• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
This is why they should've kept this to a smaller scope and just remade the original with modern graphics/sound, no voice acting, exactly like how Nintendo is remaking Link's Awakening. Then we could've had the full game in one go. But nooooo....

I agree but even FFIV ds had voice acting. They should have kept it smaller scale while making everything voice acted.

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This is why I think this game was a mistake. If they have to sacrifice one of the most important parts of the FFVII experience in order to make it, it was a mistake and never should've been greenlit in the first place. I don't want to play an FFVII where the only shit there is to do is bad hack and slash combat for hours and hours and hours.

I think this is a bit disingenous. There are multiple games where I enjoy despite it not having an overworld. I think to detract from the fun aspects of the game because it lacks one thing isn't a healthy mindset. If it means that we still get a fun game at the end of it and it is mechanically sound, it is a worthwhile venture.

Radamammuth

Dec 8, 2017
considering they have 3 summons as preorders, something tells me things are going to be moved around.

Oh so they are gonna break the progression. Make a mess by part 5/? ; (
Looks really good, but this unknown number of episodes and the first just being Midgard.

It's a real hype killer, that it seems they don't know wtf they are doing after Midgard.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think this is a bit disingenous. There are multiple games where I enjoy despite it not having an overworld. I think to detract from the fun aspects of the game because it lacks one thing isn't a healthy mindset. If it means that we still get a fun game at the end of it and it is mechanically sound, it is a worthwhile venture.

Think of it this way: there's zero point in Cid being in the game AT ALL if the Highwind is no longer part of things.

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Think of it this way: there's zero point in Cid being in the game AT ALL if the Highwind is no longer part of things.

Not true. While I do think this plot point will be streamlined a bit, or altered altogether, they make a valiant effort in trying to stop Meteor using the rocket ship. Cid plays a heavy part in that plotline so I imagine this is still critical.

cdyhybrid

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in for the long haul, as long as they keep what appears to be the very high quality of the first game up. I understand anyone that wouldn't want to deal with it, though.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Sounds like scope creep.
I don't think they have much of a choice, almost every part of the game is going to be someone's favorite part, and for everything they cut it will piss people off who are buying the game to recapture the magic they felt when they played the original. Generally I think people want them to add and expand, not take anything away.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Why is it all they need? Because this is an isolated game. I'm not expecting levels or items to carry over to the 2nd game. Part 2 is not an analogy to 2nd disc and this isn't Mass Effect. They can build each part as a stand alone entity. Think of part 2 more as a sequel than a 2nd disc.
That would suck. One of the cool things about the original game was everyone finished it with different gear, different items, depending on where you went in the world and what you found and did.

Edit: Sorry double post

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

I was so happy after seeing the gameplay and having a release date that I let my guard down momentarily with SE. Should have known they'd fuck it up somehow.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they have much of a choice, almost every part of the game is going to be someone's favorite part, and for everything they cut it will piss people off who are buying the game to recapture the magic they felt when they played the original. Generally I think people want them to add and expand, not take anything away.
I do have to wonder though, they want to make each of these episodes like it's a full fledged AAA Final Fantasy game, the full feature length as stated in another Game Informer interview. Square Enix has been rather notorious with project development being pretty bad with AAA games, and I wonder how much this will eat into other projects because of their approach to development. Will we see a Final Fantasy 16? Can they even handle 2 AAA Final Fantasy games at the same time? How could this effect smaller, mid-tier development? FF7r is going for the long haul where each game may take roughly 3 years each to develop as Kitase says he does not expect development of other episodes to be any faster.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I do have to wonder though, they want to make each of these episodes like it's a full fledged AAA Final Fantasy game, the full feature length as stated in another Game Informer interview. Square Enix has been rather notorious with project development being pretty bad with AAA games, and I wonder how much this will eat into other projects because of their approach to development. Will we see a Final Fantasy 16? Can they even handle 2 AAA Final Fantasy games at the same time? How could this effect smaller, mid-tier development? FF7r is going for the long haul where each game may take roughly 3 years each to develop as Kitase says he does not expect development of other episodes to be any faster.
I don't think we're seeing an FF16 for a long-ass time

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Even though I'm critical of what they are doing, I'm still getting the game. My final judgement whether or not I think they are doing a good job and if I have faith in future episodes WILL be determined on how I come away from the experience.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Imagine being this far into development and having no idea how big the game is going to be.

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
But then we're in the territory of something like the Psycho remake. What's the point of a 1:1 remake with nothing new to say other than a fresh coat of paint? I'm glad Square isn't phoning this in.

Would you say Final Fantasy IV ds is phoning it in?

Harder difficulty, voice acting, switched up gameplay to fuck with vets expectations on how to beat bosses, new features like augments?

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I legit think a FULL remake of FF7 isn't that hard or batshit to do. FF7 is just some pre rendered towns and a 3d overworld. Hard game to remake, but not some Herculean task that needs decades. Ubisoft or guerrilla games could have this shit done in like 5 years or shorter.

The big problem facing SE is that they aim to make Ubisoft level type of games but they don't have the staff strength. Ubisoft is on a whole different level from other developers when it comes to how many people they hire. It doesn't help that it is hard to find talent in Japan since most people flog to mobile game development. Not to mention younger generations growing up on mobile gaming and not console gaming.

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
Bwahahaha. I mean, what could we expect from the company after the ridiculous way they handled FF13 and it's baffling sequels and FF15 and it's even more baffling post-launch content attempt to tape together the mess of a narrative. The only competent team within the company right now are the guys handling FF14, which ironically was the biggest shitshow of them all at launch.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'm not bothered by this. It's makes sense to be to see the reception of Episode 1 and see if the broader scope/area expansion is well liked.

