• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Is diving an ability unlock? I have a few side quest things now that i can't complete because I can't dive. I guess I haven't been in that part of the map yet?

Primate Ryan

Oct 27, 2017
Is diving an ability unlock? I have a few side quest things now that i can't complete because I can't dive. I guess I haven't been in that part of the map yet?

Hehe, got this upgrade five minutes ago. Think you can reach it once you have the explosive snail upgrade.

A hint as to where it can be found on the map:

It's somewhere between the village and the hideout and below their level.

Oct 30, 2017
Absolutely loving this game. It's gorgeous, charming, well designed, and addictive.

Question:

Where the hell is the "slab" that Wondrous Willow asks you to place the chunk on?!

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so early impressions

this game is amazing. they really made a metroidvania pinball game and totally nailed it. I'm at the underdark so far and I'm just loving everything about this game. the gameplay is great, the challenges have gotten progressively more creative, the exploration is great, having so many different ways to go isn't overwhelming because whichever way you choose to go something neat will be there whether it's a pinball challenge or npc, the atmosphere is really great. it feels weird to have this kind of atmosphere in a pinball game but here we are. the ambient noises you'll hear along with the art is great. I've already seen some nice variety with the environments.

good stuff

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
That
multiball "mode" with the ball locks
in the steam vent area put a stupid grin on my face. This game is so good.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I'm at 94% and I was wondering if anyone could help me out.

What's a warm, dry and quiet place for the frosty spores?

Where do I bring the sad spiderling?

Not sure what else there might be. I've opened all the chests, gotten all the wickerlings and finished up the stuff related to that. My wallet holds
fruit and I'm not sure if that's the max.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I don't enjoy Pinball or Metroidvanias but I'm excited for this! Going in cautiously after my bad time with Tumbleseed.

Hoping it will capture some Flipnic vibes.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
I finally got 300 fruit bag, so I can buy some maps and stuff.

BTW, I tweeted the developers yesterday and asked if they could add (subtle) HD Rumble features for the pinball parts, and they responded they would pass the feature request on to the developers. If others want to show them your interest in deeper HD Rumble features in the Yoku, they can be contacted at:
https://twitter.com/YokuGame

Neural

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Really enjoyed this game. There were a few frustrating moments for me here and there were I was not sure what to do or where to go.
Yep, this has been a problem for me too. Just a couple of times, and one of them I had to backtrack all the way to the starting beach just because I didn't know where to go next. Then I discovered I missed an unexplored path.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Beat the story last night and I am around 83% complete. The game has been a pure, unadulterated delight.

I need to buy the soundtrack because it is amazing.

I'm at 94% and I was wondering if anyone could help me out.

What's a warm, dry and quiet place for the frosty spores?

I wish I could provide an exact location but I am at work. If you are still hunting for it I can provide a hint when at home. All I can say is that is

underground and in the reddish area of the map

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, you'll unlock it upon reaching a certain part of the map.
Hehe, got this upgrade five minutes ago. Think you can reach it once you have the explosive snail upgrade.

A hint as to where it can be found on the map:

It's somewhere between the village and the hideout and below their level.

Thanks - finally found it, and the swimming ability really opened up the game! One ability left to unlock, it seems.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I think that would be the spot at
East Bay Shore
No, that was an earlier spot.

I wish I could provide an exact location but I am at work. If you are still hunting for it I can provide a hint when at home. All I can say is that is

underground and in the reddish area of the map
I found it, thanks.
It was very close to the horn in that area.

So that brings me to 97%. As for my other question:

You bring the spiderling to the sad tree guy. He just gives you fruit.

So that didn't really accomplish anything.

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
Played a bit last night and absolutely loving it so far. Great and colorful visuals, catchy soundtrack and nice soundeffects, a quirky cast of characters, awesome gameplay and superb level design. Also, it's fun to get the collectibles in this game. I never go for any throphies but i might do with this game.

So far, it's everything i hoped it would be. Awesome work, developers!

Last edited:

Discokuningas

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
This game really is great. It is surprisingly free. I constantly wander off my planned path and explore and make some side stuff and collect extra fruits etc. Last time this happened was BotW. I think this might be one of my favourite games in recent years.

Last edited:

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Got the game last night. It's a bit on the easy side, but it's really interesting how they've managed to integrate the pinball gameplay into the exploration, puzzles, and setpieces. The atmosphere, visuals, and music all work together to convey a very relaxing, cheerful mood while playing.

The digitally painted art looks really good here. It's like Rayman Legends and Ori had a baby.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Need a general hint: where is the
Bee Costume
? In a chest or as a reward for a side quest?

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
So I think I've been convinced to pick this up sooner rather than later - perhaps as my next game. I'd probably default to Switch, but I have a full choice of platforms - has there been any indication of a reason to pick it up on a different platform instead?

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any type of replayability?

It's a fairly self-contained experience, so once you've gotten 100% it doesn't seem like it. Maybe they'll patch in an arcade mode later.

So I think I've been convinced to pick this up sooner rather than later - perhaps as my next game. I'd probably default to Switch, but I have a full choice of platforms - has there been any indication of a reason to pick it up on a different platform instead?

I highly recommend the Switch version, just because it plays absolutely beautifully handheld, and looks great to boot. In fact, I might even prefer the visuals on the smaller screen - they look more completely integrated.

krg

Oct 27, 2017
The game is pretty good so far, a hidden gem actually that really needs more exposure.
I'm thinking about getting it on the switch as well (physically) for my girlfriend and also to support the developers.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
The game is pretty good so far, a hidden gem actually that really needs more exposure.
I'm thinking about getting it on the switch as well (physically) for my girlfriend and also to support the developers.

FWIW, the Switch port of this game is really good, in part since the developers use their own engine instead of relying on Unity like so many indie devs. It runs at full resolution and at 60 fps on both portable and docked. HD Rumble is only used for some story elements though, not for the gameplay.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FWIW, the Switch port of this game is really good, in part since the developers use their own engine instead of relying on Unity like so many indie devs. It runs at full resolution and at 60 fps on both portable and docked. HD Rumble is only used for some story elements though, not for the gameplay.

Literally the only performance dip I've noticed in the game is occasional brief pausing to stream in assets when using fast travel at a high rate. Which of course does not affect gameplay, since the Beeline is on rails.

Otherwise, flawless.

Oct 30, 2017
Can anyone give me an idea how you get to the
screech? I've activated 2 beelines and have the diving ability
I've been bouncing around the map for an hour trying to figure how how to access the new area.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I beat the first boss yesterday

this game is great. I'm gonna run out of superlatives for this game but yeah, I'm loving it.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
I second this question.

Just beat the game, absolutely brilliant. But have a ton of collectibles to collect still and some areas of the map that I still can't figure out how to access.

There is someone in the village who might be able to paint a clearer picture for you.

For a less cryptic answer:

You will find baubles during your adventure which you hand to an npc in town. You can then apply colours to your ball, 2 colours at a time. Try experimenting ;)

Oct 30, 2017
This game really is great. It is surprisingly free. I constantly wander off my planned path and explore and make some side stuff and collect extra fruits etc. Last time this happened was BotW. I think this might be one of my favourite games in recent years.

You nailed it. This definitely gives some of the same feelings as BotW, more than any I've played since.