• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TripOpt55

Oct 25, 2017
I got the platinum today. I really enjoyed the game. I adored the overworld. It was so cleverly designed. It was fun. I liked exploring it. It had some neat puzzles. The whole overworld gameplay acted as a nice change of pace from the 2D platforming.

The sidescrolling stuff was really well done. Definitely felt a ton like DKC, not quite as good from a level design perspective I don't think personally, but it was still quite good.

Beating the Lair will be one of the most memorable moments in gaming for me from this year. It was so satisfying to beat after having to practice it like 15 times.

I really like how all three of these things tie together. Getting bees from the first two, helps you get further in the Lair. And how you had to do things to affect the overworld books to access the remixed levels and that the effects on the outside matched those that happened in the level. It was just very neat.

I loved this game. I think aspects of it could have been better for sure, but this will rank high on my GotY list.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Just got credits, took 16 tries with 48 bees. Really great game, like 9/10 great. Loved basically everything about it. Super excited for whatever Playtonic does next

Cindres

Oct 28, 2017
In real debate how much I want to continue with this. I'm at 20 bees and really enjoying it but I thought I'd give the lair a go to see how far we're at and what I thought would be a good chunk turned out to only be 17% I am worried I'm going to just get too frustrated trying to beat it, having to redo the whole thing, when I get more bees.

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
In real debate how much I want to continue with this. I'm at 20 bees and really enjoying it but I thought I'd give the lair a go to see how far we're at and what I thought would be a good chunk turned out to only be 17% I am worried I'm going to just get too frustrated trying to beat it, having to redo the whole thing, when I get more bees.
It's worth at least getting up to 48 bees - Impossible Lair notwithstanding, the quality of the game holds up throughout.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017

The journey is the destination. It's really fun to get through all stages even if you end up admitting defeat to the Impossible Lair. I probably won't finish the game unless they patch the Impossible Lair because I rather use my time to play other games than to give the Impossible Lair another shot, but I definitely don't regret the time I put into collecting all bees.

It's obviously a matter of preference, though. If you feel your time is wasted when you don't finish a game, then maybe you are better off calling it quits. But I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Cronosblade

Oct 27, 2017
Cleared it tonight. Ended with 8 bees remaining. I thought I had lost it because I a had a huge panic moment in a later section taking a loss of 6. But made it. Felt really good to finally do it. 31 attempts but really most were restarts where I lost too much in the opening sections.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Ummm. I think I've reached a game-ending bug.

So this area of the overworld, you're supposed to take the supplied block over to this switch, drop the platform, and get the second block at the top of the section above it and bring it down. Well, I did that, and when the second block got to the ground and hit the four-way wind tunnel, the block DISAPPEARED INTO THE WALL. I now only have one block, and am unable to progress in the game.

I quit and restarted the game, but the block is still gone.

Jan 22, 2019
There's a fix coming for that issue, but in the meantime you can solve it with one crate by positioning it roughly where it is at 14-15 seconds into your video, roll-jumping onto the crate and then roll-jumping into the wind and up onto the ledge. I replied to your tweet with a picture, but I'm posting in here too in case anyone runs into the same problem. Hope this helps!

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
There's a fix coming for that issue, but in the meantime you can solve it with one crate by positioning it roughly where it is at 14-15 seconds into your video, roll-jumping onto the crate and then roll-jumping into the wind and up onto the ledge. I replied to your tweet with a picture, but I'm posting in here too in case anyone runs into the same problem. Hope this helps!
Thanks! I will try that out tomorrow.

tomd96

Jul 6, 2018
I've loved the game and got all 40 of the main stage bees plus a couple from the overworld. I tried the impossible lair once with those 42 bees and got 32% through. I'll likely try again but I worry that the potential frustration might sour my overall enjoyment of the game, which so far hasn't been particularly difficult. Has anyone beaten the lair but wished they hadn't gone through it? Or does it just feel satisfying?

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone beaten the lair but wished they hadn't gone through it? Or does it just feel satisfying?
As someone who likes challenges and improving, I would never "regret" spending a long time to beat something.
Despite the Impossible Lair being long, I really like it because you can always improve your play in every section. It's sort of like playing an old-school game where part of the appeal is to waste fewer lives every time you replay, just to get further than the last time.