I'll buy the parts if they're good. Not bothered by this episodic approach.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018

"Fans WILL NOT be disappointed."

In all seriousness, I am very, very intrigued to see if they can pull this off. I honestly thought they would release FFVII Remake in digital-download chunks per episode, and then later on release the full game physically once all episodes were complete. But given how legit the standard-collectors editions etc. look, it seems like they are aiming for a full-on $60 (or how much a new game is in your neck of the woods) game launch. So if I am charged the price of a new game, this thing better be the size of a final fantasy game, not some DLC content - which I think it will be more the latter but we will see.

Oct 25, 2017
If this entire FFVII Remake project crashes and burns, it's going to be seriously bad PR for SE. Honestly, they should never have announced the remake in the first place.

I still feel that the remake announcement was something they quickly pushed out to appease everyone who got pissed off by Shinji 'Ultima Troll' Hashimoto during PSX.

In hindsight, if SE had just released the original FFVII on PSN without all that fanfare, it wouldn't have set off this hilarious chain of events.

ShiftyHermit

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing I can think of is that they story boarded new content for the Midgar section to make it into a full game and are focusing their efforts to get this game done. If the writing is done then the writers are probably working on fleshing out the next part that will have to the in with the Midgar game.

They probably don't know exactly how many games will be needed to finish the story because they are adding to it. However, if the first game is pretty short and doesn't feel like a mostly stand alone title I will be pretty upset tbh.

Hopefully SE realizes the fanbase will be upset if it comes up short and pours everything they have into making each installment amazing.

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
I can not believe they are developing this without a clear plan and scope on what they want to do, this is going to be a trainwreck, especially as this will cross into the new generation can't wait for the Final fantasy VII remake remake for PS5.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol Square. Im excited but... this can only turn out badly. What about sales?? All the XIII games reduced in sales with each iteration. They should get this thing done by the 3rd part.

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
You guys are clueless, sorry.

Old rpgs had like dozens of cities with more dozens of dungeons using varied assets. They were feasible back then because the games were like really simple and cheap compared to anything we have today.

FFVII cities were literally 2 or 3 pre-rendered images stuck together with some collision. There was like 4 houses plus some shops at most. Try to even imagine all of its cities in a full scaled videogame compared with modern stuff we have today.

There's a reason recent games are focused in cities or tiny regions instead of entire worlds. Even the transition between PS1 and PS2 was enormous for asset and resource development, and as result we got corridor FFX and FFXII barely reaching a country.

hsGO0RL.jpg

A0aBngf.jpg

nskHskH.jpg

gWcby4j.jpg

ONS0Vj2.jpg

One game. Far more content than FFVII, made on the PS2. BTW, has a larger world than the recently released DQXI as well, which has a tube world map.

Also...

gqKUfgc.jpg

AiwBtkt.jpg

FGIA4hl.jpg

dcNYu7A.jpg

kmL6HEa.jpg

One game, released in 2006.

Never mind the amount of Tales games, Xenoblade games.

Nomura and SE simply have over budgeted and have too high expectations for this remake. It doesn't need all of this.

The excuses for this project are beyond pathetic.

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
hqdefaultnhkp2.jpg

They can add some variety with the lower sectors.

Why? The whole point is the slums are slums. Aerith's house is like this because she's...exceptional and special. It makes her character stand out and makes her home (as well as the church she visits) feel like a place away from hell. As they say,"flowers don't grow in Midgar." This is what made them so special. And you want variety? Um. Why exactly? How does that enhance the story in any way?

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I can think of is that they story boarded new content for the Midgar section to make it into a full game and are focusing their efforts to get this game done. If the writing is done then the writers are probably working on fleshing out the next part that will have to the in with the Midgar game.

They probably don't know exactly how many games will be needed to finish the story because they are adding to it. However, if the first game is pretty short and doesn't feel like a mostly stand alone title I will be pretty upset tbh.

Hopefully SE realizes the fanbase will be upset if it comes up short and pours everything they have into making each installment amazing.
I wonder how you possibly could make part 1 feel 'mostly stand alone' so much of Midgar is setting up the mystery of why Sephiroth has returned and why Cloud left Soldier. Characters like Rufus show up in a climactic moments and there's no time to develop him. And for example you risk ruining the sense of mystery revealing more backstories in part 1.

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
Midgar is the most interesting place in FF 7 for me, so I personally don't mind if the Remake project inevitably stops with getting out of Midgar, as long as we get a really meaty Midgar.

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
Let's be honest.

As great as OG FF7 is if they just gave it better graphics that game wouldn't hold up today compared to other big games today. It was amazing for it's time but in 2020? Nah. The original game even had issues with the beat to beat transitions for example, like, they gotta fix that stuff. If people don't want that then hey they brought that PS7 port to the PS4 some years ago and that works fine.

Why does a remake of a 20 year old game need to compete with modern games? I've never heard of any remake needing to compete with modern games. Seiken Densetsu 3's remake certainly isn't. They've given that game, with its multiple characters and everything, full 3d graphics and everything. It's not competing with modern open world games nor should anyone expect it to. When Tomb Raider was remade, no one expected it to compete with modern games. When Ocarina of Time was remade for 3ds, no one expected it to compete with modern games. The game stood as a classic on its own. The updated some things, and made things better, but ultimately it wasn't competing with modern games and no one saw any reason for it to.

Why are the expectations for this game so out of whack? Why do people want it to compete with modern games? That doesn't mean it should be poverty and have random encounters and no voices but Christ.

Can anyone name a remake of a game before that was slated as requiring this sort of overhaul? That was seen as needed to in order to save a company? That had this many expectations thrown at it? That required this much thought? At least in terms of games? I can't. Even classics like MGS, when they were remade, never had this sort of expectation.

Last edited: