• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
hTBicqk.jpg

Basic Information:
Platform: Nintendo 3DS
Release Date:
JP: July 16 & December 15, 2016
EU: December 7, 2018
AU: December 8, 2018
NA: February 8, 2019
Genre: Monster-raising RPG
Developer: Level-5

Features:
-All-new Merican Yokai to discover and collect! Over 600 Yokai in total!
-The new Buil-A-Nyan feature will let you create and customize your own Nyan-type Yokai! Because there are never enogh of them yet!
-Full Blasters game mode included!
-Newly revamped battle system! No more rotating circle of Yokai!
-Explore TWO different cities; old, faithful Springdale as Hailey Anne and St. Peanutsberg as Nate.

FAQ:
Wasn't this three games in Japan? So which one is this? Do I have to buy multiple versions of this to get the full experience?

This was released Pokemon-style in Japan, yes, with two versions originally and a third updated one released later.
The western release of this game is a modded version of the third game, so it has ALL the updates and bonus content therein as well as all Yokai available in one game for the first time since Yokai Watch 1.

Is it ok to start with this game? Or is there a better YW title to get into the series with?
AVOID Yokai Watch 1, but it would be a good idea to play Yokai Watch 2: Psychic Specters before this since it's a direct sequel. But really, you'll be fine starting here. The plot isn't exactly super complex.

Are there any bonuses for having previous games in the series?
Lots! I think at least the three versions of YW2 and both versions of Blasters give exclusive Yokai that you can't get anywhere else. These are what replaced some of the NFC medals that were used to get the same Yokai in Japan.

Why does the US have to wait so long to get a game that was explicitly made to appeal to western, and predominantly American, audiences?

This OT will be updated and reused for the US release of YW3 as well.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hyped when this comes out in February.
EU really should have picked a better day for this to come out. Like next week.

Oct 25, 2017
Me right now: This isn't out in Europe already is it

First time I can't even be mad about NA getting a game months late. This time it is for the best

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
This will be my last 3DS game, I suppose, since I'll skip (again...) Epic yarn and Etrian Odyssey Nexus.

My farewell gift to the greatest portable.

OP
OP
Dandy Crocodile

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Stinks having to wait until February but I'm REALLY excited to have a new town to play in.
Six games of just Springdale and Harrisburg was getting kinda tiresome.

kubus

Oct 27, 2017
Have a digital review copy but bought it retail today as well to support the franchise.

About halfway through the story (I think? Chapterwise?) and it's sogood.gif. For reference, I liked YW1, but didn't really enjoy YW2 (too grindy, too rehash-y). I am really liking YW3 so far, easily the best entry in the series!

Btw I think retail copies might be scarce in EU, the game is sold out everywhere at launch and I doubt it's because it's selling very well. More likely they didn't print a lot of copies to prevent a YW2 scenario where they can't even get rid of stock in bargain bins.

Observation Platform

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I sunk like 200 hours across the three JP versions, and loved it. So cool that this one is all three editions condensed into one. Enjoy everyone, it's a really great (and long) game.

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Have a digital review copy but bought it retail today as well to support the franchise.

About halfway through the story (I think? Chapterwise?) and it's sogood.gif. For reference, I liked YW1, but didn't really enjoy YW2 (too grindy, too rehash-y). I am really liking YW3 so far, easily the best entry in the series!

Btw I think retail copies might be scarce in EU, the game is sold out everywhere at launch and I doubt it's because it's selling very well. More likely they didn't print a lot of copies to prevent a YW2 scenario where they can't even get rid of stock in bargain bins.

I think the game is selling great in Spain, but it has stock problems too. I don't know why they were so cheap with the stock when it's the only 3DS game for Christmas and Reyes. Yo-kai Watch Blasters had better stock few months ago and they keep selling.

