• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019
- No actual main plot to the story (if you think taking down Shinra is the main plot of FFVII, I have some bad news for you...)

Good point.

Shinra are the main villains of Midgar.

After Midgar the game is spent chasing after Sephiroth. Um, so they're going to make an entire game with Shinra as the villains and then...sideline them for the Sephiroth chase?

Unless the story is massively altered this just doesn't sound appealing to people not familiar with the story.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
All I'm saying is GOTY 2019 is RE2, a remake that adds and expands and changes all manner of things to the point where it's next to unrecognizable to its original.

And yet it's still one complete story from beginning to end.
This is a bad comparison because this game's clearly on a different scale than that game. At the end of the day you're sounding ungrateful because yeah, it'll only be the Midgar portion but if the graphics are as great as they are, if it'll be a 100hr game, if the gameplay is dope, if the story is fleshed out and if they give you enough content to eclipse any previous rpg and you're still upset about it, that's being ungrateful. There's literally nothing they could have done to please you from day 1 of it's announcement as they've already said what kind of game it'll be.

People think games are ungrateful because of mindsets like this. If that's you then that's you.

Me? Nah, if the game's worth it as an overall experience and they have enough content to justify it then I'm down.

Dreezy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping with the experience and momentum with Game 1 they feel confident in developing the entire rest of the game for Game 2 🤓

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
They could retcon it a bit and say Rufus invests in some of the seedy places like Don Corneo's district and is the main producer of 'Shinra News' who now expose the idententies some of Cloud's friends, so you already hate him before he shows up and the player really wants to stop him as the last boss (if he's piloting motorball as well)

Junon might be the main city of episode 2, golden saucer (and Corels) main 'city' area in episode 3 and episode 4's biggest town maybe Wutai (assuming they make it more important) Possibly a new story that connects to the Huge material quest, one has been stolen by some renegade ninjas or turks who want revenge for the wutai war or something else made up.
My prediction is Episode 2 will span Kalm through Gold Saucer. If we were to break up the area size of outside the cities (in FFXV scale), from Kalm to the Chocobo Ranch would be from the start blockade in Leide to Galdin Quay. From the exit mouth of the Mythril Mines to Junon would be the size of Duscae. Last, Costa del Sol to Corel would be similar size to Cleigne. I'm guessing many of the towns (Corel and Kalm, in particular) would be around the size of Lestallum (maybe Costa del Sol is about the size of Galdin Quay and half of Lestallum). I'm only thinking a bit what to expect. Junon's big, but not Midgar big. Old Junon would be considerably smaller, while big Junon's mainly a stacked city in a stair-like incline, but each level is basically a long street where all the lined buildings are on the right-hand side and the fall off to the lower level is on the left-hand side. It's a city built like bleachers.

OmniStrife

Dec 11, 2017
Companies milk out franchises with 3 sequels no one bats an eye.
SE milks out FF7 with multiple parts everyone loses their shit.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I bet they are deciding if it should be 3 or 4 parts. It could be a decade until it's complete. I don't really care, though. I know how it ends.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh. What they have so far looks so good, I want to believe.

But it's so hard to trust modern Square Enix when it comes to single-player Final Fantasy. Wouldn't shock me at all if we never even get close to having the full VII saga remade.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
The reveal was handled masterfully. From the fake out at PSX to kill any hope to the actual reveal next Summer at E3 2015...it was perfection.

I really do hope they have a plan with the whole game...even if they say they don't. They really need more people to help out it seems.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
they could pull this off if they go the call of duty route: have 3 dev-teams work full-time on ff7, so that a new episode can release every year. if they only go with one team, there will be at least 2-3 years between every episode (if we are optimistic). according to kitase, they are just now starting to lay out plans for episode 2, which means pre-productions hasnt even fully started yet.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
I think all the doomsaying is a bit unwarranted at this stage. What they've shown looks great and seemingly plays just as well from the impressions, they're also on track to release it while the PS4 is still current despite so many predictions otherwise.
They have far tighter control over the project and its direction than credited for in my opinion.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh. What they have so far looks so good, I want to believe.

