak? If the answer for those two questions are No. Then deal with the fact that the developers just called the Let's Go series a core game.
If a statement from a developer clearly disregards reality, then I have no qualms with ignoring it. For the same reason, I'd dismiss the whole "Smash Wii U is Smash 5" thing out of hand even if it wasn't sort of dubious that that was what the statement from Sakurai actually meant.

Mandikiri

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
Boston, MA.
R/B/Y did not have 1 out of 7 generations. It had 1 out of 1 generations. The entire selection of pokemon at the time.

You're forgetting the part how this game is a remake of Yellow. So it should only have one generation of Pokemon.

But his logic is this game can't be a core game because it only has 1 out of 7 generations. Whilst forgetting the part this is a remake from Yellow aka generation 1.

Mandikiri

Banned
Apr 21, 2018
Boston, MA.
If a statement from a developer clearly disregards reality, then I have no qualms with ignoring it. For the same reason, I'd dismiss the whole "Smash Wii U is Smash 5" thing out of hand even if it wasn't sort of dubious that that was what the statement from Sakurai actually meant.

So you're going to live in denial even after the fact is shown in your face? Serious question.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 are mainline entries in the Metal Gear series.

Yes, outside core mechanics (which will be included in the upcoming traditional Pokemon game) they have similarities, but I think plenty of people, myself included, consider the core mechanics to be important.

There is a new naming convention because this is a new direction for the series, and the traditional/mainline/core game will be out in 2019.
Re: MG1 & 2 I don't know what point you're trying to make here. Those examples further back up my point. It's a totally nonsensical equivalent.

FireRed and LeafGreen was also a new naming convention, does that make them non core games?

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
You're forgetting the part how this game is a remake of Yellow. So it should only have one generation of Pokemon.
Pokémon has a pretty established remake formula for mainline games at this point. They always include all the current Pokémon, and sometimes even introduce new forms from Pokémon not of the same generation.