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoying YW3, the dual protagonist set-up is really fun. The game just feels so big, and strikes a really nice balance of introducing plenty of new while keeping the best of the old. Probably my only slight complaint is that the rollout of key things from the previous game(s) like the apps, the bike, fishing, bug catching etc has quite a slow pace. The game is so broad in scope, I understand the logic of pacing that stuff out for newcomers, but I'd just like that stuff up from. Does anyone know when you unlock trading? I'm on Chapter 3 for both characters right now. Also, while the new grid based battle set-up is totally fine and fairly interesting, I kind of miss the simplicity of the wheel. It just *worked*. As I said though, I'm having a great time. Such a charming world.

chrisdm

Oct 27, 2017
Northeast United States
Sorry for the necro-bump, but I just picked up a copy of Bony Spirits from Target the other day for awesomely cheap. I know everyone recommends Psychic Specters, and while I wish I could find a physical copy of that, am I missing a ton by playing Bony Spirits instead? Just trying to prepare myself for 3 story wise.

pikablu

Oct 28, 2017
I'm really happy it finally is coming out later this week in the US. I pre-ordered my physical copy to support the series as much as possible. Maybe I should just buy digital as well for that bonus..hmm.

I'm curious op though, why do you say avoid yokai watch 1? I had a lot of fun with that despite 2 being better.

OP
OP
Dandy Crocodile

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really happy it finally is coming out later this week in the US. I pre-ordered my physical copy to support the series as much as possible. Maybe I should just buy digital as well for that bonus..hmm.

I'm curious op though, why do you say avoid yokai watch 1? I had a lot of fun with that despite 2 being better.
No reason to buy it anymore, particularly for story. It has outdated mechanics and everything it does, including all the important parts of the story, is done better in 2.

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon confirmed it's coming this Friday. Not sure why it took this long to confirm that but at least it's coming.
Can't wait!

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for the necro-bump, but I just picked up a copy of Bony Spirits from Target the other day for awesomely cheap. I know everyone recommends Psychic Specters, and while I wish I could find a physical copy of that, am I missing a ton by playing Bony Spirits instead? Just trying to prepare myself for 3 story wise.
I know this is an old post, but no you aren't really missing anything

pikablu

Oct 28, 2017
No reason to buy it anymore, particularly for story. It has outdated mechanics and everything it does, including all the important parts of the story, is done better in 2.
I really liked a lot of the story in 1 that want in 2 like going to the yokai world at the end. But I agree 2 is better in every way and should probably be played first if anything so you can better memorize where places are since the map system in 1 is terribly unintuitive. Still if you like 2 and still got a hankering after 3 I'd say it may be worth trying.

PhoenixSFT

Oct 25, 2017
Superior, CO
I caved and decided to pick up my copy today, I loved YW2 and I'm excited to check out the new town and Yo-Kai. At least there aren't two versions this time.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
NFC functionality is scrapped in the modded version of 3? I remember reading about this, but I hoped they'd reconsider. Since both blasters games only got a single print run in North America, as far as I can tell, this may not have been the best thing to do. Perhaps limitations were an issue when making this version.

pikablu

Oct 28, 2017
I picked my physical copy up from GameStop today. Glad I pre-ordered because it was the only copy they got.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Thinking about picking this up. Was surprised to it sold out on Amazon. Might run to Walmart to grab a copy.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Out of curiosity, why "AVOID yokai watch 1"?
Yokai Watch 2 contains a condensed rehash of the story from 1 in addition to the new location and storyline.

Honestly I found the rehash in YW2 to be unsatisfying and am happy I played the original, but it's not absolutely necessary to play it in order to enjoy YW2. I would recommend playing all 3, personally.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoying YW3, the dual protagonist set-up is really fun. The game just feels so big, and strikes a really nice balance of introducing plenty of new while keeping the best of the old. Probably my only slight complaint is that the rollout of key things from the previous game(s) like the apps, the bike, fishing, bug catching etc has quite a slow pace. The game is so broad in scope, I understand the logic of pacing that stuff out for newcomers, but I'd just like that stuff up from. Does anyone know when you unlock trading? I'm on Chapter 3 for both characters right now. Also, while the new grid based battle set-up is totally fine and fairly interesting, I kind of miss the simplicity of the wheel. It just *worked*. As I said though, I'm having a great time. Such a charming world.
I bought the game at its Japanese release and I agree with a lot here. Having two protagonists with two different parties is a really interesting idea which makes sense in monster catching games since there are so many. But the pacing at the beginning is incredibly slow, it feels like an overlong tutorial which is completely unnecessary for such an easy game. I loved YW2 but dropped 3 after a couple of hours...

Oct 25, 2017
I bought the game at its Japanese release and I agree with a lot here. Having two protagonists with two different parties is a really interesting idea which makes sense in monster catching games since there are so many. But the pacing at the beginning is incredibly slow, it feels like an overlong tutorial which is completely unnecessary for such an easy game. I loved YW2 but dropped 3 after a couple of hours...

