• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Desperation move.

They should just pretend this game never happened and make a new 4 following 3's gameplay. 4 battle system is trash and static.

How different is 3 from 1? I played 1 and it was interesting at first but got pretty boring after a few hours.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
It screams audience mismatch but good luck, Level 5 definitely need some success, they're in a very rough period right now and Inazuma Eleven Ares still has no sign of launching soon despite the anime finishing its second season.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So porting games is bad now? Thought games should be on every possible platform.

Never been into monster collectathons but did like some of the designs in this series.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
I wonder who they will get to publish Yokai Watch 4 in the West now. Probably will need some heavy convincing.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
It's less console war and more annoyance that Level-5 continues to make poor business decisions. They should have made this launch with the Switch version, not wait a couple months and announce this.
I understand but at the end of the story they are just releasing the game on another platform. Better late than never ( and i'm not even interested in the game itself , just found some of the comments in the first page very strange ).

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Nobody is angry at them porting i think. Most are disappointed in seeing how Yokai the series as a whole has plummeted after it skyrocketed in popularity less than a decade ago. Could have been the next Pokemon.

Hopefully it turns out well for them and Yokai can get a rebound from this.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It looks almost the same as the Switch version, seems like a quick port for a few low risk extra sales to me. Good for people in Japan with a PS4 and no Switch who wants to play YW I guess.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How different is 3 from 1? I played 1 and it was interesting at first but got pretty boring after a few hours.
They changed the roulette system for a grid based battle system. While I enjoyed the roulette in 1/2, 3's gameplay is more polished and strategic, with your Yo-kai positioning being pretty important as they can get combos or protect each other based on where they're field, special moves also now hit in specific spots of the field and you and the opponent can dodge them by moving in their turn.

277add3dcb68f26a2aca686efabe1e38571b1008

Game is pretty sweet and full of content. The main story is maybe too long, but each chapter is unique enough to not feel like you're doing the same stuff over and over again like in Yo-kai Watch 1, and you also can pick between the two different main characters (Nate and Hailey) at any time and they live in completely different places with their different stories --- Nate in the USA going through adventures based on stuff like Tom Sawyer and the X-Files, while Hailey is in Springdale doing stuff like running a mystery agency and visiting the otaku district, etc.

Pretty fun, polished and full of content game if you're into these monster RPGs, but can't take the "slog" of YW1.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
This is going to colossally bomb. What's left of the YW audience does not have a PS4.

Yeah I guess there would be no reason to make it a timed exclusive.
Is L5 just that incompetent that it ran so poorly?
Nah, they just rushed it to the market to have something out. Their games are generally pretty solid in the performance department, and Yo-kai Watch 4 isn't doing anything that the Switch hasn't already done and had few problems with it.

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think anyone is particularly angry at this move, so much as they're amused by it. Level-5 has been a mismanaged clusterfuck for a few years now, and putting a game like this on a platform that has virtually zero audience overlap is stupid, even for this company.
I don't think is a bad move so namco and Bethesda are stupid by trowing Doom and dark souls on the switch that had zero audience. Maybe the IP is not the same that was years ago but is a risk and maybe can gain the money of the port and make more games in the future for both plataforma.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo localized the other titles in the series so I hope your Japanese is at least decent if you want to play this on PS4.

I don't think is a bad move so namco and Bethesda are stupid by trowing Doom and dark souls on the switch that had zero audience. Maybe the IP is not the same that was years ago but is a risk and maybe can gain the money of the port and make more games in the future for both plataforma.
The Switch quickly established itself as being a strong platform for core gaming experiences, so Doom and Dark Souls made a lot of sense. Conversely, kids do not play PS4s in Japan, so a kid-focused IP isn't going to have much going for it on the system. I don't see how this is going to do anything that's going to rescue the series from its downward spiral, especially with how much weaker it's been in the west.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Switch quickly established itself as being a strong platform for core gaming experiences, so Doom and Dark Souls made a lot of sense. Conversely, kids do not play PS4s in Japan, so a kid-focused IP isn't going to have much going for it on the system. I don't see how this is going to do anything that's going to rescue the series from its downward spiral, especially with how much weaker it's been in the west.
To be fair it can sell in places like Spain where Yo-kai Watch and Playstation are both popular, this is kinda the reason why Inazuma Ares even is multiplat from the start. But I don't expect it to sell much anywhere even on Switch.

The fact that this game follows up the story of previous games and the movies doesn't help much in attracting "new fans" as well while the gameplay and lack of monsters seems to be alienating to Yo-kai Watch's original fanbase.

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
There's a bizarre level of hate for Level-5 from JP sales Era that I don't really understand.

Do you think that people are "angry" if they point out the massive decline of Mass Effect with Andromeda?

Nintendo localized the other titles in the series so I hope your Japanese is at least decent if you want to play this on PS4.

If this game gets localized in one way or another I expect both making it over. Either way I don't think Nintendo will bring it to the west so you are going to wait a lot more if it even comes over.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Do you think that people are "angry" if they point out the massive decline of Mass Effect with Andromeda?

If this game gets localized in one way ir another I expec mt both making it ovee. Either way I don't expect Nintendo to bring it to the west so you are going to wait a lot more if it even comes over.
No, but there's legitimately a bizarre level of toxicity whenever they're brought up. It's fine to think they're mismanaged, but oftentimes folks in the threads are completely blind and treat even something like NNK2 as a bomb (it sold over a million copies :/).

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
They changed the roulette system for a grid based battle system. While I enjoyed the roulette in 1/2, 3's gameplay is more polished and strategic, with your Yo-kai positioning being pretty important as they can get combos or protect each other based on where they're field, special moves also now hit in specific spots of the field and you and the opponent can dodge them by moving in their turn.

277add3dcb68f26a2aca686efabe1e38571b1008

Game is pretty sweet and full of content. The main story is maybe too long, but each chapter is unique enough to not feel like you're doing the same stuff over and over again like in Yo-kai Watch 1, and you also can pick between the two different main characters (Nate and Hailey) at any time and they live in completely different places with their different stories --- Nate in the USA going through adventures based on stuff like Tom Sawyer and the X-Files, while Hailey is in Springdale doing stuff like running a mystery agency and visiting the otaku district, etc.

Pretty fun, polished and full of content game if you're into these monster RPGs, but can't take the "slog" of YW1.

Would you say it's worth just skipping to 3 then?

Oct 25, 2017
I think my favorite bit of Yo-kai Watch mismanagement is Yo-kai Watch World. A mobile game similar to Pokemon Go where you explore your area, befriend Yo-kai and battle with them.
You can tell they wanted this to be a worldwide game because the game's logo was in English rather than Japanese (and YW has two different logos for both).
And yet after months of no news, we wondered what happened.
Turns out Level-5 were trying to find a publisher, and nobody bit.
This amazes me. You wanted to release game specifically for worldwide markets, and you didn't try to find a publisher until after its Japanese launch?! No wonder your company is burning.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i dont really see how its a bad business decision

i dunno how much the porting costs will be but im sure they'll make it back and have a new audience to sell future games to