• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Being stuck with a tiny, four-member party for an entire game is fucking disappointing. No Red XIII, no Vincent, no Cid. No Chocobo racing. No Chocobo breeding. No minigames. No Battle Arena. No vehicles. No exploration. No party customization.
All the stuff underlined isn't out of the realm of possibility. Since they're fleshing Midgar out we can at least see some of those things. You're not counting for a lot of this stuff. Like a place like Midgar has to have a fight club. We've seen them on vehicles in the game who's to say they won't expand that, mini-games who knows but either way there's a lot they can do. The fact they said they'll show us the other sectors and didn't explain what we'll see is big.

Can I play as Cid, Vincent, Yuffie, Cait Sith, can I fuck around in the Golden Saucer, can I roam the world, can I breed chocobos, can I even know the actual fucking goal of this story?

I could go on but I'll stop myself. No. The answer is no.
Man, even if they gave you a 100hr rpg with great graphics, a lot of missions/side-missions, gameplay and a deeper story, say if the sum of the game was above any other AAA games these past 5 years you'd still say it's not complete given you can't do anything beyond Midgar in the original OG FF7. If that's the case then as soon as they made this game's announcement in late 2015 and said it would be multiple episodes to finish there's really nothing they could do to please you. Going by your logic you'd take a complete game for 45 bucks that lasts maybe 10 hours rather than an "uncompleted" game that gives you 100 hours.

If that's your idea of a "complete game" then shit, I got nothing else to say. That sounds crazy.

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
The idea that Square would 'lower the graphics' a little to reduce to scope is baffling. Literally every single FF game, they've been proud of the fact that they've pushed graphics and made one of the best looking games at that time. Why would FF7R be any different?

Have you played FFIII ds or IV ds? FFI-VI Advance? What are your thoughts on those?

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is bullshit.

How do they expect customers to hand over money for the first game with no idea how many games there are actually going to be.

You need to be clear with your customers and not some vague stupid nonsense like this.

I'm not buying it, no matter how good it is until all of the games are out.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
All the stuff underlined isn't out of the realm of possibility. Since they're fleshing Midgar out we can at least see some of those things. You're not counting for a lot of this stuff. Like a place like Midgar has to have a fight club. We've seen them on vehicles in the game who's to say they won't expand that, mini-games who knows but either way there's a lot they can do. The fact they said they'll show us the other sectors and didn't explain what we'll see is big.

Unless they add entirely new party members who weren't in the original game, the party being set at the four dopes we already saw is impossible to not be disappointing. Your party choice is literally going to be between "do I bring Tifa" or "do I bring Barret" for the entire game. How are people okay with that? Why not just increase the party size to four if there's no actually meaningful party makeup customization?

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Being really honest, i'm really happy about part 1 of FFVII because i love Midgar and this first game looks really really great by itself. And also if the remake goes to shit in the next parts, i would be satisfied with the Midgar game, while i kinda knows how the story ends already and wouldn't force myself to play part 2 onwards.

It seems like the most ambitious shit ever, and the notion of scaling the world map to something modern and mainstream is pretty terrifying. Maybe their last resource is doing a corridor game like FFXIII, which would make 90% of the fanbase really mad lol

I'm kinda curious on how (if) they will solve this trouble.

Deleted member 13077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My guess would be:

Episode 1 - Midgar
Episode 2 - Kalm to city of the ancients
Episode 3 - North crater part 1 to the end of the game.

People forget that disc 3 for the original wasn't a third of the game, it was just the last dungeon. Discs 2 and 3 could easily be one 30 hour episode.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Unless they add entirely new party members who weren't in the original game, the party being set at the four dopes we already saw is impossible to not be disappointing. Your party choice is literally going to be between "do I bring Tifa" or "do I bring Barret" for the entire game. How are people okay with that? Why not just increase the party size to four if there's no actually meaningful party makeup customization?
Given the scenarios surrounding the game I don't think that's a big deal, not many people are going to be upset it. Most people would rather have more fleshed out stories rather than wondering who they'll throw in a party especially given how personal those characters are and the scenarios they'll be put in. Like stuff like that I'm not even worried about.

Nov 1, 2017
Tokyo
And people wonder why I keep calling them incompetent. They never should've agreed to do this project if they couldn't finish it in a reasonable amount of time.

People forgot that development got rebooted because it was originally outsourced and "unusable" and seemingly started entirely from scratch in 2017, including an employee hiring spree. For being in development for only 2-3 years at this level of quality I think they are very competent. They might have definitely reused some bits, but the move from outsourcing to in-house always comes with a hit and I think they've managed to take that well.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I mean FF7 could become its own franchise again with loads of sequels and spinoffs

he's not gonna say 3 games and done and close the door like that

They might make a sequel game of Advent Children

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Given the scenarios surrounding the game I don't think that's a big deal, not many people are going to be upset it. Most people would rather have more fleshed out stories rather than wondering who they'll throw in a party especially given how personal those characters are and the scenarios they'll be put in. Like stuff like that I'm not even worried about.

