• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It seems that a huge chunk of context is being deliberately thrown out the window by some of the users here. Comparing YW4 to Skyrim or Doom on Switch is inane. The latter games are blockbuster games that can easily find a new audience on a different platform by offering a unique experience (portability). YW4 is a game that has flopped on its target platform and has an audience mismatch with the PS platform. Not a surprise to see the difference in reaction when they are two separate circumstances. I cannot believe my eyes when I read people mocking the Media Create threads.

As much as the general Era user hate MC threads because they perceive it to be filled with fanboy drivel and conspiracy theories, the reality is that a lot of the speculation and stances are backed up by actual sales data. Switch = strong software sales = should have more 3rd party support. Nothing out of ordinary. Even in this thread, people are still following a logical stance. YW4 = flop/abandoned by main audience = will flop on platform with no audience. You have to be kidding me to make fun of this logic. It simply boils down to "game is successful = port will do well on other platforms" and "game flopped = port can't save it especially if audience is mismatched". If you disagree with this logic, then please explain to me how one should interpret data? Because I think I don't get it.

And despite the contempt for port-begging from Switch owners, the behavior itself is actually more understandable if you see from sales standpoint. If we have to talk about the exclusives situation, then we all know the PS4 has the most console exclusives this generation. While Level-5 is going multi-platform, Atlus, Spike Chunsoft, and Falcom are still clinging hard onto their PS loyalty. Compile Heart has moved an inch, and it still remains to be seen where they'll take their future Neptunia games. Considering that the Japanese industry itself heavily favors a single platform with no regards to sales data (Bamco and Capcom failing to deliver Switch support), it makes 10x more sense to see people question their decisions. People call Switch owners "entitled", but "strong software sales = more support" is sound logic. If you say that YW4 deserves to be on PS4 even if it's a complete flop, then isn't that even more entitled? At least one makes business sense, but the other does not.

So if you're coming into this thread to start a flame war with "Nintendo diehards", I think you should reflect on your stance first - especially Champion. There is a lot of contradictions and hypocrisy at play here. If people truly support multi-platform games, then I sincerely ask you to support other platforms as well. If all you do is come here to talk about why every game should go to the PS4, then you aren't truly supporting multi-platform games -- you're supporting exclusives moving to the PS4. There is a huge difference. You should also be aware AND be against how the industry treats NOT just the Switch, but also Xbox and PC. Honestly, if you're the type to laugh at JP developers porting to Xbox (such as the Nier port), then I gotta ask why you have a different standard when it comes to the platform you like. I'm discussing all this because it makes no sense you would call others a fanboy yet you yourself operate on fanboy logic. Understand that people have been shit talking YW4 and Level-5 long ago.
well said

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It seems that a huge chunk of context is being deliberately thrown out the window by some of the users here. Comparing YW4 to Skyrim or Doom on Switch is inane. The latter games are blockbuster games that can easily find a new audience on a different platform by offering a unique experience (portability). YW4 is a game that has flopped on its target platform and has an audience mismatch with the PS platform. Not a surprise to see the difference in reaction when they are two separate circumstances. I cannot believe my eyes when I read people mocking the Media Create threads.

As much as the general Era user hate MC threads because they perceive it to be filled with fanboy drivel and conspiracy theories, the reality is that a lot of the speculation and stances are backed up by actual sales data. Switch = strong software sales = should have more 3rd party support. Nothing out of ordinary. Even in this thread, people are still following a logical stance. YW4 = flop/abandoned by main audience = will flop on platform with no audience. You have to be kidding me to make fun of this logic. It simply boils down to "game is successful = port will do well on other platforms" and "game flopped = port can't save it especially if audience is mismatched". If you disagree with this logic, then please explain to me how one should interpret data? Because I think I don't get it.

And despite the contempt for port-begging from Switch owners, the behavior itself is actually more understandable if you see from sales standpoint. If we have to talk about the exclusives situation, then we all know the PS4 has the most console exclusives this generation. While Level-5 is going multi-platform, Atlus, Spike Chunsoft, and Falcom are still clinging hard onto their PS loyalty. Compile Heart has moved an inch, and it still remains to be seen where they'll take their future Neptunia games. Considering that the Japanese industry itself heavily favors a single platform with no regards to sales data (Bamco and Capcom failing to deliver Switch support), it makes 10x more sense to see people question their decisions. People call Switch owners "entitled", but "strong software sales = more support" is sound logic. If you say that YW4 deserves to be on PS4 even if it's a complete flop, then isn't that even more entitled? At least one makes business sense, but the other does not.

