• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

r3n4ud

Oct 25, 2017
Quebec
Is it possible to get stuck and have to restart? Because I think that's where I'm at right now.

I'm in an area of Snowtop Above and I can't seem to get anywhere. The thing is, I don't think I'm suppose to be here because I still don't have
a Sootling to swing from rose to rose.
I used the bee zip line to get where I am and everywhere I go I'm blocked :/

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks guys! I'll go back and check the gorilla. I definitely went in there but maybe I missed something. Also is there nothing to do with the wickerling map seller in the peaks that still has the icon over him on the map? Icons usually vanish once you've done what you needed to with someone or something so it seems weird. He's at the very top of the map a little to the right under where you get the chief up there.

Few days late, but if you're at 97% and it's not that, it might be what I was missing?

You can get Kickback again in the peaks.

I never figured out why that map icon remained either. Seems like it's a bug.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Few days late, but if you're at 97% and it's not that, it might be what I was missing?

You can get Kickback again in the peaks.

I never figured out why that map icon remained either. Seems like it's a bug.

Oh that must be it because I definitely didn't do that. Could you spoiler tag where exactly? I'll head back there and start looking tho. Thanks!

Edit: Found it and I'm at 100%!! Thanks again!

Last edited:

Zero_IYAD

Oct 27, 2017
DiPKxa6UYAApRs7.jpg

What an amazing little game <3

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
There was a patch which makes some things more visible on the map, especially briefcases and scarabs. Turns out i only had 2 scarabs left to find (but i wouldn't have found them without this update) for full completion. I actually have the trophy for unlocking everything (platinum trophy?) for the very first (and probably last) time.

Such a great game. I wonder if we will see a sequel someday. I'd love a sequel.

Oct 25, 2017
There was a patch which makes some things more visible on the map, especially briefcases and scarabs. Turns out i only had 2 scarabs left to find (but i wouldn't have found them without this update) for full completion. I actually have the trophy for unlocking everything (platinum trophy?) for the very first (and probably last) time.

Such a great game. I wonder if we will see a sequel someday. I'd love a sequel.

I just saw this get patched on my Switch and came in here to see what's going on. Here are the patch notes on PC; until I hear otherwise I'll assume the Switch release has been brought to parity with all the same changes.

Quality of life improvements for Update 2:

• Unopened chests and filled mailboxes are now visible regardless of a player's location.
• Scarab trackers are now displayed on the map when you get to 10 Scarabs or less.
• Map marker for "Return to Nim" added after finding all three chiefs.

Bug fixes for Update 2:

• Open chests and filled mailboxes are no longer visible on the map.
• Fix for quest marker for "Ask Tunguska about getting some Climbing Gear" now disappears when criteria has been met.
• Fix for shop marker missing on map for the Marrow Hill, Hideout Wickerling tracker.
• Background no longer appears at low quality textures if the inventory is opened whilst zooming out of a telescope.
• Map graphics no longer disappear when viewing the map immediately after leaving the Aerial Ascent telescope.
• Fosfor no longer re-appears in their lair if returning after saving and reloading.
• Music is now present in the pinball puzzle after approaching area from the Great Falls.
• It is no longer possible to block yourself in the Peak area.
• The camera no longer detaches from Yoku if using the Sootling on a Leash to fling Yoku off the edge in the Cove Mushroom location.
• Fix for typo in one of Chirp's lines of dialogue.
• Graphical seam fixed when using the telescope near the bottom of the Great Falls.
• Sumoe shop marker is now removed if the treasure map is purchased through the discounted option.
• Fix for performance FPS drop if fruit isn't collected from the Scarab in Everfrost Forest, The Lighthouse.
• It is no longer possible for Yoku to get stuck within the Screetch.
• Omh and Tilo no longer move location if you enter or leave Ivory Peaks Trail without talking to Jamja.
• Particle effect from Seed Pod Branch is now removed after it has been picked up.
• Lighting no longer pops at the top of the Tall Totem Tower reveal cutscene.
• Fix for performance FPS drop during the Tall Totem Tower reveal cutscene.
• It is no longer possible to knock the drop-down plank the wrong way in the Church of the Space Monks, Secret Sanctuary area.
• Improvements to the Simplified Chinese localisation.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Really good QoL map additions in that update, for those who want to 100% the game.

jiggyfresh

Oct 27, 2017
Downloaded the demo. Wife insisted we buy the game less than an hour later. We're playing through it now taking turns. Just a wonderful experience!

Deleted member 13148

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Trying to get the final wickerling, but I can't get back into the juicery.

I've switched to the skull ball, but the guy just keeps giving me fruit, and tells me to come back later. I tried the jeweled skull ball as well, but same thing.

Is there something I'm missing?

Narasumas

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Melbourne, Florida
Trying to get the final wickerling, but I can't get back into the juicery.

I've switched to the skull ball, but the guy just keeps giving me fruit, and tells me to come back later. I tried the jeweled skull ball as well, but same thing.

Is there something I'm missing?
Hmmm...If I recall it's the not the skull skin you need. I think maybe it's the spider look. Either way...he will definitely let you in if your ball has the correct skin on it. Keep playing with skin variences. I could be wrong, but I think it was the spider.

Deleted member 13148

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm...If I recall it's the not the skull skin you need. I think maybe it's the spider look. Either way...he will definitely let you in if your ball has the correct skin on it. Keep playing with skin variences. I could be wrong, but I think it was the spider.
I've tried just about all of the skins that would make any sense, including the spider. Everything online says to use the skull skin to get back in (since they're the skull gang), but they were all written from the perspective of someone that failed on the initial attempt. Really seems like I'm stuck at 99% completion. Guess it's time to move onto another game.

Overall, it was a pretty fun game, but I wish they had a bit more complicated and challenging pinball tables. Having basically no penalty for failing was a little disappointing as well. I encountered a couple of minor bugs, and this final issue that sadly ends the game on a bit of a sour note, but I still liked the game.

Factory 1.21

Oct 29, 2017
Colorado, USA
I've tried just about all of the skins that would make any sense, including the spider. Everything online says to use the skull skin to get back in (since they're the skull gang), but they were all written from the perspective of someone that failed on the initial attempt. Really seems like I'm stuck at 99% completion. Guess it's time to move onto another game.

I succeeded on the first attempt and the guy let me back in later. Maybe I'm remembering wrong but I don't think I had to interact with him to get back in the second time. I think I just rolled in. Is there something blocking the entrance? OK, I just fired up the game and verified it. I can talk to him (with any ball) and he'll give me fruit. But I can roll right in with or without talking to him, with any ball.

Deleted member 13148

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I succeeded on the first attempt and the guy let me back in later. Maybe I'm remembering wrong but I don't think I had to interact with him to get back in the second time. I think I just rolled in. Is there something blocking the entrance? OK, I just fired up the game and verified it. I can talk to him (with any ball) and he'll give me fruit. But I can roll right in with or without talking to him, with any ball.
The gate is down for me, blocking me from going back in. Sounds like it's a bug, so there's probably not a solution.

Narasumas

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Melbourne, Florida
The gate is down for me, blocking me from going back in. Sounds like it's a bug, so there's probably not a solution.
He will always let you in the first time into the juicery....but if you fall or fail on that first attempt, he won't let you back in until you're wearing the correct skin. Hmmmm.....that's very strange he won't let you back. I had the EXACT same problem for my end-game a month or so back, but he finally let me in after trying different skins. I thought it was the spider....but I think you're right it may have been the skull (it was a while ago). Hopefully, it's not an actual bug.

I'd love if they did a sequel!

jiggyfresh

Oct 27, 2017
in case this is the issue, your "skull" disguise needs to be the one sprinkle costume. If you do the 2 sprinkle skull combination, it won't work. I think it's just the one spray of the "creepy sprinkles," iirc.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
What kind? I didn't 100% it because I felt a bit lost when I finished the story. I'm at 80-something% now.

IIRC they changed it so it accurately shows the status of chests and mailboxes on the app.

