• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Alternative Title: Is Cal less interesting a character for not being a PoC or Woman or some other type of minority?

After much anticipation, the new Star Wars game is out, following closely on the heels of the latest Star Wars movie trailer, and we have now entered into the hellscape of Star Wars internet debates.

Yt6fJ9v.png

This latest incarnation is in the form of the reveal of the Jedi: Fallen Order's protagonist, Cal. Following the reveal, one of the common criticisms was that he was yet another white dude protagonist in a franchise that has seen their full share of white dudes as leading roles. The implication of this argument being that, with everything else being the same, Cal had been a black man or woman or some other kind of minority, he would have been more interesting.

I wish to explore if this holds up.

First, lets get the obvious out of the way:

THIS IS NOT REALLY ABOUT HOW WELL WRITTEN THE CHARACTER IS, BUT HOW INTERESTING HIS PREMISE: One common mischaracterization about these arguments, particularly among alt-right thinkgroups, is that traits of a characters ethnicity or gender are valued over actual quality writing. There is a discussion to be had there, and we will get to it momentarily, but one thing I wish to emphasize first and foremost is that the discussion is not about the quality of writing in Jedi: Fallen Order. We don't know how well written J:FO is because it's not out yet. All we actually know about it is that Cal is living in hiding and the story will be one where he has to come out of hiding and be a hero. That's not so much a story as it is an elevator pitch for a story. As such, we're not really judging how well written this is or even has the potential to be, we're judging it as what it truly is - a marketing pitch to us, the consumers.

As a result, we can split what this is actually about into 2 different question that seem similar, but are different

1. Is the premise of this particular story pitch more made more or less interesting depending on how the protagonist is designed in regards to their gender/ethnicity/other minority signifiers

2. Is the premise of this particular story pitch more made more or less important depending on how the protagonist is designed in regards to their gender/ethnicity/other minority signifiers

So lets begin with the story premise itself: Imagine if Obiwan had been a padawan when he went in hiding and lived amongst people instead of in the desert and when he came out of hiding, he was the hero of the story instead of the mentor of the hero. It is, from what the marketting tells us, a archtypical story where a person who feels they have to hide their identity will reveal their identity to potentially hostile forces, but (presumably) overcome this hostility and save the day. It's pretty standard stuff and provides perfectly fine opportunities for growth and drama.

So, to explore the first question: would a minority character is better served within this framework?

Well, if we were talking about an absolute vacuum where we, as the audience, have no history or connection with any minority catergory, then it's not unreasonable to say that perhaps there isn't. This is the "I don't see race" type of response where there are no greater implications from having a woman or PoC as the hero of a story. And I would agree that, in certain contexts, that can be a legitimate position to an extent. For example, in Star Wars, we're not sure that humans in the series even came from earth, so it's possible that humans in star wars are as alien as any other, they just happen to be identical to us, the audience, and it's made that way so that the story is relatable and understandable from an earth human perspective. It's not realistic, but it's clear why they'd use this as a narrative device. However, my point here is, as far as we know, black human beings were never enslaved in the Star Wars human homeworld, so we can have a black character whose depiction is, in theory, not affected by the generations of racism that have shaped the culture we live today. And I think that is good. Works like Black Panther that acknowledge and use racism in our history for it's narrative themes are good and important too, but it's also an escapist fantasy to have a universe where that horrid shit just didn't happen.

However, even if the star wars universe exists in a vacuum (in theory. In practice, I know it's more complicated), we, the real life people, do not, and when we create a window into the SW universe, our values still influence the story we see. Meaning, if Star Wars truly didn't see race, and our viewing of it was true to that, we should have an equal number of black protagonists as we do white. We don't. So, back to the premise of the story, we are shown that stormtroopers are authority figures who will kill the protagonist if given justification. The premise is fundamentally about oppression, which is a universal concept. Everyone has felt oppressed at some point and a white man can relate to living in a society where he is distrustful of authorities as well as anyone. However, no one could reasonably argue that the average black man will relate to that particular theme more viscerally than the average white man.

And if that's true, would it be more reasonable to have a black protagonist take this role than a white man? Because even though Black people in star wars have never been canonically oppressed, black people in the real world have, and therefore a black protagonist would be an arguably greater representation of that oppression. That said, just to be clear, I am writing this from the assumption that the audience is not racist or is atleast vaguely aware that racial bias exists and would account for it. Because, of course, a black protagonists oppression will not be relatable to someone who has difficulty viewing black people as relatable human beings at all compared to a white protagonists.

