• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I guess the 64 GB option isn't a bad idea now. Or if nothing else, at least you can easily upgrade it later once DirectStorage becomes more common in games.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't the initial news that the Internal Storage wasn't upgradeable?

I assume this means though that you're free to tear it open yourself and put one in anyway then.

Which uh, wouldn't that mean it's effectively upgradeable? Or is the semantic difference here that you have to tear the thing open to do so rather than it being a neat plug-and-play slot like the SD Card is and the SSD slots on the XSX/PS5 are?

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
It might save you some money in the end, but it will certainly kill your warranty, right? And we don't know how easy it will be to replace the drive.

OP
OP
AshenOne

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Is this email confirmed to be 100% authentic?
Gabe newell does reply to a lot of email queries by normal peeps usually like this one for example where a user asks Gabe if the SSD in the STEAM Deck will be replacable on the r/STEAM subreddit:

But the validity isn't 100% confirmed which is why i've posted it as a rumor but it is lashman so i think its worth posting.

Koeta

Dec 12, 2017
hope this turns out to be true, it's why I went for the cheap one lol, banking on installing my own m.2.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
If they all have the m.2 slot, I guess going for the cheapest model was the play. Not saying they didn't say anything to get more pre orders on the more expensive models, but it makes sense.

GlowingBovine

Prophet of Truth
Nov 27, 2017
I wonder if the higher storage models have any eMMC storage on it then. Curious if the boards are being manufactured differently.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
VEnLMQT.png

For reference. Gabe's saying it has a 2230 slot, so same size as the Series S/X

They only exist right now in 512GB max sizes at the moment (off the shelf). For like $300 or something.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna wait to see how the tear downs go before dipping, but this would make the lowest end model far more appealing

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Wasn't the initial news that the Internal Storage wasn't upgradeable?

I assume this means though that you're free to tear it open yourself and put one in anyway then.

Which uh, wouldn't that mean it's effectively upgradeable? Or is the semantic difference here that you have to tear the thing open to do so rather than it being a neat plug-and-play slot like the SD Card is and the SSD slots on the XSX/PS5 are?
I think the is important, the distinction between slot upgrade vs. physical disasembly. Opening it might also void warranty, for what that's worth. But if this is affectively a PC, you know people will tinker with the hardware.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
It uses a 2230 M.2 drive, which is significantly smaller than typical consumer drives (2280).
m2-ssd-2230-2242-2260jsjzt.png

You will not be able to drop in any M.2 drive, and it may not be easy to do this without damaging the system.
It will almost certainly void the warranty.

It's good that it is technically replaceable/upgradable, but I wouldn't make a purchasing decision based on the idea of upgrading it.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
lol if that's true I kinda regret preordering the 256 GB model then. :/

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Not bad. It makes sense, they don't need to have different motherboards this way, they just don't include the SSD.

cHinzo

Oct 27, 2017
Yo, this changes everything…

I should have pre-ordered the cheapest one. 🤔 I thought they said u couldn't replace the storage. I've been whining about it since they revealed the Deck.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
Great news if true.

FWIW this size is uncommon (but not rare) in ultrabooks, if you really want a 512gb one it wouldn't be hard to grab one on ebay or something.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
The issue is 2230 M.2 are scarce, you can get the 64GB model now but there's no guarantee you'll be able to get a drive when it launches and that you won't be paying a lot for it. Unless you buy one now in advance, but then we don't know how the installation works and how hard it'll be and how much of a hassle it'd be to clone the drive with the OS. Or whether you can have both the 64GB eMMC and M.2 drive in there at the same time (this will be great).

VEnLMQT.png

They only exist right now in 512GB max sizes at the moment (off the shelf). For like $300 or something.
Well there's a 1TB model in UK Amazon

kpjolee

Oct 25, 2017
512GB M.2 2230 + base model is already approaching the price of the 512GB model and 512GB model has the anti-glare coating.
So I wouldn't really bother with base model if I were to upgrade to bigger size SSD right away from the base model. Price difference isn't worth the hassle.

Green

Oct 27, 2017

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
512GB M.2 2230 + base model is already approaching the price of the 512GB model and 512GB model has the anti-glare coating.
So I wouldn't really bother with base model if I were to upgrade to bigger size SSD right away from the base model. Price difference isn't worth the hassle.

Basically this... As is a 2230 it's not a slam dunk as it would be for 2280

And plus anti glare... I'm sticking with my 512gb pre order..

Fire Bocchi

Oct 25, 2017
Wut...

Well shit....that 64GB model just got very interesting.
from what others said here, your options for a compatible drive is limited since its not the full sized m2 drive but a smaller form thats more expensive and not as much options for them exist

you are likely not to save much if any to upgrade yourself compared to just buying the higher storage options
*edit: actually maybe you would save some, but still, until we know how easily you can do so without damaging the deck in the process, its not a great reason to buy the 64GB model

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
The issue is 2230 M.2 are scarce, you can get the 64GB model now but there's no guarantee you'll be able to get a drive when it launches and that you won't be paying a lot for it. Unless you buy one now in advance, but then we don't know how the installation works and how hard it'll be and how much of a hassle it'd be to clone the drive with the OS. Or whether you can have both the 64GB eMMC and M.2 drive in there at the same time (this will be great).

Well there's a 1TB model in UK Amazon

Right, I'm seeing 1TB models for around $150. ...

VEnLMQT.png

Are we talking about PCIe Gen 4? Because not even the Steam Deck comes with that.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Oh wtf... After I preorder the big boy

edit: ok I see what people are saying about the form factor. I guess we'll see.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Hence why Xbox Series expansion is so expensive at the moment. It's still such a new type of drive that the costs haven't gone down.
This is not new, it's like 8 years old now.
The external drive series X uses is not M.2
venturebeat.com

Xbox Series X Seagate Expansion Card teardown

The Xbox Series X Seagate Expansion Card adds 1TB of storage for $220. But what's inside it to justify that price, come find out.

Last edited:

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I want official confirmation, but if it's there and it's relatively easily accessible, that's awesome.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Well it's depend on region ofc.
In UK it's not as easily available atm.
Yeah, of course.

I'm starting to see what ppl mean, its not alot of options for 2230. But I see one at Newegg for 512GB for $139.

www.newegg.com

KBG20ZMS512G - For Toshiba - 512GB SSD Hard Drive M.2 PCIe 2230 - Newegg.com

Buy KBG20ZMS512G - For Toshiba - 512GB SSD Hard Drive M.2 PCIe 2230 with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

Cant tell the specific specs, but I assume its PCIe Gen 3.

Yep, that is what i thought.
Surely you have to screw that thing open and have to care about those thermal pads.

But it is good to know that there is no on-board solution.
Well if its that then no thanks, lol.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Wonder if Gabe confused the m.2 SSD w/ the SD slot. He's a busy man I'm sure, maybe thought he saw one question, and it was actually the other.

It wouldn't surprise me either way tho, from a production it's easier to just make matching boards for all 3 systems and then just not put in a drive on the low end model.