• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
That's what I've gathered. The texture for the NPC that triggers it was in the game since launch IIRC, but the actual character either wasn't in, or was in such a dumb, out of the way that no one would have found him even if they wanted to.

YIIK kind of just exists as a punchline at this point, & the brave souls like DNAbro & GrandmaParty that forced themselves through once are thankfully unlikely to do it again. So it's possible a whole 10 hour epilogue's there, but no one wants to put in the time to find it past what had to be explained on an MRA podcast. Which I guess kind of feels like needing to buy a copy of GameFan to learn all the Mortal Kombat fatalities back in the 90's, except the game's garbage & the magazine has nothing to do with games & is instead about how all women must be lesbians out to destroy all men because the writers get rejected so frequently & also lack self-awareness.
YIIK is the epitome of the game made by EarthBound fans that so desperately want to make a new EarthBound, and yet so clearly and completely misunderstood every facet of EarthBound.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
There's a countdown before a 17 second mini-game to do 18 points of damage. Only for the enemy to heal immediately after. I'm all for more dynamic combat in RPG's; Undertale & the first 2-and-a-half games each for Mario & Luigi/Paper Mario are some of my favorites in the genre. But enemies in those games have low HP & the combat tends to vary wildly based on the enemy you're fighting, rather than the combat mini-games being based on the character. Hell, Mario & Luigi delving into that was the death knell for the franchise.

If this game had testers, I'm sure one of them had to explain how unfun the combat was.
I have shorter battles when I play Grandia II and spend way more time than necessary painstakingly planning out every move to try for flawless victories.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Would y'all believe me when I say the battles are actually the worst part of the game, even over the story. By the end I was dreading any battle appearing.

GrandmaParty

Apr 21, 2019
Would y'all believe me when I say the battles are actually the worst part of the game, even over the story. By the end I was dreading any battle appearing.

The doors, man. I dreaded the fucking doors. Time to level up!

*Mind Dungeon theme lodges in your brain*

For the uninitiated, to level up in Yiik, you go through doors. You assign a stat to a door, then go through it. Repeat 4 times for each floor.

You want to see the last scene in new game+? 70 floors. 280 doors. From scratch.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Or your can look at this single ordinary battle. PHOTOSENSITIVITY WARNING. SERIOUSLY.

How could someone bear one battle, let alone an entire game of this is beyond me
No, after watching that Golden Alpaca boss fight I 100% believe you

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
How could someone bear one battle, let alone an entire game of this is beyond me

No, after watching that Golden Alpaca boss fight I 100% believe you

Amazingly the player is using the most time efficient method which is using the panda to stop attacks so you don't have to play the dodge attack mini game.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fair use is fine when you properly attribute your appropriately-sized sample in a way that highlights its source as being not yourself.

This is flat out plagiarism. Which is what talentless hacks with little to say do.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Given the ham-fisted nature of the rest of the game, I'd be more than willing to give 'em the benefit of the doubt here and assume that it was just an extremely clumsy attempt at referencing/paying homage rather than a blatant attempt to try and pass off someone else's work as their own.

But boy am I glad I didn't buy this game, whew.

fargodog

Banned
Feb 24, 2019
I'm genuinely shocked he actually has read a Murakami novel. However, he missed the crucial part of actually, y'know, understanding one.

Kotaku reports, developer responds
May 13, 2019

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
As ham-fisted and weird as it is I have to believe it was intended as an homage. No way someone puts excerpts from a novel in a game nowadays without expecting people to notice.

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
Stealing someone's work and trying to get away with it is not "homage," it's plagiarism. The character could say "Murakami once wrote..." and then launch into this bit of text, maybe, and you could call that a homage, but not just stealing shit with no credit.

Fuu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Stealing someone's work and trying to get away with it is not "homage," it's plagiarism. The character could say "Murakami once wrote..." and then launch into this bit of text, maybe, and you could call that a homage, but not just stealing shit with no credit.
Yeah, the result is plagiarism, but I can believe he wrongly sees it as an homage. Especially considering everything else that surfaced from this game.

It doesn't excuse it, but I don't think there was malice is what I mean.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
"I put that in there to prove that gamers and journalists have no artistic sense. As you can see by the YIIK review scores, these plebeians cant even recognize good writing when they see it."

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
They should have done that since the beginning to be honest.
Yeah, it would have saved them at least some of the headaches.

It wouldn't have made the game actually any more fun to play or erase the weirdness of the director's Dick Show appearance and the secret (sort of there?) red pill ending, but at least no one would jump on them for plagiarism.

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
Update: Ackk Studios claims it was intended as homage, but they're taking the extra step of patching in a "Works Cited" section into the game's credits:
https://www.usgamer.net/articles/yi...sm-says-its-a-tribute-but-will-update-credits

This is not enough. You "cite works" in an academic paper, you don't do it in a work of fiction unless you're crediting it within the fiction, or there's some artistic reason for it being there.

"I liked this book so I copied some of it" does not really cover artistic reason.

Remembrance

Oct 25, 2017
If you copy the first line of a novel that means you want everyone to know where you copied it from.

If you copy the second line of a novel that means you're trying to hide it.