I also want to be clear that I used black people as a main example for how a minority protagonist could have more narrative power just so I could work with some specificity, but other representational groups are obviously valid too. In fact, I would argue the theme of hiding your true self, but then being 'transformed' in the eyes of society through the course of a story could be best represented by a gay or transgender protagonist, who (unlike black people) can hide the identity that society seeks to oppress more easily, but have to reveal their true selves in order to self actualize in the story.

The second question is: Would having a minority character in the premise of this be more important if it had a non-white guy protagonist.

So, the previous second was about whether it had an affect on the interesting aspects of the story, this is about whether that makes it important. I personally think the answer to this one is a resounding yes, but I feel it's worth acknowledging in it's own section just because we tend to get bogged down in sheer details of what makes a story more effective.

My point is this: The consensus that the reveal of Jedi: Fallen Order is somewhat underwhelming from the thread. It's not that people think it's bad, it's just that it doesn't show us too much of stuff we haven't seen before. As a consumer, this is okay. Assuming Respawn made a good game, things will get more interesting as they reveal gameplay and as we learn more story details than the barebones of a premise we got for now. But at the moment, it's "Okay, another star wars game, cool"

Now imagine the response if, even if everything else was the same, the game had been revealed staring a black protagonist. For one, a big portion of Era would have been more receptive to it while a good portion of the audience in...other places would have been significantly less. Why? Well, because black people and people who care about representation want to see black people in starring roles more and the people on the opposite end also feel representation is important and feel threatened by it. That's why there is always such a big response from them when minorities get roles, but a "Yeah, whatever" response when it's another white guy, because then the status quo isn't being threatened. No one ever celebrates more white guy representation, not even the alt right. They just hate it when it's otherwise.

It's tempting to criticize this approach because it seems like political agenda are being pushed over getting an actually good art from the game developers. I want to emphasize that the game would ultimately live and die by how good it was on release. We actually know this to be true by how people have had a lackluster reaction to Finn in the ST, since he was marketed as being the next Jedi protagonist before TFA awakens came out and it was revealed it was Rey. It's not that people going to give Finn a pass if they don't actually like him, but more people wanted to like him. That's because, in actuality, it's more about people expressing what they want out of their art. The anticipation and desire for J: FO to be good would be greater and people would be more excited for it. That would be good for both the developers, who want their games to sell and for the audience, who want to see art that reflects their values.

So that's my take on it. And apologies in advance to the moderation team.

Stryder

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
US
Is this thread asking is it okay to ever say "someone is X because they look like Y" without knowing anything about them other than their race/gender?

Then I disagree. Generalizing is the basis of a racist's mentality.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I don't expect much from a STAR WAR main character i guess a white dude is a little bland

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, the thing that makes this guy generic in a Star Wars game isn't the fact that he's a white guy, it's the fact that he's human. With all the weirdo aliens and droids out there, you could easily make your game stand out more just by going for the next level in diversity.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
When I first saw the character at the start of the trailer, I was slightly bored by that alone, but not enough to not give it a chance. I wondered if it was a standard default created character and we could customize our own, but that wasn't the case. The rest of the trailer didn't interest me much. The guy didn't have much of a charm or character to him to win me over like Drake for example. The "Trust no one" line repeating was boring and uninteresting and I just put that on the character as well. Maybe future videos will make the character more interesting, or maybe the world will be made interesting instead, the gameplay being awesome would be nice.

Honestly, the thing that makes this guy generic in a Star Wars game isn't the fact that he's a white guy, it's the fact that he's human. With all the weirdo aliens and droids out there, you could easily make your game stand out more just by going for the next level in diversity.
Oh I would love to be a robot looking character like the one in Rogue One, or something. Can robots be Jedi? I'm a Star Wars noob.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Can we just wait? The game is like 8 months away. We have no way to know if he's an interesting character or not. The same was said for Arthur Morgan pre-release, and look how that turned out.

MangoUltz

Mar 24, 2019
White guys are the most common main characters across pop culture, so yeah they are now generic and a bit boring. But the writing for a minority/POC character has to be appropriate also. If you write a POC and how the world reacts to them the same you would a white guy, then you lose a lot of the impact they have. Representation matters, but their experience has to be representative also.

