• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wozman23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pico Rivera, CA
xtTPqTC.png

jJQ1Grz.png

QfF0mpv.png

xSj0Bey.png

u9UwN5h.png

CKdRCBD.png

rUk0hRY.gif

XS38fhQ.png

giphy.gif
aSiYbEl.png

udMNe0T.png
giphy.gif

giphy.gif
j2XII6o.png

udyES0B.png
giphy.gif

giphy.gif
3qEWugf.png

FlpxBdD.png
giphy.gif

jcuQt2R.png

Purchase on: Steam | PlayStation 4 | Switch | Xbox One
Official Website | Twitter | Facebook
Trailers: Story | Side-Quests | Abilities | Announcement
Other Videos: Behind The Scenes | GameXplain Game & Watch (30 Minutes of Gameplay)

ppbcyxf.png

Metacritic: PC | PS4 | Switch | Xbox One
OpenCritic

10/10 - Yoku's Island Express is the perfect combination of pinball mechanics meets metroidvania, and is not only my favorite indie game so far this year, but my favorite pinball game of all time. - CGMagazine

9/10 - It's rare a game is as endlessly joyous as Yoku's Island Express. - GameSpew

9/10 - Yoku's Island Express is a genuine breath of fresh air, combining pinball and Metroidvania mechanics in a way that feels truly inspired. Add in one of the most appealing fantasy worlds you'll find on the eShop, and you have yourself an instant left-field classic. - Nintendo Life

9/10 - Yoku's Island Express is the open-world pinball adventure you never knew you wanted, but that you desperately need to play. The vibrant art, expansive world, and fun story come together with the best elements of metroidvania and pinball games to create a new experience unlike anything else out there. - PlayStation LifeStyle

4.5/5 - For as many great, engaging or immersive outings we've already been treated to in the past few years with this genre, Yoku's Island Express can now be added to that same list of essential efforts with an identity that is all its own. - Harcore Gamer

8.5/10 - To think, Sonic Spinball was onto something all of those years ago. Yoku's Island Express is delightful and fun from start to finish - Game Informer

8/10 - One part Metroidvania, one part pinball game, Yoku's Island Express is a beautiful mashup that just shouldn't work. But it does, and as a result, it's just wonderful. - God is a Geek

8/10
- Yoku's Island Express is a novel Metroidvania-pinball hybrid that stands out as something wholly unique. It blends those clashing genres with a beautiful island style, and its satisfying flippers and bumpers make uncovering its wide island a ton of fun. Retreading completed areas while hunting for secrets can occasionally get stale, but Yoku's Island Express has a refreshingly positive attitude that kept me smiling the whole way through. - IGN

8/10 - Yoku's Island Express is one of the most surprising games of 2018. The combination of pinball and Metroidvania is, on paper at least, a little like dipping your French fries into your milkshake; as good as the two elements are separately, they shouldn't really work together. But thanks to an array of smart design choices, a wonderful art style, and some genuinely inventive puzzles, Yoku's Island Express is a game that only rarely frustrates – and frequently delights. - Push Square

Recommended - A glorious marriage of pinball and platforming and a wild-spirited adventure to cherish. - Eurogamer

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wozman23

Wozman23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pico Rivera, CA
Planned edits:
  • Opencritic link once it goes live
  • Reviews as them come in
I didn't include the physical pricing because it looks to vary. MSRP seems to be $39.99, but many places have it discounted to $29.99, except for on the switch of course.

Also, if this isn't enough to satisfy your pinball fix, there's another pinball inspired game releasing, Kabounce, that is blazing its own path with a hybridized pinball approach emphasizing competitive multiplayer. I played the beta for it, and despite the fact that I rarely enjoy multiplayer games, I really ended up liking what I played. It reminded me a lot of Rocket League - which is really the only other competitive multiplayer game that I've enjoyed this generation.

Last edited:

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I have it pre-ordered. A Metroidvania with pinball mechanics sounds like a concept that was pulled straight out of a file labeled "game ideas Fireblend would love but doesn't know it yet".

Not to mention it looks absolutely adorable and charming. I just hope it's got plenty of content so I can enjoy it for as long as possible. Hoping for somewhere close to Steamworld Dig 2's completion time.

Can't wait!

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
This is one of the jolliest most charming looking games I've ever seen. Its just such a neat idea. Can't wait to play it!

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
Probably says more about me, but I read one of your headers as Pinball Vagina.

Thank you and good night.

Leynos

Oct 27, 2017
I LOVE video game pinball, so this is definitely up my alley. I will wait for the physical Switch release.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Preordered the Switch version.

BTW, here's half an hour gameplay of the Switch version from GameXplain.