So if you're coming into this thread to start a flame war with "Nintendo diehards", I think you should reflect on your stance first - especially Champion. There is a lot of contradictions and hypocrisy at play here. If people truly support multi-platform games, then I sincerely ask you to support other platforms as well. If all you do is come here to talk about why every game should go to the PS4, then you aren't truly supporting multi-platform games -- you're supporting exclusives moving to the PS4. There is a huge difference. You should also be aware AND be against how the industry treats NOT just the Switch, but also Xbox and PC. Honestly, if you're the type to laugh at JP developers porting to Xbox (such as the Nier port), then I gotta ask why you have a different standard when it comes to the platform you like. I'm discussing all this because it makes no sense you would call others a fanboy yet you yourself operate on fanboy logic. Understand that people have been shit talking YW4 and Level-5 long ago.

I mean I see what you're saying, definitely, but I'm not sure why this doesn't make business sense. By your own words, and many others in here, Yokai Watch is a shadow of it's former self and YW4 didn't do too hot. Considering the production values (suggesting a significant budget increase compared to last games) and that Level 5 also has at least some kind of audience on PS4, it doesn't make business sense to remain stagnant on the Switch despite the platform itself being successful.

YW4 being a Switch exclusive clearly hasn't moved the needle. They have to try something, and I doubt this decision was made on a whim either. After all, what makes business sense is at least trying to diversify your reach through multiplatform support. So there's some hypocrisy in your logic there.

On the media create threads - I've had a lot of bad experiences in there myself stretching back to the GAF days. I remember being treated like some kind of idiot for daring to suggest that Monster Hunter would make its way back to console, and that it would make business sense, to the point where people who had seen that heat brought up my 'vindication' in the World announcement thread on GAF. Whether it's Nintendo fanboyism or just pure arrogance, they're not welcoming threads and the community that's been built up in there deserves criticism. Y'all have no sympathy from me.

Last edited:

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
User banned (3 days): platform warring, prior ban for similar behaviour
Nintendo fanboys can get really damn salty. This is good news for people who play games.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
If it makes them more money than cost of releasing on ps4(port+marketing) then good for them. More profit is always good for any business.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh yay. How... exciting? Wonder if it'll see a UK release. I doubt it somehow.

Deleted member 40102

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Wow that's actually good news for the series going forward!!

One more thing , they need to step up their game and do world wide release on both platform if they ever want their frenchise growing up.

Same way monster hunter did.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I fail to see what's the point of this. The game failed to recapture its audience on Switch in Japan because of how late it came compared to previous titles. I don't really see how a late port would improve anything, unless they'll be happy with the 50k it'll sell?

Level 5 really is hard to follow these days.

Atram

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

One more thing , they need to step up their game and do world wide release on both platform if they ever want their frenchise growing up.

Doubt that this Franchise will ever grow again. It's to late for growth, even if they released it on any platform available that exists.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
YW4 was already chasing a more mature audience so on their part it's a smart move. I don't think it will move many units but at least they tried. I have a feeling, though, that the game will increase its legs once the Switch Lite is out.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
User warned: platform wars
Yikes at that first page.

Desperate because it's coming to another console? Yet somehow if it's the other way around "this game is perfect for the x" will be filling the thread.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I fail to see what's the point of this. The game failed to recapture its audience on Switch in Japan because of how late it came compared to previous titles. I don't really see how a late port would improve anything, unless they'll be happy with the 50k it'll sell?

Level 5 really is hard to follow these days.

Between a delay and the other they milk IPs to death. It's not hard to see sadly.

Atram

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

Desperate because it's coming to another console? Yet somehow if it's the other way around "this game is perfect for the x" will be filling the thread.

This comment would had made sense 5-7 years ago. But at the actual state of this IP...nah

After IE going multi, this makes sense for L5

Deleted member 40102

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Doubt that this Franchise will ever grow again. It's to late for growth, even if they released it on any platform available that exists.
I don't really think it's too late.

If they actually make a good game and release it world wide with the right marketing for the right audiance it will do decent job and from their they will build their reputation going forward.

It depends on how they handle this really it's never too late to grow their frenchise tho.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
It's not going to sell much on PS4 but porting it also won't cost much, so there'll likely still be a net benefit at the end of the day.