Butterworth

Alt account
Banned
Feb 5, 2019
I couldn't ever imagine being turned off a game because of the main characters skin colour. That's crazy to me

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I personally don't think the character is any less interesting because he's white. After all we have no idea what he will turn out like, what he'll go through.

I do think that games should offer a choice though, along the lines of AC Odyssey, but taken further.

Like I said in the other thread, an Ithorian would have made me that much more excited.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Facts

Respawn were given the entire Star Wars IP to work with and they settled on this. It's weak honestly, I really wanted to see a Wampa or a Bothan.

Neoriceisgood

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
After carefully examining the image of that Star Trek protagonist & reading your discussion I have come to the conclusion that the fingers on the bottom left have drawn far more of my attention than him.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
How many Star Wars protagonists share the look of this guy in the OP?
Alternatively how many Scifi protagonist?
Is the silhouette of the character even unique?
That may explain the apathy you're seeing.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
I think you're asking the wrong questions, frankly.

Why are PoC and queer people still minorities in SW fiction? What is it about the SW Universe where it's mostly straight cis white people? Making the protagonist another cis white dude reinforces the already-established notion that the SW universe's idea of diversity is a few token alien races, and that's just not very compelling science fiction.

It's related to questions about why Cyberpunk, a game in principle about transhumanism, seems to only feature people with a binary gender identity. When you take a subject as broad as transhumanism and limit it to "supersoldier tech" then that shines a bad light on your priorities.

Oct 27, 2017
Framing any piece of media as 'culture neutral' or 'in a vaccum' doesnt really work because our very culture shape said media. From the poor farmer in Luke, to the royalty in Padme.

The Empire are basically space nazis, for example. There was no nuance to their characterizations back then because most people agreed that nazis were unquestionably bad (go figure). Real world events reflected on their writing, so we could compare our own real world perspectives to what was happening on screen.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
I played a lot of games with white male protags, so I'm not excited when I see one in an upcoming Sci-Fi/Cyberpunk/futuristic game. It doesn't mean the character won't grab when I play through the story.

But like, it's Star Wars. There could have been a lot of different possibilities, but we end up with a white guy/human.

I loved him in Gotham, and I'm happy that he is getting more roles.

ShrtAttnGmr

Feb 7, 2019
Asked this in the other thread, but this looks like a more appropriate place for it. Is the representation argument primarily stemming from US citizens, or is this a global criticism of all media?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Frankly the design of this guy is just very bland, white or not. He does not stand out nor does he have any memorable or striking features. Although you could say the same about the entire trailer.

All I'm gonna say is that I laughed when people said "don't call him generic, what if the real actor reads your posts and cry?"
Sam Worthington must be a shambles every day of his life.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Complaints about representation are legitimate. Saying that a character is generic having only watched a 2 minute trailer is a stupid criticism to make.

Why are PoC and queer people still minorities in SW fiction? What is it about the SW Universe where it's mostly straight cis white people? Making the protagonist another cis white dude reinforces the already-established notion that the SW universe's idea of diversity is a few token alien races, and that's just not very compelling science fiction.
Most of those movies were made in the last century. Ever since Disney took over we've seen better representation overall.

Oct 27, 2017
When I first saw the character at the start of the trailer, I was slightly bored by that alone, but not enough to not give it a chance. I wondered if it was a standard default created character and we could customize our own, but that wasn't the case. The rest of the trailer didn't interest me much. The guy didn't have much of a charm or character to him to win me over like Drake for example. The "Trust no one" line repeating was boring and uninteresting and I just put that on the character as well. Maybe future videos will make the character more interesting, or maybe the world will be made interesting instead, the gameplay being awesome would be nice.

Oh I would love to be a robot looking character like the one in Rogue One, or something. Can robots be Jedi? I'm a Star Wars noob.
As far as we know in Canon ,no droid has any force abilities

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't ever imagine being turned off a game because of the main characters skin colour. That's crazy to me

That's where I'm at.

I want well-written characters in satisfying stories. If they made this new SW game 100% women and had a satisfying reason for it, I'd be down. Nobody will remember this character fondly if the game turns out to be terrible. Aloy was not the first female protagonist but she's celebrated because she's in a really satisfying game.