But it's so hard to trust modern Square Enix when it comes to single-player Final Fantasy. Wouldn't shock me at all if we never even get close to having the full VII saga remade.
I haven't trusted Square Enix since FFXII and even with FFX and FFXII, those were really as big, world spanning, explorable marvels that everything up to FFIX were. Like when they say FFVII Remake Episode 1 is as big as a full sized numbered FF game, I'm willing to bet they mean something like FFXII and on. I doubt FFVIIR Ep1 will be as big as original FFVII was.

Though I'm just saying, because Episode 1 will deal with Midgar in its ENTIRETY, they BETTER include EVERY enemy that appears in Midgar during that time. I'm not expecting Bombs, Behemoths, Tonberries or shit. I wanna see Ghosts, Brain Pods, Eligors and Hell Houses. Hell, Scotch BETTER be distinguishable from the other Corneo's Lackeys in Corneo's love shack.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm not sure if that's a really good comparison considering that FF7R's source material was a single release.
The real question is if they'll start stuffing it full of FF7 compilation junk.

Legit wondering if Genesis randomly will show up.
vfjWu-.gif

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
This is worrying, you think they would've planned it. However maybe they don't wanna plan it out only for those plans to fall through and have to either pad it out or rush through stuff. So they could just be waiting for the development of each part to decide what the best way to do it is.

Either way, gaming has never seen something of this magnitude and scope before. So I'm along for the ride to say I was there at the very least, and respect them for going all out.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
The difference is this isn't some new game. It's supposed to be FFVII. Until the story concludes, it's not complete, because it's based on a game that already has a full story.

Not to mention, because it's Midgar, you're stuck with four characters, with a fifth jumping in right at the tail-end of the game. You're missing out on:

- An explorable world
- Four entire characters
- Summons (you don't get red materia until you leave)
- No actual main plot to the story (if you think taking down Shinra is the main plot of FFVII, I have some bad news for you...)
Yet we have 3 summon materia as DLC already... :-/

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
The real question is if they'll start stuffing it full of FF7 compilation junk.

Legit wondering if Genesis randomly will show up.
vfjWu-.gif
Hope not. That's a deal breaker for me. Nothing soured me MORE regarding the "world" of FFVII than the FFVII Compilation.

Yet we have 3 summon materia as DLC already... :-/
They are all baby shit.

What's the Chocobo Chick gonna do? It appears and you grab it outta the air and fling it at an enemy like fastball? Cactaur, well, 1000 Needles (no mystery to that). Carbuncle is the only one I'm interested in, considering with FFVII, ALL the summons were offensive. Maybe they plan on incorporating new summons that act as defensive/supportive spells (Carbuncle maybe casts Reflect on all, or Shell and Protect on all).

Last edited:

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
I think it was one Square Enix staff member who said that the company was plagued with an obsession in graphics to the point of toxicity. This game more than any represents that more than any other title they've worked with.

Again.

What does the game need?

Because anyone with eyes and a brain would consider ps2 graphics for FFVIIR quite a step up and quite honestly all it needs. Why does it need modern graphics? Please tell me.

For the record, here's SE games from the ps2:

qe7ycDf.gif

0M2pJ71.gif

v6iAwfH.gif

If they had lowered their standards and went with lower poly characters and small scope they could have easily fit this on to one game.

But nah.

Gotta be extra.

This company honestly deserves bankruptcy.
You realize that those games you mentioned were really pushing the hardware to their limits right? It's the same every gen. SE might have an obsession with graphical fidelity, but the thing that holds them back is mismanagement. Having more people like Yoshida and Tabata (I know he's gone) would really help.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, I'm trying to remain optimistic but this is how I'm increasingly feeling, too. I hope I'm wrong, but this is how I can see things playing out:

1. Part 1 releases to overall great acclaim. Bolstered by the positive reaction to the expansion of Midgar, SE decides to continue in this vein for the next episodes.
  2. Part 2 eventually releases 2023, covering a relatively small area of the game world (say, Kalm to the Gold Saucer). People increasingly complain about unnecessary bloat and how long the project is taking.
  3. Part 3 releases 2025-2026, taking us up to the City of the Ancients and THAT scene. By now an obscene amount of time and resources have been plugged into the remake project, to increasingly diminishing returns.
  4. *lengthy further delay, Part 4 in development hell as SE desperately tries to figure out how many more episodes are needed to wrap this up*
  5. An incredibly compressed, unsatisfying Part 4 is released in 2028, pleasing virtually nobody and cutting out vast swathes of the remaining game in order to reach some kind of conclusion.
Like I said, I hope I'm wrong but if all we're getting in Part 1 is Midgar after all this time, there's no way I can see this project ending well.

