• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
According to this video at the launch, and translated in this Reddit post.

Only 109 Yo-kai will be available in the base game, and they'll be adding more over time.

Disappointing yet understandable. This is a massive leap from the 3DS, with an all new battle system, a rebuilt Springdale (alongside multiple other areas), though I have to wonder what the development plan was. At what point did they basically make it GaaS like Splatoon?
I hope updates are frequent. I can't imagine it would take too long to get all 109.

Pikagreg

Feb 5, 2018
I feel like people would be a lot less mad about Pokemon if they were this clear about their own future updates

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
You mean they're using patches to make up for their reduced capacity as a result of switching to HD? Who would've thought?

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
2 differences between this and the Pokemon situation -

1. Models were obviously remade, and the game is a very large step up technically and mechanically from the 3DS games
2. Level 5 are outright saying they're adding more later, whereas Gamefreak are saying they've got no plans and future titles probably won't have every Pokemon either

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
You mean they're using patches to make up for their reduced capacity as a result of switching to HD? Who would've thought?
Keep in mind that YW4 has gone through more than one extensive delay. If 109 is all they could manage for launch, I'm curious what sort of fires their dev resources were tied up with.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017

1. Models were obviously remade, and the game is a very large step up technically and mechanically from the 3DS games
2. Level 5 are outright saying they're adding more later, whereas Gamefreak are saying they've got no plans and future titles probably won't have every Pokemon either

Where is the difference with pokemon in point 1..?

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Mind you, Yokai Watch is more like Digimon in that they have a lot of recolours, copy pastes, and other various dumpster fire monsters.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously they are just lazy and incompetent devs and the franchise should be handed to another team

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
There were 698 in Yo-kai Watch 3 (752 if you count bosses)
Busters 2 added around 30 or so
Of course this game will add a lot of new ones.
So maybe around 800 if they add Yo-kai featured in Puni Puni only, also the Sangokushi variants.
But Busters 2 wasn't developed by Level-5 so we can't use that game as a reference.

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017
Level 5 does what Gamefreak don't.

This is a very clear message and supporting patches is excellent.

Wise

Oct 27, 2017

Pokemon sword and shield look better than yokai 4 visually imo

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Does it have some kind of online multiplayer? If not, I do not understand the interest of once you complete the game return only for the new Yo-kai.

OP
OP
DanarchyReigns
Oct 25, 2017
But Busters 2 wasn't developed by Level-5 so we can't use that game as a reference.

The Yo-kai in it still count.

Can you even trade yokai between gens? I always thought it was a straight JRPG.

Nope. Each game has Nate lose his medallium in some way and start from 0. There are some "bonus" Yo-kai you can get if you have the older games, but you can't transfer old Yo-kai to new games.

Does it have some kind of online multiplayer? If not, I do not understand the interest of once you complete the game return only for the new Yo-kai.

It does. I don't think it's as competitive as Pokemon though.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like people would be a lot less mad about Pokemon if they were this clear about their own future updates
Well there's two fold, People are upset about the pokemon announcement because they said they were not going to add more in future updates, so unlike this supposedly all pokemon going forward will not allow for all of them.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Plus it's important to note a good chunk of Yokai are palette swaps. I can think of dozens off the top of my head, so they account for a lot as well. Plus Level 5 clearly doesn't have a Pokemon level budget.

I wouldn't imagine the backlash if GF released a game with 109 Pokemon at launch lol
When SWSH is keeping the battle system the exact same and reusing several year old models with animations as simple as ever, they sure as hell better not launch with that few. And clear messaging is key here.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

GF said that they were undecided about adding more Pokemon via updates. They never outright said that it's not happening unless I missed something.

wait but

are Yokai Watch fans literally finding out the day of launch?
Yeah, that's one aspect people are ignoring.

Plus it's important to note a good chunk of Yokai are palette swaps. I can think of dozens off the top of my head, so they account for a lot as well. Plus Level 5 clearly doesn't have a Pokemon level budget.

When SWSH is keeping the battle system the exact same and reusing several year old models with animations as simple as ever, they sure as hell better not launch with that few. And clear messaging is key here.
The messaging here isn't exactly good.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018