Deleted member 33515

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
just FYI, the font you've picked for the OT is nearly unreadable. OTs should focus on being informative first flashy second, in my opinion. I get that I can glean most of the information from watching the video but at least make an effort. you're not winning internet points for doing a flashy OT.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hearing great things, I think it'll do well on Metacritic. Still on the fence about which version to get - waiting for the reviews to see if the Switch one runs and looks well enough, otherwise I'll stick to the One X.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Okay that GameXplain video has sold me.

Does it run at 60fps in handheld mode on Switch too?

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
Preordered on Switch. Looks like it will at least be decent, unless it has some poor design decisions, which looks unlikely. Could be amazing. Loving that art style and unique gameplay.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Okay that GameXplain video has sold me.

Does it run at 60fps in handheld mode on Switch too?

I think it does (they use their own custom engine for the game, so they'll likely get much better system performance than all the Unity ports). But Jonneh should know for sure, since he did that video.

I'm also curious about how the HD rumble is used throughout the game.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Wow what a great OP! purseowner I believe the game does run at 60 in handheld mode and jariw I unfortunately don't believe rumble is used that often. The flippers don't really produce any kind of rumble, it's usually only implemented during subtle events.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
This game looks totally amazing. Can't wait.

So glad it's getting some attention. Torn between PS4 and Xbox but leaning towards the latter for the triggers.

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
One of the few games i pre-ordered. I hope this is last year's Snake Pass, a fun, happy and fresh game with an interesting gameplay idea, which ended up being my GOTY.

Also, nice to have an OT.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Probably will get it when its on sale. I really want it but i a little out of money right now and need to buy other things before it.
Looks absolutely awesome though.

Gala

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to finally play it again tomorrow! Had a blast with the Gamescom demo last year!

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Had been watching that game for a while and Game Informer's New Gameplay Today vid made me finally pre-order it last week. Can't wait to get my hands on it tomorrow, looks really fun, charming and unique with some pretty neat ideas. I'm pretty sure this will receive a lot of great review scores.

Dantendo

Oct 27, 2017
South Australia
My first digital pre order for Switch.

They had me at Pinball Metroidvania. An interesting mashup of genres, which by the look of the gameplay video, works very well together.

Nester

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Been playing it for the last week on the Switch, I really enjoy it. Such an adorable game and I love the concept of a Pinballvania!

Feeroper

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man this looks so good. So torn, I'd like to buy it tomorrow and it's cheaper digitally, but I really want the physical copy as well. Anyone know if the physical copy comes with anything?

How is the Switch performance? I am unable to watch that video while at work.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This looks really good and came out of nowhere for me. I hope its got a decent length!

The game is not available on the US PS4 store for some reason, can't find it to pre-order.

Last edited:

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Dammit.

I read it last night as Yoshi's Island Express and then again when I saw this thread title. The font looks like Yoshi's Island. I wanted a new Yoshi's Island!

Looks interesting though. Might give it a deeper look tonight.

OP
OP
Wozman23

Wozman23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pico Rivera, CA
Probably says more about me, but I read one of your headers as Pinball Vagina.

Thank you and good night.

In your defense, the 'a's do look like mirrored 'g's.

l4FJh6C.png

I'm not sure how that mash-up works, but you merge pinball with anything, and I'd try it.

just FYI, the font you've picked for the OT is nearly unreadable. OTs should focus on being informative first flashy second, in my opinion. I get that I can glean most of the information from watching the video but at least make an effort. you're not winning internet points for doing a flashy OT.

What?! You're not a member of the rewards program? Thanks to my flashy OTs I've almost got enough points for the Harrier Jet.

Are you desktop or mobile? I always preview it on both, but I know mobile was a bit smaller than I'd have liked. I designed everything prior to the new themes, and the wide margins killed my intended layout so I had to shrink the abilities text elements down to space them how I wanted - which appear as intended on the desktop site but are a little odd on mobile. So you can thank those damn wide margins. They screwed with a couple of my upcoming OTs so I'm really hoping we get a theme revise that gives us some of that wasted space back.

Sorry, I often go for flashy AND informative, with a font that mirrors the game's style. but I emphasize flashy. It's a fine line to walk, and I probably cross over into flashy territory more than everyone would want.

One of the few games i pre-ordered. I hope this is last year's Snake Pass, a fun, happy and fresh game with an interesting gameplay idea, which ended up being my GOTY.

Also, nice to have an OT.

We can only hope it's as phenomenal and unique as Snake Pass - my Number 2 just slightly behind Cuphead.

