• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Yeah, Switch was pretty much set in stone for the Yokai games, but like i mentioned in my edited post above, it's more that L5 seems to have different platform strategies for their "main" series, with the next Inazuma being multiplatform iirc. ^^
I head Inazuma Eleven is very popular in Europe (makes sense, since it's football), and in Europe PS4 is by far the biggest system, so that one makes sense in that regard. Yokai Watch was mostly big in France I believe, and in France Nintendo is very big, so I think they have less incentive to bring Yokai Watch to PS4 than they have for Inazuma Eleven.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The switch has exactly the SAME problem vita had. You can't travel with it easily as compared to the clamshell design of the 3ds. Worse those controllers on the side are very fragile. The battery life sucks so besides the huge case to protect the switch you need to bring a battery brick. I got thru PAX east this past week without having to charge during the day my 3ds while doing streetpass. Actually I like the graphics on the 3ds better than the switch...what did he say? Because the text is often scaled too small to read on the handhelds, you need a magnifying glass, the text was scaled for a small screen on the 3ds so its easy to read. They really need to work on that. I talked to some devs about that at PAX and they were also concerned about it for games like RPGs with lots of text to read.

I hope (I know it won't happen) that an updated 3ds with a better display and processor happens. I love my switch. Its great around the house but no way is it useful for everyday travel like the 3ds is. What kills the 3ds is not the switch but the cell phone. I know I have to accept it but man what a great device / family the ds / gameboy is/was.
The Vita never had this problem, the Switch doesn't have it too considering 70% of the userbase uses it portable (30% only/40% docked and undocked).

You're out of luck too if you expect a new DS.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
What is Ryokutya exactly? The article is very brief, doesn't mention any source (unless this is the source itself), and I thought the reveal would be in the next Famitsu? Is it official, or just a report from a site?

Dynheart

Self-requested ban
Oct 31, 2017
So I have never played his series. I also haven't played a poke'mon since the first two (I actually bought the yellow version, that's all I have played). Are these games different enough to play them around the same time (I could only stomach 1 collect-em-all type game in a short period of time , that is if the games are too similar)? Also, do these games have continuity between them (Yokai Watch games)?

I guess if I were to hype/look forward to a series to play, would this series be the series to invest in over poke'mon? I only ask because I wanna play a "catch-em-all" type game and these are the only two series I know of that fit that bill that are on the Nintendo platform.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure that Inazuma Eleven Ares would have been Switch exclusive if they had known of the console's success beforehand.
Pretty much this.
The PS4 move was obv. a failsafe since their was no obv. 3DS succesor for them in sight.

No question that IE Ares Switch will outperform the PS4 version in Japan.

The moment the next mainline Pokemon was announced for Switch it was clear were things were heading in regards of these type of games.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I head Inazuma Eleven is very popular in Europe (makes sense, since it's football), and in Europe PS4 is by far the biggest system, so that one makes sense in that regard. Yokai Watch was mostly big in France I believe, and in France Nintendo is very big, so I think they have less incentive to bring Yokai Watch to PS4 than they have for Inazuma Eleven.

Sounds about right, i guess!

Well, now i just hope that this game doesn't feature those new horrible designs ... i showed them to my two younger kids and ... let's just say they weren't really a fan of those. Something something, there have been scared tears from my youngest one, who played the 3DS games and kinda likes the anime show. ^^

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
996.gif
Lmao

Laplasakos

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Pretty much the same reasons i mentioned as to why the next YW game won't be on PS4.

Still great news. Really curious to see how it looks.

Lusamine

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much this.
The PS4 move was obv. a failsafe since their was no obv. 3DS succesor for them in sight.

No question that IE Ares Switch will outperform the PS4 version in Japan.

The moment the next mainline Pokemon was announced for Switch it was clear were things were heading in regards of these type of games.
I wish at some point we'd know the cost of making a 3DS game versus a Switch one. I know they gotta make the jump, but I also wonder if any game franchises will end up mobile-only or die if there's any left from 3DS era.

NyxKiria

Self-Requested Permanent Ban
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
No surprises here. they said all their main games is coming to Switch going forward

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The switch has exactly the SAME problem vita had. You can't travel with it easily as compared to the clamshell design of the 3ds. Worse those controllers on the side are very fragile. The battery life sucks so besides the huge case to protect the switch you need to bring a battery brick. I got thru PAX east this past week without having to charge during the day my 3ds while doing streetpass. Actually I like the graphics on the 3ds better than the switch...what did he say? Because the text is often scaled too small to read on the handhelds, you need a magnifying glass, the text was scaled for a small screen on the 3ds so its easy to read. They really need to work on that. I talked to some devs about that at PAX and they were also concerned about it for games like RPGs with lots of text to read.

I hope (I know it won't happen) that an updated 3ds with a better display and processor happens. I love my switch. Its great around the house but no way is it useful for everyday travel like the 3ds is. What kills the 3ds is not the switch but the cell phone. I know I have to accept it but man what a great device / family the ds / gameboy is/was.
you know that text can be made bigger? it's up to the devs. hell they could even give the user the choice between different text sizes.
and I really don't know what to say about the fragile joy-con argument, b/c my switch is in my backpack most of the time and there is no damage at all.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I wish at some point we'd know the cost of making a 3DS game versus a Switch one. I know they gotta make the jump, but I also wonder if any game franchises will end up mobile-only or die if there's any left from 3DS era.
Considering the amount of games that release on PS4 in Japan and sell less than 100k, I think plenty of devs can make their low budget games work on current systems.

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017
Uh-oh Pokemon has a challenger, lets see if this game can bring back life to Yokai Watch.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Have you seen how most L5 mobile title performed so far? Also If the game is already developed for mobile there isn't much reason for it not to be on Switch so I don't quite understand that distinction.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No PS4 and/or Mobile?

Surprised if that is the case. I guess schuelma was right about me being too optimistic for them to put everything on PS4 too.

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome! This would be separate to the Yokai Watch darkside thing right? Yokai Watch is one of those games the whole family here enjoys, when 2 came out my kid, my partner and myself all played and traded and stuff, it was a blast.

On a side note, I hope Yokai Watch 3 is still localised for 3ds, would suck for it to slip through the cracks.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Depends. Franchises like Yo-kai Watch already have mobile presence, but with different gameplay and focus. Premium games don't do too hot mobile-wise and it makes more sense to develop exclusive service games for it than just port games as they were on 3DS/Vita.

That said, Hino still wants to release L5 games for mobile, but for now it seems like games will come first to console (Switch and PS4) and then they willl see what they can do.

Deleted member 873

Oct 25, 2017
Finallyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bring it on, Level 5. Please be good. Inazuma Eleven Ares looks incredible, so do not fuck YW up.

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Still waiting the localization of the third game. April was the perfect time to release it like the first two games.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
So is this that new "dark" reboot or the real Yo-Kai Watch?

zjbOyAs.png

Do we get the real Komasan?

wPFwWmD.jpg

Or a dog?

If it's actually yo-kai Watch 4 and not the reboot then this is great news!

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
Sooooo awesome. <3 Yokai Watch. <3 my Switch. It's just <3 all around!

Curious about the transition to the hyprid and the battle system in particular. I'ld hope they keep the slice-of-life, Japanese summer vacation vibe.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Please no...let the 3DS just die. I know it has a big audience, but you get people to go to the next platform by stopping releases on the old one. We don't need games being held back by the 3DS.
Sure.
The kids will just ignore their 99 dollar 2DS, and go purchase a new 299 dollar console... Ok, then.

Anyway, can't wait to see more of this. My little nephew loves Yo-kai Watch.