• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017

It's hard to tell exactly what Yoshi-P means but it seems like they want to start talking about the full future of FFXIV next month, not just patches. Endwalker basically perfects FFXIV's forumula so it could be time for something that feels different. It's hard to tell if the translation means to the story of the game or the structure of the game but I'm incredibly excited to see what happens next.

Marossi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's good and all Yoshi-P, but when will I be able to play this game? I can't wait anymore.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Normally with expansions the story of the expansion is continued in some way up until the x.3 patch, then the x.4 and x.5 patches begin the build up to the next expansion. It was confirmed before Endwalker launched that this would be shaken up a bit, as the story itself wrapped up in the expansion itself. So now for the first time in the history of the game, we have no lingering story to tell in the patches.

I suspect this is what is being shaken up. I would reign in larger expectations of the formula changing. I'd love for them to do that but they seem very committed to said formula. We've already begun the traditional raid series schedule and the typical Trial pattern. I'm sure all of that stuff will continue.

That's good and all Yoshi-P, but when will I be able to play this game? I can't wait anymore.
Did you previously own the game? You can play whenever you want. The crashes during login were solved awhile ago. It still takes about 2 to 3 hours to login during prime time hours on the most popular servers, but it takes mere minutes to login during most times of the day. You can leave the queue up and do other things too now.

Do you not own the game? Then you'll be able to play it when there's no longer a shortage on the tech needed. Blame COVID, not Yoshi-P. He can't choose when. Though for people in this situation I would say that you waited like 8 years worth of people praising this game, you likely can continue to wait.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Normally with expansions the story of the expansion is continued in some way up until the x.3 patch, then the x.4 and x.5 patches begin the build up to the next expansion. It was confirmed before Endwalker launched that this would be shaken up a bit, as the story itself wrapped up in the expansion itself. So now for the first time in the history of the game, we have no lingering story to tell in the patches.

I suspect this is what is being shaken up. I would reign in larger expectations of the formula changing. I'd love for them to do that but they seem very committed to said formula. We've already begun the traditional raid series schedule and the typical Trial pattern. I'm sure all of that stuff will continue.

Did you previously own the game? You can play whenever you want. The crashes during login were solved awhile ago. It still takes about 2 to 3 hours to login during prime time hours on the most popular servers, but it takes mere minutes to login during most times of the day. You can leave the queue up and do other things too now.

Do you not own the game? Then you'll be able to play it when there's no longer a shortage on the tech needed. Blame COVID, not Yoshi-P. He can't choose when.

I really do wonder if they are going to try to start a grand arc again or just tell smaller localized stories. Cause after the end of uh... Endwalker I'm not sure how you escalate to a crazier degree than what that did.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Hoping to see something ambitious in terms of onboarding new people onto this game. There's a lot of people I know who've tried to get into it, but fallen off the MSQ. I think for some of these people a more swiftly paced levelling curve onto current content with a non ARR story would help them a lot (and they could always do the ZvH arc on NG+)

The difficult thing is figuring out how to deliver something like that without completely bifurcating the existing narrative for players. But I think it's possible. Technically 1.x to 2.0 sorta did it, kinda.

theMrCravens

Oct 25, 2017
A brand new FF MMO would be better for that fresh new start (and kinda reset that MMO bloat), but I guess this is their major cash flow now.

Ashes of Dreams

Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I really do wonder if they are going to try to start a grand arc again or just tell smaller localized stories. Cause after the end of uh... Endwalker I'm not sure how you escalate to a crazier degree than what that did.

So, if we assume that we're going to get five patches before the next expansion, I did notice that the gang splits up into five groups at the end. Seems lined up for each patch to be WoL (and I guess maybe Krile) checking up on them and having a self-contained one patch long story with them. Would give us some lower scale down time before 7.0 properly begins a new adventure. One that presumably will start smaller in scale and then escalate.

The real question is what happens after the next expansion with our levels. We're Level 90 now. Do we go beyond 99 or do they do something different? As said, I try to keep my expectations in check with them risking the tried and true formula of the past decade but... I'd like them to shake SOMETHING up.

Vinx

Sep 9, 2019
Hopefully some of those "drastic changes" is for the gameplay.

Endwalker feels like a continuation of Shadowbringers and the gameplay has gotten stale.

Completely rethinking some systems (like Traits) could keep things a little fresh for another expansion.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I think a timeskip sounds likely and I really want it at this point.

hopefully it happens

Golbez

Oct 20, 2020
/copiumon

Engine rework so we can have better graphics/textures and a complete rework of the glamour system

/copiumoff

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I think a timeskip sounds likely and I really want it at this point.

hopefully it happens

Great as the Shadowbringers expansion was, I maintain that it was a huge missed opportunity not to use the different time flows between The First and The Source to age the twins up 5+ years or so.

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
Honestly don't really care about engine re-works. I'm hoping this concerns gameplay changes or new types of content to keep players engaged

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't think I need a huge focus on Krile, the least interesting Scion. She's a nerd and she sucks at combat, that's all I need and want to know.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
Does it start with N and ends with Ts?
There's no way Yoshi-P is going to allow that right now. Companies have seen a lot of pushback against NFTs, and I cannot see them trying to push that shit into a game that they've already had to salvage the reputation of onceā€” FFXIV is a big money-maker for them right now, and I don't think they want to risk damaging that. Yes, there's the letter from Matsuda, but I don't see them trying that shit outside of smaller games for a long time. (And hopefully it all fails.)

