• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Launching with 109 Yokai and it's Game Freak who should be learning from Level 5? That's rich.

Edit: Which reminds me, how many of those Yokai are even new? Even the "worst" of Pokemon still gave us 72 new Pokemon.
I'm not going to comment on their rest of your post, but I am kinda curious as to how many of the Yo-kai are new.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Visuals are what people see. I don't care about the underlying tech. A game can be far more technically advanced and still look bland next to a game uses its art style and direction to better effect.

That's not the point. The discussion wasn't about which game is nicer to look at, it was specifically about how the larger technological leap made this situation more understandable than the controversy surrounding Sword and Shield. Here's the post again:
2 differences between this and the Pokemon situation -

1. Models were obviously remade, and the game is a very large step up technically and mechanically from the 3DS games
2. Level 5 are outright saying they're adding more later, whereas Gamefreak are saying they've got no plans and future titles probably won't have every Pokemon either

It doesn't matter whether you prefer the way Pokemon looks for the sake of this discussion, what matters is which of the two is a bigger leap from a tech standpoint? And the answer is Yo-kai Watch 4.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Launching with 109 Yokai and it's Game Freak who should be learning from Level 5? That's rich.

Edit: Which reminds me, how many of those Yokai are even new? Even the "worst" of Pokemon still gave us 72 new Pokemon.
That's still to be determined. They only announced 12 or so new ones via their regular updates iirc, but there could be more than that. Though technically they're all "new" in a way since all the models are remade from scratch and each Yokai is playable in real time with their own unique animations, and some having multiple playable forms.
EDIT: Also the 109 doesn't include the playable human characters. Touma and Akinori for example also have multiple forms as well. And of course many of the playable Yokai have both Shadowside and Lightside forms, so it's double for some.

Last edited:

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
The devs for yokai watch have kept this information secret untill launchday. Pretty smart actually because if the game is great no one will complain. Gamefreak should have probably done the same

they literally did that with ORAS and XY's postgame and it pissed people off. They got roped into buying the games only for them to not be complete experiences (at least in the case of XY, they never had an expectation. ORAS NEEDED the frontier or Tower and we got nothing but a copy of the XY maison with only one edit. I know I felt ripped off when I got to that part of the game)

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
If we cut out the color-swap yokai, the American ones and the historical ones, but we add in the new ones, that actually still leaves a good amount more than 109 yokai. Makes you wonder which ones will have to wait until later to be added.

OP
OP
DanarchyReigns
Oct 25, 2017
We do know that Damona (swap of Blizzaria) and Goldenyan (swap of Robonyan) are in. The latter even being a giveaway in Coro Coro.
And it's likely Azure Dragon (swap of Dragon Lord) is in due to his importance in the story, assuming that the Azure Dragon of the original games and the Seiryu (his Japanese name) of Shadowside are the same being.
So yeah, pallete swaps are still around.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I can understand this with how the battle system works now at least. How many did the original Ni No Kuni have, since it's kind of comparable in terms of scale?

EDIT: A bit over 300, but there's 4 palette swaps of each, so... ~75. Seems about right.
That's still to be determined. They only announced 12 or so new ones via their regular updates iirc, but there could be more than that. Though technically they're all "new" in a way since all the models are remade from scratch and each Yokai is playable in real time with their own unique animations, and some having multiple playable forms.
EDIT: Also the 109 doesn't include the playable human characters. Touma and Akinori for example also have multiple forms as well. And of course many of the playable Yokai have both Shadowside and Lightside forms, so it's double for some.
Ooooh, so this doesn't include forms either.