EDIT: Looks like it'll also show you scarabs if you have <10 left. But that's not a thing I cared about since it doesn't affect % and I played on Switch, so there was no trophies to go for.

Arturo

Oct 27, 2017
IIRC they changed it so it accurately shows the status of chests and mailboxes on the app.

EDIT: Looks like it'll also show you scarabs if you have <10 left. But that's not a thing I cared about since it doesn't affect % and I played on Switch, so there was no trophies to go for.
Nice, I'll download it again. Thank you.

Jan 29, 2018
I was loving this game until I got the sootling leash. Now I'm trying to climb a giant beanstalk and I just can't get the timing right consistently. I'm afraid I might bounce of this entirely if this mechanic is going to stay important.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I was loving this game until I got the sootling leash. Now I'm trying to climb a giant beanstalk and I just can't get the timing right consistently. I'm afraid I might bounce of this entirely if this mechanic is going to stay important.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the timing for it. It's better if you jump ASAP rather than let them spin for a bit, so don't psyche yourself out waiting too long. Also, if you fling yourself wildly off, restarting from the last checkpoint you were at is very fast and is a great way to cut down the time it takes to try again, making it less of a hassle. (It took me way too long to realize that I should be doing that in general, and even then I forgot for some things that took a long time to retry...)

It doesn't come up that much, honestly; as far as I remember, it's mainly that first climb that I found frustrating. So I'd say just push through and you should be fine after that.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Heads up, this is on sale for $11.99 in the US eShop.

Was waiting for a price drop to grab it, so this is great.

Eraser_Arcade

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if there are any differences between the Switch version versus the Steam version? I'm leaning towards getting a physical copy for the Switch, but I just like to make sure the Switch version doesn't have any issues like low frame rate, etc.

Narasumas

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Melbourne, Florida
Does anyone know if there are any differences between the Switch version versus the Steam version? I'm leaning towards getting a physical copy for the Switch, but I just like to make sure the Switch version doesn't have any issues like low frame rate, etc.
Don't know about differences...but I didn't experience any performance issues or drops on my Switch playthru. Everything ran great. Also, the game doesn't seem that demanding tech-wise imo.

Eraser_Arcade

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know about differences...but I didn't experience any performance issues or drops on my Switch playthru. Everything ran great. Also, the game doesn't seem that demanding tech-wise imo.
Thanks, that's good to know. I've been wanting to grow my Switch collection lately, and I've been looking at several Switch games that have physical releases on the Switch but are also on Steam. So I'm trying to find out any info (mainly performance issues) between the Switch & Steam versions.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017

The Switch port is really good. Native resolution in both docked and undocked. AFAIK, there are no frame rate issues in the Switch version during gameplay. However, there are some noticeable frame rate drops when using the beeline (the quick teleport system) though, but that doesn't affect gameplay.

The Switch version uses some HD Rumble effects, but that's not used for the pinball parts.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
Picked this up in PSN EU sale - and my my my it's bloody excellent. Wow, it looks and sounds beautiful. *heart* I can't stop whistling the tunes, man. Metroidvania crossed with pinball? How the hell is that supposed to work? They sure as hell made it work.

Damn - I've gotta 100% this beauty fast - it's keeping me from Dragon Quest XI!

I sure hope this sold enough to keep the wolves from the door. Thank you Villa Gorilla and Team 17.

TheLastYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Is the demo reflective of the full gane? It didn't do much for me but I love metroidvanias... I am worried about traversal in a game with pinball mechanics.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm half an hour in and not really enjoying the, well, pinball-ness of it. I'm really struggling to get the ball where I want it to go. I know the markers on the paddles are supposed to help, but I feel like I'm always too early or too late. I just end up looping around in a "table" for way, way too long. I'm decent at most games, but oddly terrible at pinball, so this has ended up being more frustrating than fun so far.

Factory 1.21

Oct 29, 2017
Colorado, USA
I'm really struggling to get the ball where I want it to go.
Be sure to trap the ball with a flipper as often as you can (raise a flipper so the ball comes to a stop). Then release the flipper to let the ball (OK, Yoku) roll down the flipper and flip again to shoot at the desired target. Yes, this takes practice. Fortunately, trapping the ball with a flipper is very easy in this game. That just leaves the aiming to practice.

