• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
It makes sense they wouldn't have more than 1 motherboard for the Steam Deck so they can build the versions they need with the same motherboards. I'm guessing it's not designed to be easily user replaceable like how many laptops have a slot you can open up to add RAM and an M2 drive.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, whoever gets one, first thing to do is open it up and see if its easy to replace....

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
I don't understand, all the examples given here are 200 bucks so how much are you really saving of you go for the 64GB option? If it's just 50 bucks i then think it's not that big of a deal right?

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still going for the top end version just so I don't have to mess with it.

MMC doesn't have great write endurance

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if Gabe confused the m.2 SSD w/ the SD slot. He's a busy man I'm sure, maybe thought he saw one question, and it was actually the other.

It wouldn't surprise me either way tho, from a production it's easier to just make matching boards for all 3 systems and then just not put in a drive on the low end model.

Gabe is also the source for the form factor of the M.2 slot (the reason this person sent their email is because Gabe responded to a previous email asking about the NVMe SSD), so I highly doubt he's confusing it with the SD card slot.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if Gabe confused the m.2 SSD w/ the SD slot. He's a busy man I'm sure, maybe thought he saw one question, and it was actually the other.

It wouldn't surprise me either way tho, from a production it's easier to just make matching boards for all 3 systems and then just not put in a drive on the low end model.
He wouldn't specify 2230 if he was confused.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
512GB version might be the way to go. Hopefully there'll be stock when I go to the US next year.

Nov 28, 2017
This is a bit confusing. Their staff said that the internal storage can't be upgraded nor did they mention anywhere than there's an M.2 slot, let alone a 2230 form factor. Expandable storage is only via micro SD, according to them, which was kinda suspicious since the I/O for modern (and upcoming) games would suffer a lot in that instance.

If this source is true (Gabe does respond to a lot of fan mails) and we end up getting the top end SKU with 512GB of storage, does that mean it will come with an on board 64GB eMMC + the 512GB NVME or just the 512GB of NVME, with the M.2 slot taken?

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
In the comments of that same Reddit thread there's another interesting bit related to this:

Qj1qa8V.png

Apparently, Plagman is the bald guy in some of the Deck videos.

Gr8one

Oct 25, 2017
In the comments of that same Reddit thread there's another interesting bit related to this:

Qj1qa8V.png

This is what I was thinking when they said it "was not user replaceable". I kinda assumed they meant the NVMe drive is not soldered to the PCB but it's going to void the warranty when you open it up and if you don't know what you are doing, and you fuck up you are SOL. I am looking forward to the tear downs to see how much of a pain in the ass it's going to be to get at.

This is good news for people that like to tinker and want to upgrade or replace the drive in the future.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Qj1qa8V.png

Easy then, buy the cheapest version, boot it up and check if everything's good and nice, no dead pixels and whatnot, then crack it open lol. At least that's what I'll do.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
VEnLMQT.png

For reference. Gabe's saying it has a 2230 slot, so same size as the Series S/X

They only exist right now in 512GB max sizes at the moment (off the shelf). For like $300 or something.

Interesting because the Xbox is 1TB for $200, so Im assuming its different then? Edit: Missed the off the shelf part right.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Easy then, buy the cheapest version, boot it up and check if everything's good and nice, no dead pixels and whatnot, then crack it open lol. At least that's what I'll do.
Opening up something and removing the thermal shielding and emi, and then putting it back together without fucking anything up is not the easiest of things If you have the technical know how? sure do it, but i wouldnt recommend it b

Still, I would wait until tech Jesus does his tear away of the handheld to see if it is really possible.

Koeta

Dec 12, 2017
Opening up something and removing the thermal shielding and emi, and then putting it back together without fucking anything up is not the easiest of things If you have the technical know how? sure do it, but i wouldnt recommend it b

Still, I would wait until tech Jesus does his tear away of the handheld to see if it is really possible.
what is the EMI and thermal Shielding? never had to mess with that myself as far as I know lol, is it like the switch teardown?
nCZImAf.png

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
what is the EMI and thermal Shielding? never had to mess with that myself as far as I know lol, is it like the switch teardown?
nCZImAf.png
EMI is a kind of electromagnetic insultaion to avoid noise from other parts of the components affecting others. Thermal Shielding is a way to move heat from hot parts to the fan / act as a heat sink.
You have to think that this will likely run hotter than Switch (as it uses much more wattage).

