• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It finally happened. They are going to milk it to the last drop and then jump to he next franchise so they can do it all over again.
g0y6ulgd0o011.png

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh interesting. Hope I can see more Nintendo exclusives appear on Playstation in the future.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
Console warriors are in full force in here. LOL @ desperation.
Someone please tell me why it doesn't make sense for YW4 to be a multiplat if Nintendo isn't funding the project...

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS4 exclusive = ATLUS is stupid
Switch exclusive goes multiplat = Level 5 is stupid

I think there's a common theme here
People complain about SMTV not being multiplat and Persona not being on PC too. I think it's fine, Atlus prefers to focus on exclusives and that is indeed working for them. It's annoying that people still portbeg P5 for Switch.

Level 5's case is that they are barely able to release any games (Inazuma Ares is delayed for like a year already), everything is delayed or quietly cancelled and whatever is released has serious problems that they aren't even fixing, YW4 on Switch runs horribly and has like 100 monsters (that they had to force a lot to get to, considering they're counting human characters as monsters), like 500 monsters down from YW3. They're also selling basic stuff like online play as paid DLC.

They're a mess. (also YW1 port for Switch was also called desperation)

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Someone please tell me why it doesn't make sense for YW4 to be a multiplat if Nintendo isn't funding the project...
well in japan the ps4 is on a decline and so is the series. the show is dead in the u.s, they should've done this sooner then later imo

Zarckoh

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico
If people have noticed games like Octopath Traveler getting ported didn't get the same reaction. This has more to do with the current management of Yokai Watch and Level 5 latest moves.

If this was a port of Anthem to the Switch the reaction would be similar with a lot of "it will run like shit" of course.

Oct 25, 2017
People complain about SMTV not being multiplat and Persona not being on PC too. I think it's fine, Atlus prefers to focus on exclusives and that is indeed working for them. It's annoying that people still portbeg P5 for Switch.

Level 5's case is that they are barely able to release any games (Inazuma Ares is delayed for like a year already), everything is delayed or quietly cancelled and whatever is released has serious problems that they aren't even fixing, YW4 on Switch runs horribly and has like 100 monsters (that they had to force a lot to get to, considering they're counting human characters as monsters), like 500 monsters down from YW3. They're also selling basic stuff like online play as paid DLC.

They're a mess. (also YW1 port for Switch was also called desperation)

Exactly this.
They're trying to salvage the franchise they milked to the ground as much as they can.
Oh and the mobile game that was doing so well for them? Puni Puni? That's gone down in revenue too.

Normally I'm not one to champion buyouts, but I feel like Level-5 would be way better off if another company bought them up. Not Nintendo, but like Bamco or Square-Enix.

Jan 10, 2018
I don't think is a bad move so namco and Bethesda are stupid by trowing Doom and dark souls on the switch that had zero audience. Maybe the IP is not the same that was years ago but is a risk and maybe can gain the money of the port and make more games in the future for both plataforma.

The Switch main audience are 20 30somethings and Nintendo directly targeted them with their ads and Zelda. You are a bit out of loop.

Oct 25, 2017
My main complaint about this maneuver isn't that PS4 is getting Yokai Watch 4, is that they're going into this without any established base at all. They haven't announced the YW1 port going to PS4 either so that's a misstep.

That said, no one is actually angry at Yokai Watch 4 going to PS4. This is just a theme with Yokai Watch in general and how Level 5 is still recovering from consolidating most of their efforts in the early 2010s to mobile and being late to the mark on every franchise they've had that wasn't Ni no Kuni. Yokai Watch 4 on PS4 will not bomb because it's no longer a Nintendo-centric franchise.

It'll be because Level 5 squandered everything that made it a phenomenon.

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
Cool! Is YW4 any good? I tried the demo of Yokai Watch 1 on 3DS and didn't like the battle system at all.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly this.
They're trying to salvage the franchise they milked to the ground as much as they can.
Oh and the mobile game that was doing so well for them? Puni Puni? That's gone down in revenue too.

Normally I'm not one to champion buyouts, but I feel like Level-5 would be way better off if another company bought them up. Not Nintendo, but like Bamco or Square-Enix.
What does L5 even bring to the table? They ran their franchises into the ground.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017

The series is in a horrible decline in Japan.