Combat is going to be boring with less character options.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think part 2 will take a while because they haven't had to deal with the open world/world map in part 1.

I'm looking forward to Final Fantasy 7 Remake Remastered on PS5.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
It's a full game and the first part of the FFVIIR franchise.
This is not just a remake of a game, it's a re-imagining of its world. The scope of this project is nuts.

Of course I'd like to spend dozens of hours in the golden saucer next year already but why don't we wait and see what the new Midgar has in store for us?
Maybe there are lots of mini games and some of the best side quests in the entire franchise, who knows.
You can't really have them both.

While I'm sure there will be A LOT of content in the first part, with many hours to spend on it, there's no debating that the story won't be finished until all of the parts have been released. No one is going to play through part one and say "Nah, I'm good, I don't need to see the rest" and feel fulfilled. Similarly, you won't be able to jump in with part two without first playing part one. While the content itself on their own will likely rival the gameplay time of standalone RPG's, you'll need to play them each sequentially in parts. This is assuming they don't take some massive liberties with the story of the original.

Dec 25, 2018
Never was a FF7 fan anyway, it'll be a miracle if it doesn't mess up throughout the inevitable multiple parts to it.
Also the remake is already confusing because when we will refer to FF7R, do we say the first package? I don't get why they just don't release it as one giant game.

Oct 30, 2017
Man my willpower is fading I can feel it
I recently sold my PS4 as I couldn't justify keeping it anymore and thought I'd pick this up when all parts come out.

The more I watch and the more I read the more likely I am to fold!

plow

Oct 28, 2017
It's like being angry at HBO not knowing at Season One how many Season it will take for GOT to end.

I mean, the last Game is presumely 6-7 years away. They want to finish the first and then go on to the second game. So at THIS point, how is it possible for them to know how big the second one is gong to be?

I'm happy they are going this route. Saying "lets fuckin start and we will see where it will take us".

I mean in the end it is possible they're not sure if its 3 or 4 ( or 5 or 6) games because they are still not sure how to implement the World Map.

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
You're assuming they'll stick with the same roster and not add to it. I wouldn't be surprised if Jesse wound up playable for a hot minute. Not to mention new characters.

Bad idea because of the Aerith dies thing. Having another party member that dies takes away from that and they seem to be trying expand upon things in this.

It's like being angry at HBO not knowing at Season One how many Season it will take for GOT to end.

ASOIAF was an imcomplete series. FFVII was released complete in 1997. Bad comparison.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
You can't really have them both.

While I'm sure there will be A LOT of content in the first part, with many hours to spend on it, there's no debating that the story won't be finished until all of the parts have been released. No one is going to play through part one and say "Nah, I'm good, I don't need to see the rest" and feel fulfilled. Similarly, you won't be able to jump in with part two without first playing part one. While the content itself on their own will likely rival the gameplay time of standalone RPG's, you'll need to play them each sequentially in parts. This is assuming they don't take some massive liberties with the story of the original.

I feel a distinction has to be made here between the full story and the full game. No one argues whether or not ME1 and ME2 are full games even though they're part of one big overarching story.

SE wants its hobbit expanded it into multiple parts. I think the onus here is on them to justify each part being a full and satisfying experience.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
People really need to stop comparing this as a 1:1 remake. This is a reimagining of the original and will be told over multiple parts.

The game we are getting next march is a full game and a part of what that original game was... Why can't people just be excited for that? It looks amazing and the impressions from people who are playing are extremely positive.

I just feel like people are desperate to hate this game.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I feel a distinction has to be made here between the full story and the full game. No one argues whether or not ME1 and ME2 are full games even though they're part of one big overarching story.

SE wants its hobbit expanded it into multiple parts. I think the onus here is on them to justify each part being a full and satisfying experience.
Of that, I'm sure they'll deliver. It's enough to get my $110 CDN (or whatever it takes for the Deluxe Edition). I just wish it wasn't so long until the entire story is "complete". :(

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
Being stuck with a tiny, four-member party for an entire game is fucking disappointing. No Red XIII, no Vincent, no Cid. No Chocobo racing. No Chocobo breeding. No minigames. No Battle Arena. No vehicles. No exploration. No party customization.

Midgar assets are worthless in building the game world, because nowhere else on Gaia has the same kind of visual or architectural style outside of the Mt. Nibel reactor.

