• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Wonder how many of those attending are speculators planning to profit from their purchases to feed even larger whales.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
They don't give a fuck at this point. No consideration for optics. Just give us your money and don't bother asking when the game is coming out we'll release it whenever the fuck we feel like it.

Feb 26, 2018
I dont understand what the point in getting all those ships from the start. Like you are just bypassing the crucial part of the game

Deleted member 6573

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tickets were up for about 45 seconds for each wave before being sold out.

ECw4a6WWwAAGayE

ECw4a6aXYAAFz8E

Did anyone from ERA attend? Was it at least comparable to Blizzcon style events? Given SC has an accurate to-scale universe, how will minefields function when approach points and distances are near infinite? Are they purely for laying around space stations? Is an 8 person ship with a passive defense system viable in a game which currently has 50-player servers?

This is honestly starting to sound like the Church of Scientology.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
Not an issue at all. In an age of GaaS they can release in an early access state sometime early next gen, for consoles as well as PC, and continue to fund the development this way for the entire generation =/

It is cringe inducing to see them target whales like this. But it's also cringe inducing to see so many people on Era pretend the game is going nowhere, or is a pyramid scheme, or a scam etc. The game has already achieved incredible progress, and employs hundreds of developers. It will clearly release given the money that so many supporters are happy to put into it. Be upset about the funding model all you want (I know I am, but I backed £30 during the kickstarter and stopped there, happy to wait for release), but don't pretend the development isn't going well.

But it ain't going well.

CIG has missed deadline after deadline that they themselves have set.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
At this point Star Citizen will have been in development for longer than an entire console generation, Hideo Kojima will have released two games including having to spin up an entirely new studio for one of them, two Presidential terms will have passed, the Avengers crossover franchise part of the MCU has both started and finished, the iPhone has gone from the big change being "it's taller now" to having an intricate camera scanning system in a chunk of bezel and gestures replacing the idea of a button, Grumpy Cat was born and has died...

... and it's still not a real game.

Holy shit lol
God, this really does put it all into perspective.

Some more: Fire Emblem went from near-cancellation to one of Nintendo's biggest franchises
Nintendo went from a historic high to a massive slump to another high
Xbox went from Mattrick trying to push the Kinect to Spencer burying it
Fortnite had only barely started development, went through notorious development hell, came out, bombed, then made a comeback

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2018
HylianSeven you can already play SC, so saying it's a scam is really dumb. People do also forget that they are developing 2 games and not only Star Citizen. It was between Elite or SC for me back then, but looking back at it, i made the right choice. Can't see having more fun with Elite then SC even at the stage SC is now. I do really hope more gameplay mechanics come online soon with the first real multicrew gameplay experience.

Star Citizen is about 1% complete in regards to what they said would be in the game. There are delays everywhere and goals they said was reached in kickstarter and afterwards would be in game will never be. They gathered more money than all other video games kickstarted combined and yet they are nowhere near a finished product after several years from their initial promise to their backers.

You my friend and your 1000$+ invested palls might look at it like everything is fine but believe me everyone else can see it really is not.

A 200 million budget and after several years of development the state of the game alpha or whatever you want to call it is not exactly breathtaking and they still need to resort to inviting the people who spend the most on the game to spend money to go to a place to spend money on a extremely expensive dinner just to be asked to spend money on a 675$ ship that is not even in the game.

That my friend is a scam.

May 1, 2018
I really wanted to play this game at one point. The concept is certainly appealing. But, then you hear about things like this. The mismanagement of all the money they've been given. They keep selling dreams and not delivering. They've missed SO MANY deadlines by this point it's hard to understand how anyone is still buying in. It's extremely disappointing that this is the news we get about a video game instead of it actually delivering on all the things it keeps selling.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
You would think this project would generate the ultimate outrage along with a Jim Sterling video but so far it seems like the masses don't care.

The Cameo

Apr 26, 2018
You would this project would generate the ultimate outrage along with a Jim Sterling video but so far it seems like the masses don't care.

I could see this dinner being the thing that finally makes Sterling go "okay, what in the fuck" and do a video about how obviously this is the business version of Roberts tying a bit of fishing wire to an X-wing with the Star Wars bits filed off, climbing into a limo and driving away while space sim fans chase frenetically after the spaceship, honestly

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019

Thanks for that :)
Well, i am not jealous one bit looking at the menu.
You cannot even end your dinner with a XO special or XO supreme cognac... i mean... i am not asking for a Louis XIII, but they could have a Martell...

It's all about the company you have at the table and the worth of the cause at Gala dinners anyway, not really the food...

Captain_Raoul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Star Citizen is about 1% complete in regards to what they said would be in the game. There are delays everywhere and goals they said was reached in kickstarter and afterwards would be in game will never be. They gathered more money than all other video games kickstarted combined and yet they are nowhere near a finished product after several years from their initial promise to their backers.

You my friend and your 1000$+ invested palls might look at it like everything is fine but believe me everyone else can see it really is not.

A 200 million budget and after several years of development the state of the game alpha or whatever you want to call it is not exactly breathtaking and they still need to resort to inviting the people who spend the most on the game to spend money to go to a place to spend money on a extremely expensive dinner just to be asked to spend money on a 675$ ship that is not even in the game.

That my friend is a scam.

You do know that games are in alpha for almost their entire development. Beta is just a short time where the game is content complete, where polishing is the last phase. Star Citizen and Squadron 42 went in full production in 2014. You can't really compare them with already established studios, since they build 5 studios in a short time. Jup i invested already around 6K, and i'm not planning for 10K or something like others, but i have no regret. My focus is not getting more ships ingame but do explore with my Org, making money and build an base on a planet or moon. Trading, hauling, scouting, deep space exploration, fighting, building, reclaiming etc. A lot of things i want to do and some of them are already ingame.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Remember when people made fun of paying for horse armour? Now we have the absurdity of $675 ships that require a $275 entry fee to get first.
tumblr_o04inpn97H1qa32meo2_540.gif
It's worse than that. To be concierge, you need to have previously spent... $1000, I think, to be eligible.

Concierge is a special 'status' for high spenders within the Star Citizen community, giving them exclusive access both in- and out- of the game. There's a good youtube series that covers it and more. Can't remember which part dives into concierge specifically, though.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still a backer but I'm actually in the black. This shit is out of control and I have little hope of an actual finished game being released.

The thing that amazes me is that EA has seen this happening but hasn't announced an honest to god Star Wars space sim. With the right developers, it would print money. (EA would mess it up, obviously)
Seriously. Imagine this business model but with Star Wars. EA could keep it going for decades without ever having to finish a game.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Clearly Star Citizen isn't a scam considering all the content updates, constant updates on the game's development & all, but this monetizing practice is fucking ridiculous & gross nevertheless.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
This has to be some kind of money laundering operation right?

This game is bonkers

Waaghals

Oct 27, 2017
You do know that games are in alpha for almost their entire development. Beta is just a short time where the game is content complete, where polishing is the last phase. Star Citizen and Squadron 42 went in full production in 2014. You can't really compare them with already established studios, since they build 5 studios in a short time. Jup i invested already around 6K, and i'm not planning for 10K or something like others, but i have no regret. My focus is not getting more ships ingame but do explore with my Org, making money and build an base on a planet or moon. Trading, hauling, scouting, deep space exploration, fighting, building, reclaiming etc. A lot of things i want to do and some of them are already ingame.

2014 is FIVE years ago. That should be long enough to get even an ambitious game out the door. The talking point that the game didn`t fully start production well after it was announced no longer have any value, because it is sufficiently long ago for the game to be completed anyway.

I would like to add that 2014 was the game`s original suggested release date (if Wikipedia is to believed). It seems strange to promise a release date and then not start development until that very same years, even after having shown tech demos.

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I get this odd feeling that the questions in the OP weren't meant to be answered and the responses gotten were exactly what was expected...

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
2014 is FIVE years ago. That should be long enough to get even an ambitious game out the door. The talking point that the game didn`t fully start production well after it was announced no longer have any value, because it is sufficiently long ago for the game to be completed anyway.

I would like to add that 2014 was the game`s original suggested release date (if Wikipedia is to believed). It seems strange to promise a release date and then not start development until that very same years, even after having shown tech demos.
SC's long-ass development cycle might be a little more forgivable if it was at least close to being finished, but they haven't so much as come up with an actual gameplay loop.

You would think this project would generate the ultimate outrage along with a Jim Sterling video but so far it seems like the masses don't care.
There's been plenty of Star Citizen outrage, it's basically just spread out over the course of like, ten years.

Dec 8, 2018

Do you think every game goes into full production day one? This is not something unique to star citizen but every game have a smaller team in the beginning and then at the mid-end goes into full production so don't even try to pull that shit.

Difference is most other games don't have a 250 million budget and still feel the need to milk their whales to more empty promises and any sane publisher would have fired the guy in charge of this mess ten times over at this point the problem here being there is no one to fire Chris because he himself would have to do it.

And this alpha is nowhere near a beta. It's a fraction of the game that runs like a turd especially when people are around and this is supposed to be an mmo.

But sure I can't tell you that you have not got 6k worth of it already I mean some people likes to get a fat person to sit on them and pays a lot for it but for me and I bet the majority of us here on earth both sound like a bad investment.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
It's worse than that. To be concierge, you need to have previously spent... $1000, I think, to be eligible.

Concierge is a special 'status' for high spenders within the Star Citizen community, giving them exclusive access both in- and out- of the game. There's a good youtube series that covers it and more. Can't remember which part dives into concierge specifically, though.

If that doesn't sound cult-like I just don't know. Like one of those crazy ranks in scientology.
The truth will be revealed once you've spend $50.000

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017

To be fair, as shitty as this funding model is, they are developing not one but two games and both are pretty much on the higher echelon of video games in terms of what they are trying to achieve technically & visually. Especially the (online) space sim part is probably one of the most ambitious singular game projects ever to exist, considering what they are trying to achieve. It's a really not all that unreasonable that it has taken 5 years so far. Much like Red Dead Redemption 2 took forever (and that's with, like, 1000+ developers at R*, someone mentioned Star Citizen is "only" 500). The original date was maybe for 2014 but with super successful Kickstarters, that leads to expanding on the scope & quality of the project, so we are still within somewhat reasonable timeframe for a project as massive as this.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Honest question:

I haven't followed this game very closely. I know I've read a lot of posts saying that the game is "a scam" and all that, but is that really true or is it a bunch of jokes? What are the odds that this game is actually a scam? What, exactly, makes it seem like a scam?

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Jim Sterling has said before that he's aware of the stuff that goes on with SC, but he said really doesn't know enough about it to cover it so he doesn't.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
No one is asking the important questions. Was the food tasty? Was it an open bar? A fondue fountain?

Status
Not open for further replies.