SilentStorm

Apr 14, 2019
The doors, man. I dreaded the fucking doors. Time to level up!

*Mind Dungeon theme lodges in your brain*

For the uninitiated, to level up in Yiik, you go through doors. You assign a stat to a door, then go through it. Repeat 4 times for each floor.

You want to see the last scene in new game+? 70 floors. 280 doors. From scratch.
What?

No, seriously, what?

I couldn't stand watching the video of what i assume is a normal random battle(particularly the photo attack) and now you tell me levelling up is done like that, did the YIIK developers never play any RPG before?

They must have noticed the battles took too long and that the game requires a serious amount of grind just to assign stats and apparently see stuff, or is this some meta commentary about how pointless battles are or whatever and their artistic way of saying that is by making battles and stats boring?

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
This is not enough. You "cite works" in an academic paper, you don't do it in a work of fiction unless you're crediting it within the fiction, or there's some artistic reason for it being there.

"I liked this book so I copied some of it" does not really cover artistic reason.
Nope, it doesn't. This is about as effective as adding the works cited page to a college essay two months after you turned it in and got penalized for not including it.

GrandmaParty

Apr 21, 2019
What?

No, seriously, what?

I couldn't stand watching the video of what i assume is a normal random battle(particularly the photo attack) and now you tell me levelling up is done like that, did the YIIK developers never play any RPG before?

They must have noticed the battles took too long and that the game requires a serious amount of grind just to assign stats and apparently see stuff, or is this some meta commentary about how pointless battles are or whatever and their artistic way of saying that is by making battles and stats boring?

Here's combat lobsters video opening doors for 51 minutes in ng+.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3b4aamJh20

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
There's a bunch of bad stuff in this game, but I think referencing a novel is pretty mild. It's not like they were trying to pass off the story of the book as the story of the game, it's just some text. I don't see how this is all that different from art or music that features pieces of other works.

Ideally they should have attributed it of course, but I don't see this as some wildly unethical thing.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
300 years from now, archeologists will still uncover more shitty things about this game

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
There's a bunch of bad stuff in this game, but I think referencing a novel is pretty mild. It's not like they were trying to pass off the story of the book as the story of the game, it's just some text. I don't see how this is all that different from art or music that features pieces of other works.

Ideally they should have attributed it of course, but I don't see this as some wildly unethical thing.

He didn't reference a novel, he copied passages from it. That's not the same.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
The funniest thing of all is that the game is (mostly) supposed to be set in the 90s, isn't it? The book's from '04 -- and wasn't in English until like '07.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
The funniest thing of all is that the game is (mostly) supposed to be set in the 90s, isn't it? The book's from '04 -- and wasn't in English until like '07.
The game is full of weird time nonsense like this. Alex (a twenty-year-old) refers to games like Chrono Trigger (1995) and Secret of Mana (1993) as being part of his childhood.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
You know after all of this I don't really think the developer is malicious in their actions, it's just obvious that they're wildly incompetent and don't understand how homage or visuals or gameplay or words work.

SilentStorm

Apr 14, 2019
Here's combat lobsters video opening doors for 51 minutes in ng+.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3b4aamJh20
I couldn't watch everything, look, i like RPG's, i don't mind turn-based games or anything like that, but dear God, looking at how long a random battle takes without the broken OP move that was apparently an accident and the level up mechanics, it makes me wonder if the developer was serious when he said that people not liking this game is proof that gamers have trash taste.

I mean, they do know that RPG's aren't entirely about story, right?

Yes, i have seen some RPG fans comment on one entry being better than all the others in the franchise for having a better story while saying everything else is worse, but they aren't all fans, RPG's still have an actual game to play, they have a world to explore, music to listen to, lots of little details that can make or break a RPG regardless of the quality of the story.

And from what i can tell, the battles and the level up mechanics are a boring mess that by themselves should make many people hate the game even if the story was amazing, but it seems many people don't think it is.

At some point, you should wonder if you have bad taste and not the audience.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it would have saved them at least some of the headaches.

It wouldn't have made the game actually any more fun to play or erase the weirdness of the director's Dick Show appearance and the secret (sort of there?) red pill ending, but at least no one would jump on them for plagiarism.
Was the red pill ending ever really revealed? Last I saw, it involves a cameo from some MRA podcast or something, right?

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Was the red pill ending ever really revealed? Last I saw, it involves a cameo from some MRA podcast or something, right?
This question came up before, but as far as I'm aware, the ending isn't actually in the game. Just some content that would serve as the bridge to the ending were the game ever updated to include it.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
This question came up before, but as far as I'm aware, the ending isn't actually in the game. Just some content that would serve as the bridge to the ending were the game ever updated to include it.
Huh. So they'll be putting the putting the campaign for the extra ending DLC on Freestartr?

Plum

May 31, 2018
He had a character speak passages from the novel. He didn't present passages from the novel as the story of the game.

He had a character speak passages from the novel without referencing the novel (and no, a post-release patch adding a mention in the credits doesn't count as referencing) or even referencing the fact that it wasn't his work. That's the definition of plagiarism, and you'd likely get reprimanded to hell and back if you were to pull that shit in a more strict environment like academia or AAA gaming.

Last edited: