• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
dGUX4XS.png

Developer / Publisher: Playtonic / Team17

Genre: 2D Collectathon Platformer

Platforms: PC / Xbox One / PS4 / Nintendo Switch

Release Date: October 8th, 2019

Price: $29.99 / £24.99

Thread title courtesy of Spacejaws, special thanks to Nabbit for going above and bee-yond the call of duty

PuAodWf.png

After testing their mettle with a crowdfunded Banjo-Kazooie revival, Yooka and Laylee have set their sights on one fewer dimension as they dip their toes into a 2D platformer. Set shortly after the ending of the first game, corporate creep Capital B has managed to take over the Grand Tome he was trapped in, the Royal Stingdom, and it's up to the dynamic lizard-and-bat duo to save the day once more.

• YLIL forgoes the Banjo influence of its predecessor to instead serve as somewhat of a spiritual successor to the Donkey Kong Country series, mixing both Rare and Retro elements with Playtonic's own new style. From copious amounts of floating collectibles to secrets hidden behind walls, from vine swinging to cannons that blast you every which way, DKC fans will certainly find something to love here - and it's all running at 60 FPS on every console!

• 20 levels are on offer, but this is no bite-sized spin-off. By completing tasks in the hub world, you can alter the level states to create a second version of each stage, effectively making 40 levels. These aren't minor changes either - for example, a factory stage with tricky platforming can become a flooded water stage with plenty of swimming, and a bustling town will be invaded by a tornado to provide plenty of updrafts.

• The titular Impossible Lair is the final level of the game, but with a twist - you can enter it at any time. Unfortunately, it's so difficult that only the most godlike of gaming wizards will be able to complete it without help. That's where the Beetallion comes in! In each level you'll find a helpful bee friend who, once collected, will act as an extra hit point in the Impossible Lair. Will you go for 100% before taking it on, or see if you can do it without the whole crew?

• The 3D hub in YLIL is no simple level select, as this overworld is packed with secrets to find and puzzles to solve. Fan-favorite characters from Yooka-Laylee like Dr. Puzz and Trowzer will show up here, and Pagies make an appearance to take you to short challenge levels that open up even more areas to explore.

• Play Tonics are new and improved! Collecting and purchasing tonics will allow you to apply a wide variety of game modifiers that can make the game easier, harder, or change up the graphics in cool ways. Using tonics that add more challenge will give you a multiplier that increases the amount of quills you earn in a level. You can even stack multiple tonics at one time. There are four tonics obtainable exclusively by pre-ordering the game (including one that lets you swap out Yooka and Laylee's models for low-poly N64 versions), but don't worry if you miss out as they'll be available as DLC at a later date.

• The soundtrack is a collaborative effort between four composers - DKC legend David Wise, beloved Banjo maestro Grant Kirkhope, and in-house Playtonic newcomers Dan Murdoch and Matt Griffin. If these tunes don't have you jamming out, then what WILL!?

• Fun fact: yours truly made an animation that won a competition to get into the game as a member of the Beetallion, so keep your eyes peeled for some Era representation in the form of Camerhoney somewhere in the game!

EkJQqv5.png

xY8I3Qg.png

Now available on Bandcamp!

kEWA4sj.png

Review Thread

IGN: 8.7/10

Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair is an excellent 2D platformer full of surprises and delights for fans nostalgic for the glory days of the genre. With some clever approaches to the final boss fight, the overworld map, and refreshing levels for repeat playthroughs, this one sits in the top tier of platformers just below the likes of modern classics like Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.

Nintendo Life: 9/10
Donkey Kong Country fans rejoice: this is the spiritual successor you've been waiting for. The worst thing you could say about it is that the overworld exploration may prove to be too involved for those who are in it purely for the runny-jumpy stuff, but those who are happy to mix platforming with top-down adventuring and don't mind adapting to the constantly changing pace will find the best of both worlds here. Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair is a fantastic sophomore effort that pays tribute to Rare's past and establishes Playtonic as one of the UK's most exciting studios.

Destructoid: 7/10
Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair neatly captures the essence of Yooka-Laylee and reimagines it as a new type of game. It's a distillation and a simplification, but it's effective. Then, as its grand finale -- a necessary conclusion that looms over the whole game -- it turns uncharacteristically punitive. It's rewarding, that much is undeniable. But it also leaves you feeling like all those hours spent beekeeping never really prepared you for the final challenge. Those bees just afford more leeway over the course of a very long struggle. It's kind of a buzzkill.

Polygon: no score
On the whole, Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair is a carefully designed platform game that rewards repeat play and trial-and-error. The difficulty curve occasional turns sharply north, but it's a slick piece of platforming, with plenty to see and do. Ultimately though, it's a tribute act, knocking out the big hits with all the exuberance of true believers. I found myself playing the game in short bursts, enjoying its simple pleasures before drifting into mild boredom. This is the central problem with nostalgia. It offers so little that's new.

