• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
He was as interesting as sandpaper in that trailer. Another human protagonist in the Star Wars world is unimaginative. I also do not look forward to playing as a teenager.

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you being serious? How have the recent female leads been very bad? Especially given the Hellblade example?

Does any games story revolve around one character only? Does halo revolve around master chief? Your criteria don't make any sense. Im talking main playable characters in story based games.

I can count white male leads on my hands as well in the last 2 years for big AAA story based games. Nobody cares what etnicity the character is in random developers AA below 65 metacritic game.

I think a list of story mode leads in the last 2 years would suprise you given what you seem to be thinking.
I didn't say recent i was talking past tense.

Dec 30, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissing concerns surrounding diversity and inclusivity efforts.
No one's censoring anything. They can keep making what they want to and I can keep calling it generic if I think it looks like everything else out there. No one's calling for the developers to be shat on. No one's calling for boycotts. A lot of the people complaining will still get the game if it looks interesting (when they decide to actually show it). What do you want me to say? Am I suppose to pretend I don't find certain character designs generic and overused???

Why being so egocentric? I was talking about an overall climate that's beginning to annoy all the devs of the world because each minority wants to be vocable for very superficial reasons.

I'm, uh, not seeing the problem here. If we make efforts towards diversity, that might lead us down a slippery slope where there'll be more diversity? Is that's the issue?

Solving a micro injustice only lead to another injustices. Don't you see the absurdity of the situation where each minority in the world will begin to claim their spotlight? It's not possible to please everybody and devs now feel obliged to censure themselves by our fault. If really something has to be "fixed", we better concentrate our efforts on law. Please, leave games alone.

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What is not so hard is to let the artists doing their job or let the producers choose the most commercial representation if they want. Creating a toxic climate for so superficial arguments is not going to help them as they have enough pressure for now. Even Japanese devs are bored now.

Today gender minorities, tomorrow non-neurotypical people?

Politics and self censorship in arts are nonsense that people may be wise not to feed.
What you babbling about? japan isn't america. I expect nothing from them, other then not to be racist/insensitive if they do indeed have a poc character in their game.

Why being so egocentric? I was talking about an overall climate that's beginning to annoy all the devs of the world because each minority wants to be vocable for very superficial reasons.

Solving a micro injustice only lead to another injustices. Don't you see the absurdity of the situation where each minority in the world will begin to claim their spotlight? It's not possible to please everybody and devs now feel obliged to censure themselves by our fault. If really something has to be "fixed", we better concentrate our efforts on law. Please, leave games alone.
What? censure themselves? uh

Is there a language barrier happening? 'please leave games alone"? culture representation is a big step towards having an effect on laws and other society preceded norms.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
What is not so hard is to let the artists doing their job or let the producers choose the most commercial representation if they want. Creating a toxic climate for so superficial arguments is not going to help them as they have enough pressure for now. Even Japanese devs are bored now.

Politics and self censorship in arts are nonsense that people may be wise not to feed.
So which is it? Letting the artists do their job or self-censorship?

Nobody is buying this crap from you.

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So which is it? Letting the artists do their job or self-censorship?

Nobody is buying this crap from you.
Who ever this person is, is being very transparent. Like you know he doesn't understand shit, when it comes to the history of art, society and politics. Which people used art to rely every kind of societal and political message/movement for centuries.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America

This is some Boogie2988 level centrism shit here.

Bullitt

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
User warned: Thread whining
Let's just forget that Battlefront 2, the new trilogy and Rogue One had female leads and diverse Co Stars. But only a few hours after the new game has been announced, there's already such an unnecessary thread.

Isn't it kinda racist already thinking about the fact, that a non white/male Character would be more interesting?

I find it tiring, that such discussions are now a norm, especially here.

Sorry if all those points were already made, I didn't want to read all the pages.

Might get banned for drive by or whatever. But seeing more and more of these kind of threads/discussions over problems that aren't really there, but people just can't see something not be diverse or perfectly correct, are taking away the need, urge or fun to post anyway.