Hah actually, I totally forgot to come back and update my thoughts, but I did actually end up dropping off of 3 around 20 hours in, almost entirely down to the pacing, and missing the old battle system. I started out really positive but it just kind of sapped away at me until I couldn't really see why I wasn't just playing 1 or 2. Really not what I expected to happen with 3, I love the first 2 but yea. I haven't been back unfortunately :(

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say I'm really loving the game. It's so massive that getting to the story is tough, and it's not even open world.
This is going to show up on a bunch of "underrated 3DS gems" list in a couple years.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Still waiting for Amazon to send me my copy.
Refreshing that three versions got consolidated into one, however.
My wallet gives thanks to the decision-makers.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Went to Best Buy to get something else and saw it there, couldn't resist.

Still reeling that they call the new country BBQ instead of USA. I guess having "TROUBLE IS BREWING IN THE HEART OF USA" on the back of the box wouldn't sit right lol

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I find it hilarious that North America is the last region to get an America-centric game. Still on the fence about this one. I adored the original Yo-Kai Watch, and the sequel was an improvement, but it wasn't as fun for some reason.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game is really fun so far, but I agree that it is slow at the beginning. Every Yokai Watch has this problem. Game is really funny though, and I like the changes to the battle system.

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
Hah actually, I totally forgot to come back and update my thoughts, but I did actually end up dropping off of 3 around 20 hours in, almost entirely down to the pacing, and missing the old battle system. I started out really positive but it just kind of sapped away at me until I couldn't really see why I wasn't just playing 1 or 2. Really not what I expected to happen with 3, I love the first 2 but yea. I haven't been back unfortunately :(
I also played the Japanese version and felt like the two protagonists setup made the game incredibly slow. That specific problem is somewhat solved when
your two individual parties are combined and it no longer takes twice as long to level up your team.
Unfortunately, I don't think that's the biggest issue with this game. I loved it, but I thought the boss battles were lacking in YK3, whereas boss battles were easily one of the best parts in the previous games.

pikablu

Oct 28, 2017
Loving the dual protagonist story so far as well as the new battle system. Game is a blast and all these new USA yokai are hilarious.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm might end up picking this up. Played both 1 and 2 but got tired out before beating either of them. Third time's the charm?

Was any new toys or merch produced for the game? Is there a new series of medals, or are those dead in the West?

Miller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm might end up picking this up. Played both 1 and 2 but got tired out before beating either of them. Third time's the charm?

Was any new toys or merch produced for the game? Is there a new series of medals, or are those dead in the West?

The merch continues in France but is completely dead in the anglosphere.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I find it hilarious that North America is the last region to get an America-centric game. Still on the fence about this one. I adored the original Yo-Kai Watch, and the sequel was an improvement, but it wasn't as fun for some reason.
If you plan to buy physical, make sure you have time to wait.

I would imagine I would get a shipment by next next week.

Kass15

Jan 14, 2018
I know the 3DS is "dead" but I'm still surprised this OT doesn't have more activity. The game is really great.

Oct 25, 2017
If you're going to get the game physically, now is the time to do it. It's a low print run with copies running out on Amazon surprisingly quickly.

Of course, buying digitally gives you access to Jibanyan T and Komasan T so.... either way works.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If you plan to buy physical, make sure you have time to wait.

I would imagine I would get a shipment by next next week.
If you're going to get the game physically, now is the time to do it. It's a low print run with copies running out on Amazon surprisingly quickly.

Of course, buying digitally gives you access to Jibanyan T and Komasan T so.... either way works.
Oh wow. That's kinda got me scared for other 3DS games I haven't bought yet.

Apr 25, 2018
I got what seemed to be the final available copy anywhere in my city.

I think a combination of being on the 3DS so late in its life with a limited print run means there isn't much buzz for this which is a shame. I hope Yokai Watch 4 gets localised quickly for the west and revitalises the series.

I still feel this is the best in the series so far, its so much fun. I just finally got access to
the full Mirapo network

Oct 25, 2017
Word of warning:
Do not use the QR codes from the site "Yo-kai Watch World" (unrelated to the mobile game). Many of them are not legit, and one of them can screw up your game file.
They also lie about the source of the codes. Claiming the 600 Forbidden Fruit codes came from medals (they don't).