It's much easier to aim a trapped ball than a moving ball.

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
Be sure to trap the ball with a flipper as often as you can (raise a flipper so the ball comes to a stop). Then release the flipper to let the ball (OK, Yoku) roll down the flipper and flip again to shoot at the desired target. Yes, this takes practice. Fortunately, trapping the ball with a flipper is very easy in this game. That just leaves the aiming to practice.

It's much easier to aim a trapped ball than a moving ball.

Yeah I've naturally started doing that more. It's just that I approach it like /pinball/ pinball where I want to mash the hell out of the paddles to make lights and sounds, but it actually demands patience and precision in a way that I'm not sure I'm actually looking for, at least not in my current mood.

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
Snake Pass was my GOTY last year and i feel exactly the same about Yoku's Island Express. They are quite similar in a lot of ways: original and fun gameplay concept, visually pleasing, great soundtrack, cute, fresh and happy vibes. When i played Yoku's Island Express, i knew few games would surpass this and none actually did (though Celeste was a very close second). So this will be my GOTY 2018. I wish i could wipe my memory and play it again for the first time and wonder if we will ever see a sequel.

Narasumas

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Melbourne, Florida
Snake Pass was my GOTY last year and i feel exactly the same about Yoku's Island Express. They are quite similar in a lot of ways: original and fun gameplay concept, visually pleasing, great soundtrack, cute, fresh and happy vibes. When i played Yoku's Island Express, i knew few games would surpass this and none actually did (though Celeste was a very close second). So this will be my GOTY 2018. I wish i could wipe my memory and play it again for the first time and wonder if we will ever see a sequel.
Yeah they're definitely both very charming games! I really liked Yoku as well, thought it was just a joy to play...[and very original to boot. Snake Pass was also pretty charming and I liked it as well...it was just a little too tedious and sometimes frustrating, but had neat traversal mechanics. Both had great soundtracks.

Celeste though, that's my GOTY. Bar none. Game left a deep cut in my mind. Also a great soundtrack (still listen near-weekly!).

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah they're definitely both very charming games! I really liked Yoku as well, thought it was just a joy to play...[and very original to boot. Snake Pass was also pretty charming and I liked it as well...it was just a little too tedious and sometimes frustrating, but had neat traversal mechanics. Both had great soundtracks.

Celeste though, that's my GOTY. Bar none. Game left a deep cut in my mind. Also a great soundtrack (still listen near-weekly!).

Agreed, Celeste was memorable in more than one way, including the soundtrack (which i bought).

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
where the fuck do I buy this game's soundtrack digitally in flac? I WANT IT

Borowski

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Jun 24, 2018
Playing through this right now

Having a blast so far

Good to look at, fun to play, joyful music, great level-design and original mechanics

What a gem

Vibed

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So its on sale on the eshop for $9.99. Can anyone tell me what the performance and resolution is like on the Switch?

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
"Finished" this today. Didn't take too long to make it through to the credits, even taking a pretty leisurely pace. Some Wickerlings look like they're going to be a pain, and even some straggling sidequests could be a headache, even with full traversal options open. Overall, really loved it. It's nice to play a Metroid-style game where you don't have to worry about dying. Visuals are fun and the music in particular is a standout. Could be a top 5 finisher for the year for me!

Oct 2, 2018
Just a quick bump to say I bought this today and its amazing. Gorgeous visuals and super fun. you sort of get skills that power up Yoku and its not combat driven. More puzzle and pinball fun.

On sale, if you're reading this and haven't bought it. Super cheap on PSN RN and so worth it.

Aphotic

Oct 25, 2017
Just grabbed this for $8 on Xbox. Looks perfect for game nights when I want something chill.

Oct 2, 2018
I finished this game the other day. Its currently on sale and its amazingly fun! BUY THIS!

its so charming and such a great little 8-10 session.

Had a blast. 9/10!!!

Buy ittt!!!!!