However, it's quite telling about Level 5's current state that they feel the need to bind resources on a port that in all likelihood won't exceed 50k in sales. Ever since Yokai Watch dropped in popularity sharply, they weren't able to find new successes. Their mobile endeavours either failed or were plagued by endless delays, their new franchises didn't move the needle (Snack World) or simply went missing (that new mecha franchise they announced ages ago). They tried to revive dormant franchises either to a tepid response (Layton) or they simply got stuck in development hell (Inazuma Eleven). Inazuma Eleven Ares is likely the biggest blunder of the bunch - it got delayed by over a year, it missed last year's World Cup, it missed the Ares season of the new anime and might even miss the run of the current Inazuma anime alltogether.

Level 5 is mismanaged, unable to get any game out in time, apparently always works on too many titles at once and is unable to find new successes. I really appreciate the flavour they bring to the industry and I really hope they can still manage to turn things around, but at this point I would be far from surprised if they size down or declare bankcruptcy. The old Yokai money can't be infinite.

Atram

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

If they actually make a good game and release it world wide with the right marketing for the right audiance it will do decent job and from their they will build their reputation going forward.

It depends on how they handle this really it's never too late to grow their frenchise tho.

The franchise will never turn again that big like in the old days.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i'm not sure there is a forward for the series to go to. this kind of decline is pretty much the beginning of the end for it. level-5 better hope they can come up with a new big IP soon, as their previous ones are all ran to the ground.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's really sad though. Because you can see that it's just a desperation move. Its already too much

It's really sad, as a big fan of their products, to basically be a bystander till they manage to get their head out of the water. Level 5 in 2006-2016 was a golden age.
yeah it's really sad. only level-5 can manage to have SOO many big IPs (specially for a very young publisher), and then manage to ruin all of them. professor layton, inzuma eleven, little battlers, yokai watch, ni no kuni, all of those were promising IPs but now it's almost guaranteed that none of them can produce games that sell as much as they used to.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Tell that to Capcom with Ace Attorney. Sometimes an audience just isn't there. I get the same feeling about this as I did for the AA Trilogy announcement, albeit at least this is a 'new' game unlike with AA.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

it'd be like if they announced mass effect andromeda for switch. i'm sure people would laugh and call it a desperate move as well.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that L5/Hino relied too much on a Cross Media strategy.

It's not that at all. It worked very well on DS/3DS. The issue is that L5 struggles a lot with large scale development nowadays. IE Ares is a fairly simple looking game but has been delayed and delayed for years now, despite showing no apparent jump in quality that would explain it. The last Layton wasn't nearly as good as the previous ones and lacked charm. Ni no Kuni 2 has a terrible reputation here. Yokai Watch 4 was seemingly the one who managed to turn out okay but still got heavily delayed for lackluster launch sales demonstrating the state of the IP. And what did L5 announce since then, to reassure people who still wanted to believe they still got it? A Switch port of YW1 and a PS4 port of YW4.

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PS4 exclusive = ATLUS is stupid
Switch exclusive goes multiplat = Level 5 is stupid

I think there's a common theme here
Absolutely not. One company has a highly desirable and well managed IP that could do even better by appearing on more systems and the other mismanaged all it's core properties for half a decade and is right off the heels of the colossal contraction of it's former biggest IP that is squarely aimed at a demographic that is completely absent on the PS4. Nobody is angry at it existing, people are pointing the finger at L5's years of incompetence, poor planning and doubt it will do all that well.

Hypocrisy doesn't exist just because you Playstation folks want to will it into existence.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if Nintendo or sony would step up if level 5 goes down
i doubt it, as their IPs aren't worth much anymore and their publishing arm would be superfluous for them. i can see one of the big publishers (bamco, SE, KT, etc) picking them up for their personnel tho.

I disagree they have good ips especially for a young audience they need better management
they HAD good IPs. they're not worth much anymore. at this point i doubt anyone can make a new layton, yokai watch, inazuma eleven, etc that can be a massive hit.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They should give playstation 1-3 first right or is 4 like a reboot or something.

4 is a celebration game, where you can revisit the worlds and characters of the first three games + the movies. You don't *need* to have played anything before to understand and enjoy it, but it's definitely better to be familiarised first. Play at least YW1 id say.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
It's crazy to think that there was a time that Level-5 hosted their own conventions, sold their own consoles, announced game after game, had hit after hit. It's a sad, sad state of affairs.

Megawarrior

Oct 25, 2017
4 is a celebration game, where you can revisit the worlds and characters of the first three games + the movies. You don't *need* to have played anything before to understand and enjoy it, but it's definitely better to be familiarised first. Play at least YW1 id say.
Oh I see. I feel like '4' is kinda...not accurate then if it's like the equivalent of a japanese BEST album.