A full single player story release with a one time purchase price?
They haven't even done an offline version of FFXI yet. That isn't happening.

Yoshi-P is going to step down, I can feel it
He said just a week or two ago that he still considers FFXIV his life's work and that he will keep working on it until he can't anymore, soā€¦ no.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
They kind of laid out the future possibilities for the game via a certain character's monologue towards the end of the MSQ.

I'm guessing one of the other major continents, either the New World, or Meracydia might be the focus of the 6.x series, released in parts and effectively being Endwalker's Eureka/Bozja like content. I think Expansions are going to focus on the other reflections.

I also have no doubt at some point we're going to go save the Thirteenth, but that could also possibly be done in a Eureka/Bozja like way, without dedicating an entire expansion to it.

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if I should hold off on leveling some of my lower level jobs in case they announce some kind of level skip.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if I should hold off on leveling some of my lower level jobs in case they announce some kind of level skip.

Any level skip would probably be a one time thing for one job if they add it, and probably just for new characters. Alt jobs will likely still need to be leveled.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017

Maybe, but I'm not sure why he'd say something will surprise us if it's only something he's already announced multiple times.

I wonder if they'll do a "Cataclysm", providing a new starting experience and having previous expansions be optional content.

If they were ever going to put a bookmark in the game where you can pick up as a fresh player without doing all the previous MSQ content, 6.1 would be it. But they won't, if for no other reason than because it would kill their jump tome sales.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe, but I'm not sure why he'd say something will surprise us if it's only something he's already announced multiple times.

I think it's a new exploration zone. They've never done that in post-patches before and the story is screaming for NEW LOCATIONS after the end of EW instead of derping around in four of this expansion's six maps for two years.

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if they'll do a "Cataclysm", providing a new starting experience and having previous expansions be optional content.
That's what I'm thinking.

Now that there's no major conflict and the Warrior of Light is just gonna be adventuring (and, presumably, stories will be smaller-scale), this is the perfect time for them to provide a new starting point for new players. I don't think they need to drastically change the world like Cataclysm did, but from a narrative perspective, if they're gonna give new players a more "current" starting point, this is the time to do it.

That also makes me think that, at least for the next expansion, we'll be exploring more of Etheirys like Emet-Selch suggested. I really, really want to visit the other reflections, but it might be a bit too sudden to push that on brand new players. Maybe in the second post-Endwalker expansion (I hope).

EDIT:

If they were ever going to put a bookmark in the game where you can pick up as a fresh player without doing all the previous MSQ content, 6.1 would be it. But they won't, if for no other reason than because it would kill their jump tome sales.
That's a good point lol. I still don't think it's impossible for it to happen, but that is a valid point. Guess we'll see.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
The drastic changes aren't gonna be gameplay so don't get your hopes up there (not that I have a problem with the gameplay). It's probably more to do with story and engine and stuff. G'raha is clearly gonna be a mainstay member as we explore stuff like the southern continent. The rest of the scions will be benched for the most part. I expect an expansion of Eureka and Bozja, as well as deep dungeon. Makybe a mix of the 2 going into 6.x content. I don't see them doing anything that allows you to skip story expansion. Defeats the purpose for the kind of game it is. Can't see how it works. This ain't wow. The flow of how 7.0 could go many different ways though. They aren't saddled with Ascians or anything and the blank slate could give them, and whatever they end up making more open ended for the player to experience while still offering a specific story that ties into everything.

7.0 is clearly the right time to release a graphics update as well. I expect the machine learning to take the brunt of the work to get the textures looking right for past content as well as just engine improvements for more modern graphic effects (patiently waiting for better AA) and hopefully finally get a more substantial, complete glamour system. 400 slots was never enough, and the limited plates is a travesty. Not even enough for 1 of each job. Just do a glamour book so we never have to hold on to the armors ever again please. PLEASE! But that's a personal want. But memory in general is something they HAVE to address so..

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing one of the other major continents, either the New World, or Meracydia might be the focus of the 6.x series, released in parts and effectively being Endwalker's Eureka/Bozja like content. I think Expansions are going to focus on the other reflections.

I don't see them doing the New World or Meracydia as instanced content. Corvos, maybe, since it's been talked about so much recently. The others they'll save for an expansion because those are major landmasses.

I also have no doubt at some point we're going to go save the Thirteenth, but that could also possibly be done in a Eureka/Bozja like way, without dedicating an entire expansion to it.

I don't think there is any "saving" the Thirteenth because there's nothing left to save. Even the Ascians gave up on it. I think we'll have a look into other shards at some point, though.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd guess a graphics overall, but idk how'd that go when they still have to consider the base PS4 version.

If it's story related, hopefully a brand new cast of regulars.

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
That'd be amazing. I've been wanting to play this so bad because of word of mouth, but it's hard for me to pay monthly for a game when I have other stuff to play. And I have a kid coming in like 6 months. šŸ˜©

It's free until level 60 through the first expansion. I only sub during expansions, otherwise I use free login periods to catch up on patches and other content. You really don't need to sit there paying every month if you don't want. Not to mention you can at least play the base game and first expansion for free (when they allow it again).