• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
yoHAadB.jpg

Japan's Yomiuri Shinbun newspaper published an article about the creation of Pikachu the other day. It interviews three key people: artist Ken Sugimori, planner Koji Nishino, and character designer Atsuko Nishida. It's in Japanese, but there are some English summaries out there.

The design for Pikachu, one of the main characters in the popular game franchise Pocket Monsters, better known as Pokemon, was based on a squirrel — not a mouse — developers of the game at the time of its 1996 debut have told The Yomiuri Shimbun.

This is the first time the designers have revealed the story behind Pikachu's origin. The Pokemon Co., the Tokyo-based brand management company for the Pokemon franchise, will add this information to its website as early as late May.

Pikachu has been a fixture of the franchise since the first Pokemon game debuted in February 1996 for Nintendo Co.'s Game Boy handheld game console.

According to the developers, including Ken Sugimori, 52, an executive at game developer Game Freak Inc., and illustrator Atsuko Nishida, who was working at the company when Pokemon was released, Nishida was tasked with designing a "cute monster" character that met two specific conditions: It must be an "electric type" that used electric attacks and must have two stages of evolution.

Nishida said she initially created a character that resembled a "vertically long daifuku rice confection with ears."

After being told it needed to be cuter, she created a new design based on a squirrel, an animal she wanted to own as a pet at the time.

Nishida eventually created the prototype design for what would become Pikachu using large pixels on a computer screen, while Sugimori drew the illustrated version. The initial daifuku-like character, which Nishida also drew using large pixels, was erased and no longer exists.

The name combines the words "pika," an onomatopoeic term for flashing light, and "chu," which has a cute sound. Although the character was not modeled after a mouse, Game Freak President Satoshi Tajiri called it a mouse character.

Among the more than 800 "pocket monsters" available today, Pikachu is classified as a mouse character.

"I hope people will feel closer to Pikachu by understanding the story behind its creation," Nishida said.

The Japanese article of course goes into a lot more detail.

+At the time Sugimori was only creating BADASS Pokemon that appealed to males (Mewtwo, Gyarados, Snorlax, Lapras). The designers wanted to also create some cute Pokemon, so they wanted the perspective of a female designer, Nishida (who worked on Pulseman) to help create cuter Pokemon.
+The only guidelines Nishida was given were that it had to be an electric type and that it must evolve two times. The mysterious third evolution was to be GOROCHU, which apparently had fangs sticking out of its mouth and two horns. It was removed for balance reasons.
+Like many Pokemon at the time, it was initially created via sprite art on a computer and not drawn. It originally resembled a round daifuku (Japanese mochi dessert) with no distinction between the head and body.
6Gjuzvh.jpg

+The inspiration for the more animal-design was a squirrel. The red cheeks were to mimic squirrels keeping food in their cheeks. After Satoshi Tajiri saw the Pokemon, he decided to dub it the "electric mouse" Pokemon and thus that connection was made.
+Nishino intentionally made Pikachu difficult to find in the original games because he liked the design so much and didn't want other people to have it.
+The black tips to Pikachu's ears are a leftover design choice from his original daifuku model. Sugimori was the one who decided on its yellow color and the back stripes since you mostly look at the Pokemon from behind.
+Pikachu's more sleek design was inspired by the anime.
+Sugimori wanted to create his own cute Pokemon, thus Clefairy was born.

Interesting to see a peek into the collaborative method Game Freak uses when creating Pokemon. Outside of Pikachu, Nishida is also credited with designing most of the Eeveelutions (all except Flareon and Jolteon), the Munna, Cottonee, and Petilil lines, plus more recently Alolan Raichu.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nishida eventually created the prototype design for what would become Pikachu using large pixels on a computer screen, while Sugimori drew the illustrated version. The initial daifuku-like character, which Nishida also drew using large pixels, was erased and no longer exists.

But I want to see daifuku Pikachu D:

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sugimori got the last laugh then, Clefairy is actually a good and usable Pokemon in doubles at least, while Pikachu sucks everywhere.

Clefairy: cute AND competitive!
Clefairy was originally planned to be the mascot for the brand, but they switched over to Pikachu instead. There is even a Japanese gag manga for Pokemon in which the trainer has a talking Clefairy instead of a Pikachu.

