• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
One would assume that Level-5 would try to secure the necessary funding to handle the localization themselves if they had an interest in bringing it over on both systems. In that instance, I doubt Nintendo would have any problems picking it up for publishing on the Switch, as we saw with Dragon Quest Builders 2, but the question becomes how the PS4 version would be handled in terms of publishing. Does Bamco pick it up like they did for Ni no Kuni, or does it skew too young for their brand? Do they pursue another publisher altogether? Do they take the option of self-publishing it digitally and forgo a physical release altogether? There's a lot of variables there that make the path forward for the PS4 version a lot trickier outside of Japan, and I don't know what would be a good option for them this late in the game.
Yeah. This news was announced after the confirmation of Yokai Watch 4 being localized so I'm not sure if they are planning to bring the PS4 version would it be an even later release than the localized Switch version or not.

Though we still don't have the localized Snack World game yet, even though it was supposed to be released this year or last.

The movies are all over the place after the first.
The second is an anthology with four short stories and a fifth longer one. At least it has Lord Enma.
The third incorporates live-action. I have no idea how they would have localized that one.
The fourth is the introduction to Shadowside which was important to the fourth game and lead to a spin-off anime (that only lasted 49 episodes before going back to the original series)
The fifth is a prequel to the franchise that also takes place during the time travel of the first movie. It's also important to the fourth game.

The fact you need two movies in order to help with the story of the video game is NOT A GOOD THING
Intertwining your multimedia franchises like that is a really dumb move. They should have learned from Pokemon in keeping all of their manga, anime, and games as separate universes that stands on their own.

Deleted member 38706

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 19, 2018
It seems that a huge chunk of context is being deliberately thrown out the window by some of the users here. Comparing YW4 to Skyrim or Doom on Switch is inane. The latter games are blockbuster games that can easily find a new audience on a different platform by offering a unique experience (portability). YW4 is a game that has flopped on its target platform and has an audience mismatch with the PS platform. Not a surprise to see the difference in reaction when they are two separate circumstances. I cannot believe my eyes when I read people mocking the Media Create threads.

As much as the general Era user hate MC threads because they perceive it to be filled with fanboy drivel and conspiracy theories, the reality is that a lot of the speculation and stances are backed up by actual sales data. Switch = strong software sales = should have more 3rd party support. Nothing out of ordinary. Even in this thread, people are still following a logical stance. YW4 = flop/abandoned by main audience = will flop on platform with no audience. You have to be kidding me to make fun of this logic. It simply boils down to "game is successful = port will do well on other platforms" and "game flopped = port can't save it especially if audience is mismatched". If you disagree with this logic, then please explain to me how one should interpret data? Because I think I don't get it.

And despite the contempt for port-begging from Switch owners, the behavior itself is actually more understandable if you see from sales standpoint. If we have to talk about the exclusives situation, then we all know the PS4 has the most console exclusives this generation. While Level-5 is going multi-platform, Atlus, Spike Chunsoft, and Falcom are still clinging hard onto their PS loyalty. Compile Heart has moved an inch, and it still remains to be seen where they'll take their future Neptunia games. Considering that the Japanese industry itself heavily favors a single platform with no regards to sales data (Bamco and Capcom failing to deliver Switch support), it makes 10x more sense to see people question their decisions. People call Switch owners "entitled", but "strong software sales = more support" is sound logic. If you say that YW4 deserves to be on PS4 even if it's a complete flop, then isn't that even more entitled? At least one makes business sense, but the other does not.

So if you're coming into this thread to start a flame war with "Nintendo diehards", I think you should reflect on your stance first - especially Champion. There is a lot of contradictions and hypocrisy at play here. If people truly support multi-platform games, then I sincerely ask you to support other platforms as well. If all you do is come here to talk about why every game should go to the PS4, then you aren't truly supporting multi-platform games -- you're supporting exclusives moving to the PS4. There is a huge difference. You should also be aware AND be against how the industry treats NOT just the Switch, but also Xbox and PC. Honestly, if you're the type to laugh at JP developers porting to Xbox (such as the Nier port), then I gotta ask why you have a different standard when it comes to the platform you like. I'm discussing all this because it makes no sense you would call others a fanboy yet you yourself operate on fanboy logic. Understand that people have been shit talking YW4 and Level-5 long ago.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Good move I think by Level-5.

