• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
I was getting ready to express my personal disappointment since I truly value Yoko as one of the greatest composers of our time, but if they really just slowed down a .mp3 and called it a day without her knowing it... lol

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
She likely has no clue what it's for. Then again, I know nothing about Yoko Shimomura's personal views so who knows?

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
Well, at the very least I highly doubt it was Shimomura that just slowed the song down and sent it out, lol

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
It sounds to me like she either didn't care enough to put any effort into it or she was only slightly involved if at all.

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dude let's get an update on that thread title since clearly there's a lot of questions and doubts here, it's not even remotely as definitive as the title makes it sound and I'd hate if people just read the title and ran with it.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
I love when era has to do moral gymnastics

Yoko is like a top 3 Composer... nothing changes that for me

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Dude let's get an update on that thread title since clearly there's a lot of questions and doubts here, it's not even remotely as definitive as the title makes it sound and I'd hate if people just read the title and ran with it.
I just got mods to update the title.

Universal Music are claiming it's a tribute from Shimomura and that hasn't changed, we don't however know the extent to the collaboration. She probably just got her agent to sign off on it.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I honestly think it might be legit? Like all press releases of the album specifically state that it's a tribute to him from her. Even the official site says this. Maybe they DID get in contact with her? I have no fucking idea. This thread took a weird turn all of a sudden LOL

W5O5GV9.png

It could be that the "tribute" is the fact that she gave the OK for his estate to use the music (assuming she has the say and not Square). Not everyone allows their music to be licensed to everybody.

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just got mods to update the title.

Universal Music are claiming it's a tribute from Shimomura and that hasn't changed, we don't however know the extent to the collaboration. She probably just got her agent to sign off on it.
Yea I hope we get clarification soon because from where I'm standing I highly doubt she has even an inkling of what her music has been attached to, and at any rate it's clear she didn't "compose music for XXXtentacion" in the sense that the record label implies (i.e. "Shimomura made this tribute track for XXXtentacion").

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I love when era has to do moral gymnastics

Yoko is like a top 3 Composer... nothing changes that for me

What moral gymnastics?

Most of this thread is trying to actually figure out the situation because it's so weird.

Hell, I though maybe XXX's people could have just taken it from an audio pool if they shared the same parent company labels but Yoko is mostly Sony Music and EFI and XXX is Universal.

Nothing about this makes sense, there's no reason why any parties involved would agree to this.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
What is moral gymnastics?

So far this is a story and people are giving their take.
It happens all the time... people love something or someone... someone supposedly does something... and now they have to figure out if they are going to hold someone to values that they have held others to... or make justifications for why said someone is doing something they disagree with. I think it's entertaining that's all.

Most of this thread is trying to actually figure out the situation because it's so weird.
It really is weird

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They just got permission to use a song and slowed it

What a "tribute" lol

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Yea I hope we get clarification soon because from where I'm standing I highly doubt she has even an inkling of what her music has been attached to, and at any rate it's clear she didn't "compose music for XXXtentacion" in the sense that the record label implies (i.e. "Shimomura made this tribute track for XXXtentacion").
Are you cool with this title then?

"Yoko Shimomura allegedly composed a tribute track for XXXTentacion in the anniversary edition of his final album according to Universal Music"

Surakian

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
LOL I am sure her agent said it was fine not knowing they would literally just publish the song slowed down hahaha

ChaserX

Nov 1, 2017
Miami, FL
I got a random theory on this. XXXtentacion like Kingdom Hearts, even had a KH3 Sora figure he posted on his Snapchat (saw picture on the KH subreddit and learned the former info from a former co-worker). Someone saw that Yoko composed for the KH series and picked a sad sounding song made by her, not knowing the song wasn't from KH, and added more instruments to it.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I got a random theory on this. XXXtentacion like Kingdom Hearts, even had a KH3 Sora figure he posted on his Snapchat (saw picture on the KH subreddit and learned the former info from a former co-worker). Someone saw that Yoko composed for the KH series and picked a sad sounding song made by her, not knowing the song wasn't from KH, and added more instruments to it.

This is the most likely scenario. It also means the liner notes are wrong.