NVME

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
nCZImAf.png

It's usually all the tape you see plastered everywhere on electronics

I'd imagine the disassembly would be very similar to something like the GPD Win 3 or the aya neo

Unscrew everything, stuff around with the clips holding the shell in place, damage the shell in the process and hopefully the M2 slot would be on the back of the board.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
$399 + $300 off the shelf 512gb card.

If this is true, the 64GB base model is good if you plan to upgrade your memory after 1+ year donw the line and want to keep the initial price down. Else if you want to fully utilize the full storage, make sense to get the Pro model.

Still is good news since it means there is always an option available.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Means that you probably have to take some internal parts out before being able to replace, but I'm glad is confirmed.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
I'll be pretty mad if this is the case and they didn't tell us before opening pre-orders.

Yeah this is giving me some buyers remorse over ordering the 256GB model. I couldn't risk not having the option of NVME storage but the real play is the base model + 1tb NVME upgrade which I would have been fully prepared to do.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Not cool to drop this kinda news after the initial preorders. Would have gone with the 64gb version.

Fire Bocchi

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this is giving me some buyers remorse over ordering the 256GB model. I couldn't risk not having the option of NVME storage but the real play is the base model + 1tb NVME upgrade which I would have been fully prepared to do.
yeah, the thread title is a bit misleading, it has the slot, but it is 100% not designed to be something that can be installed by the end user,

Fire Bocchi

Oct 25, 2017
Not cool to drop this kinda news after the initial preorders. Would have gone with the 64gb version.
it has the slot but you're not gonna be able to just pop in a m2 drive like its a sd card, you will have to take the entire thing apart to do so from an earlier post, and who knows if you can actually do that without damaging something

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
It's best to wait till somebody gets their hand on the 64gb version and disassemble it to find out. It's not wise to buy based on somebody words even if it's Gabe.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
it has the slot but you're not gonna be able to just pop in a m2 drive like its a sd card, you will have to take the entire thing apart to do so from an earlier post, and who knows if you can actually do that without damaging something
True but in the end it's a portable PC and they should just be upfront if it's possible or not even if takes some extra work and might not be feasible for more casual users.

Just don't like having diffrent answers for the same questions prior to the orders opening up.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
The M.2 slot in the cheap device could be SATA, so still not necessarily a great choice for people who want to upgrade later.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
That's pretty cool. Next they'll say the RAM is upgradable too? XD

Hopefully it's not that hard to access tho!

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
Is the Series X expandable storage SSD from Seagate also an M2 form factor when teared apart? Or is that just the Series X|S internal drive?

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You're right, even though I'm used to this stuff I'll still be waiting to see a teardown first. Not going into this blind.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I really wouldn't consider buying the cheapest model just to add an SSD later on unless you're confident that you can do the disassembly and reassembly without breaking something.

Ganondolf

Jan 5, 2018
im going to wait for a teardown. if there is a m.2 slot then i will get the lowest model and upgrade. I assume if you remove the ssd you would lose the OS etc which would mean you would need the OS image (or windows OS) on a sd card like if you build a new PC.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I don't understand, all the examples given here are 200 bucks so how much are you really saving of you go for the 64GB option? If it's just 50 bucks i then think it's not that big of a deal right?
You can buy a Western Digital SN530 1TB for about 180 from ebay/aliexpress. By the time we start receiving these, it might be even cheaper. Given the cheapest model is 420 euros, you'd be saving at least 80 euros for double the storage, not accounting for the anti-glare coating. It is very significant.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
Surely it makes sense as it's probably cheaper to make one board rather than 3 of them.

strudelkuchen

Oct 25, 2017
You can buy a Western Digital SN530 1TB for about 180 from ebay/aliexpress. By the time we start receiving these, it might be even cheaper. Given the cheapest model is 420 euros, you'd be saving at least 80 euros for double the storage, not accounting for the anti-glare coating. It is very significant.
Then you also void your warranty and potentially break something, doesn't seem worth the risk.