On another note, Sony (US) really needs to up its game when it comes to pre-ordering smaller titles. The option is available on all other platforms, and the EU store, but the US store is very hit-or-miss on what can and can't be pre-ordered. Luckily, in this case, I've got a 20% coupon waiting, so I'll grab it, and maybe grab Kabounce, PixelJunk Monsters 2, and Old Man's Journey for another fling with it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 33515

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
What?! You're not a member of the rewards program? Thanks to my flashy OTs I've almost got enough points for the Harrier Jet.

Are you desktop or mobile? I always preview it on both, but I know mobile was a bit smaller than I'd have liked. I designed everything prior to the new themes, and the wide margins killed my intended layout so I had to shrink the abilities text elements down to space them how I wanted - which appear as intended on the desktop site but are a little odd on mobile. So you can thank those damn wide margins. They screwed with a couple of my upcoming OTs so I'm really hoping we get a theme revise that gives us some of that wasted space back.

Sorry, I often go for flashy AND informative, with a font that mirrors the game's style. but I emphasize flashy. It's a fine line to walk, and I probably cross over into flashy territory more than everyone would want.

thanks for defusing my passive-aggressive-ish remark. I tried to read it on desktop, but I found the font+color combination really difficult to opars, especially the tinier text with the largest black border. weirdly enough, those sections are more legible on mobile than desktop. I'm generally more fond of minimalist approaches. in any case, thanks for letting me know about the game!

OP
OP
Wozman23

Wozman23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pico Rivera, CA
thanks for defusing my passive-aggressive-ish remark. I tried to read it on desktop, but I found the font+color combination really difficult to opars, especially the tinier text with the largest black border. weirdly enough, those sections are more legible on mobile than desktop. I'm generally more fond of minimalist approaches. in any case, thanks for letting me know about the game!

No biggie, and you're welcome. Those are the sections I had to somewhat quickly change. And without the black border, they'd be really bad on the Day theme.

I try to account for mobile and desktop, as well as the Night and Day themes - I'm partial to the Night theme - but I sometimes compromise on certain aspects. My Shape of the World post next week will be more minimalist - but still outlandish with its style - using text instead of pictures but only looking good with the Night theme due to changing font colors. (I figured out a cool way to inform people to change to the Night theme that is only visible on when browsing on the Day theme. That element also had to be edited when the new themes launched with slightly different color shades.)

I'm always really proud of my OTs. I put a lot of time and effort (read: too much time and effort) into making them informative, flashy, creative, and stylish in a way of saying thanks to the developers, most of which are indies who need all the support and promotion they can get. So it sucks why someone criticizes the end product, and I'd never want a design to deter a person from buying the game, but different strokes for different folks. I just like whimsical and flashy, which is why the game attracts me as well.

Deleted member 33515

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
No biggie, and you're welcome. Those are the sections I had to somewhat quickly change. And without the black border, they'd be really bad on the Day theme.

I try to account for mobile and desktop, as well as the Night and Day themes - I'm partial to the Night theme - but I sometimes compromise on certain aspects. My Shape of the World post next week will be more minimalist - but still outlandish with its style - using text instead of pictures but only looking good with the Night theme due to changing font colors. (I figured out a cool way to inform people to change to the Night theme that is only visible on when browsing on the Day theme. That element also had to be edited when the new themes launched with slightly different color shades.)

I'm always really proud of my OTs. I put a lot of time and effort (read: too much time and effort) into making them informative, flashy, creative, and stylish in a way of saying thanks to the developers, most of which are indies who need all the support and promotion they can get. So it sucks why someone criticizes the end product, and I'd never want a design to deter a person from buying the game, but different strokes for different folks. I just like whimsical and flashy, which is why the game attracts me as well.

so you're a pro-OTer! thanks for doing this, OTs are my main source of 'new news'. if I can offer you a tip, in my experience nothing beats simple sans serif fonts and white color with black well proportioned stroke, on any background. if you're a fan of transparent images, you can add a colorful background with an interesting shape (think "Sonic level intro text", but bigger) to have it work on any theme. ERA set of colors will work against your end result in any case, that purple/grey is really nasty.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Switch version unlocked at midnight in the EU territory at least. I'm in the CET region and my preorder just unlocked.

Fire Bocchi

Oct 25, 2017
am i the only person who keeps seeing the title as yoshi's island? like everytime i see the game's title i have to double take since i see it as yoshi's island at first

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
am i the only person who keeps seeing the title as yoshi's island? like everytime i see the game's title i have to double take since i see it as yoshi's island at first

I'm exactly the same, so much so that just the other day I very nearly excitedly posted in a Nintendo group on Facebook saying "omgz there's a new update to that Yoshi game"