• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017

This comes from a larger NintendoLife feature on the soundtrack of Impossible Lair, which is a group effort between Grant Kirkhope, David Wise, and Playtonic's in-house audio guys Dan Murdoch and Matt Griffin. Some choice tidbits:

Nintendo Life: How do you decide what the split is between you, Dan and Matt?

David Wise:
Well this is Daniel's domain; Daniel's running the show here.

Dan Murdoch: I love how you say 'decide' as if it was all pre-planned! If we're going to get right into it, in the very beginning – going back a year or two at this point – we drew up how much music we thought we'd need in the game. I came up with a number, and then we got told a music budget and we said this is how much we want in commission from Dave and Grant, and then we'll fill in the rest. Over the course of the last two years, with every review and every time we looked at the game progressing, it kind of felt like we should have a little more music. So we'll do some more of our own tunes, and then get a little bit more from Dave, and so on. So what was originally supposed to be around fifty pieces of music – mostly from Dave and Grant – ended up to be more like sixty pieces of music, with the heavier split in our direction. It wasn't necessarily decided; we needed a lot more music than we originally intended.

Nintendo Life: Talking about those layers, one of the big things about Impossible Lair is that there are two versions of every level. Does that mean you've got two unique pieces of music? You've done double the amount of work you usually do?

Dan Murdoch:
Yes. So this is where, as the game really developed, we had to adjust our strategy. Originally, we were thinking that the level 'State Change' would be just a new way to play that level. And as the game went on, we realised that's not good enough. It's going to effectively be an entirely different new level, where there might be a different time of day, or might be an entire course which is completely different, depending on the level. The interesting link is that you're in the same place, but you're not doing the same things. You're not on the same path necessarily, and you're not doing the same gameplay. The atmosphere may be completely different. So, of course, we needed a new tune.

Matt Griffin: From a composing standpoint, this a new level. We did do a few tunes where we used a state change to inform how we could flip the piece and use similar melodies, but a lot of the time it seemed like unnecessarily restricting yourself when the level was so, so different.

Dan Murdoch: There are ones where the two pieces will share entirely the same instrument pattern. In fact, I've written a theme where the two pieces are the exact same chords and the exact same instruments but they sound absolutely nothing alike. One's a really fast rock track, and one is a really laid-back ambient atmospheric piece – but they just happen to be using the same chords and the same instruments.

The David Wise music sample is incredible and I'm excited to hear whether Dan and Matt's contributions can stand toe to toe with two legends. Andy Robinson (former Playtonic writer) seems pretty confident.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Yeah I can get those same kinda vibes to it, but there's something otherworldly good about DKC 1/2 OSTs and I think a lot of it has to do with the limitations the hardware imposed.

Mar 9, 2018
That's a cool song! Way better than the samey Snake Pass-esque, World 1 DKCTF music they used in the reveal trailer. Like that grunge.

Ant

Oct 27, 2017
That video gave me chills, immediately brings me back to playing the original DKC games.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
i love david wise as much as the next guy but his contributions to yooka laylee and this track again sounds like tropical freeze leftovers.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
David Wise is still the best composer in the industry. Can't wait for the whole OST to come out.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
It just immediately reminded me of how gaming used to be, with those very short sections or riffs repeated multiple times in different variations. Sounds awesome.

So hyped for this. They already nailed the collectathon platformer, now it's time to do the same to the DKC style platformer. Can't wait :)

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Only skimmed through the track so I save it for when the game is in my hands but sounds good. Maybe not TF good, but still really good.

Can't wait for this game. Recently rediscovered YL on Switch after putting it down since the day it released there, and I'm sorry I ever did. I love the vibe of the game.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Dat Mining Melancholy callback

giphy.gif

RedGator

Nov 7, 2017
I enjoy David Wise's music but I never understood the reverence/obsession in terms of wide appeal. I always thought his stuff sounded like old cop movie soundtracks.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like this track and I am also very grumpy that this is a 2d game. GRUMPY.

Run Goku

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds great. Very DKC2 indeed. I hope this game does have moody, melancholy levels to go along with this type of music.

David Sr.

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
This was a great interview. I like what I'm hearing about those level transformations. Hope those really feel like new levels.