The IP is in such a clear and fast downwards spyral that is essentially already dead, so they are milking the cow before it runs dry.

I expect the next few years to have ports of 3DS games and quick cash grabs with reused assets to seal the deal.

I also don't think this is ever going to be localized now that the series went multiplatform as Nintendo is not going to pay for it again, but at this point it doesn't even matter consireding the future.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
Good move I think by Level-5.

The IP is in such a clear and fast downwards spyral that is essentially already dead, so they are milking the cow before it runs dry.

I expect the next few years to have ports of 3DS games and quick cash grabs with reused assets to seal the deal.

I also don't think this is ever going to be localized now that the series went multiplatform as Nintendo is not going to pay for it again, but at this point it doesn't even matter consireding the future.
I wonder if 4 will even get localized
They announced the localization at AX of this year. Though that was for the Switch version.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This seems a dumb move imo, they might lose Nintendo help for localization for what? I dont see it having a public on PS4

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think they wouldn't release this on PS4 if they didn't plan a Western release also.
Who would pick this game to publish? Nintendo published it before, so it being released on PS4 too would mean that the publisher changed and without Nintendo help it will sell much worse than the 3DS games did

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
There's a bizarre level of hate for Level-5 from JP sales Era that I don't really understand.

People definitely not understanding how the kids game market works.

In fact Level 5 is able to keep their franchises alive longer than usual. They're pretty good at it. Kids franchises, as anyone working in the industry knows, are very short-lived. That's because kids chase the next big thing. Mega-sellers like Pokémon and Minecraft are the exception, not the rule.

Think about how much Skylanders last before completely disappearing, for example. Or kids franchises from Japan that were huge back then like Medarot, Yu-gi-oh or Mini4WD. Sure, they might keep living but they are now focusing on nostalgia and a more adult, limited, audience.

The only issue about Level-5 right now is that they haven't planned anything to substitute Yo-kai Watch which is definitely fading.

Last edited:

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
People definitely not understanding how the kids game market works.

In fact Level 5 is able to keep their franchises alive longer than usual. They're pretty good at it. Kids franchises, as anyone working in the industry knows, are very short-lived. That's because kids chase the next big thing. Mega-sellers like Pokémon and Minecraft are the exception, not the rule.

Think about how much Skylanders last before completely disappearing, for example. Or kids franchises from Japan that were huge back then like Medarot, Yu-gi-oh or Mini4WD. Sure, they might keep living but they are now focusing on nostalgia and a more adult, limited, audience.

The only issue about Level-5 right now is that they haven't planned anything to substitute Yo-kai Watch which is definitely fading.
It's already faded. L5's problem is that none of their new properties other than YW have taken off, that declining, and massive delays. They've spent the past few years trying to revive Layton and IE with them now even bringing back Ushiro.

Deleted member 59

Should run and look better at least. I don't own a ps4 so I'll still buy on switch if both are localised, unless it gets PC treatment too in West.

Oct 27, 2017
How is this possible?

How do they go from creating the biggest phenomenon in Japan since Pokemon with Yokai Watch, to crashing and burning in so little time? What went wrong?

I'm scared for my man Layton too, I don't want his house to burn down.
They always do this. They build a huge franchise then run it into the ground by releasing game after game after game until they make another huge hit... But what happens if they can't make that next hit?

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
at least should run better than the switch version, but if the game flopped on switch i can't imagine what the ps4 version's sales must be like

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
lmao why the downvotes? it's always a good thing for games to be on more platforms.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think I have ever seen a game going muiltiplatform and read reactions like: desperate! the series is dead! lol.

Anyways, if this is as brain dead easy as NNK2, then a big pass.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not that surprising. The game didn't do well on Switch in Japan.

The series is losing popularity and they are going to try to milk what they can out of it to re-coup and find a new franchise. I doubt this does significant numbers anywhere.
22./20. [NSW] Yo-kai Watch 4: We Are Looking Up at the Same Sky <RPG> (Level 5) {2019.06.20} (¥5.980) - 2.171 / 266.127 <80-100%> (-27%)

I dont think its that bad. sure the series is loosing popularity but the game also has demonstrated some legs and nintendo evergreens can achieve impressive numbers in the longrun.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
22./20. [NSW] Yo-kai Watch 4: We Are Looking Up at the Same Sky <RPG> (Level 5) {2019.06.20} (¥5.980) - 2.171 / 266.127 <80-100%> (-27%)

I dont think its that bad. sure the series is loosing popularity but the game also has demonstrated some legs and nintendo evergreens can achieve impressive numbers in the longrun.
That's less than a 1/5th of what YW3 did excluding the third version, which sold 768k on it's own.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
It's already faded. L5's problem is that none of their new properties other than YW have taken off, that declining, and massive delays. They've spent the past few years trying to revive Layton and IE with them now even bringing back Ushiro.