This is close to my prediction as well. If its more than 3 parts sales will drop of a cliff for the 3rd part. There is no way they will be able to retain players interest for 3 episodes or more. Its a known story, gamers struggle with this when the stories are unique let alone when we know the whole and story beats.

There already going to have problems with the way they have it plotted, are they going to have the massive plot dump at kalm at the beginning of the next episode. That will turn off a ton of both new players and old. I will be incredibly surprised if this whole thing is finished and released within the next 10 years and the majority of gamers are happy.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
It's about 25-30hr+ altogether for two tiny locations.

How many hours does it take to beat FF7R? Why does genre matter?

Because hours and hours and hours of slumming it in the same bland metal corridors and sewers, fighting the same enemies and the same monsters is boring. An RPG adventure has to take you places, to show you cool new locales, and all of Midgar is the same. "Oh boy, another industrial city area" after 30 hours is going to be agonizingly repetitive.

A short stealth game and a full-length RPG are two entirely different beasts.

Ghos

Oct 25, 2017
An RPG adventure has to take you places, to show you cool new locales, and all of Midgar is the same. "Oh boy, another industrial city area" after 30 hours is going to be agonizingly repetitive.
Says who?

latest

Great RPG. Mostly takes place in Hogwarts. Not very long but also not a big, dense CITY like Midgar.

You just sound like you have no imagination.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully the positive impressions fires up the teams and maybe gets SE to increase investment to allow the development to move at a slick pace with high quality

Hearing the game compared to RE2 remake was comforting

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
People forgetting that we only visit specific areas in the original.. theres entire sectors below the plate as well as on top of it that could possibly be explored.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
People forgetting that we only visit specific areas in the original.. theres entire sectors below the plate as well as on top of it that could possibly be explored.

That doesn't help. Seeing MORE of the same city isn't going to make exploration less bland. There isn't going to be any forest areas or anything natural, just city streets, sewers and metal corridors.

That's the problem. It's not that there won't be places to go, it's that it's going to be incredibly repetitive and samey because Midgar is not a very diverse place environments-wise.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The biggest problem of how good everything looks and feels from the demo is that I have a really hard time believing that Square can pull it off for 30 to 40 hours in each game maintaining that level of quality.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
People forget there was a REASON we didn't explore all the sectors below the plate and those on top. They weren't relevant to the story. Maybe they will find a way to make exploring those areas relevant this time, but I see so many people saying, "I wish we were able to explore more of Midgar in the original!" and think, "Did these people even get the point of the things you DID in Midgar at the beginning of the game?" There was a VALID reason why you couldn't explore all of Midgar in the original game.

Oct 27, 2017
I guess one of the things we can take solace with is that if they stick with the same gameplay/battle system they've developed in Part 1 and use it in the subsequent parts, then "HOPING" dev time for the remaining parts wont be as bad. But, hey, this is Square enix we're talking about :P

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
People forget there was a REASON we didn't explore all the sectors below the plate and those on top. They weren't relevant to the story. Maybe they will find a way to make exploring those areas relevant this time, but I see so many people saying, "I wish we were able to explore more of Midgar in the original!" and think, "Did these people even get the point of the things you DID in Midgar at the beginning of the game?" There was a VALID reason why you couldn't explore all of Midgar in the original game.

I think they want to be able to go to a shopping mall in between bombings, and stop off to watch Loveless after Biggs and Wedge die. Its going to be fascinating to see what they've done to expand out the story and gameplay to a full 40 hour, I cant imagine.