Last edited:

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for this! It's been oddly frustrating to get a clear answer as to what resolution(s) the Switch version runs at though.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice OT!

I'm definitely curious about this one and will probably check it out sometime in the future.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Looking forward to this. Preloaded it a while ago as someone who really enjoyed Yooka-Laylee I figured this would be another good game. I feel the need for great 2D platformers is not as great as is/was the case for 3D platformers (what with the obvious DKCTF, Rayman Legends, NSMBUD, Celeste, and even the likes of Yoshi, Kirby and SMM) so I'm not as excited for this as I was for YL but everything I've seen does look good so far and if it's another good 2D platformer to add to the list that'd be great.

Alpha eX

Sep 22, 2019
20 levels seems like a really low number, I know they are all remixed but even so, is that just optional to do them again for more challenge?

I'll get it, but wanted to see more levels rather than just an existing one remixed with say flooded water or night mode.

Hyped for this one! Really hope they tackle DKR next.

OP
OP
Camjo-Z

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
20 levels seems like a really low number, I know they are all remixed but even so, is that just optional to do them again for more challenge?

I'll get it, but wanted to see more levels rather than just an existing one remixed with say flooded water or night mode.

From what I've read and seen in reviews/previews, the remixed levels feel like unique stages in their own right.

does this game has a co_op mode?

Strictly single-player this time around.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017

The remixed levels give more bee support and TWIT coins. I've done a few of the remixed once and they show new areas and give some nice challenge. There was a level that I froze and it was pretty much the same level but the water was ice, but then there was a level that I flooded and it was like an entirely new level.

The levels are nice and quick and the overworld is great. Just need to get some tonics so I can get some of the TWIT coins I couldn't reach.

Subaru

Oct 26, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I understand that this is a particular problem, but boy, that tutorial level is SOOOOOOOOOO boring
I don't understand why they make platform games with so much dialogue during the tutorial stage, specially when DKCTF is not like that and I've been playing these games for like 30 years.

(Yeah, I know, there are new players, but they make me STOP to read the text, could be less intrusive and let me burst thourgh the stage)

cvltclassic

Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking forward to this one, though won't be able to play it at release. I was pretty positive about the original Yooka-Laylee unlike many, so it will be interesting to try a 2D implementation. I hope at some point they retry a 3D platformer using what they learned from the first.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Will wait for more impressions on here, I hope the entire OST is godtier.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
I've played 6 levels on a friend's Switch

The game looks really nice technically. I believe it runs at 720p on handheld, because it looks really sharp. It also runs really well too, if there were drops, they weren't significant enough to get in the way of my enjoyment, at all.
The art is not great, imo. This is where DK is miles better. Sometimes the game copies TF too much, I think. There's an equivalent for everything: banana with wings, barrels, coins, puzzle pieces ...
I felt like it doesn't have much of an identity of its own

Regarding gameplay, it plays just like DK with a different skin. It's not floaty at all and I felt always in control.
I loved the "baby mario" thing with Laylee flying away when you get hit, because it adds to the challenge, since you have to go get her before she flies away, making interesting risk/reward situations.
I felt the game was way more challenging than Tropical Freeze early on.
The level design is very different than TF, you stop way more in order to catch some collectables and progress. It doesn't flow like TF, has a different feel. Not better or worse, just different.

Now, those that are worried about the "remixed" levels shouldnt be worried at all: they are really like totally different.
The music, the ambience, the level's progression and enemies, everything changes and really could be considered as a whole new level.

Unlocking new chapters on the open world is really fun. Felt rewarding when I was able to unlock a new level to play in the open world

I'm totally going to buy the game. The only negative for me would be the art style, imo. Everyhing else is superb.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Cautiously optimistic.

How's the collectibles in the game? Like YL's biggest issue was all the shit was just thrown around with no thought.

Even in a 2D platformer item placement is important...Tropical Freeze was excellent at this and made the levels shine when you could tell the flow of the level based on banana placement.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Cautiously optimistic.

How's the collectibles in the game? Like YL's biggest issue was all the shit was just thrown around with no thought.

Even in a 2D platformer item placement is important...Tropical Freeze was excellent at this and made the levels shine when you could tell the flow of the level based on banana placement.
There are 200 TWIT coins to collect, five in every level. Other than that the overworld has tonics to collect that can alter things in the levels. That's pretty much all there is to collectibles.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I was going to get this physically for the Switch, but then I saw that version was--at least on Best Buy--$39.99. So, I went with the PS4 version for trophies and for the ten dollar price difference.

pikablu

Oct 28, 2017
Man after seeing the GB quicklook I'm sold. This game looks way more fun to me than the original game.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Still undecided between PS4 and Switch. Especially now that the price has gone up, it's cheaper for me to buy a physical PS4 version than a digital Switch version. I play my Switch a lot in handheld mode (I'd say 30% of the time) but I think this is a game I'd play mostly on the TV. Hmmm...