The anime (an important promotional tool) is losing ratings. The game also went from a million seller to a sub-300K one. And that's on the console where its base is found.

PS4 won't save it. There's no one there to buy it. That's why its a desperate move, as the IP is getting devalued fast.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A PS4 release would make sense if they actually tried to have a more timelly worldwide release (its not gonna sell much better than the switch version in japan), but sinc its going to come to the rest of the world like in a year and half after Japan, its its gonna be dead on arrival

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
well in japan the ps4 is on a decline and so is the series. the show is dead in the u.s, they should've done this sooner then later imo
PS4 and Switch have about the same install base in Japan.
The series is in ahorrible decline in Japan.

It went from a million seller to a sub-300K one. And that's on the console where its base is found.
So a series in the decline going multiplat is a bad thing? This makes no sense...

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018

Don't see many people complaining in the way of a "console warrior". Level 5 just ran this series into the ground and smashed it under their boot. Multiplat is a good thing, but it is a show that Level5 is trying to do anything to save the series with such a late port after it didn't sell well initially.

The games may be good. But they didn't expect the popularity of Pokémon out of the gate and didn't know how to manage the popularity when it happened. They flooded the market and it resulted in the huge decline we see today in the series.

Oct 25, 2017
So a series in the decline going multiplat is a bad thing? This makes no sense...
The bad thing is them being so late about it. If they wanted to go multiplat the best thing they could've done with their franchise was to do it all at once. Especially since they aren't beholden to any Nintendo exclusivity deals at all.

Jan 10, 2018
PS4 exclusive = ATLUS is stupid
Switch exclusive goes multiplat = Level 5 is stupid

I think there's a common theme here

You feel rightfully persecuted by Reseteras hivemind, putting the evil conglomorate Nintendo over the lovable underdog Sony, but the idea that Level 5 is missmanaging their IPs isn't something that came up just now.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017

That doesn't really mean much. Switch software is selling better.

Which is part of the problem. If Switch YW4 is not even doing well, then what chance does the PS4 port have?

Not really bad, but it's pointless.

The series was selling well because it had a solid anime to promote it (kinda like the original Pokemon), but now the series suffers from oversaturation and the children that bought the games have moved on.

Level 5 actually invested heavily in Yo-kai Watch themed stores and mobile games. They're all flopping, to the point the stores closed and some of the mobile games were discontinued.

This is just as desperate as the YW1 Switch port announced a month ago.

Read more here.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
That said about the PS4 port, looks like it's still running at 30 fps. There's not enough footage to know if it'll be unstable like it is on Switch, though I doubt it would be.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
all this word of level 5 being on fire is news to me, likely because I dont pay attention to them

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
One is double the age of the other.

The bad thing is them being so late about it. If they wanted to go multiplat the best thing they could've done with their franchise was to do it all at once. Especially since they aren't beholden to any Nintendo exclusivity deals at all.
It also would have helped worldwide if localization had been closer to launch. They need to actually localize the damn game.

jiggle

Dec 23, 2017
Oh good
Will finally give the franchise a try
They are really good in puzzle & dragons

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
It's amazing how poorly Level 5 handled Yokai Watch series. I wanted to buy Yokai Watch 3 but it was never even stocked locally. By the time it showed up on Amazon it was listed at $80.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I didn't even realise Yokai Watch 3 got localised. I kinda gave up with how they handled the localisation of these games back when Yokai Watch 1 took 3 years to come out here.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017

They don't. And by the time this comes out, they certainly won't.

It just seems like a bad business decision when there is no one really asking for it on PS4 in Japan, where are the sales going to come from? The only reason to even think about putting it on PS4 (and why not Xbox and PC too) would be for the west but Nintendo publishes the games in the west so who knows on that.

They should have tried having it as a multiplat when it released on Switch. They haven't announced the first game for PS4 either to help ease the PS4 userbase into YW. Not to mention they have another game lost in development hell with multiple delays.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
There's a bizarre level of hate for Level-5 from JP sales Era that I don't really understand.
No one is angry.

Level-5 mismanaged their IPs and business over the last several years to the point that they're in bad shape. This late PS4 port announcement in that sense feels like a desperation move to recoup what they can instead of a thought-out, intentioned multiplatform release.

That's all there is to it.