• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Ono indeed.
Delightworks has appointed Yoshinori Ono as its new president and chief operating officer (COO) as of May 1, the company announced.

Akihito Shouji, the founder and current president of Delightworks, will assume the role of chairman and chief executive officer (CEO) on the same day.

Before Delightworks, Yoshinori Ono worked for Capcom, which he served for nearly 30 years before leaving in summer 2020.

Yoshinori Ono appointed president and COO of Delightworks - Gematsu

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
That I didn't see coming, but hopefully he does well in his new job. They did the Fate mobile game, right?

PachaelD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I certainly didn't see that coming

EDIT: Wish him the best, from a position point of view it's a big upgrade

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That's... certainly a thing that is happening.

Hopefully it all works out.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, completely unexpected.

DW has seen better days so curious to see how Ono will do in this position.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Isn't the guy supposedly a huge asshole
Nothing specific came out. All we know is that he was a "my way or the highway" kind of producer at Capcom based on those in the know.

Looking at their list of games on their website, they're also publishing the new Melty Blood as well.
www.delightworks.co.jp

ディライトワークス株式会社

ディライトワークス株式会社のコーポレートサイトです。
That makes more sense.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Was this thread title created by a random number generator?

This is like Akuma popping out of nowhere and hijacking the final boss fight.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
Look DW, want more money? made more fates Gacha..

Don't overthink this and hire people that fired from their previous company.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
RareFirmDonkey-mobile.jpg

Real life plot twist.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Only really know this company from FGO but this sure is unexpected. Hopefully things work out for Ono

Strikerrr

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they'll make a Fate/GO fighting game.

It worked out well for Granblue and Fate is a bigger franchise.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Wait. WHAT. WTF.

This seems like a disaster in the making.

Which is par the course for Delightworks I guess, lol.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I believe the current rumor is that there are plans for an IPO at some point in the future. So they are getting people on board based on that promise.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. It was pointed out in this week's Media Create thread that not only has their revenue plummeted(with Fate GO massively dropping off in the mobile charts) but they've lost a quarter of their workforce in the last year.

www.resetera.com

Media Create Sales: Week 15, 2021 (Apr 12 - Apr 18) Sales

It's not CC2, several Japanese developers work this way especially with Bandai Namco that has multiple partners. It's the basic reason we know from before if Switch will be skipped or not as target platform.

Kumubou

Oct 25, 2017

I would NOT want DelightWorks even attempting to make a fighting game based off of Fate... or anything else. CyGames would have a much better shot at it (just purely based on their prior successes (or lack thereof)) and they decided to hand that off to Arc System Works (and probably correctly so).

The fact that they're involved with the new Melty Blood scares the crap out of, frankly (even with multiple staff members from French Bread coming out and saying they're handling all of the design decisions for the game)... and adding Ono as the President and COO is not a positive in that regard.

I believe the current rumor is that there are plans for an IPO at some point in the future. So they are getting people on board based on that promise.
Would any investor look at their output (F/GO, which is in decline and something they probably don't see a large percentage of revenue from given Type-Moon's ownership and Aniplex's involvement... and a pile of duds) and go "yes, this is the developer that is going to moon in the mobile space"? Well, people keep giving them business (good job, good effort Sega there) so maybe there are enough morons to buy in to at least let management cash out and bail.
They've had Fate fighting games:

That was developed by 8ing (and published by Capcom, funnily enough), who at least have some experience in that space. It's actually kind of fun... but boy oh boy is it broken. It's basically HnK levels of stupidity.

youwei

Jun 3, 2019
Akihito Shoji, the founder and current president of Delightworks, will assume the role of chairman and chief executive officer (CEO) on the same day.

Mr Shoji was a squaresoft veteran and resigned sometime in 2014 i think , loving some of the games that he was involved
www.mobygames.com

Akihito Shoji - MobyGames

Game credits, biography, portraits and other game industry information for Akihito Shoji - MobyGames

i will give Mr Shoji and Mr Ono my support in their company's upcoming games

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Oh no Ono.jpg

I'm kidding lmao I wish the best for Ono

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Best of luck Ono honestly a nice community representative very nice to the fans not sure how he is to work with though. I hope we get more of his English in the future.

Xils

Feb 4, 2020

FGO Arcade kinda is FGO fighting game that they still update regularly and they also have Melty Blood coming out so I don't see them making another fighting game anytime soon.
Maybe they might finally port the arcade game to console? But the ridiculous business model they use (and made them a shit ton of money) on arcade won't work on console so I don't think they will go through the trouble of porting it.

Hope they will finally use all those money on AAA Fate game.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Congrats to him. For those excited for the new Melty Blood though, does this make you nervous now?

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
Hopefully this indicates a movement towards more pc/ console titles so that we could get that pc/ console fate action rpg many of us have been hoping for 😭

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully this indicates a movement towards more pc/ console titles so that we could get that pc/ console fate action rpg many of us have been hoping for 😭

Type-Moon is already building up their own development teams for console games. They don't need Aniplex or Delightworks for that.

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
Him and Hideo Baba seems like a match made in heaven, kii

Type-Moon themselves have been making/producing Fate action games and they are making a complete remake of Fate/Extra.

Delight Works can keep pumping more Saber-faces and some Sakura Kaku-oh wait! lmao

Last edited:

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
My understanding was that (granted, they're rumors, but from DuskGolem) SFVI got screwed up by Ono and due to that they delayed the game internally by a year.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Congrats to him. For those excited for the new Melty Blood though, does this make you nervous now?

French Bread are the ones developing Melty Blood, they only need to answer to Type-moon who are the owners of the brand.

What happens with Delightworks doesn't really affect anything since they're only responsible for FGO.

Oct 25, 2017
That "they make [obscure game]" meme only really works when the studio is extremely well known like Squenix or Capcom. I looked up Delightworks and pretty much could find nothing more solid than they made FGO and are somehow involved in other Fate games?
They've had Fate fighting games:

They should make a good one. Bonus points if it has characters from FGO too.

Looks like no fighting game involvement there at least.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Honestly I still like Ono. He's a good guy despite the sf vi drama that happened or whatever. I wish him the best of luck

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Type-Moon is already building up their own development teams for console games. They don't need Aniplex or Delightworks for that.

Studio BB is not a large-scale production house. Their stated goals are small-scale games developed in-house while larger mid-to-large scale games are achieved via collaboration, not unlike the Extella games.

For what it's worth, as can be seen from the Meltyblood game, there's aspects of the Type-Moon IP where Delightworks and Aniplex see a continued desire to continue investing on their own end, separate from what Studio BB is doing.