H13

Oct 27, 2017
I really like the old pikachu design, its a shame they rework it

ERAsaur

Oct 25, 2017
Was looking over the hex list, I guess 56 could have been Gorochu. Might have been deleted and reformatted into another cut two stage line since then though, who knows. Trying to figure stuff out in the index past the first 25 or so is all guesswork.

Balfour

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Gorochu is just a Pikachu with Goro Majima's back tat and an eyepatch

Iride

Oct 28, 2017
It's always great to hear about the process and behind-the-scenes that goes into creating designs. It's unlikely, but it'd be funny if they decide to use the daifuku or Gorochu concept again as inspiration for some gen 8+ Pokemon (or even a Pikaclone).

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
did Gorochu become Electabuzz later on? Cuz Electabuzz has fangs and horns and is electric too, just not squirrely at all

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Old Pikachu was so much better. It just goes to show you how anime ruins everything :P

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Amusing that daifuku was part of the basis for the design, seeing as how Monster Rancher eventually based their Pikachu counterpart on mochi.

Basically mochi are awesome. Go try some. Decent ones though.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
So Pikachu is actually a squirrel, and was originally a freaking mochi roll? Huh.

I think Pikachu's image would be changed a bit if it evolved into something with horns and fangs, lol. At least Raichu is still pretty cute.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting to me that they didn't start with drawings; always assumed the other way around. But I guess it makes sense: start with what is possible, design a concept image around that, adjust the in-game picture to the concept image.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
This is why I prefer newer designs. Art is clearly done before the sprite or modwl, lending to more consistentcy between the various medias. I also assume sprite first is why their was no consistent color for various pokemon, and stuff like the Arbok patterns where given a reason to likely cover up some mistakes done in the sprite work.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm finding some of this pretty mind blowing. I know Pikachu wasn't supposed to be the mascot, and was just another Pokémon, but imagine if they did Gorochu instead of Pichu when Gen 2 came out.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Pikachu was originally a mochi? That's incredible.

And I can totally see Pikachu being a squirrel. Mouse never really fit.

Also I had no idea Pikachu's character designer was a woman, Atsuko Nishida. I had thought Ken Sugimori did all the original designs. That's cool to know.

ERAsaur

Oct 25, 2017
Also I had no idea Pikachu's character designer was a woman, Atsuko Nishida. I had thought Ken Sugimori did all the original designs. That's cool to know.
Yeah, Sugimori was the one who did all the official/final art but there were around 4 or 5 sprite artists designing the Pokemon during Gen 1. Shigeki Morimoto was the one who designed Mankey and Diglett according to the possible text you can get from his avatar in the Gen 7 games:
You know Mankey, right? I'm actually the one who came up with it! The boss told me to make a Pokémon with a bit of this and a bit of that, and that's what I drew! I'm pretty fond of it myself!
You know Diglett, right? It's actually basically just a character that I had made up when I was a little kid. I even drew up a flip-book featuring it then!

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The watercolour artwork from gen 1 is easily the best visual style for Pokemon. I'd love to see a game made in this style.

32b878e1c85bf423bee24bfe341217a5.png
Could be nostalgia talking, but the old art is much more charming. I even like Sugimori's old tendency to go "off-model" (certain 'mons look pretty different in different pieces of the old art)

Stilton Disco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm not actually sure how much I buy this, given that a Pika is a real life fat little mouse like animal that would be a really bizarre coincidence not to be the basis for it.

Still, I'm bummed they didn't go with a third evolution. The series mascot characters like is really week overall because of it, and permanently stuck that way due to the completely redundant Pichu.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not actually sure how much I buy this, given that a Pika is a real life fat little mouse like animal that would be a really bizarre coincidence not to be the basis for it.

Still, I'm bummed they didn't go with a third evolution. The series mascot characters like is really week overall because of it, and permanently stuck that way due to the completely redundant Pichu.
http://jisho.org/search/pikapika

http://jisho.org/search/gorogoro

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Last thing Game Freak needs to be doing is promoting obesity with fatchu, who died of heart disease trying to be an Alolan Raichu

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
Man, can you imagine back then they had no idea they where creating one of the biggest merchandising franchises in history.

Like literally they were creating lightning in a bottle and had no idea.. amazing and awe inspiring