• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017

UPDATE: It's real. Here's the video itself. There's a small Q/A with Shimomura at the end of it.

ECBym7PWsAAkWXj.jpg

Earlier today, the XXXTentacion estate revealed details of the deluxe anniversary edition of his final album which is being re-released on the September 6, 2019. Among this is a track being done by Yoko Shimomura.

yoko_shimomura2.jpg

Yeah, you heard that right. Yoko Shimomura, famed composer of the Kingdom Hearts franchise and Final Fantasy XV has composed the song "Nocturne" that serves as a tribute to the late XXXTentacion. Kingdom Hearts was XXXTentacion's favourite video game series which is why she's involved. I have no idea if Shimomura was even aware of the things XXXTentacion did in the past but I'm not really going to hold it against her for doing a tribute for him.

bHCiec1.png

EDIT: Okay so the Universal Music Group are claiming in official press releases for this album that it's actually a tribute from Yoko however it's apparently just a slowed down Secret of Mana song she did and that Yoko Shimomura isn't actually associated with this tribute outside of just giving them permission to use the sample. It remains to be seen if this is a full-blown tribute from Shimomura or just something that she wasn't actually involved in. I find it really weird that they're pushing it as if she did this specifically for him when in all likelihood it's just her label signing off on this.

Last edited:

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
What a powerful creative combination. Ready for some godly grace to be poured on us.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
what the fuck lol

EDIT: apparently, the tribute song came out in 2011. They just took an old song and (probably) extended it and slapped tribute on it.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, she didn't make the song for him, he sampled her work. Hell, according to this, it might not even have been him, but someone who just knew what he liked.

That's not the same at all.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I can't wait for people to stop lionizing that dude. I'm assuming it's harder for someone overseas to have followed his entire saga though.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't expect Yoko S to be privy to the details of xxx's criminal cases or his history of domestic violence and violent homophobia. The details of his cases has really only circulated on certain spheres of twitter.

It is what it is.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I mean, she didn't make the song for him, he sampled her work. Hell, according to this, it might not even have been him, but someone who just knew what he liked.

That's not the same at all.
So the label lied about the song being a tribute from her?

uhhhhhhhhh ok

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised to see the amount of people on Era still bumping this lunatic

Death is the one thing we all have in common, and yet somehow it's enough to canonize someone who did unspeakably evil things because he wrote some tracks you liked

Reminds me of everyone riding Scalia's jock when he died, even if they hated him while he was alive

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
So they stole here music and just credited her? Well they better hope she doesn't realize it somehow.

This reads like they stole a song from her but credited her thinking that because it's an overseas project, she'd never find out about it, and the record label wouldn't sue because her name is on it.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Real talk, this is how you get sued.
This industry I tell you, lol.
Whaaaaaaaaaaaat the fuck
What is even going on...

I honestly think it might be legit? Like all press releases of the album specifically state that it's a tribute to him from her. Even the official site says this. Maybe they DID get in contact with her? I have no fucking idea. This thread took a weird turn all of a sudden LOL

W5O5GV9.png

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I honestly think it might be legit? Like all press releases of the album specifically state that it's a tribute to him from her. Even the official site says this. Maybe they DID get in contact with her? I have no fucking idea folks. How did this thread turn into this all of a sudden LOL

W5O5GV9.png

Like, it doesn't actually make sense.

His record label is gonna have to show some receipts for this one. It's too strange to just be like, "oh yeah sure, this woman decided to make a beat for this dude who she probably would only have interacted with through america top 40 exposure, and then that tribute is just a secret of mana song slowed down with an extra drumline under it."

It's way too odd.

It's like saying Utada's "Sanctuary" is a tribute to French Montana because, in the states, Montana will always be more well known that Hikari Utada.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Like, it doesn't actually make sense.

His record label is gonna have to show some receipts for this one. It's too strange to just be like, "oh yeah sure, this woman decided to make a beat for this dude who she probably would only have interacted with through america top 40 exposure, and then that tribute is just a secret of mana song slowed down with an extra drumline under it."

It's way too odd.

It's like saying Utada's "Sanctuary" is a tribute to French Montana because, in the states, Montana will always be more well known that Hikari Utada.
Dude, this really just took a turn for the unexpected, I want someone to get in contact LMAO

The Universal Music Group are really just gonna say that this song was a tribute from her despite her probably never knowing who he even is? Maybe they got permission from her? Aaaaaaaaaaaa I have no idea.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly think it might be legit? Like all press releases of the album specifically state that it's a tribute to him from her. Even the official site says this. Maybe they DID get in contact with her? I have no fucking idea. This thread took a weird turn all of a sudden LOL

W5O5GV9.png

So either

1. They did manage to get in touch with her and at the very least get permission to use the song, and she/they just took a rip and slowed it down.
  2. They just stole the song, slowed it down, and are now just straight-up lying on all fronts about contacting her.