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
As one of the dozens who actually really liked the first game, I wasn't really interested once I saw it was primarily a side scroller and not another 3D platformer, but I think the reviews have warmed me up to it.

Plus, thinking it over, the former Rare devs using this series as a bit of an anthology series to tackle game styles that Rare did in its heyday is a pretty neat idea. Yooka's Bad Scale Day anyone?

Noah Om

Oct 25, 2017
About 20 minutes past midnight now, not live for me on Switch currently. Is this just me or anyone else unable to access yet either?

Noah Om

Oct 25, 2017
For what it's worth, when I preloaded GRID Autosport, I think it didn't unlock until close to 1 a.m. Pacific Time. So not all hope is lost just yet.

Haha it's all good, was just hoping to play a bit before bed! I have to get up really early so unfortunately won't be able to hop in until tomorrow evening. My anticipation continues another day! :p

Madmackem

Oct 28, 2017
So is this 4k on x?, it looks super clean but isn't flagged as x enhanced in the library or in the store. No hdr either which is a real shame given the colour palette.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
I'm kinda baffled at this turnaround in quality TBH. Curious about Yooka Laylee after disliking DK64 as a kid and not liking how Rare made Conker adult, (Pocket tales was one of my first games ever, and being taken to a store only to see that the next Conker was M rated made my grandmother nope out of that walmart quickly as I was only 3, so since then I never cared for Rare after that stunt) I was eager to give Yooka a go on Wii U since I loved playing other indie platformers like FreezeME on it, only for them to cancel it with still no true reason to this day (just vague Tech reasons that they never went in-depth about) and act all weird with whether Switch would be at 60FPS or not until right before launch, which was ages after the other systems and they didn't even give it the upgraded framerate after all that.

When I finally did get the PS4 version of YL to try it for myself, I got immensely bored due to the spacious nature of the worlds and how they felt pretty generic, along with the annoying as hell voice that Yooka had, and this was even after the QOL patch was out where you could speed the scenes up or skip them outright. I ended up picking it back up a few months ago after seeing a speedrun of it and had WAY more fun playing the worlds out of order and just goofing off and glitching my way to wherever I wanted to be, since it made the game feel more "Free" and open for me to play, ala Mario 64. Got a good amount of the pagies that way and even made it through the Final Boss door only to get stuck as I had no skills effective against him, but I had a bit more fun when I broke the rules and glitched.

Didn't think much of this sequel at first as it looked like yet another platformer in a sea flooded with them, but then they slowly won me over. Pre-order bonus with a N64 skin that looks super good, and I'm a sucker for those, rocksolid 60FPS on the Switch, which is a miracle moment that makes me VERY pleased, in-game achievements and same day release all led to me preordering this last weekend with no hesitation.

I don't really know anything else about the game besides it having a (supposedly) difficult level as a speedrunner's dream course, and after how much fun the first YL was due to the speedrunning aspect I'm also excited for that, but I wanna try and 100% as much of this as I can until I get bored. Totally shocked by the reception though since I didn't expect these guys to knock anything out of the park save for David Wise, (The moment I played DKC2 on my 3DS and heard the Stickerbrush theme my jaw fell off as I was not convinced the SNES could produce a melody of such high quality when JRPG composers did their best and it paled in comparison) but it seems these guys have made an exciting and fun game! Gladly going to spend some time with this one tomorrow and I hope Wise makes another godlike track like that for this game. :) Whatever the case, I trust several of my reviewer peers who told me this game is really great and I can't wait to try it for myself and be surprised at the level design, secrets, sounds, etc.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
not liking how Rare made Conker adult, (Pocket tales was one of my first games ever, and being taken to a store only to see that the next Conker was M rated made my grandmother nope out of that walmart quickly as I was only 3, so since then I never cared for Rare after that stunt)

That's funny. I enjoyed Pocket Tales as well and was interested in Twelve Tales. Had zero interest in Bad Fur Day as that seemed edgy for the sake of being edgy and it just wasn't something I found appealing.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
That's funny. I enjoyed Pocket Tales as well and was interested in Twelve Tales. Had zero interest in Bad Fur Day as that seemed edgy for the sake of being edgy and it just wasn't something I found appealing.

I didn't know Twelve Tales was a thing as a kid, nor that Conker came from Diddy Kong Racing, but man, I wish I did as DKR would have probably been fun and I know I'd love Twelve Tales. I hope they release that prototype one day as I wanna play it since I doubt they'll make Conker not-adult anytime soon.