Sorry if my english isn't perfect, I'm not a native speaker :)

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
Even in a fictional universe with so many humanoid species, there's people that will argue in favor of playing a white dude.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
And where are you getting this from? This seems to be you projecting your thoughts onto devs. Now who's being egocentric?

As far as I can tell, they seem to think that because not all races can be represented equally, it is worthless to even try. They seem to buy into the idea that game designers are being forced to make POC leads, and that is a violation of art. Obviously this is because the white male heteronormative is the natural state of the world, and to do even the most minor tweak to that formula is a violation of the artist's vision.

There also seems to be a minor concern that this discussion might impact game developers in Japan, which of course, would be a bad thing. So yeah I guess the discussion is over then, Representation is pointless and to try and encourage change is actually the worst thing you could do.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but that is honestly what it reads like to me.

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As far as I can tell, they seem to think that because not all races can be represented equally, it is worthless to even try. They seem to buy into the idea that game designers are being forced to make POC leads, and that is a violation of art. Obviously this is because the white male heteronormative is the natural state of the world, and to do even the most minor tweak to that formula is a violation of the artist's vision.

There also seems to be a minor concern that this discussion might impact game developers in Japan, which of course, would be a bad thing. So yeah I guess the discussion is over then, Representation is pointless and to try and encourage change is actually the worst thing you could do.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but that is honestly what it reads like to me.
You nailed it.

Deleted member 33412

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Tokyo
I personally feel it would have come across just as dull in the trailer. Hell even if it had been an alien, the dialogue is just so ehhhhh.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Perhaps the conversation wouldn't be needed if the industry weren't so hostile and exclusionary towards minorities. Then they could tell their stories the way that they like and the discussion would be a moot point.

But you know that we don't live in such an egalitarian world. And until we do, yeah, we have to remind game developers in the societal majority that other kinds of people exist and have a story worth telling that people will willingly pay money for. There's a solution to the annoyance you feel about this discussion, but the industry doesn't seem to have much of an interest in pursuing. So if they don't want to hear it anymore, perhaps they should look around the room at their co-workers and realize why they won't stop hearing about it from the people giving them their money to keep them employed.

DragonKeeper

Nov 14, 2017
I mean, I think it's wrong to immediately jumping to criticize after learning just the protagonists skin color and apparent sex and nothing else. I've got no issue if people want to criticize the character should he turn out to be just another everyman Nathan Drake type with very little depth, but I'd say it's a bit early to draw conclusions there. I'm not even talking about the outright hatred displayed in the reveal thread with posts basically saying, "yikes, a white guy in 2019."

That doesn't really change the fact that we are still defaulting to pale skin and male as representing the human species for the vast majority of main character roles.

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps the conversation wouldn't be needed if the industry weren't so hostile and exclusionary towards minorities. Then they could tell their stories the way that they like and the discussion would be a moot point.

But you know that we don't live in such an egalitarian world. And until we do, yeah, we have to remind game developers in the societal majority that other kinds of people exist and have a story worth telling that people will willingly pay money for. There's a solution to the annoyance you feel about this discussion, but the industry doesn't seem to have much of an interest in pursuing. So if they don't want to hear it anymore, perhaps they should look around the room at their co-workers and realize why they won't stop hearing about it from the people giving them their money to keep them employed.
First they need to start hiring more diverse creative leads and producers. Until i see that, then i see nothing changing.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Let's just forget that Battlefront 2, the new trilogy and Rogue One had female leads and diverse Co Stars. But only a few hours after the new game has been announced, there's already such an unnecessary thread.

Isn't it kinda racist already thinking about the fact, that a non white/male Character would be more interesting?

Sorry if all those points were already made, I didn't want to read all the pages.

Might get banned for drive by or whatever. But seeing more and more of these kind of threads/discussions over problems that aren't really there, but people just can't see something not be diverse or perfectly correct, are taking away the need, urge or fun to post anyway.

You not thinking it's a problem doesn't erase the issue for others. Seriously, what's the problem with being a bit tired of similar protagonists game after game, film after film? Not saying the game sucks, not saying the devs are racist, just not a fan of the character and for some odd reason, that really bothers some of you. I think reactions such as yours are the reason why these topics are needed. If you don't like the subject, don't engage with it. These topics have always been the norm here, so I'm not sure why you or anyone else would be surprised.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't really change the fact that we are still defaulting to pale skin and male as representing the human species for the vast majority of main character roles.