Nothing they've done here will be even remotely useful in doing the rest of the game, which is why spending all this time and money on Midgar was a bad idea.
Hard disagree. The game mechanics, core gameplay, etc. is there. The foundations are there. They're not building completely from the ground up for however many parts are left after this. It's not like they're going to completely redo each character model and rewrite the engine for each release.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
I'll repeat. ASOIAF was and remains an incomplete series.

I dont get your point?
I'm talking about the 5 books to Series. Not the whole ASOIAF. Pretty sure HBO didn't know at the beginning of Season one how many season it will take to surpass the books.

Edit: Originally they planned a season per book. They rughly did it ( few episodes of Season 6 had still the books as foundation ), but they managed it by cutting a LOOOT of content of the books. Square is ADDING and not removing things.

Last edited:

Brock2621

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
The sheer ambition and size of what this games looks to be is absolutely insane. I joked to my friend that per hour of entertainment compared to the movies that I'd pay $250 for this game remade and little did I know it looks like I will be. Haha

Munba

Oct 27, 2017
It's going to be 3 parts probably.
BTW, seeing the quality/efforts they are putting on it, i trust them on finishing it.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
This makes me super sad, i had hoped that everything was planned and production was locked in so that we at least would get part 2 within a year of the first part's release. This makes me worried that we are looking at yet another 2-3 years in between each part with Square Enix have no idea how to properly plan and manage this game

Black Chamber

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
United States
And people wonder why I keep calling them incompetent. They never should've agreed to do this project if they couldn't finish it in a reasonable amount of time.
Agreed.

Waiting for possibly up to 5-8 years for a complete experience after the initial part releases is asinine.
You do know development was scrapped and restarted in 2017 right? And with gameplay and assets in place already, it'll be half that time at the longest. What a silly post.
Talk to me when part 2 releases.

IllumiNate

Nov 18, 2018
Canada
I think he doesn't want to say because marketing told them to not mention any subsequent episodes to keep focus and not distract the audience from part one.
Also I believe that they honestly may not know if they want to expand the universe once the story that we know has been told. They may want to continue with new episodes afterwards.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I think he doesn't want to say because marketing told them to not mention any subsequent episodes to keep focus and not distract the audience from part one.
Also I believe that they honestly may not know if they want to expand the universe once the story that we know has been told. They may want to continue with new episodes afterwards.
Yeah, they most likely have a couple of estimations based on how successful it will be. Such as if they will just divide it into 2 parts, or 3, and expanding further or less on each part depending on response. The success of the first will likely inform them on how far they will work on the others.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's possible for Cloud to be invested in anything that much that early in the story. He really doesn't want to be involved in anything and just kind of keeps getting roped into coming along for things except when Aeris gets kidnapped. It's only after they leave Midgar to track down Seph that he starts actually giving a shit about anything.

Like, that's his character. You can build up events and the like but Cloud's character is defined by "I don't want to get involved" for pretty much the entire prologue. If you somehow make him personally emotionally invested in killing this guy he hasn't even met before it kind of weakens his later character growth.

Barret has a believable reason to be emotionally invested in killing Rufus, but it really doesn't make sense to give Cloud one when he's still at the point in the story where he doesn't care. And they can't really change that without changing the essence of who he is. It's only when the Sephiroth hunt begins that he actually starts getting invested in things.
They could retcon it a bit and say Rufus invests in some of the seedy places like Don Corneo's district and is the main producer of 'Shinra News' who now expose the idententies some of Cloud's friends, so you already hate him before he shows up and the player really wants to stop him as the last boss (if he's piloting motorball as well)
My guess would be:

Episode 1 - Midgar
Episode 2 - Kalm to city of the ancients
Episode 3 - North crater part 1 to the end of the game.

People forget that disc 3 for the original wasn't a third of the game, it was just the last dungeon. Discs 2 and 3 could easily be one 30 hour episode.
Junon might be the main city of episode 2, golden saucer (and Corels) main 'city' area in episode 3 and episode 4's biggest town maybe Wutai (assuming they make it more important) Possibly a new story that connects to the Huge material quest, one has been stolen by some renegade ninjas or turks who want revenge for the wutai war or something else made up.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy

I mean, the last Game is presumely 6-7 years away. They want to finish the first and then go on to the second game. So at THIS point, how is it possible for them to know how big the second one is gong to be?

I'm happy they are going this route. Saying "lets fuckin start and we will see where it will take us".

I mean in the end it is possible they're not sure if its 3 or 4 ( or 5 or 6) games because they are still not sure how to implement the World Map.

The HBO example doesn't make any sense. When GoT started the writer had yet to finish the original work. Regarding FFVII, the plot is there. The developers know how long the plot is. Also, I doubt there will be a worldmap.