Deleted member 6263

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't help. Seeing MORE of the same city isn't going to make exploration less bland. There isn't going to be any forest areas or anything natural, just city streets, sewers and metal corridors.

That's the problem. It's not that there won't be places to go, it's that it's going to be incredibly repetitive and samey because Midgar is not a very diverse place environments-wise.
There is one place in Midgar that's different - Sector 5 where Aeris lives. If they expand on that sector, it might make for some interesting and varied environments.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

Because I don't need to argue anything. I'm simply stating a fact that what you said is not the same thing and a terrible comparison.

A developer known for problematic game development turning a remake of a game into multiple $60 games (the number of which even they don't know yet) is not the same thing as a studio making multiple sequels in a franchise.

It's not the same thing and you made a bad comparison. The situation isn't even slightly the same.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
There is one place in Midgar that's different - Sector 5 where Aeris lives. If they expand on that sector, it might make for some interesting and varied environments.

That's just the part of the slums directly connected to her house, though, and that place looks different because of her work there. The rest of the district is just as miserable as all the other undercity slums.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The biggest problem of how good everything looks and feels from the demo is that I have a really hard time believing that Square can pull it off for 30 to 40 hours in each game maintaining that level of quality.
I mean, we don't know how long development was going on before the announcement in 2015, but, at the end of all this, it will have taken them 5-7 years just to cover the Midgar portion of the "remake." Even after that long, they don't know just how many parts the remake will be, and they don't anticipate any expedition of the next part's development cycle. That is awful project management and scope creep.

Here's the thing: What they're doing is quite ambitious. It is, essentially, turning a single scenario into a roadmap for multiple titles in a progressive adventure. That hasn't been done before in games, really. But we already have the entire scenario, and people wanted it modernized. The way they are handling things, this is going to take 10-30 years to realize. That's ridiculous. The LotR movies started production in 1997, and were finished filming in 2000, with pick ups in 2001-2003. The infinity saga took about 12 years to fully realize, across nearly 2 dozen feature length films. The avengers themselves had 4 films over 7 years, with the films providing the climax of each of 3 phases of the MCU. Most of these films can be enjoyed on their own, their scenarios aren't as heavily connected to knowledge of the preceding films, the progression of an LotR or typical JRPG. But what's the payoff for the audience when FF7 is being billed as a remake rather than an altogether new experience? Wait decades when you already know where we're going and how we're going to get there?

Something this ambitious needs a better timetable for release, and to either cover a new scenario or adapt a previously unadapted scenario from a different medium.

Deleted member 6263

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's just the part of the slums directly connected to her house, though, and that place looks different because of her work there. The rest of the district is just as miserable as all the other undercity slums.
No yeah, I get that - I'm just saying there are still some chances for different environments to be expanded on (maybe Aeris and her mom worked the hell out of her garden) and maybe there are sections of each sector that are thematically more diverse than being underneath a rotting pizza.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
They don't know or don't want to tell us.
I hope they at least have a plan or an idea... or the next releases will be a mess... :|
I expect it to be a trilogy... considering that Midgar seems to be the first part... seems doable.

Space Lion

Banned
May 24, 2019

Please tell us.

What more could they add?

- At the start of the game you plant a bomb and blow up a reactor. Understandably you need to hightail it to the train so you're not caught.

- You ride said train down to your base, again, because you don't want just anyone knowing your group is involved in terrorism.

- The next morning you wake up to bomb another reactor. Cloud is separated by the party.

- You meet a flower girl who is wanted by the Turks. Taking her straight home is part of the deal you make with her.

- Cloud wants to go to sector seven and reunite with Tifa and Barret, he sneaks off but ends up going with Aerith. They see Tifa heading to the Wall Market to be sold as a prostitute.

- The wall market happens.

- The team learns that Shinra plans on detonating the pillar of S7 to destroy any remnants of Avalanche. You're knocked to the sewer and then the graveyard.

- Sector Seven is destroyed and Aerith kidnapped.

- You find a way to the top plate and sneak into Shinra HQ.

- Shinra HQ starts, and ends the Midgar segment of the game until disc 2.

Of these plot elements where does extra exploration even fit?