It sucks that you think these developers and artists are just "defaulting" to a certain skin color for their characters, rather than having some kind of creative vision in mind. That may be the case some of the time, but I doubt it is the majority of the time.

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Forget being a non native speaker, this is just ignorant.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reading this thread and boyyy some of the arguments in support of the protagonists' race and gender is fucking terrible.

Oct 27, 2017
Can we just wait? The game is like 8 months away. We have no way to know if he's an interesting character or not. The same was said for Arthur Morgan pre-release, and look how that turned out.
Wait for what? You do realize people are talking about his design right? Unless you expect it to drastically change, my opinion isn't going to take a 180 just because he has a compelling character arc.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
First they need to start hiring more diverse creative leads and producers. Until i see that, then i see nothing changing.
Yeah, that's what I was saying. The simple solution is hiring a more diverse crowd, rather than the industry (and the aggressively-motivated "anti-SJW" part of the industry's consumer base) pushing out women, racial minorities and LGBTQ people at an alarming rate, whether or not it happens with malicious intent.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm already engulfed in the stories and myths of white masculinity every day. I don't want more.

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It sucks that you think these developers and artists are just "defaulting" to a certain skin color for their characters, rather than having some kind of creative vision in mind. That may be the case some of the time, but I doubt it is the majority of the time.
So your trying to tell me that their creative vision consist of only white leads? because it might as well be the majority. Wait it is....

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I'm interested in a thought experiment. If we took Niko Bellic, Michael Desanta and Trevor Phillips asked 1000 gamers both American and European. How many would think that there a distinct diverse set of characters and how many would think there all "generic" white males

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested in a thought experiment. If we took Niko Bellic, Michael Desanta and Trevor Phillips asked 1000 gamers both American and European. How many would think that there a distinct diverse set of characters and how many would think there all "generic" white males
That's the difference between heritage and visual representation.

Deleted member 5549

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that's something I'm afraid of. they saw 2 movies and a game with a female lead and felt under-represented as white dudes themselves...

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017

Hi, so I'm going to try to write a response to your points as respectfully as possible. I cannot speak for anyone other than myself but, when many posters comment that they find the perspective of another white male jedi boring, they are not saying that being a white male is bad. What I believe many are trying to communicate is that we have seen that perspective often. It has been the default perspective of the vast majority of Star Wars fiction ranging from the books to the games, to the comics. A change in gender, or race, or species, might seem superficial but it can do a lot to provide new context to the protagonist.

You are right that the movies have begun to feature more minorities and women in leading roles, and most are happy about that I think. Games however, have often been locked into a fairly limited perspective. More than any medium Video Games invite the player to identify and inhabit the perspective of the main character, because you control them. To some, it would be empowering to be able to play a perspective other than what is so often the default.

The Video game medium is going through some changes these past few years. They are seeking to appeal to larger and larger audiences, and part of that is trying to become more inclusive to other genders/sexualities/and ethnicities. People feel the urge to speak up now because the lines of communication with developers is more open then it has ever been. I can understand that you don't want to think about these issues, and that it might take some of the fun out of gaming to know that what you enjoy is maybe disappointing or even hurtful to another person, but that is no reason to insult or diminish them. Most people here are not trying to be hurtful, rather they are trying to express why representation matters to them.

Deleted member 1635

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So your trying to tell me that their creative vision consist of only white leads? because it might as well be the majority. Wait it is....

I'm talking in general terms. I imagine most creatives have a more firm version in their heads than just "whatever, let's default to white guy!" If you want to talk about a specific dev or publisher, we can do that, too.

that's something I'm afraid of. they saw 2 movies and a game with a female lead and felt under-represented as white dudes themselves...

Who are you talking about?

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm talking in general terms. I imagine most creatives have a more firm version in their heads than just "whatever, let's default to white guy!" If you want to talk about a specific dev or publisher, we can do that, too.

Who are you talking about?