I get being annoyed with selecting a white dude as the lead, as that is the 'default' choice and it signals a lack of creativity in a way, but I'll wait for the game to come out before getting too worked up about it.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars isn't just white people, though. Everything from the new movies, comics and books are incredibly diverse. Anyone who would call Star Wars' current diversity "mostly straight white people" hasn't actually been following Star Wars. It's not 1977 in Star Wars anymore.

And they might be cis, I dunno, sexually and relationships aren't explored a lot in Star Wars as of right now.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
He at least looks a bit different from all the other samey dudes in games; he's got that Home Improvement / Boy Meets World era haircut which I don't think ever made a comeback, so that's kinda cool.

Anyways, while I'd love to see more people that look like me in games, I'm certainly not holding a grudge with every game that doesn't do that. Make whatever the fuck moves you.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I just think its lazy criticism

It assumes that this category of "Whiteness" and even the more narrow category "White Males" is universal for all those that fit under it. That the assumptions of the characters, there personalities etc. etc. are similar.

latest

W_ksAUV7.jpg

both Alex Mason and Niko Bellic would fall under those categories,in terms of society today. But it would be foolish to say that there the same character or that there actions are going to be the same, their personalities etc. and I wouldn't ever describe Niko's journey or path as "generic", not even Mason's.

I guess i have problem with universals, I just feel its bad critique

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
Asked this in the other thread, but this looks like a more appropriate place for it. Is the representation argument primarily stemming from US citizens, or is this a global criticism of all media?
A lot of other countries with white majorities have similar issues with their own media, so although a lot of the criticism is probably US-centric it's still largely applicable elsewhere.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
He at least looks a bit different from all the other samey dudes in games; he's got that Home Improvement / Boy Meets World era haircut which I don't think ever made a comeback, so that's kinda cool.

Anyways, while I'd love to see more people that look like me in games, I'm certainly not holding a grudge with every game that doesn't do that.
That dude is really rocking that Shawn Hunter huh lol.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
Complaints about representation are legitimate. Saying that a character is generic having only watched a 2 minute trailer is a stupid criticism to make.

Most of those movies were made in the last century. Ever since Disney took over we've seen better representation overall.
That's a fair point. But every SW movie still has a straight white protagonist, so they have a long way to go.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I think we should definitely make a push for more diversity, I even voted "yes" in that weird "obligation" poll from a few weeks ago, but I also think it's detrimental to dismiss an entire character this early based on looks alone. Express disappointment, sure, but outright saying you don't like a piece of media based on something so surface level? I don't really agree with that, but you do you.

Also with Star Wars it really is worth reiterating how many important diverse characters there are in recent works - Rey, Finn, Doctor Aphra, Ezra Bridger, Ahsoka Tano, Iden Versio, Jyn Erso... There have also been misteps (Thandie Newton deserved so much better, we need a POC in a full main movie role since I'd argue Finn shares it with Rey in TFA) but to act like the franchise hasn't been making a strong effort to diversify is ignoring a lot of progress. This one game having a white dude comes across as the anomaly, not the other way round.

I'd argue LGBT themes are a much more pressing matter for SW to tackle and they've only barely scratched the surface from what I've heard. It'd be awesome if Cal is gay or something, and that's another reason I think it's hasty to knock the decision this early. Characters are much more than what they are on the outside.

It's totally noncanon, and I think it always was, but Skippy the Jedi Droid is my favorite piece of Star Wars trivia

Last edited:

Huey

Oct 27, 2017

It's related to questions about why Cyberpunk, a game in principle about transhumanism, seems to only feature people with a binary gender identity. When you take a subject as broad as transhumanism and limit it to "supersoldier tech" then that shines a bad light on your priorities.

Well and even among the token alien races, Lucas has dabbled in problematic stereotyping of human races.

Modern Star Wars writers could learn a lot from Ian M. Banks' Culture series for great examples of diversity and representation in science fiction, particularly given that series began not long after new hope.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
It's not even that he's white that makes him seem super generic he just has no interesting character to his look or personality whatsoever from what they've shown so far. He basically has nothing that sets him apart at all so far and that makes him conceptually boring especially given the rich context of the Star Wars universe where there are so many potentially compelling characters with unique stories to explore.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
My thoughts are that white males are not inherently less interesting than more diverse characters but unless said white maleness is an integral part of the character there is absolutely no reason whatsoever not to make them more diverse.

Not having diversity is a conscious choice.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Even if they've toned it down fair bit and oddly styled his hair, don't exactly have a whole lot of redheaded guys in leading roles in media or games. Always women. So I appreciate that at least, though I wish it wasn't so toned down. But yeah for Star Wars with all the possibilities the setting offers a human guy isn't the most inspired, but who knows what his actual characterization will be like.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
A lot of other countries with white majorities have similar issues with their own media, so although a lot of the criticism is probably US-centric it's still largely applicable elsewhere.
i disagree.. US criticism tends to use categories of "white" and "black" broad racial categories, where as Europe would tend to focus on ethnicity or nationality

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think you're looking at this wrong if you think there should be a story reason for the protagonist to not be a cis white guy. A character being a different gender or ethnicity wouldn't make them a better character of course, but people aren't saying that. They're just saying they don't want to play a game as someone who looks like some generic white guy, and there doesn't need to be some story reason for the character to be that. Just like there doesn't need to be a story reason for the protagonist of this game to be a cis white guy.

Last edited:

Iva Demilcol

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iwatodai Dorm
I just think its lazy criticism

It assumes that this category of "Whiteness" and even the more narrow category "White Males" is universal for all those that fit under it. That the assumptions of the characters, there personalities etc. etc. are similar.

latest

W_ksAUV7.jpg

both Alex Mason and Niko Bellic would fall under those categories,in terms of society today. But it would be foolish to say that there the same character or that there actions are going to be the same, their personalities etc. and I wouldn't ever describe Niko's journey or path as "generic", not even Mason's.

I guess i have problem with universals, I just feel its bad critique

Sorry, can't distinguish between them. It's like asking me to point out differences between two crows.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017

Why do we have to single out Star Wars? There aren't much minorities in big gaming and movie franchises either especially if you want queer representation. A huge reason is probably the worldwide appeal though. They want to sell movies and games in China.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I knew this'd be about the new SW guy. It's like someone typed "generic white guy" into a computer and this came out.
I don't actually mind the character being white or a man, he just looks extremely generic.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
An African-American, Ethiopian, Haitian, Black-Londoner, and etc can all feel represented through the main character of T'Challa from Black Panther. Trying to segment whiteness into nationalities to deflect criticisms of lack of diverse representation seems like a weak argument.

Asian viewers can see themselves in a plethora of actors and actresses of different nationalities. Saying Niko is vastly different from another white protagonist as a counter argument ignores how consumers of media relate to representation. You ignore the fact that white consumers can feel represented by both Niko and Mason equally and can see themselves in those characters.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think there is legitimacy to the fact that people can be disappointed by it since representation came a long way in media in the last few years...

But it is dumb as hell to bash a game for the sole reason of having a white male protag. Like, you dont even know how good the character will be. Chill out.

That said it is totally valid to not like the character design.

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you write a POC and how the world reacts to them the same you would a white guy, then you lose a lot of the impact they have. Representation matters, but their experience has to be representative also.
Dunno, shouldn't things be like that? Like, everyone treats everyone the same. No racism, no sexism.
I mean, i get that this is an ideal that is not reality. But is it wrong to portray an ideal situation? Anyone can be a hero, anyone can be hunted, anyone can be whatever, people getting defined by what they do rather than where they come from or how they are born.
At least, in, say, space fantasy. Obviously if going for realism, representative portrayal makes perhaps more sense.

Why fresh-faced, good looking, 20-something white guy with common hair color?

Why not someone grizzled and grimy? Why not someone pushing 50? A cyborg? Ugly face? Eye missing? Bad teeth?

I give zero fucks who the guy is at the moment, how they think, how they live, whatever, since that can be only known once playing the game. But i do care how they look, since it is visual medium, one with thousands of characters, most of whom look pretty damn boring and forgettable. I would very much prefer an alien or a minority, just because, but in absence of that, why not give the character some distinguishing appearance beyond "good looks"?

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
it just feels like for marketing reasons they're being boring and safe, which means a young white human male. meanwhile, it's star wars, so you could literally have anyone who looks like anything in that spot

male, female, human, alien, hell you could have like blue or purple skin or whatever, and three eyes, or a tail or some shit

but nope, instead we get a discount version of Kanan Jarrus, who was another white human male padawan who went on the run after Order 66 and hid all his Jedi abilities

actually hold on, Kanan's original name was Caleb Dume, so is this secretly actually the Kanan Jarrus story, or is this another white human male padawan named Cal with a blue lightsaber?