I highly doubt the marketing department even know what's the production pipeline of the project.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Oh, Square. I'm not in a rush to play this, they can take the time needed but there had to have been a middle ground between "too expensive to remake FF7" and the roadmap they ended up with, where they're padding out existing content to justify the split and there's no end goal in sight. Hopefully it's worth it in the end for all involved.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Seems like the game's scope will change based on the sales of each entry. They will stretch it out as long as it keeps selling, and padding out content in these areas. The ideal scenario would be one gigantic complete game, but we already knew that wasn't going to happen. I'll judge each entry on their own as they come out

Look! The Pie!

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
So basically they will milk it for everything its worth for a game or two before sales dont meet expectations and then hastily finish the story in a weirdly low budget final game ala FFXIII

Gotchya

Honestly, I'm trying to remain optimistic but this is how I'm increasingly feeling, too. I hope I'm wrong, but this is how I can see things playing out:

1. Part 1 releases to overall great acclaim. Bolstered by the positive reaction to the expansion of Midgar, SE decides to continue in this vein for the next episodes.
  2. Part 2 eventually releases 2023, covering a relatively small area of the game world (say, Kalm to the Gold Saucer). People increasingly complain about unnecessary bloat and how long the project is taking.
  3. Part 3 releases 2025-2026, taking us up to the City of the Ancients and THAT scene. By now an obscene amount of time and resources have been plugged into the remake project, to increasingly diminishing returns.
  4. *lengthy further delay, Part 4 in development hell as SE desperately tries to figure out how many more episodes are needed to wrap this up*
  5. An incredibly compressed, unsatisfying Part 4 is released in 2028, pleasing virtually nobody and cutting out vast swathes of the remaining game in order to reach some kind of conclusion.
Like I said, I hope I'm wrong but if all we're getting in Part 1 is Midgar after all this time, there's no way I can see this project ending well.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
This.

I know people have time and money concerns, but I'm actually excited to see how this format works. Since this was announced I've been wondering how cool would have it been if, say, the Witcher 3 was divided into three parts: Velen, Novigrad and Skellige each one more differentiated (assets wise), expansive and with even more love put into the Witcher contracts, regarding cinematics etc. (more akin to getting a contract from Olgierd in Hearts of Stone instead of someone sitting in a tavern).

In this format, Novigrad could've been an amazing Assassin's Creed-like enormous city more akin to the books and the criminal, sociopolitical and detectivesque aspects would've shone even more. Don't get me wrong, I love W3 but an 'episodic' complete game format seems full of possibilities for me, something more akin to a multi arc literary saga.

I agree 100%

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
Man, even if they gave you a 100hr rpg with great graphics, a lot of missions/side-missions, gameplay and a deeper story, say if the sum of the game was above any other AAA games these past 5 years you'd still say it's not complete given you can't do anything beyond Midgar in the original OG FF7. If that's the case then as soon as they made this game's announcement in late 2015 and said it would be multiple episodes to finish there's really nothing they could do to please you. Going by your logic you'd take a complete game for 45 bucks that lasts maybe 10 hours rather than an "uncompleted" game that gives you 100 hours.
The difference is this isn't some new game. It's supposed to be FFVII. Until the story concludes, it's not complete, because it's based on a game that already has a full story.

Not to mention, because it's Midgar, you're stuck with four characters, with a fifth jumping in right at the tail-end of the game. You're missing out on:

- An explorable world
- Four entire characters
- Summons (you don't get red materia until you leave)
- No actual main plot to the story (if you think taking down Shinra is the main plot of FFVII, I have some bad news for you...)

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
The difference is this isn't some new game. It's supposed to be FFVII. Until the story concludes, it's not complete, because it's based on a game that already has a full story.

Not to mention, because it's Midgar, you're stuck with four characters, with a fifth jumping in right at the tail-end of the game. You're missing out on:

- An explorable world
- Four entire characters
- Summons (you don't get red materia until you leave)
- No actual main plot to the story (if you think taking down Shinra is the main plot of FFVII, I have some bad news for you...)
You're still saying the same thing tho, there's nothing they could do to please you given they said it would take multiple episodes to finish this game even if each game's over 100hrs long and the sum of it's parts eclipses any AAA game that's come out these past 5 years.

All because of what's after.

If that's your idea of what a completed game is then shit I'm glad most people don't think that way. That's a bad opinion and that's one reason why people say gamers are ungrateful.

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
You're still saying the same thing tho, there's nothing they could do to please you given they said it would take multiple episodes to finish this game even if each game's over 100hrs long and the sum of it's parts eclipses any AAA game that's come out these past 5 years.

All because of what's after.

If that's your idea of what a completed game is then shit I'm glad most people don't think that way. That's a bad opinion and that's one reason why people say gamers are ungrateful.
All I'm saying is GOTY 2019 is RE2, a remake that adds and expands and changes all manner of things to the point where it's next to unrecognizable to its original.

And yet it's still one complete story from beginning to end.