It's less a creative choice more of a default choice. Rather it's subconscious or conscious or even mandated to a degree. The sheer lack of diversity in games, when it comes to character leads is quite amazing to behold laid down bare. It's far to numerous in such a creative field to be mare coincidence. Now it may not be nefarious but there's surely a disconnect.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

We have enough evidence to suggest that there's a bit of that in this industry, as much of what we see in games is rigorously focus-tested and thus defaults to the tastes of the majority.

But even beyond that... what does it say to you when a creative's "firm vision" rarely to never features anything BUT a white male?

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
it's not that he's a white dude

it's that he's the generic nathan drake looking mfer

there's nothing interesting about his visual appearance, looks like generic movie actor with american accent #3953

he isn't nero, dante, v-esque

he isn't geralt-esque

he isn't ezio, joel, kratos

he isn't doctor dude from vampyr, or agent 47 from hitman

he isn't artyom or corvo or adam jensen

he doesn't even come across as more interesting as the most generic white dude protag, BJ from wolfenstein

there's nothing to the character seen in the trailer - and that's where the "bland" shit comes from

if he was wearing interesting clothes or had some badass character moment in the trailer, this would be a very different conversation
This is how I feel about him. I don't care what race or color he is. I just think he looks really boring. The trailer does hint at his costume changing over the course of the game, so I think he'll look more like a Jedi as the game goes on. But he'll still have that boring and generic hair cut. It looks like they threw a spacer costume on Tom Holland or something.

Novel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Geez, you really love to avoid the point.

Bullitt

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
You not thinking it's a problem doesn't erase the issue for others. Seriously, what's the problem with being a bit tired of similar protagonists game after game, film after film? Not saying the game sucks, not saying the devs are racist, just not a fan of the character and for some odd reason, that really bothers some of you. I think reactions such as yours are the reason why these topics are needed. If you don't like the subject, don't engage with it. These topics have always been the norm here, so I'm not sure why you or anyone else would be surprised.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be a issue for others, everyone has a right for his opinion, so do you and so do I. And nowadays I don't think you can be tired because the same protagonist over and over. Wouldn't you agree, that nowadays there's more diversity than ever before? Not saying it's to much or that there couldn't be more, cause it definitely can. But it seems to me, that every time a game, a movie, TV series or whatever doesn't have a PoC, female or minority as lead or isn't diverse enough altogether, there needs to be a discussion.

It seems like every lead character HAS to be diverse.

Also, isn't it kinda paradox arguing, that my type of reaction is a reason for such a discussion, even though I just post because it exists^^

You could also call it vicous circle I guess.

It don't think such discussions are unnecessary all together. They are necessary at times. But this time, especially this soon, it might be unnecessary, at least that's what I think.

J_Atlas

Apr 11, 2019
I'm a native american, and it sucks my video game playable character representation comes down to "One of the four racist fighting game character designs"

Turok

And the guy from Prey

The best bit of representation I think for us has been this, thanks to the people going back and re working thunder with the help of the actual tribe he is a part of to make him as accurate to them as possible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=R_Hkq3LZrro

I like most people of color would like more representation in our hobby, plus it would be cool to just see more varied character designs in general.

Oct 27, 2017

I actually don't think they do, at least not in the way you think. You seriously underestimate just how pervasive white as the norm/default is and how that affects things. They probably have some actor in mind as inspirations and when the vast majority of those people are white dudes, that inspiration tends to be one too. Or they simply tend to create characters that feel familiar to them, which again, leads to the same issue as most creatives in the industry are white guys. It's why people always suggest more diversity in creative teams. Simply having a different perspective or who you idolize or who feels familiar to you leads to different outcomes.

Dragon's Game

Alt account
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Geez, you really love to avoid the point.
No... the point is Americans generally view diversity in broad racial categories "white" and "black". Europeans tend to view diversity in categories like ethnicity or nationality. I think the American view of diversity is too reductionist. You can put these 3 characters as part of the same group but it's not helpful

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It seems like every lead character HAS to be diverse.
I can count positive portrayals of LGBT people in games on my hands. When that stops being the case for LGBT people, women and racial minorities, as it is with the characters that represent the majority, people will stop the critique. It's that simple.