Inazuma Eleven was a big franchise, in Europe too. As 99% of kids franchises it faded because kids move to the next big thing. It is too early to revive Inazuma Eleven riding on nostalgia.

That's the kids market. Franchises are usually short lived and peak and collapse relatively early on. It's not Level-5. In fact Level-5 was pretty good in squeezing their properties as much as they can.

People see the amount of games released in a short span of time as a bad strategy thinking that this will lead to a diminishing value of the franchise (over saturation). In fact, it is the opposite: the franchise will fade anyway and the company tries to sell as much as they can in the limited time the franchise is still hot. That's a known strategy in the kids market sector.

Pokémon is basically the only exception along with Minecraft. But even Pokémon recently have been skewing towards a more adult audience as demo data by Nintendo showed.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The way Level-5 has handled this franchise's transition from 3DS is mind-boggling. If you're going to take it multiplatform, which is a totally sensible move, you probably shouldn't fuck up the launch of the game by putting it out in the state it was released in and then following it up with a late port I don't know how much later. Wonder what this means for their Nintendo publishing agreement as well.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
A good move for Level 5 since the game and IP could use every extra copy sold. I assume this happened because they aren't working with Nintendo for Western releases anymore.

I've been wondering why Nintendo hasn't been really promoting the game in Directs or the lack of system bundles - the companies def. aren't as close as they used to be last gen....probably because Level 5 didn't pledge any Switch support during it's launch and was all mobile x PS4 until they realised that Switch was being a success.

Oct 25, 2017
I think what few realized is how much the series has declined.
Here are the sales numbers from Game Data Library

3DS Yo-kai Watch 52.901 1.332.971 11/07/2013
3DS Yo-kai Watch 2: Bony Spirits / Fleshy Souls 1.281.096 3.257.917 10/07/2014
3DS Yo-kai Watch 2: Psychic Specters 1.211.918 2.699.208 13/12/2014
3DS Yo-Kai Watch Busters: Red Cat Team / White Dog Squad 688.386 2.237.342 11/07/2015
3DS Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sushi / Tempura 581.191 1.522.304 16/06/2016
3DS Yo-Kai Watch 3: Sukiyaki 333.240 768.604 15/12/2016
3DS Yo-kai Watch Busters 2: Hihou Legend Banbarayaa - Sword / Magnum 216.302 526.699 16/12/2017
SWI Yo-kai Watch 4 150.721 281.057 20/06/2019

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
Is the Switch version at least releasing in the west? The PS4 would obviously never see the light of day on these shores...

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Trying to save YW series, not sure it's gonna be of any help. Is there really an audience for it? We'll se..

But if I'm wrong and it helps Level-5 and YW this is good news.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I always wanted monster Hunter and this to come to the ps4. My wishes have come through!

Deleted member 41183

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
There's no way they can do that, it's already kind of absurd how many different characters you can play in combat.

100 in a monster collection RPG is kinda low, no matter how you slice it, and that's like 1/8 of the total. No one asked them for Ni No Kuni combat, either, so imo it's not worth it if it meant having such a relatively small number.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it seems very icky how people diss media create threads, as if numbers and facts are somehow a bad thing. it's as if people have convinced themselves the numbers that support switch being the market leader are "fake news".
the reaction here has nothing to do with console wars or other bs, to anyone who has been following the downward spiral of level 5, this is just another step in their decline, and it's quite amusing to see how far this series has fallen considering it went from being a multi-million seller to now selling 200k on switch with a ps4 port coming to maybe add 20 or 30k to that. you'll see people always calling out level-5's weird moves, most recently in porting YW1 to switch, and won't really see people calling other previously exclusive switch games coming to other platforms as desperate moves, examples being octopath traveler, super bomberman r, hollow knight (console exclusive), etc.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like a good Pokémon substitute for PS4 players. Is this coming to the West?

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
Good. Unless companies get money from Nintendo, they should strive not to make exclusives. Release it on more platforms.