• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017

Just uploaded on Level-5's official channel.
Recouping losses? Struggling with Switch tech?
Strange that a series that spent its life on Nintendo (and mobile) is suddenly making the jump to Sony.
Watch as this doesn't change anything about localization.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I wonder if that's why it doesn't run so well on Switch. Was never intended to be a Switch exclusive just a timed one. I really can't stand timed exclusives. Just put them out on everything or don't.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
I would hope for more multi-platform games now between switch/ps4. It makes perfect sense.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
PS4 will become a hand me down console very soon, so this is an understandable move.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Well maybe they just want a more stable game and not bother with optimizing Switch.
Still, I wonder how the sales would work since there's zero audience on the PS4.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Woah, didn't expect this. Wish I could get into Yokai Watch, tried the first one on the 3DS but I could never shake off the feeling of bootleg Pokémon

KenyaPSP

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 26, 2019
This really sucks because there's no way the PS4 version will ever leave Japan since Nintendo handles Yokai in the West.

Deleted member 41183

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Maybe they think this will counter cost of adding in the hundreds of Yo-kai they promised to add post-launch

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Not that surprising. The game didn't do well on Switch in Japan.

The series is losing popularity and they are going to try to milk what they can out of it to re-coup and find a new franchise. I doubt this does significant numbers anywhere.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
I was actually surprised this wasn't released alongside the Switch version after their Inazuma Eleven strategy.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Releasing a late port in a floundering franchise on a console that's floundering in Japan to attempt recouping losses is quite the Level-5 move

Oct 25, 2017
They would need a strategy for Ares first.

Pretty sure it's this (and everything else right now).

05onfire1_xp-articleLarge-v2.jpg

How is this possible?

How do they go from creating the biggest phenomenon in Japan since Pokemon with Yokai Watch, to crashing and burning in so little time? What went wrong?

I'm scared for my man Layton too, I don't want his house to burn down.

Astonishing mismanagement. Nobody asked for a Ni no Kuni movie, but they had one made anyway. It bombed.
Nobody asked for a port of YW1 for Switch so soon after YW4. But it's coming anyway.
Megaton Musashi is still nothing more than a trailer.
Snack World failed to launch, and the market they made it for (Merica) still doesn't have it.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
It's not going to sell any better unfortunately. Damn, it kind makes me sad to see the state Level 5 is in.

Draconian

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Who exactly is going to buy this in Japan that didn't get it on the Switch? Who is this for?

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Level-5 just shot themselves in the foot.
I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.
What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Yo-Kai Watch for any system, nor will they purchase any of Level-5s games going forward. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Level-5 has alienated an entire market with this move.
Level-5, I suggest you publicly apologize and cancel Yo-Kai Watch for PS4 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Desperation move.

They should just pretend this game never happened and make a new 4 following 3's gameplay. 4 battle system is trash and static.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Given how quickly they ran this series into the ground, not surprised they're trying to get sales elsewhere.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Hmm, never played this series but heard a lot about it.

Hopefully it comes to the west, id be keen to get it.

Itsuki

Oct 26, 2017
ouch. I think I remember the game was selling millions when the series was in its peak..
I remember how the watch toy was too hard to get back in 2014-2015, where in some places the only way to buy it was by lottery. And I will never forget how Jibanyan replaced Pikachu in some visuals like on Korokoro.
Franchise has been in a downhill since 2016 and I blame Level5 management.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure there will be overlapping markets here, so it's definitely not a zero audience thing.
Yo-Kai Watch 4 hasn't even released in the west yet, and those localizations are usually done by Nintendo, so they'd have to have another publisher pick the title up if they want it on PS4 for overseas territory.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I literally just finished it on Switch a week ago, despite the horrible performance issues o.o

Anyway, game is great, and makes me way more excited for the next Ni No Kuni than Ni No Kuni 2 did lol.
Woah, didn't expect this. Wish I could get into Yokai Watch, tried the first one on the 3DS but I could never shake off the feeling of bootleg Pokémon
If you were like me and hated the combat of 1 (and the little bit of 2 I played), then this is significantly better, and way closer to the original Ni No Kuni.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Level5 trying anything they can do to save the series. It's their fault for it losing so much steam so quickly. Rather than throwing everything they got and releasing year after year of games. They could have spread it out like Pokemon so people weren't overwhelmed with it.

Manatron

Feb 6, 2018
Level-5 seems to be going multi-platform in general. When they announced Inazuma Eleven Ares it was for PS4 and Switch, which was also previously a Nintendo handheld exclusive.

Ares also seems to be trapped in development hell, so that continues to be a bummer.