For one, you're wanted terrorists at that point. Another almost every single story beat requires pushing forward because time is of essence. The only parts they could possibly allow you to explore more of Midgar is by extending the Wall Market sequence which is already long enough, making the journey to Sector Seven more tense by extending the journey there and making the sewers and ghost trainyard full fledged dungeons rather than three screens tops. Maybe they could add more stops along the way to Shinra HQ but that doesn't change the fact that you're wanted and Shinra rules the city with an iron fist. Perhaps make the Sector on the way to Sector 7 that's utterly destroyed have more story relevance? Either way, what else could you add and where? No matter what it just sounds like a large potentiality for padding. Sure, they can certainly beef up the already existing areas, but add more? Again, where and why? Why would Cloud and gang go exploring all over Midgar after being caught as a terrorist that killed innocent people? It makes no sense.

If all they did was take the above and beefed it up and gave it a bit more detail I could see the game last 15 or so hours. In the original game it all takes about 5 hours so that's reasonable, but SE have said it's a "full length game" which implies at least 40 hours minimum. What could they possibly add to the Midgar story that warrants 25 additional hours of plot? If Part 1 continued past Midgar, that'd makes lots of sense and they could easily make it a 40 hour game without padding. But they've confirmed Part 1 is only Midgar exclusively. I get wanting to explore more of Midgar but how is it even possible to turn it into a full length game without padding? Adding a few things here and there that are new to explore is totally different from turning it into a full sized game. Not to mention that a large part of the appeal of the Midgar segment of the game is how briskly paced it is.

Last edited:

Deleted member 54073

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Please tell us.

- At the start of the game you plant a bomb and blow up a reactor. Understandably you need to hightail it to the train so you're not caught.

- You ride said train down to your base, again, because you don't want just anyone knowing your group is involved in terrorism.

- The next morning you wake up to bomb another reactor. Cloud is separated by the party.

- You meet a flower girl who is wanted by the Turks. Taking her straight home is part of the deal you make with her.

- Cloud wants to go to sector seven and reunite with Tifa and Barret, he sneaks off but ends up going with Aerith. They see Tifa heading to the Wall Market to be sold as a prostitute.

- The team learns that Shinra plans on detonating the pillar of S7 to destroy any remnants of Avalanche. You're knocked to the sewer and then the graveyard.

For one, you're wanted terrorists at that point. Another almost every single story beat requires pushing forward because time is of essence. The only parts they could possibly allow you to explore more of Midgar is by extending the Wall Market sequence which is already long enough, making the journey to Sector Seven more tense by extending the journey there and making the sewers and ghost trainyard full fledged dungeons rather than three screens tops. Maybe they could add more stops along the way to Shinra HQ but that doesn't change the fact that you're wanted and Shinra rules the city with an iron fist. Perhaps make the Sector on the way to Sector 7 that's utterly destroyed have more story relevance? Either way, what else could you add and where? No matter what it just sounds like a large potentiality for padding. Sure, they can certainly beef up the already existing areas, but add more? Again, where and why? Why would Cloud and gang go exploring all over Midgar after being caught as a terrorist that killed innocent people? It makes no sense.

If all they did was take the above and beefed it up and gave it a bit more detail I could see the game last 15 or so hours. In the original game it all takes about 5 hours so that's reasonable, but SE have said it's a "full length game" which implies at least 40 hours minimum. What could they possibly add to the Midgar story that warrants 25 additional hours of plot? If Part 1 continued past Midgar, that'd makes lots of sense and they could easily make it a 40 hour game without padding. But they've confirmed Part 1 is only Midgar exclusively. I get wanting to explore more of Midgar but how is it even possible to turn it into a full length game without padding? Adding a few things here and there that are new to explore is totally different from turning it into a full sized game. Not to mention that a large part of the appeal of the Midgar segment of the game is how briskly paced it is.
Fair point!

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Please tell us.

You pretty much need to have the bombing mission be the midpoint of the game, changing the timeline and circumstances of Cloud joining avalanche, or avalanche's formation, or even having the first 3rd of the game take place without him.

That or have some new sequences in upper midgar, changing the timing of aeris's abduction from the sector 7 attack to a later point.