Figure out why/where you're losing bees and then try again, and don't rush it. I can't see how it won't be satisfying. :)

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I actually cleared that part without issues on pc.
But if the issue is still apparent to some hope this fix comes soon. I am nearing the end game myself xp

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm kinda surprised by the chart placement for this on Switch. I haven't checked yesterday but two days ago it was at 47 on the US eShop despite being a new but not too recent release. The Witcher III was at 9th despite having fewer days tracked and being a $60 32GB download. I would have expected Yooka-Laylee to at the very least break into the top 30.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I don't know what it is, maybe it's that Nintendo has grown and improved a lot, but when comparing Yooka-Laylee to something like Mario Odyssey, or this game to Tropical Freeze, I really notice the questionable game design choices. I used to hold these guys up to Nintendo's standard because of games like BK and BT being just as good if not better than games like Mario 64 and Mario Sunshine. And I understand that the budget is lower, which is fine, but they just don't come anywhere close to Nintendo anymore game design wise.

This is a fun game and it's better than the first Yooka-Laylee, but it's a way lesser Tropical Freeze clone.

I think the budget is what holds it back.

There are some strong concepts but everything is stretched pretty thin.

DKCTF had 4 years of development from a studio comprised of 200-odd employees with the support of the masters of the genre, Nintendo.
Impossible Lair had 2.5 years from just 10 with the support of Team-17.
And not to mention a large chunk of that time was spent on Y-L post-launch patches/ports.

Likely Retro did not put 100% of its human capital behind TF, even with just 50% of it we're still talking 400 years of development vs less than 25.

If Playtonic had more time, money, and human capital I strongly believe they could quite easily match the level design and polish of DKCTF.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I think the budget is what holds it back.

There are some strong concepts but everything is stretched pretty thin.

DKCTF had 4 years of development from a studio comprised of 200-odd employees with the support of the masters of the genre, Nintendo.
Impossible Lair had 2.5 years from just 10 with the support of Team-17.
And not to mention a large chunk of that time was spent on Y-L post-launch patches/ports.

Likely Retro did not put 100% of its human capital behind TF, even with just 50% of it we're still talking 400 years of development vs less than 25.

If Playtonic had more time, money, and human capital I strongly believe they could quite easily match the level design and polish of DKCTF.
I agree. And it's pretty amazing how good it is given the team scope and development time.

The overworld alone could have practically been its own game.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Guess there are no plans to release the OST on Spotify? The original Yooka Laylee OST isn't on Spotify anymore. Bummer.

jerk

Nov 6, 2017
I really wish you could use your tonics in the impossible lair. I got every coin to get a 4th slot and I can't use it for the last new level? Why?

PhoenixSFT

Oct 25, 2017
Superior, CO
Okay, calling it quits on the Lair. I love the rest of the game, the overworld and soundtrack are fantastic, and remixing levels was a lot of fun. Some frustrating bits, but overall the levels were great.

I just can't with the Lair though. Spend all this time collecting Tonics I can't even use, and then that ice section is just cruel. I've got 48 bees but I can't waste my time going through the Lair again and again and again.

Oct 27, 2017

You seem to be "in the know" lol....any chance of getting HDR support or PS4 Pro Enhancements? The box says PS4 Pro Enhanced, but it runs at 1080p and currently has no HDR support. Now that i think about it, there's no way (in game) to adjust the image brightness at all.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Help me out here please. I am 4 bees short, and only 2 are left from one of the main stages, where can I find the remaining 2?
COx4MJx.png

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
We finally finished up Zelda two days ago (and enjoyed it a ton) so we moved onto YL next. I've been really looking forward to playing this game. I was so psyched for the first game when the original KS came out, and would pull up the adorable render of the characters and look at it often, and listen to the two released tracks all the time, especially Tribalstack Tropics.

By the time the game came out we'd revisited BK and found it wasn't really to our taste anymore. Then it got mixed reviews so we didn't bother trying it till a 50% off sale. Unfortunately we didn't care for the game at all, and couldn't get into it.

Fast forward to the announcement of Impossible Lair. It immediately looked the part and I was cautiously very optimistic and eager to play it. I've had the YL theme stuck in my head all this time so I've still been hoping for a game featuring the characters and concept that were so appealing to me. So, the strongly positive reviews and impressions that came out earlier this month seriously got me pumped for the game.

Now that we are playing it, we've played maybe 5-6 levels, and are enjoying it a ton already. It truly feels like the DKC4 we never got, and yet as TheMoon says also a sequel to Retro's DKC games. We're really digging it a whole lot and I'm sure it will only get better as it goes on. The overworld is a lot of fun to explore, too - having just played LA it feels so reminiscent of 2D Zelda. The music is absolutely wonderful, too. And I'm excited to see what other state changes will be like, since the one we played (frozen fountain level) was a fun spin on the original level.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
We finally finished up Zelda two days ago (and enjoyed it a ton) so we moved onto YL next. I've been really looking forward to playing this game. I was so psyched for the first game when the original KS came out, and would pull up the adorable render of the characters and look at it often, and listen to the two released tracks all the time, especially Tribalstack Tropics.

By the time the game came out we'd revisited BK and found it wasn't really to our taste anymore. Then it got mixed reviews so we didn't bother trying it till a 50% off sale. Unfortunately we didn't care for the game at all, and couldn't get into it.

Fast forward to the announcement of Impossible Lair. It immediately looked the part and I was cautiously very optimistic and eager to play it. I've had the YL theme stuck in my head all this time so I've still been hoping for a game featuring the characters and concept that were so appealing to me. So, the strongly positive reviews and impressions that came out earlier this month seriously got me pumped for the game.

Now that we are playing it, we've played maybe 5-6 levels, and are enjoying it a ton already. It truly feels like the DKC4 we never got, and yet as TheMoon says also a sequel to Retro's DKC games. We're really digging it a whole lot and I'm sure it will only get better as it goes on. The overworld is a lot of fun to explore, too - having just played LA it feels so reminiscent of 2D Zelda. The music is absolutely wonderful, too. And I'm excited to see what other state changes will be like, since the one we played (frozen fountain level) was a fun spin on the original level.
btw I was shocked to realize how much fun the overworld exploration part is, I pretty much skipped playing levels because I just wanted to see how far I could get to unlock areas and find things.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair |OT2| In support of Trowzer's GOFUNDME

EDIT: Bloody hell, I need to focus better in this Impossible Lair. Else I'ma need checkpoints. Ain't nobody got time for doing this long a lair @_@

Last edited:

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the platforming in the impossible lair is difficult enough that its moniker can still feel earned if it gives you even like two or three checkpoints total.

In other news, as I have now finished every level (except the impossible lair, which I've only attempted 6 or 7 times), I really do love this game. It's a wonderful experience.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah there are definitely moments in the level design that I'm like..."what? That's just bad." Like having a level that you're supposed to speed run and it not being well designed for speed running.

But most of them are well designed.

PhoenixSFT

Oct 25, 2017
Superior, CO
Yeah there are definitely moments in the level design that I'm like..."what? That's just bad." Like having a level that you're supposed to speed run and it not being well designed for speed running.

But most of them are well designed.

The worst offenders are the levels that get out of synch when you die and they start scrolling again. I really wish there were a few checkpoints in the Impossible Lair.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
For anybody that needs to get a lot of quills for tonics (like me) and was using tonics that only gave you a small amount of your earned quills (like me), use just the Fewer Checkpoints tonic (which will give you twice what you earned through the level) and keep playing the first level. It's very easy, so the lack of checkpoints isn't a big deal, and you can regularly get about 800 quills per playthrough.

TripOpt55

Oct 25, 2017
For anybody that needs to get a lot of quills for tonics (like me) and was using tonics that only gave you a small amount of your earned quills (like me), use just the Fewer Checkpoints tonic (which will give you twice what you earned through the level) and keep playing the first level. It's very easy, so the lack of checkpoints isn't a big deal, and you can regularly get about 800 quills per playthrough.
I did this plus the one that gives enemies two hits (adds a +.5 modifier) plus the one that makes them explode into quills (doesn't affect the modifier) to grind out the remaining ones I needed for the platinum. Got me 1,500 per run on the first level.